“Paradise”
Review of Caneel Bay Resort

Caneel Bay Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Caneel Bay
Reviewed 22 November 2013

My husband and I just returned from a 6-day trip to Caneel Bay and are having serious withdraws. I have nothing but positive reviews of this fabulous resort. The scenery and beaches are impeccable. We stayed at Hawksnest and it seemed like we had the entire beach to ourselves, the water and beach are amazing. Every 15-20 minutes a wait staff comes by to take drink and food orders. We had dinner in all three restaurants which were all very good, especially Zo Zo's! The breakfast buffet was delicious and the staff at the resort were beyond friendly and polite. The resort is quiet, serene and made for relaxing. No phones or TV's in the rooms but that suited us just fine. If you are looking for a little night life, I recommend taking a short taxi ride to Cruz Bay. We had a delicious dinner and fun time at The Rhomb Line in town. But if you are looking for a place to relax, reflect and spend quiet time with friends and family, Caneel Bay is the place. I cannot wait to return!!

Room Tip: A corner room on the second floor at Hawksnest was perfect! No outside noise whatsoever except the...
1  Thank komo5

Reviewed 21 November 2013

I have been to this resort 6 times. The first 5 were as a couple & it's fairly easy to have a great time as a young couple. As a family with children, I was very hesitant to book the hotel because it did not seem child friendly due to the restrictions in some areas of the resort. After staying at too many average places in the Caribbean I was desperate for something good, so I booked it. It was the best choice I could've made. The rooms are very large and clean & well stocked with amenities. The service is very good despite what you read. This is not in Manhattan, this is the Caribbean so relax. All the beaches, both as a couple & for families are amazing. The snorkeling is great for the Virgin Islands. Actually, we visited beaches around St. John including the famous Trunk Bay and the is NO need to leave the resort for snorkeling. We (my 7 year old included) saw sea turtles, sting rays and even a baby Black Tip Reef Shark right off the beaches at Caneel Bay (incl. thousands of other colorful fish). The food is very good for adults and kids. The staff was very attentive & accommodating in every way. For kids, it's important to snorkel off one of the more mild beaches with less currents. When we arrived, waiting in our room was a large bag of beach toys and a welcome bag filled with things like a deck of cards, crayons & a coloring book & more. We stayed on Little Caneel Beach which is very quiet but still close to the main areas of the hotel. Caneel Beach is also nice. These are the 2 best beaches for kids because the snorkeling is good and the currents are not strong at all. Turtle Bay Beach is where we saw grazing sea turtles but the current was strong so be careful for small children snorkeling. In general, a fantastic place for families.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank Leesa48
Reviewed 20 November 2013

Stayed at Caneel Bay in Nov 2013 and loved the experience very much. Had heard wonderful things about St. John from family and friends so we had high expectations for both the island and the hotel- and we were not disappointed at all. The staff was incredibly friendly upon arrival and always interested throughout our stay to make sure we were comfortable. ZoZo's came highly recommended by friends and our dinner there was delicious. The grounds of the hotel were incredibly beautiful and provided the perfect atmosphere for relaxation. I hope to return next year to this fabulous property and will be sure to recommend it to friends and family.

Reviewed 20 November 2013

I am an experiencedand flexible traveller and this is the first time I have felt compelled to write a review on this or any site. I chose this hotel after much research based on beach snorkeling opportunities. I was more than happy to overlook the other issues, such as the bizarre "taxi" which met me at the airport at 9:30 PM to take me to the ferry, which broke down twice on dark hilly roads, and finally had to flag down another car to take me to the ferry when the band -aid car repairs failed, the lack of hot water in the shower, neglect to supply ice when requested repeatedly, etc.

However the poor snorkeling is what I really wanted to point out. The most promising beach is Scotts, however the reefs have been bleached out and ar in poor condition, hawksnest is deplorable, with trash and debris in the water and on the beach and no reefs at all, although there is one lonely turtle. The concierge had NO suggestions for off site snorkel opportunities, If you are interested in good snorkeling look elsewhere.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
8  Thank anonymoustx2013
Reviewed 17 November 2013

This resort, situated in the Virgin Islands National Park, was extremely beautiful. We had read former reviews about chilly staff but overall we found this to be the exception rather than the rule. Most staff were warm and friendly and made every effort to make us fee welcome and well taken care of.

This was our first visit to this resort and to St. John. We can see why so many people return to this place over the years to experience its serene and peaceful beauty. This is not the place to go if you are seeking a party atmosphere or night life. The beach bar and grill was open late an there was a tv at the bar, many folks happily hanging out together but other than that or if you were there for a wedding it was relatively quiet.

We had a room off of Paradise beach which was away from the main beach and restaurants. Not too far as to be inconvenient, but far enough to feel like we had more privacy than those who may have been booked by the main landing at Caneel Bay beach.

The breakfast buffet was our favorite meal of the day. Everything was fresh and there was a huge variety of choices. The Beach Bar and Grill was good, especially the sushi bar which was excellent. Cleo, the hostess at both, was always a pleasure to chat with and catch her up on how our day went! We did eat at Zozo's one evening which was also very good. I wish both dinner restaurants had more vegetarian options but I was able to find something each time I sat down to a meal. For such a large resort I would have anticipated a third dining option at dinner time but Turtle Bay Estate House was not open nor another option. The gelato shop was really good for a cold treat, I think we ate some every day!

Christina at the concierge desk was extremely helpful and patient in assisting us to plan various excursions and share tips on good snorkel spots.

Overall it was lovely, but at the rates paid the rooms could use updating.

Reviewed 17 November 2013

I booked Caneel Bay Resort based on TripAdvisor ranking and price comparison shopping. It was priced more then I've EVER paid for a hotel, but based on the location, we decided to splurge and take a chance even if it was just a few nights (over my birthday as well :) Let me add a disclaimer : we went into this knowing the prices would be inflated. We knew that it was not going to be like our other resort-we thought we were ready- we weren't. Prices adding up sucks the fun out of it rather quickly. We stayed for 4 nights. If you are on even a somewhat budget, consider researching further. One of my frustrations were the misc. charges. (I had a confirmation email sent to me, and on the very bottom it explained that there was a 110$ charge per person to take the resort ferry directly from the airport in St. Thomas. I realize that the service is a convenience to those who are staying, but my frustration was that it wasn't an option, it was an added additional charge that I had to request to have taken off - we were already on the island and didn't need the service. They didn't give me any trouble to remove it which was nice. I guess I'm the type what like to know exactly what I'm paying for when I sign up. For those interested, we chose to taxi and take the public ferry for 1/2 the cost).

As a resort: It is a nice property. Do not go to this resort thinking you'll get nice snorkeling in. The beaches, as pretty as they are have little no reef. There are some fish amongst the rocks along the edges, and Hawksnest did have sea turtles, but other then that our experience for snorkeling was far better on the southwest and northeast sides. There were also a few cruise ship excursion boats that were there snorkeling in Solomon and Honeymoon bay, which added to the volume of people on the beaches. They have golf carts and taxi buses to get you from one end to the other, but it's not so far that you can't walk.

Location : It is somewhat far out so if you don't have a car, you have to rely on a taxi to get you into town. The concierge said they didn't offer taxi service (or call for a taxi for you , for that matter, which I thought was a little odd) so we had to wait at the taxi stand to get a ride out. The first time we caught one immediately, the 2nd time we had to wait 15mins. Doesn't seem like much, but in 90 degree weather, the wait bench is out in the sun, it feels like an eternity. We ended up walking the Lind Point trail back to the resort from town- about a mile and the terrain wasn't bad considering what we were expecting. It's a direct route, so that is an option for those ok with a bit of a hike.

Room: We had a beach view room- on first glance we were happy, (air conditioned and clean:) The downside - the entire roadside wall was screen covered with a shutter type outer (looked as though it could be opened into one big wall window). cool concept- failure in application. We heard every , EVERY noise. from flip flops walking past, voices and the worst was the late night loud, golf cart taxi back to the room (my husband suggested upgrading to electric carts as an option, they'd be a little more quiet). The bathroom was also the same wall type, with a shutter type slotted door. Over all, if you're looking for quiet and privacy this is not they place. Also loved the air, but the unit kicked on and off constantly.

Food: They of course have dining options. 3 (well, 4 if you count the sandwiches in the Gelato shop). We ate at the least expensive (still pricey) option of the grill. The food was average at best, which I guess doesn't surprise me. Unless you go into town these were our only options, so we just went with it.

Pricing: I personally don't think it was worth the price that we paid. I do feel it was a nice resort, and most everyone was friendly and helpful. The prices are too high for the quality of the room, the food, and the strength of the drink. You are paying for a name, which to me isn't quite worth what they are selling it for. It feel exclusionary, not exclusive. At one point, we were on our way to go hiking (there are 2 trails on the resort map) 3 days into our stay and a security guy stopped us, asked us if we were guests and questioned us on our room number and last name. We had never had this happen, and we felt somewhat frustrated that we were stopped. ( we were clean, showered and minding our own business :)! not even riff raffish in the least.

Room Tip: Bring earplugs, it may help cancel out the background noises and help you sleep a little more soundl...
8  Thank cass20
Reviewed 19 March 2013 via mobile

We checked in 4 days ago with our two daughters for spring break. From the first day the showers in both (adjoining) rooms have drained so slowly that the bathroom floods. Tonight in our room after one shower the flooding extended into the bedroom. I have asked for help 4 days in a row. The last two involved the manager on duty. They show up with a plunger and declare all to be fixed.

Here I sit waiting to shower so that I can take my family out to dinner with no repair. I'm going to shower anyway and let them deal with the water. This is ridiculous.

It gets better. 6 weeks ago I called the Caneel Bay dive shop to schedule diving for my oldest daughter and myself as well as an open water certification for my youngest daughter. I called them again before coming. We arrived and they then told us their boats were both broken and they couldn't accommodate our requests. We have to go to Cruz Bay now daily. No offer to even pick up the daily can fare.

The food so far has been good to excellent. The service poor to excellent.

Will I return? That's up to Caneel Bay.
They had better offer something profound for this inconvenience or this will be my first and last visit. Not to seem petty but 2 rooms at spring break was over $14,000. I expected better given the reputation of the resort. If they step up and appease us, I'll amend my review. If not, it stays. Beware.

• Stayed: March 2013
#2 of 4 in Cruz Bay
Emerald Beach Resort
Emerald Beach Resort
#4 of 7 in Charlotte Amalie

Been to Caneel Bay Resort? Share your experiences!