“Beautiful Concordia” 5 of 5 bubbles

Concordia Eco-Resort
Nashville, Tennessee
“Beautiful Concordia”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2013

We have just spent 2 nights at Concordia and loved it. We stayed in #8 and it had a fabulous view and was close to the road ( not many steps to get to it). It was quite windy when we were there and the tent swayed a bit and was noisy at night with the fabric flapping against the wood structure. The food at the restaurant was delicious. Now remember this is tent camping--deluxe text camping, but still camping. So if you want a hotel type resort, Concordia is not for you. We have stayed at Maho Camps for 25 years (they closed last year) and decided to give Concordia a try. We were very pleased with our experience. It's a bit out of the way ( on the East End of St.John) but we loved that side of the island--donkeys and goats roam around everywhere. If you like camping, Concordia is the place for you.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank lovelycotinga

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (147)
Cary, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2013

My son and I had a fantastic time at St. John, staying in an Eco-Studio at Concordia (unit A18). The staff was friendly and helpful and we were able to arrange a terrific kayaking/snorkeling trip (Hidden Reef) for one of the days and rent snorkeling gear for the week. Snorkeling at Salt Pond Bay (down the path from Concordia) was excellent. Our favorites were the sea turtles but the fish and coral viewing was excellent along the left shore. The food was very good in the Cafe and the views (from everywhere) were unsurpassed. We didn't have any issues with mosquitoes and slept okay even though temperatures stayed pretty warm through the night. My only issue was that we were in a bottom unit, and I woke up whenever an upstairs guest walked around late at night. Next time, I'll get a top unit! We rented a jeep (which I highly recommend) and were able to snorkel at spots all around the island. We also drove into Coral Bay regularly for dinner, which was always fun. I followed the Concordia recommendation and didn't look at work email the whole week. That was a great idea, and I look forward to doing that again.

6 Thank Joe H
Duvall, Washington, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2013

We were in tent P-10 out on the edge: The wind was loud (but didn't keep us awake) and cooling; the views were fantastic! Normally, we would drive/hike for hours for a view like that-we felt lucky to be able to experience it throughout the day. We did not have difficulties with mosquitoes and the beds were comfortable. We did have to haul drinking water, wash clothes in the shower and deal with the sun warmed water with a rather weak flow; this made the experience more like very comfortable camping rather than being in a hotel. We found the staff extremely helpful and friendly and we enjoyed walking through the soldier crabs to get to the beach, where the snorkeling was fantastic (we did bring our own equipment)! On the whole, a really good trip-if we return, we would come during the winter time when the humidity was a bit lower. Although we had no difficulty with this in the tent because the wind blew it all out, the hikes to the beach left us sweaty; we were there at the end of July, just when the trade winds were dying. I would anticipate that during the height of summer-late August and September-the lack of wind would make things very uncomfortable.

4 Thank wayne_anne_p
Houston, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2013

Concordia is in a beautiful setting. Amazing really. But the eco-tents are so noisy at night from the fabric being hit by wind that our entire family couldn't sleep for the 5 nights. We were woken every 10 minutes. The cross breeze from the windows was too high over our beds for us to feel so we sweated all night as well, even when the weather outside was just fine.
We left a day early just to stay at a cheap hotel the last night and get some rest. The days were very nice. It is not cheap though. It is hard work to build on this remote island and a piece of average fruit at breakfast is $1.50 and coffee is as pricey as Starbucks. There is a charge each day for beach chairs and snorkeling equipment so bring what you can and stay in a building, not a tent.

Room Tip: Do not stay in an eco-tent. You will not get any sleep.
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank mlewen
Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2013 via mobile

Wife and I just returned from 5 days staying in an Eco-Studio. We were not real sure what to expect like others have said, but what we found was true relaxation in a wonderful and peaceful place. The staff was very helpful and friendly. Even though we were there in off season and with the Summer kitchen menu we found the food and drink to be great. The views from our room and the dining area are crazy nice.

We visited several beaches with friends and they were very nice as well. The management has done a very good job of having things like beach chairs and snorkeling equipment for rent so you don't have to worry about bringing any of that. We found our Eco Studio to be in great shape when we arrived and it had everything we needed for the trip. There were not any TV's and cell service was spotty and that made the trip even more peaceful. We loved it and would like to try a tent next time just for the experience. We truly felt like we were tucked away in paradise.

Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank drohr9
Savannah, Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2013

Concordia is on the east side of the island across the Hwy 10 from the ferry and then further south above Salt Pond. It seems all flights come in late in the day at St. Thomas. After getting your car, getting groceries, fuel and getting across the ferry to St. John, you still have to travel very narrow, windy roads across the island and will likely come in very late at night. I would have stayed in St. Thomas the first night so I could have driven these treacherous roads in the light. As it was, our trials, despite the long, hard, journey, was not nearly over once we arrived. We had a long uphill climb, with luggage and provisions. If you park at the end of the boardwalk, this was a long uphill pull that had me seriously concerned about my heart. I was exhausted and drenched in sweat and barely managed it. Challenges such as this are much harder after 20 hours of trial and travel. One could climb the approx. 90 stairs then go across the boardwalk, which we did many times, but not with luggage and groceries. My daughter arrived nauseated from the winding trip across the island and I wondered what I had gotten us into! A nice, young man, seeing me in distress, offered me his cold partial rjug of water and informed us that the water was not potable, but there was a spigot close to the pool where we could get potable water. I drank that water he gave me. I wish I hadn't. My daughter did not drink it. I contracted the disease Giardia and spend 9 days of my vacation in misery. The local hospital is good, though. Bottled water is highly recommended. Get it in advance of lodging.
We stayed in a premium eco-tent overlooking Salt Pond. The view was gorgeous. The night had its horrors though. We awoke hot and covered in mosquito bites. The fans were small 5 inch fans that did little to help. The toilet was across from our tent and was a composting toilet that was a bit smelly. The shower was charged with runoff and heated in a black barrel. The "potable" water reeked of chlorine. We had not electrical outlets in our tent and got not signal. There was WiFi at the pool. The refrigerator did not have a freezer. I met a woman who had her son's luggage stolen on arrival a few days before. My daughter went to watch a movie on our second night and they cut it off in the middle of the film. Dinner at the cafe was expensive, noisy, burnt and overall lousy. On checkout they tried to make me pay for another camper's charges. When they asked me if the signature was I mine, I showed them it was not and again explained I do not charge to my room. Then they tried to charge me double. I was asked not to return. No problem there. I will never return to Concordia. You couldn't pay me to. If you are planning a vacation, remember to get and keep ALL your receipts, especially if you pay in cash.
What is really sad is that I went to Maho Bay Camps 20 years ago and had one of my most memorable vacations. It was so great. So sad to say Concordia is not carrying on in that tradition. We saw a group of people on the ferry and their legs were covered in mosquito bites. They all had Concordia shirts on!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
11 Thank JYCox
St. Pete, FL
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2013 via mobile

Coming into the trip, I really wasn't sure what to expect. I knew that there were these tents perched on the hillside that would offer a fabulous view, but that was the extent.

We checked in, and they advised that there is no potable water in the rooms (you would need to bring jugs to filling stations), and no 110 power in the rooms. If something needs to be charged you should leave it at the office. I was intrigued for sure - I am someone who prefers the creature comforts of home (and then some).

After walking down a lot of steps to our premium Eco-tent (P14), I was absolutely blown away by the view. There were sweeping view of Salt Pond Bay and Ram Head, and the only sounds were the crashing of the waves and various wildlife. The breezes across the cabin kept it very comfortable, and I knew that I was home.

The food at the Cafe was quite good (I had a diet-busting crab macaroni and cheese), and the happy hour specials were a great deal. $3 pain killers! We weren't going anywhere, so a second one was in order. If you ask for the drink in a plastic cup, you can take it to the pool. Since that was one of the wifi hot spots and I cannot be completely off the grid, that became a favorite perch of mine.

The staff were extremely friendly and helpful. They would quickly recommend a hike or a place to grab a bite, and would always ask about your day. They certainly helped add to the relaxed vibe one finds here.

I would highly recommend this place to someone who is looking to disconnect. If you want to sit on your balcony at night and watch the stars, and then fall asleep to the crashing waves, this is for you. The tents themselves are rustic and basic, but you are here for the view and the peace. It's a great way to remind yourself what's important in life, which is truly valuable.

Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
#1 of 5 in Cruz Bay
Estate Lindholm
Estate Lindholm
#1 of 5 in Cruz Bay

Been to Concordia Eco-Resort? Share your experiences!