For context: I've never written a review before. I feel compelled to write this one because my recent vacation at Concordia was truly more than I could have asked for.
My partner and I stayed in a Premium Tent (#19) and had spectacular views of both the bay and the ocean; the lush green hills that separated the two; the intense sunsets beyond the horizon that didn't fail. I'm told not all of the tents have a strong breeze. Our tent did and it was perfect, just enough to keep us cool all day and night.
On to practical matters: my initial concern about the compost toilets were totally unwarranted. No issues at all with smell or otherwise (sorry for the bluntness, but I was looking for someone to write about the issue when i was reading the reviews; hopefully this info helps someone.). The tents have enough to make you comfortable: coffee maker; small refrigerator; a few pots and pans, glasses, bowls, plates and silverware. In all fairness though, we didn't take much advantage of these simple amenities - we decided against getting a car so we ate nearly every meal at the Cafe. We weren't sorry. The food is outstanding: we had the pancakes every morning (they're that good). The salmon and pasta entree, plus the coconut shrimp appetizer were our evening favorites. There is a new chef there and management is trying to figure out how to offer the Cafe servings all year. I don't think there will be a problem doing that if she just keeps making good food and Concordia can get the word out. The only downside is that the food isn't cheap. Food isn't cheap anywhere on the island, however - not even in the grocery stores - so we didn't feel like we spent money in the Cafe that we wouldn't have otherwise. Be sure to check out the schedule - at this point in time the Cafe isn't open every day so you'll need to plan accordingly.
While I'm on the topic of food, make sure to visit the Tourist Trap just up the hiil from Concordia. Eat the pork tacos. I don't eat pork, or much meat, and I ate them. Delish. The folks who work there are worth the trip alone. (Hi Mary!)
Other things to do: yoga every morning. It's beginner, and it seems to focus a bunch on awareness and stretching. It was perfect for me. Suki gave us great massages in the pavillon. Ask for her.
A few more of my favorite activities: the 8 minute hike from the hotel to the bay; floating in the bay (for hours); reading on our deck/balcony; laps in the salt pool.
If you're not there in the dry season take note: the mosquitos are monsters - there was a fair amount of rain (at night) while we were there and it brought out the buggers in droves. Wear bug stray and long sleeves/pants to minimize the surface area available to them.
Finally, while you're there - make your way to town (via the bus, which stops just in front of the Tourist Trap) and check out some of the goings-on. Lots to do.
So, go. Just go.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Concordia Eco Resort is currently closed because of the significant impact from Hurricane Irma. We will be closed for the remainder of 2017 and 2018. If you have made reservations, our reservations team will be contacting you once we get communications back on-line in the upcoming months to refund your deposits. Thank you for your understanding and support during this difficult time. Concordia Eco-Resort offers a variety of accommodations to satisfy our die-hard Eco-Tent fans, as well as those vacationers looking for a few more creature comforts, unplugged and surrounded by the beautiful VI National Park. (Check out our new Eco-Studios.) Our 25 Eco-Tents and Premium Eco-Tents are independent units perch like tree houses along the hillside. A 15 minute nature hike to Salt Pond Bay provides some of the best snorkeling on St. John. Cafe Concordia serves Breakfast, Dinner, Happy Hour, and Sunday Brunch in High Season, call for seasonal hours, but feel free to take full advantage of the kitchenette and refrigeration provided in your unit for cooking year round. Hope to see you soon in beautiful St. John. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia and Kognitiv US Corp so you can book your Concordia Eco-Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Concordia Eco-Tents Hotel Virgin Islands National Park
- Concordia Eco-Resort St. John/Virgin Islands National Park