“Snorkeling, Fun, and Family! Oh, My!”

Gallows Point Resort
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Cruz Bay
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 17 February 2014

The island of Saint John in the US Virgin Islands is a pristine landscape covered in green and sprinkled with an array of colorful flowers and exotic plants, birds, and other animals on land while a rainbow of fish and coral cover the ocean’s floor. Whether you enjoy adventuring through the forests or relaxing by peaceful waters, Saint John has it all. The island’s many trails climb through the dense jungle and around the southern arid beaches. The pristine beauty of the island will grant you a whole new appreciation for the wonders of the Earth—It did for me! The northeast end of the island offers a variety of hiking trails through humid rainforests and white sandy beaches tucked away in bays of crystal clear water. As you travel to the southwestern edge of the island, you will run into chickens and donkeys that spot the desert landscape of cacti and dry beaches. Both environments offer a vacation of a lifetime. Snorkeling around Saint John is considered the best in the Caribbean. Trunk Bay offers a self-guided underwater trail marked by signs that identify species of vibrant coral and other sea creatures. For the more adventurous and experienced diver or snorkeler, Haulover Bay is often deserted, but the underwater life is dramatic with ledges, walls, nooks, and sandy areas set close together. A common sight to see is Saint John’s famous sea turtles, which can be found at Salt Pond Bay, Waterlemon Cay, and Maho Bay. Cruz Bay, located on the east side of the island, is dotted with fun restaurants that serve fresh, local food. The Banana Deck is famous for a fun atmosphere that gives you a taste of relaxed island living while Zozo’s offers elegant dining with a phenomenal view. Ocean Grill offers an array of supremely fresh seafood and fantastic service while the Beach Bar is a casual place to have drinks with friends and family. The locals on Saint John do hospitality right and welcome visitors with open arms; don’t forget to stop by their local stores and smoothie stands that line the roads of Cruz Bay. To see the island the best, make sure to book a boat charter. Boat charters like a sail on the catamaran Kekoa offer excellent stops for snorkeling, which allows you to see a whole new world you could never imagine. Cruising on the water with the warm wind blowing against your face is an indescribable feeling. If you’re a beach bum, enjoy trying a new beach every day to sit back in your chair and enjoy the hot sun beat down on your face while the ocean breeze brings you a whiff of saltwater air that is sweet to the soul. Explore Saint John and reveal its hidden treasures such as ancient petroglyphs, sugar mill ruins, underwater cities, and exotic animals of all kinds. Saint John is a place my family will continue to visit because of its family-friendly atmosphere and the joy it brings, helping to build strong, healthy bonds between us.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Grace W
There are newer reviews for Gallows Point Resort

Reviewed 16 February 2014

This was our umpteenth stay at Gallows Point, but we have always stayed in different condos. We chose this one this time, thinking it would be the most quiet. Instead we had neighbors who started whooping it up after midnight. The front desk called them and asked them to keep it down and they complied somewhat. Only to wake us at 7:45 a.m. With the same screeching laughter.

The condo itself was somewhat shabby and in need of some fixing and redecorating. Also, there was a spice rack with several empty bottles of essential ingredients, and the ones with spices in them were so old as to be unusable.

Luckily St. John is a gem, and we will continue to come back to it as often as possible.

Room Tip: Do not rent a condo on the bay. It is beautiful but you will breath fumes all day long. It you l...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Stacia S
Reviewed 16 February 2014

We don't normally go back to the same island back to back years but we did and we couldn't be happier. St John's is amazing and Gallows Point is the perfect location. And the snorkeling right outside our room was some of the best on the island. And the on property mini market was very convenient and staffed with very friendly staff. You can't go wrong with Gallows Point.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 February 2014

I live on St. Thomas, which I am very grateful for, but I've always loved St. John so much better for it's unpopulated beaches, the restaurants, and just the overall vibe of the island. So when my mother was planning a trip to visit me, we decided to stay on St. John to get the ultimate experience. I was able to have a staycation and get away from my everyday life on St. Thomas.

