“The Best of St. John”
Review of The equator - CLOSED

The equator
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Located at the caneel bay resort
Grand Marais
“The Best of St. John”
Reviewed 5 April 2013

You will not find a better place to relax and dine on the island of St. John, unless it's Caneel Bay's other restaurant. Caneel Bay has a beautiful location and immaculate facility along with plenty of parking which you don't find easily on St. John.

We were able to make reservations more than 2 days in advance and we were not guests of the resort. We knew the prices would be expensive but didn't feel they were out of line with what other restaurants on the island were charging.

We thoroughly enjoyed our food and the friendly staff. I had a salad, lobster trio and delicious dessert while my husband enjoyed a beet salad and his meal of scallops.

A vacation to St. John should include a meal at Caneel Bay, treat yourself, it's worth it.

• Visited March 2013

Plymouth, Minnesota
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Sugar Mill Restaurant @ Caneel Bay”
Reviewed 26 September 2012

My husband and I celebrated our 25th anniversary at Caneel Bay at the end of July. We ate at the Sugar Mill twice, and both times were a trip highlight. I am a vegatarian, and when I asked if there were any options other than what was on the menu, our waiter and the Chef went all out. The Chef, Shamoy Burton (I am not positive of the spelling) was beyond fantastic. He created a plate of about 5 different dishes, all creative and amazing. He is very talented. The waiter, Wayne Roberts, was a big part of the experience. He brought Shamoy over to meet us and it was like hanging out with good friends. The second time we ate there was even better, since they knew it was our final night of vacation.
I can't remember what my husband ordered (not vegetarian), but he was very pleased with it. Of course, he also enjoyed a taste of everything on my plate. Highly recommended!

• Visited July 2012
Nashville, Tennessee
“Disappointed....”
Reviewed 11 May 2012

This restaurant came highly recommended to us and considering it was at Caneel Bay, we were eager to give it a try. Unfortunately for us, the experience failed to meet the expectations. The location and scenery was fantastic. However, from our first interaction with our server, the evening went down hill. Our server was completely and utterly uninterested in being helpful or friendly. When asked about any chef specials for the evening she simply told us they were on the menu......She was unprepared to speak intelligently about any of the entrees that we were interested in. The food was very good (tenderloin, split chicken and mahi) but the lack of professional service overshadowed what the chef was able to place in front of us. Perhaps we caught her on a bad day or at the end of her shift but for a place as exceptional as Caneel Bay, we expected more, a lot more.....

• Visited May 2012
Stamford, Connecticut
“Ok food, great view”
Reviewed 9 May 2012

This restaurant is now called Sugar Mill.

The location is quite unique - in the old sugar mill on the Caneel Bay resort. It offered open air dining, with lovely views of the ocean and sunset over St. Thomas.

The food was a solid, good, meal... just not excellent. It was definitely expensive for what it was, but we expected that being on St. John. The view and ambiance make up for the food, in my opinion. I would suggest dining here one night.

• Visited May 2012
Chicago, Illinois
“Sugar Mill Restaurant”
Reviewed 5 February 2012

On a visit to St. John, my husband and I dined at the Sugar Mill at CB. The atmosphere was great and the food was delicious. The price was to be expected. We were not overwhelming impressed with the service, however. The waitress had no idea if any of hte seafood was local and we practically had to beg her to ask the chef. She was unable to explain many of the dishes or the wine list. We made educated guesses and the food was quite good.