“Fantastic facilities and a wonderful stay”
Review of Sea Shore Allure

Sea Shore Allure
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Cruz Bay
Reviewed 20 May 2012

We stayed at the Sea Shore Allure in Cruz Bay starting May 10 and checked-out on May 13, 2012. Prior to staying at the Sea Shore Allure, we had stayed at the Marriott Frenchman’s Reef in St. Thomas from May 6, checking out on May 10. If you are planning to stay in St. Thomas, please see our review of the Marriott Frenchman’s Reef.

This was our second trip to St. Thomas and Cruz Bay in St. John, and our first stay at the Sea Shore Allure. There were five of us on this trip, my wife and I, and two adult children (30+) and one of their spouse’s.

During the reservation process, I spoke with Wendell over the telephone at Sea Shore Allure several times and he was very, very helpful.

We were met at the ferry doc by Delrise (pronounced Del-reese) and she took us to the Sea Shore Allure. We were overwhelmed when we arrived.

We met Wendell when we arrived, and a little later we met Delbert, one of the owners. I am not sure if Delrise is one of the owners, but all three people were extremely helpful and wonderful to talk with.

Without question, the Sea Shore Allure is one of the most beautiful places we have ever stayed. It is in its second year of operation. It is a small place with one, two and three bedroom units. No expense has been spared in building this wonderful place. Photographs do not reflect the beauty of this facility. It has a small private pool, with an outdoor entertainment area, with a long table, chairs, flat screen satellite TV, Sirius satellite radio, surround sound around the pool, etc. This place is absolutely wonderful.

We had a two bedroom unit. The floors are tile along with beautiful hardwood. The showers in both bathrooms have four adjustable overhead rain shower heads along with a single wall shower head. You can set the water flow on these any way you want. The master bath also has a very large Jacuzzi tub. The furnishings are top quality, with a flat screen satellite TV, satellite Sirius radio, and stereo with surround sound. The surround sound was planned as part of the building as all speakers are built into the walls. This entire place was extremely well planned. The cabinets are top quality, with a dark wood finish.

Everything in these units has been well thought out. There is a washer and dryer, full size refrigerator with ice maker and filtered water, stove, microwave, coffee maker, hair dryers, etc. Everything amenity has been provided. Pots, pans, dishes, silverware, utensils, glasses, cups, etc., and everything is top quality.

Each room also has its own private balcony with and eating table and chairs. A hot tub is located on a central area of the third floor. An “occupied” sign is available for use before entering the area to ensure your privacy.

The stone work inside the bathrooms, as well as outside the building, incorporates the use of sea shells and conch shells. I have never seen this before and it is very beautiful and creative. Our daughter is into art, and she was totally impressed. I think you will be completely overwhelmed when you see this facility. While we were there, there were several people planning for their stay and also a wedding to take place at Sea Shore Allure. This was their first visit, and they were totally blown away. I could here them oohing and awing the entire time they were there during their planning session.

As with most places in Cruz Bay, there is really not a beach for swimming. You really need to travel to Hawksnest Bay, Trunk Bay, Cinnamon Bay, etc., to swim and snorkel. Sea Shore Allure is about a 10 minute walk from the ferry dock and the beach front restaurants and bars. There is no room to park down near the beach at night, so walking, or calling a taxi are the two choices. The walk is not bad at all.

We rented a car from Varlack Auto Rental through Sea Shore Allure. Going through Sea Shore Allure will get you a 10% discount from Varlack. We used the car to drive to all the various beaches, go snorkeling, and also to drive over to Coral Bay. If you drive to Coral Bay, take route 10 across the island. About halfway there you will find a few stores in one of the sharp turns on the road. A place called TuTu Much is located there, so this will help you identify the location. It is one of the very few places that has stores on Route 10 once you get outside of Cruz Bay. Park your car and get out and walk about 40 yards up the road. This is a fantastic view of Coral Bay from one of the highest points on the island. You can take a hundred pictures, but none of them will capture the beauty as seeing it with your own eyes. From this viewpoint you can also see many of the British Virgin Islands.

I would recommend three places to eat in Cruz Bay: The Beach Bar, The Banana Deck, and also Sam & Jack’s Deli:

The Beach Bar is great for happy hour and watching the sun set. We ate there twice last year and once on this stay. The food is good, and not expensive. It is cooked right there in their little kitchen. We thoroughly enjoyed sitting at the bar and watching the sun set. If you are into sunsets and want to sip on a Painkiller or other drink, the Beach Bar is hard to beat.

The Banana Deck is right across the street from the Beach Bar and up a few flights of stone stairs. The view of the sunset is not as good, but the food is excellent and more expensive. Their steak is fabulous, and the sea food is also excellent. We had happy hour at the Beach Bar, then went across the street and ate at the Banana Deck. The food was so good we just had to go back the next night and eat there again.

