Hillcrest Guest House
Gallows Point Resort(Cruz Bay)(Great Value!)
US$444
St. John Inn(Cruz Bay)(Great Value!)
US$307
Travelocity
Cruz Bay Boutique Hotel(Cruz Bay)(Great Value!)
US$301
  • Breakfast included
TripAdvisor
Caneel Bay Resort(Caneel Bay)
  • Pool
Elysian Beach Resort(East End)
Hotels.com
Secret Harbour Beach Resort(Benner)
TripAdvisor
All reviewsfridge was stockedbottles of liquorhill crestview of cruz bayorchid suitebeach chairsst johnair conditionerclose to downtownscreened porchsteep walkliving room and bedroombeautiful viewnational parkcan't wait to go backguesthousephillips
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 20 November 2011

Phyllis, the owner, was wonderful. Our room was stocked with wine, rum, breakfast foods, cold drinks, and even ice cream! We had a nice view of Cruz Bay and the use of coolers, snorkel gear, and free DVDs to watch in the evening. Our room was a little worn and the bathroom needed a little attention, but the outstanding price and location make these minor issues. Highly recommended and we would definitely stay there again. St. John was fantastic and we thoroughly enjoyed the hiking and snorkeling on the island. Trunk Bay is has the 'snorkel trail' and all the tourists. I'd recommend going there early in the morning, then moving on down the road to another bay when all the tourists show up. We did several hikes, including the Reef Bay and Ram's Head trails - both great hikes.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank coffmake
Reviewed 30 October 2011

I stayed here as it was one of the cheapest places to stay on the island (not cheap in general terms however) but was disappointed mainly with the standard of cleanliness and the insect infestations but let's start with the positives :
Pros - excellent location, walking distance to cruz bay shops and restaurants (however the steep hill climb was not easy esp in the heat), owner picked up from ferry terminal, welcome guest basket of fruits very nice touch, AC in good working order and good sized rooms.

Cons - thick layer of grime on most surfaces including the kitchen, holes in the mosquite grilles so hey got in and we got bitten to death and worst of all at night cockroaches came out to play in the kitchen!
I wanted to leave but my travelling companion refused. I wish I had as despit how beautiful st john was as an islanf when I remember it the memories as marred by the dread I felt on having to return to this place...

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
10  Thank SXR101
hillcreststjohn, Owner at Hillcrest Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 22 November 2011

A professional crew cleans suites before and after arrival. Guest are encouraged to place trash in receptacles just outside their door. Suites are inspected and sprayed in case of attracting anything crawling.

Reviewed 26 June 2011

Give it a try, much nicer than a hotel. Walking distance to everything, charming with great food. Hosts know all the ends and outs of the island and are excellent and friendly innkeepers. I come to St John a lot and always recommend this place. Great value, great people, great place.

Reviewed 16 May 2011

I chose Hillcrest after reading consistent online reviews for 2 years. My last visit to St. John I stayed at Caneel Bay which is extremely pricey. I have to say I enjoyed this trip even more! The owner of the Hillcrest was so welcoming and such a lovely woman. I loved her dogs as well! We stayed in the Front Suite. She stocked the room with lots of alcohol and some snacks and breakfast food, so basically we just ate dinner out each night. So close to town, the hill is a little too steep for me to climb but going down was a breeze. Easily took cabs everywhere, it turned out cheaper than renting a jeep, plus didn't have to worry about navigating those roads! The absolute ONLY recommendation I could think of is to bring your own snorkel equip. or rent it down at Low Key Water Sports. The owner keeps a few sets but if other guests are using your size fins your out of luck. If I had $$ I'd buy some snorkel equipment to donate to the Hillcrest. Loved it and can't wait to visit again.!!!!!!

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with friends
4  Thank musicsaves9
Reviewed 9 May 2011

I had a wonderful time staying here. The place was beautiful, the view was spectacular and the owner was such a pleasure to be around. I think everyone will have an experience like mine when staying here. You will not find another place as welcoming on the island. The owner really makes you feel like family.

• Stayed: May 2011