“You will love the Fatty Crab.”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Fatty Crab - CLOSED

Fatty Crab
Price range: US$10 - US$32
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Barbecue, Spanish, Asian, Fusion, Wine Bar, Malaysian
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Bar Scene, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol
Description: Serving Funky Southeast Asian Inspired Cuisine!We serve our food in an unconventional manner, where there are no appetizers or entrees. The food comes out of the kitchen as it is prepared by the Chef. Therefore, we recommend ordering several dishes off of the menu and encourage sharing. Our cuisine is made up of locally sourced ingredients when available. Our flavor profiles are comprised of spice, sweet, sour, salty, and savory. Our cocktails are just as flavorful and as interesting as our cuisine. All of our wines were sourced from Michael Skurnik Wines and were hand-picked by Michael himself. The wines were selected to complement the wide variety of flavors in our cuisine and they were shipped in temperature controlled containers to ensure the integrity of the wines.We believe this style of dining creates an intimate, comfortable, and fun atmosphere. We serve sophisticated dishes in an unpretentious manner.If you are a diner looking for a traditional dining experience, there are lots of other great restaurants on island, come in for a drink and we'll recommend a few.Live well and be happy!
“You will love the Fatty Crab.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2014 via mobile

Delicious. This was our favorite restaurant of the week. Try the watermelon and crispy pork. The poke tuna was great! Spicy tuna roll best I've ever had. Great drinks too. Service was fast and very friendly. I will definitely come back.

Visited August 2014
1 Thank Alisa100

Boston, Massachusetts
“Our favorite dinner on island.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014

We had our last dinner at Fatty Crab and it was absolutely excellent. You MUST try Josephine's greens, the dressing is phenomenal. I love the small plates style of eating so this was right up my alley. The spicy flavors were perfect, definitely a "different" experience than other restaurants on island, we loved it.

Visited May 2014
Northern California
“Too Many Rules!!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2014

We decided to eat at the Fatty Crab since we had a positive experience the year before last on our annual trip to St. John. This time our experience was different. I called in advance to make sure that they had vegetarian options available for my husband and daughter. I was assured by the girl who answered the phone that several of their dishes could be made vegetarian. When we arrived we were unfortunately assigned to a server named Jeremy. We explained our situation and that I had called. He immediately told us that only one dish they had could be made vegetarian. We asked about the pad thai-he claimed it was made with meat sauce. Who makes pad thai with meat sauce?? We later found out that was not the case. He told us about all these rules with the dishes-we could not do this, we could not do that, only one dish could come to the table at a time, etc. He was completely unhelpful and had an attitude. We should have left the restaurant then! My husband and daughter will eat fish so we decided to stay. The best part came when we wanted to pay for the check. My daughter's friend was with us and she wanted to put her part of the meal on her credit card. Again we had to deal with Jeremy's attitude and rules. He claimed he could not put her part on the her credit card. He told us that the computer would only let him split the check down the middle on 2 credit cards!
We thought that was crazy and never heard of such a thing. We again found out later that was not the case and he could have done what we asked. Jeremy definitely needs an attitude adjustment!
I have to say that the food we ordered was very good and we all enjoyed it. I was disappointed with the small glass of ice tea I ordered. It was $5.00 with NO refills and it was mostly ice!
I have to say that despite the delicious food we will will not be returning to the Fatty Crab on our next trip to St. John. The poor attitude of the servers there and their supposedly ridiculous rules ruined our dinner experience. They need to get rid of Jeremy!

• Visited July 2014
Bedminster, New Jersey
“Pretty good”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2014 via mobile

My wife and I ate here last night. Food was good but not great, service was friendly, and the price was high even by St. John standards. The restaurant is nice and the food is unique, but overall not a particularly memorable experience and I'm not sure we would feel the need to come back anytime soon.

Alpharetta,Ga
“It left me feeling crabby!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014

I was so excited for this meal and it was really disappointing. Our server started out very enthusiastic when taking our drink orders but went downhill from there. We made sure that he approved of our food orders and he said that we made good choices. We ordered the watermelon pickle and crispy pork which was beautiful but very bland. The fatty slider were dry and overcooked. Our server disappeared and never refilled our water or asked if we wanted more drinks. He also didn't ask us how we liked our food!! So sad. We won't be back.

• Visited June 2014