Sam & Jack’s Deli is a great place to eat, as well as a place to buy pre-prepared food to bring back to your room. If you are on vacation, and don’t want to cook, and don’t want to eat at a restaurant, Sam & Jack’s Deli is the place to get your food. It is a little more expensive than going to the grocery store, but the food can’t be beat. This deli has excellent food for both take-out and also for eating there. The selection is great, and everything we had to eat was excellent. The help is very friendly, and with the vast selection they offer, it is hard to make-up your mind as to what you may want to get.

And now, back to Sea Shore Allure. Trust me, you cannot go wrong by staying at the Sea Shore Allure. We are ready for our next trip back there.

As it was for us last year, the worse part of the trip will be your departing experience at the St. Thomas airport. Allow two hours. We flew American Airlines. The AA counter is a perfect example of total confusion and chaos. Although there is a Priority access lane for gold, etc., members, it is in name only and doesn’t really exist. And the AA reps behind the counter seem to have attitudes. Be patient. It wasn’t bad going through customs, but going through the TSA baggage process and security is very inefficient. Just plan for a long and confusing process, and you will be okay. There is no reason to get upset, because getting upset won’t make things move any faster. Everyone is working on “island time”, so just chill out and remember the wonderful times you had during your visit.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
11  Thank MB_and_Dave

Reviewed 27 March 2012

My wife and I stayed at Sea Shore Allure near Cruz Bay for 6 nights in March, 2012. Our large one bedroom suite was new, clean, spacious and had everything within that we cared about. A full gift basket greeted us. Room was very quiet which was a problem for people we met who stayed in Cruz Bay. A nice porch though the chairs are a bit uncomfortable. Pool is small but nice. Jacuzzi on 3rd floor. We didn't use the barbecue at the pool, but it's a good feature. Nice sea view but not much of a beach. Delbert, who was managing the property while we were there, picked us up at the ferry and was very friendly. We did not ask for any services, so we have no idea what services are offered. If you need sheets changed, more towels, cleaning service, it may be available at a cost. We rented a Jeep Wrangler at Verlack through Sea Shore Allure (at a 10% discount) and it was perfect. The walk into town (parking there is a problem) and its great restaurants is a solid 10 minutes. Not charming but safe. We enjoyed it.

St. John is a beautiful island with exceptional beaches. You need a car. The roads are all excellent and driving on the left with an American (left drive) car is easy because there is no stretch of road on the Island where passing is even a possibility and the speed limit is only 20mph. We snorkeled at 7 beaches and the best by far was Waterlemon Cay, a 25 minute walk from the parking area. The water was clearer, the coral much healthier and the number and variety of fish the greatest. Good opportunity to swim with turtles & large rays. Hiking trails all over the Island are terrific. "St. Jean Off the Beaten Track" by Singer is a necessary guide to everything. You can buy the essential Nat'l Geographic map at the National Park Visitors Center near Mongoose Junction. There can't be a more beautiful island in the Caribbean. The topography is the closest we've seen to Lord Howe, Moorea and Bora Bora, though the snorkeling falls well short of those islands.

Room Tip: All rooms face the water.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank BunkyVA
Reviewed 2 March 2012

My wife and I have high expectations and we were not disappointed with SeaShore Allure. The place is fabulous. We stayed in Unit 1 with our 2 kids and absolutely loved it.

Sea Shore Allure is very well maintained and in great shape. The owners are extremely nice and went over and above what one would expect. They had a cocktail and hor dour-eves reception on Friday night. It was very classy and good.

In addition, we had a flat tire with our Budget Rental Car. Budget was not helpful at all (do not recommend them) and no one else on the island could find the right tire.

The owners had one shipped in from St. John, had it installed for us and brought the car back.

That is amazing service.

Highly recommended

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 November 2011

Seashore Allure is phenomenal! This location was perfect. We could walk to stores and restaurants and it was only a short drive to several of St. John's beautiful beaches. We stayed in the two bedroom unit. The unit was absolutely gorgeous and impeccable in every way – incredibly clean, top notch products (linens, furnishings, dishes, and more) and keen/heartfelt attention to detail with the décor. The kitchen is amazing (stainless steel, granite, wine refrigerator, etc) and has everything you need to bake, cook, drink and be merry! The property is well maintained and the pool area was quiet and relaxing. Even the small details are taken care of and meet your every need -- from beach chairs, beach towels, coolers, bug spray, sun block and laundry detergent that is provided for every unit.

