“Beautiful Private Setting”
Review of Caneel Bay Resort

Caneel Bay Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Caneel Bay
Reviewed 11 April 2014

We just returned from an 8 night stay at Caneel. It was our first time and we cannot wait to go back next year. It IS PRICEY!! What you are paying for is the privacy of the property with 8 beaches to choose from and the natural setting. Yes the rooms need an upgrade. Yes, we got some sand flea/noseum bites. If you like formal landscaping and fancy pools and doting service on the beach this is not your place. This is a quiet, rustic resort with beautiful beaches and flora. We travelled with our two girls ages 10 and 8. They loved the donkeys and the baby donkeys and the deer and the baby deer. All so tame you can touch them. The girls loved High Tea every day at 4 at the Turtle Bay Estate. It is complimentary. We also discovered the lunch buffet at Turtle Bay Estate had the best deal for lunch. Food was delicious though of course expensive. The shuttles were always around to take you around but I enjoyed walking. It is totally walkable especially if you need to burn off breakfast. Snorkeling was fun and our girls tried it for the first time. It's perfect for beginners. We loved exploring all the different beaches. The kids club was great. The staff at kids club and housekeeping as well as many of the wait staff and shuttle drivers are all friendly and sweet. We have travelled all over Hawaiian Islands and Bahamas at 4 and 5 star resorts and we definitely will be back at Caneel next year. We met many people who return here year after year. It is very down to earth.

Room Tip: Ocean view/front is best.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank suziewportland

Reviewed 8 April 2014

My wife, 6yr old daughter and I just got back from a week at Caneel Bay and once again had a fantastic time. Our room on Hawksnest Beach (ground floor right on the beach) was great. Had a wonderful view of the water from our patio. The sea turtles were swimming about just a few yards off the beach, saw several rays swimming by as well.

Great beach for snorkeling. Turtles and Rays in the middle (grassy bottom, perfect for turtles), Lots of different corals and sea fans to our right along the rocks and lots of coral and fish on the left shore along the rocks. Parrot fish, Box fish, Grunts, Yellow Tail Snapper, Squirl fish, Baracuda etc.

The wonderful ladies who took care of our room were fantasitc as usual. All the staff, the grounds keepers, the shuttle drivers, the ladies in the gift shop, the coffee/icecream shop (Nice addition) always greated us with a warm smile. The woman at Varlack Jeep rental was also great. We had the B&B plan which was perfect for us, big breakfast, which was always great. We ate at both the terrace and Turtle Bay, No difference in food or service, both were EXCELLENT.

We rented a refrigerator (worth the $) and took a cab to the Starfish Market in Cruz Bay to get lunch supplies,snacks and RUM RUM RUM RUM.

Ate at Zozo one night had a good meal during a wonderful sunset. Other nights we went into town or at at the Beach Bar restaurant had Sushi which was excellent. Amber was our server several times and she was GREAT!

Did the Sunset Cruise again and once again had a wonderful time. The staff were very attentive and the steel drum and guitar music were perfect for the mood, the hors d'oeuvres were great as well, and all the rum punch we could drink. