“Know what you are getting in to”
Review of Waterlemon Cay

Waterlemon Cay
More attraction details
Owner description: A short swim from Leinster Bay, you'll find some of the best snorkeling on this small island, with its plethora of marine life.
Seaside Heights, New Jersey
39 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 389 helpful votes
“Know what you are getting in to”
Reviewed 11 December 2013

I enjoyed my snorkel time at Waterlemon.

This beach is good for snorkeling. There is practically no sand so the purpose for going here is to snorkel not lay out for a tan.

You need to walk about 1 mile on a level path to the beach areas. It may be muddy. Bring bug spray. There are no facilities. There are pit toilets at the parking lot prior to hiking to the beach.

The Annanberg ruins basically share the parking lot (just up the hill) so you can see the ruins and hike to Waterlemon on the same visit.

It is a bit off the beaten path and a far taxi ride from Cruz Bay. Most of the people going here seem to have a car. (We got a free ride so I don't know the taxi cost.)

I hope you find this review helpful!

2 Thank Mary K

Colorado
63 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 136 helpful votes
“Okay, but not spectacular”
Reviewed 9 December 2013

The hike was easy and I'm old and unfit!! BUT, the snorkeling was only okay..some other folks did see a turtle, but we mostly saw a few fish…Easy swim back and forth, BUT because a ship was in port no taxi drivers would come back to get us. We walked to the lot at Annaberg (sp?) and no taxis there so we ended up spending an hour hitch hiking and got someone to take pity on us and drive us to the nearest beach that had a taxi stand which was not at all close to Waterlemon…so I only recommend this if you have a car!

Visited November 2013
Raleigh, North Carolina
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Not as good as the hype”
Reviewed 8 December 2013

Everyone was telling me how good Waterlemon cay was for snorkeling. Snorkeling was good but I though was better snorkeling on other parts of the island that did not require a 30 minute hike.

To be fair many people mentioned that snorkeling on that specific day was not as good due to the recent heavy rains impacting visibility.

Amesbury, Massachusetts
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Overrated”
Reviewed 5 December 2013

Been there twice and it's amazing to me that it gets such great reviews. The outer side of the key is nice but there are many far better snorkeling sites on the island. You will see much more coral and fish if you jump into the shallows anywhere along the trail leading to the beach.

Dublin, Ohio
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Hike is worth it”
Reviewed 30 November 2013

Biggest starfish I have ever seen. Hike was about a mile covered in Mosquitos so bring bug spray. You will also see turtles and mongoose that will try to steal your lunch.

Visited May 2013