The owners and property manager (Kristin) made our stay even more enjoyable. They were there to greet us at the dock when we arrived on the island. There was a friendly smile every day. They were very helpful in giving suggestions on where to go on the island. My husband and I celebrated our 10 year anniversary on this trip. When Kristin found out it was our anniversary, she went out of her way to make it so much more memorable for us. We decided to do a last minute renewal ceremony. Kristin made sure we had flowers and a photographer. The ceremony was on the property at sunset and it was absolutely gorgeous. To top it off Kristin is a licensed Officiant and was able to renew our vows. Kristin added a personal touch, smile and happiness to everything!

Can’t wait to go back!!

Room Tip: The photos speak themselves. All rooms are phenomenal with the biggest different being the jacuzzi...
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank RKEstep
Reviewed 7 November 2011

Seashore Allure is absolutely amazing!!! We traveled to St John USVI for our honeymoon and stayed in unit #1 Areola. Prior to our departure Kristen setup our rental car for the week and gave us detailed instructions on how to get from the airport to St John. Once we arrived she was there to welcome us and transport us to our condo. The property is immaculate! Beautiful wood floors and a kitchen we could only dream of! The bathroom is luxurious with travertine tile, a rainshower, a jacuzzi, and a bidet! If you forget something don't worry the condos stocked with anything you could possibly need. The bedroom was perfect with a canopy bed that my wife loved. The living room had a large tv with satellite cable and the high speed internet was faster than my connection at home. We explored the island in the jeep for most of the week, visiting different beaches and hiking the trails. Seashore Allure provided beach chairs, coolers, and even tupperware to pack lunches for the beach. Every night we walked into town (Cruz Bay) and had dinner at one of the many restaurants and drinks at the bars. We couldn't believe the location! It has to be the only place that is that close to town, and still on the water! The public parking for Cruz Bay is honestly right by the condo, so to walk to town was a piece of cake; we always felt so safe. An awesome grocery store is nearby with everything from Spaghettios to gourmet cheeses. We spent some of our time at the pool and took advantage of the tiki hut tv and bar area. The property is so close to town, but it felt so private at the same time. The hot tub has a breathtaking view, and the feeling of the property was romantic for us as honeymooners. I can see returning with our families at some point! I have recommended Seashore Allure to all of our friends. You really can't beat the location, luxury, and the people! The owners and staff were the sweetest people, and the manager Kristen was very welcoming and full of suggestions for us. As for the island itself, I could vacation here for the rest of my life! If you like hiking, do boars head by salt lake pond (a-mazing!) and the trail to salomon bay! Thank you for a perfect honeymoon spot!! We can't wait to come back to Seashore Allure for many years to come!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Jeff S
Reviewed 23 October 2011

I recently got married on St. John, and we had Sea Shore Allure all to ourselves and 17 of our guests. We were absolutely floored when we walked on to the property. The pictures are nice, but do not do justice to the luxury you are walking in to when you arrive on this property.... luxury in every little detail, and the maintenance on the property is impeccable. Kristin was amazing not only in her hospitality services, but she helped me plan my wedding as well, recommending so many wonderful wedding vendors, as I had never been to St. John.

One of my guests even said that Sea Shore Allure was nicer and more luxurious than the Ritz Carlton in St. Thomas! I encouraged my guests to explore the nightlife in St. John, but no one wanted to leave the property, so every evening the party was poolside at Sea Shore Allure!

The only downside, and the reason why I am giving 4 stars instead of 5, was that the condos that I booked had to be 100% paid for two months prior to our arrival. With wedding planning, there are always unforeseen circumstances, and I wish they could have been more flexible with me when I had some guests cancel a couple of weeks before the wedding and other guests who ended up not staying as long as they had originally planned. Sea Shore Allure would not give me a refund on the rooms, so I ended up losing the money for the unused days. That was disappointing.

But otherwise, I and all of my guests had a wonderful stay and created very special moments there, and I would absolutely recommend Sea Shore Allure to anyone looking for a fabulous place to stay in St. John!

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank simonehdesign
Reviewed 19 October 2011

We had so much fun at this place. We were there for our friend's wedding and stayed for four nights. I absolutely recommend it! Kristen the property manager was very accommodating, helpful and charming...she was really on top of things and made sure that everything was perfect. Even that we wouldn't miss our ferry! As a designer who works in the hospitality industry, I appreciate the fact that there was great attention to details, from finishes to top of the line appliances: wonderful bathrooms and fully equipped kitchen. You don't have to compromise comfort while staying here. The location is perfect: peaceful, and at the same time walking distance from the main restaurant and bar area. It is definitely a great place!!!

• Stayed: October 2011
#2 of 4 in Cruz Bay
Caneel Bay Resort
Caneel Bay Resort
#1 of 1 in Caneel Bay

Been to Sea Shore Allure? Share your experiences!