“Not worth the money...”

Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, View
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 23 June 2014

The mill where the restaurant is located is quite interesting and worthy of a few quick photos prior to eating. We arrived about fifteen minutes prior to our 6:00 reservation time and were led to our table immediately. The view was amazing, but unfortunately the sun was right in our eyes so we couldn't enjoy the view. We actually moved our chairs so the sun and view were at our back, which the staff did not appreciate.
The server was fairly attentive when he could be, but had to attend to other guests and left us waiting for extended periods of time. I ordered their osso buco and my wife had the shrimp. The shrimp dish was amazing, but the osso buco was very bland. It reminds me of the cheap pot roast I make at home when I don't want to cook anything. For the expense of the meal, I was disappointed. The cheaper ribs at the other caneel restaurant were far better.
The wait for the food was quite long, with the hot weather and sun shining on my back the entire time, I was so physically uncomfortable that I wanted to get up and leave prior to the food arriving. Do not take a reservation before 7:00 unless you want to sweat through your meal. Overall, I wish I had spent half the money eating room service.

2  Thank unimsw

Reviewed 23 June 2014

This meal was probably one our best. Although it rained on our way to the restaurant, the skies opened up just before one of the prettiest sunsets we saw. I did make reservations way ahead of time (Thanks Ben!), and we were seated quickly. The wine list is extensive and the service was top notch, never an empty (or even half!) water glass. Squid Ink pasta was to die for, but could have ordered the appetizer portion! I was tired from a long day in the sun, I had wished we stayed longer now, the bartenders were great and the atmosphere was awesome. Will definitely return.

1  Thank Autumne617
Reviewed 22 June 2014

Zozo's is a beautiful restaurant...it's inside an old windmill with beautiful views of St. Thomas especially as the sun is setting. What I found disappointing was the service. My family has traveled the world, and we always seek out high-end restaurants, and we take our kids whose ages are 13 and 10, so they are not misbehaved, or whiney, nor do they order chicken nuggets off kids' menus. They are great travelers. My first impression of the restaurant is that they were not pleased we arrived with kids (the hostess), even though they are teen/tween. And it just continued....down through the wait staff. When you are dropping $400 on a dinner for four, you expect a little more graciousness, especially when the kids are behaving like mature young adults. Bottom line: the staff was snooty, yet we were the ones placing the money on the table.

2  Thank LifeIsShortHaveFun
Reviewed 21 June 2014

Very upscale atmosphere with a beautiful view of the ocean and Caneel Bay grounds. The Ketel One Martini was excellent. The appetizer of beet and goat cheese ravioli was wonderful. The Mahi Mahi encrusted with pistachios was delicious and the prosciutto wrapped Halibut was the best Halibut I have had outside of California. This was truly one of my best meals ever and I can't recommend it enough.

Reviewed 21 June 2014 via mobile

I've dined around the world and booked zozo's for my wedding night after a small ceremony with just my bride and two daughters. I expected a nice, but usual sort of resort place with a nice atmosphere and average food. Instead, we had several "good" dishes and a number of utterly FANTASTIC dishes that blew me away as some of the best I've tasted anywhere on Earth--one of which was the octopus appetizer...My children were amazed by the flavor of the home made pasta and ordered seconds ..The atmosphere was above average, the staff average..and the prices were a bit ridiculous .I would definitely return, though, because food THAT shockingly good is hard to find anywhere on earth..