We booked with gallows point and couldn't be happier!!! We are in absolute HEAVEN!! I have never in my 2.5 years living in the USVI seen such a beautiful place! My mother doesn't want to go home, and neither do I! She has visited me 5 times since I've been on St. Thomas, and we stay someplace different each time, but next year we are definitely booking with gallows point again!

We stayed in 5C, and as soon as we walked through the door, my jaw dropped! It was huge and spacious. My favorite part was leaving the doors open so we can listen to the waves crashing right outside as we slept! And the sunset is amazing here! You can sit privately on your porch or relax in the hot tub by the pool and watch it!

During the middle of our stay we had to switch to 5B, which we were aware of this change upon booking. They only had the ocean view upper level (5C) available for the first few days. I'm just glad that we got to stay there at all because it was beautiful! 5B is a little smaller but still awesome! The only thing I didn't like about this one was that the bedroom was in the back so we couldn't hear the waves at night and To me it was too quiet but who can really complain about that? Lol

I love that this resort is within walking distance to all the delicious restaurants. We brought my car over from St. Thomas, but we only used it during the day to get to all the beautiful beaches on the north shore road!

The staff is very friendly and helpful and there is a store with almost anything you need so you don't have to go too far. The room comes with a cooler and beach chairs that you can take with you to the beach.

Overall this place truly is PARADISE!!!!! I'm on my way to lay on the hammock right next to the ocean :)

• Stayed: February 2014
1  Thank Michelle G
Reviewed 4 February 2014

Haven't been here in 5 years and will never stay any place else in St. John. Our unit was modern clean and with a fantastic view of the harbor. The pool and hot tub at sunset were a meeting place to wind down and relax with fellow travelers before walking into town for dinner.
The little shop on site, besides having some essentials, will arrange any activities for you from car rentals to sailing excursions.

Room Tip: In lower harbor rooms you do hear the music from the bar in Cruz bay until closing time. I personall...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank PeteyP2000
Reviewed 3 February 2014

This was our first time staying at Gallows Point. We love it and met several couples who have stayed there multiple times. We stayed in unit 15D which is closest to the water. We could see Cruz Bay and St. Thomas. We loved the views and had our doors open most of the time. We really enjoyed watching the boats go in and out of Cruz Bay. The staff were friendly and helpful. We really liked the fact that we could walk to restaurants and bars, so we didn't need a rental car. We took a cab when we wanted to go to another part of the island. Cabs were easy to get and inexpensive. We will be back!!!

Room Tip: We highly recommend 15D, but any room that has a view of St. Thomas, and also of Cruz Bay, would be...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 January 2014

This place was quite the oasis! Almost felt like we were the only ones there. We stayed in Unit 8B. LOVED the view looking out toward St. Thomas at nighttime. Daytime view was just as good. We would open the doors and could sit right inside on the cozy couches looking out to the ocean (all while not getting sunburned). They have a nice little shop on the property where you can pick up items and/or set up activities (or just rent snorkeling equipment). We had a vehicle which we brought over on the car ferry (highly reccomend) and were able to go explore all the north side beaches. Our favorite area for dining was Mongoose Junction, on the way to the beaches. Loved that Gallows Point provided a cooler and beach chairs to use while there. This was a great bonus! Highlight of the trip for me was going to Hawksnest Bay and seeing sea turtles swim around in their natural habitat (they say around 9 AM or around 5 PM is the best time to see them). Also saw some BIG fish and sting rays. We stayed at St Thomas for 3 nights and St John for 3. Next time around, I think we'd go directly to St John. It's so beautiful!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
#1 of 1 in Caneel Bay
Point Pleasant Resort
Point Pleasant Resort
#1 of 5 in East End

Been to Gallows Point Resort? Share your experiences!