“beautiful”

US$80.00*
and up
Half-Day Tour to Trunk Bay Beach from St. Thomas
More attraction details
Owner description: The good news: this world-class stretch of white sand and turquoise water is St. John's most photographed beach, which features a marked underwater trail for beginning snorkelers. The bad news: because of its popularity, it can get very crowded with cruise ship passengers and members of sightseeing tours.
Reviewed 2 July 2014

This was a beautiful beach. We arrived around 11am, and struggled to find parking, but once parked we had a great time snorkeling.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,589)
All reviews
"ferry ride"
in 32 reviews
"snorkel equipment"
in 37 reviews
"the water is crystal clear"
in 51 reviews
"underwater signs"
in 28 reviews

Reviewed 2 July 2014

This was the most beautiful beach we visited on our trip to St. John. The white sand is amazing. The underwater snorkeling trail was neat but you can see more if you keep going along the little island. There is a large variety of fish and many schools you swim through. We rented chairs and there was plenty of shady spots. This beach can be more crowded, but we didn't think there were too many people the day we were there. The freshwater showers were a bonus after a day in the sea. It is easy to get a taxi from the ferry to the beach and back again to town.

Reviewed 1 July 2014

A must see beach for all travelers to St. john. This is the only beach on St John with an entry fee ($4), but the fee is put to good use. Many amenities are provided including food, drinks, showers, lifeguards, and a guided snorkel trail. The beach is maintained pristine, and the view from the overlook appears to be something an artist imagined!

1  Thank Anthony L
Reviewed 1 July 2014

I wish I could divide this rating into sections. The scenery and beach was fantastic. But there are great beaches and beautiful views everywhere in the US Virgin Islands.

What stuck with me the most was the terrible accommodations. The restrooms were absolutely disgusting. Smelled terrible and I was afraid to put my bag (or anything else) on the ground. I showed up in a pair of shorts with plans to change into swim trunks, and then put on dry shorts before I left at the end of our stay. It was quite a balancing act in the bathroom to change from shorts to swim trunks, while simultaneously never stepping on the ground with a bare foot. I decided on the way out I would rather wear wet swim trunks the remainder of the day than go in the bathroom again to change into something dry.

The food "hut" was hot, "rustic", had limited food options and the food was the worst I had on the trip by far. There were aggressive seagulls everywhere around the foot hut and one of them took a dive at my food while I went to get some napkins, with my wife sitting right by my plate of food. The food honestly was fit for a bird, I wouldn't wish that food on anyone. Perhaps the reason they are so aggressive is because so many people don't finish their meal.

I would like to say for the number of people at Trunk Bay, the food hut was badly understaffed. I honestly felt bad for the two employees trying to do everything----take food orders, cook the food, fix mixed drinks, take payment and give change, etc. They needed at least five people working there given the volume of customers.

The beach chair/snorkel rentals really weren't any better staffed, and the chair we got was pretty worn down. They required a $25 deposit to rent a chair, and I thought to myself, "I wouldn't pay $25 for one of these chairs if I could keep it".

Then we made our way to the beach, and there were tons of people. Lots and lots of people. More than I cared to see in what was otherwise gorgeous surroundings.

Clearly they were all there for the scenery and not for the food.

The only way I would return to Trunk Bay is if I made plans to eat before I arrived (or pack my own lunch) and get there in the early hours of the morning before the crowds are thick.

2  Thank DFWTravelerDallas_TX