“Should have heeded warnings from previous reviews”

Noahs Little Arks, St John
Reviewed 26 September 2013

It is really hard to mess up a day cruising around St John, but having a boat that won't start, no VHF radio, no ladder, and no first aid kit can turn a perfect day into a nightmare. Fortunately my husband and I are experienced boaters and my husband knew how to get the boat started after realizing the battery cables were so loose they would easily come off of the posts even when the boat was still. At least half of the handles on the sides of the dinghy were torn of or broken which made getting back on the boat from the water close to impossible, even for my husband who has hulk like upper body strength. When I cut my foot, a nearby boat loaned us their first aid kit which was really fortunate since our dinghy did NOT come equipped with one. Granted I should have had protective footwear on but there really is no excuse for not equipping any vessel with a first aid kit.

Having read previous reviews, I did not really want to use these guys in the first place, but it being the off season in St. John, our choices were limited because many of the companies here close for the season or use this time of year for servicing their vehicles. They were our only option for a dinghy. I would recommend avoiding this company if at all possible.

5  Thank mcbearrentine

Reviewed 3 September 2013

We were planning on going to Waterlemon key which is all the way over on the other side of the island. The guys at the beach who run this business are decent and helpful. The dinghies on the other hand tend to be way underpowered for a long trip. You will waste precious vacation time if you are planning on going anywhere distant.

The best use of these boats is to visit some of the harder to reach beaches such as honeymoon, Salomon, Turtle and Caneel that are relatively close to Cruz Bay. The first two require a hike which can be a chore if you have lots of gear - cooler, chairs, snorkel stuff - and the Caneel Bay resort will only let you have access to Salomon beach via their property so you miss out on some great beaches.

1  Thank KMNDC
Reviewed 26 August 2013

We had a great experience with this company 5 years ago. However, they have not put funds into maintaining the equipment or in hiring people that care about safety and customer service. Our snorkel gear and towels reeked of fuel after using the storage compartments. We were not given instructions about the fact that the dinghy lacked an automatic bilge pump. Props and engines are not maintained; this is a disaster waiting to happen. We didn't even get the "sorry" that a Reviewer from a May 2013 post received. DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY ON THIS COMPANY. Renting a dinghy while on island will be one of your best adventures, but do not give Noahs Little Arks your business!

3  Thank StJohnBound_10
Reviewed 28 May 2013

I will not pick on any one particulair dingy rental company in St. John USVI as my review is applicable to all. This was the worst value for a 1/2 day experience I have every had in the islands. My fault, I rented the 12' dingy versus the larger 14'???? It would not matter. 20+ mph winds and 3-4' continues rolling waves did not make for a pleasurable experience to say the least. (I spoke to the first mate on a sail boat we chartered and he laughed saying the seas where calm and our experience is typical) Hear is a hint, rent a car or take a taxi and go to the beaches and enjoy yourself. On a scale of 1-10, this deal was a -5.

4  Thank bwasson14
Reviewed 22 May 2013

rented a 14ft dingy. Took it out to waterlemon cay for some good snokling and stopped and ate lunch at maho beach. Good price for the rental. 15 minute video on how to use the boat and your off. Was a lot of fun and great way to see St. John from the water.