“Home away from home”

Hillcrest Guest House
Ranked #3 of 5 Cruz Bay B&B and Inns
“Home away from home”
Reviewed 27 July 2013 via mobile

I decided for my vacation this year I was going to St. John virgin islands. I choose Hillcrest because it seemed to be a alternative to the traditional tourist hotel experience. Plus that price was great and close to Cruz bay. When I arrive to Hillcrest I was greeted with a warm smile and great welcoming spirit from Phylis Hall she seemed happy to host our stay. The room smelled fresh and clean and we had all the standard amenties a traditional hotel room has such as towels, shampoo, conditioner and lotion. In the room I was surprised to find plenty of treats and items for our use free of charge such as bacon and eggs for breakfast, a bottle of Cruz bay rum , 12oz can of coca- cola products in the frig and plenty of gourmet snacks all free of charge. Also she provided snorkel gear and beach chairs along with beach towels for our use. We used the snorkel gear and chairs everyday of our stay and returned them at the end of our stay. The good beaches are very close and Reataurant are in walking distance. I recommend to visit the Rum Hut during happy hour to find $3 drinks served between 4-6pm. I recommend the "painkiller" and
the collattas. Im So glad I discovered such a gem that offered home away from home amenities. Thank you Phylis for a great room with an amazing view and for such a great stay. I will stay at Hillcrest guest house on my next visit to st John.

3 Thank Seaside770

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Reviewed 14 June 2013

san diego's north county
Reviewed 13 May 2013

This guest house is run and owned by Phyllis Hall, she is a lovely woman who welcomes you by stocking the refrigerator with a full bar ( and not the small bottles ) and goodies, milk eggs and gallons of bottled water ! The suites are very pretty with windows or air conditioner. Kitchen is equip with blender, coffee maker, microwave. I saved tons of money esp. By making my own cocktails !! Great stay !!

2 Thank cowgirlinthesand20
New York City, New York
Reviewed 14 March 2013

Found Hilcrest online and we were very pleased with our stay. Location is great, very clean room and well stocked for all your needs. Great view and Phyllis was very sweet.
Our only complaints were that the bed is a bit slumpy and the noise from Cruz Bay at night from the bars is extremely loud.
Besides the that we found the rooms well equipped and maintained.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
hillcreststjohn, Owner at Hillcrest Guest House, responded to this review, 16 March 2013
I'd like to thank B. Moore of NYC, for the review.

All of the beds and the futons have a foam topper from QVC. I even have one on my bed, but each person is different and have their own preferece.

Cruz Bay does have music coming from downtown and that is why I installed air condition. Again, not everyone likes A/C.

Again, thank you for the kind words.

Warmest regards,
Phyllis
St. John
Reviewed 1 March 2013

Me and my husband were travelling for a last minute business/pleasure trip and he had to book fairly quickly. Besides getting some miscommunication from an owner or NO communication from owners with places showing availability for our two-night stay, my husband found Hillcrest. Phyllis responded to us quickly...which everyone take note....this will keep you in business..actually responding to potential customers. We had a peaceful stay and we were pleasantly delighted with the snacks, other food and beverages we had in our room...that was a nice touch! Thank you Phyllis for accommodating us on such short notice, it was appreciated!

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank NishaGL
Haddonfield, New Jersey
Reviewed 11 February 2013

We just got back from a wonderful vacation in St.John and enjoyed our stay at Hillcrest, Orchid suite. The size of the apartment was perfect for our 2 kids and us. It was clean and stocked well with lots of alcohol, drinks, snacks, and breakfast foods which saved us alot of money. It is on a hill, but we didn't mind the walk, and our 4 and 7 year olds handled the walk uphill well too. Phyllis was very nice and accomodating. The neighborhood is safe and fairly quiet. Just an occassional dog barking or hearing a neighbor early in the morning hear and there, but just bring ear plugs and you'll be fine. The location was perfect to go in and around town and we were able to walk everywhere. We didn't even need to rent a car and only needed to use a cab a couple times to go to farther away beaches. If you are looking for a more reasonable place to stay and enjoy St.John and don't need luxury, this is your place! We plan on staying here again!

Room Tip: choose a room with a view and the pagoda was nice and private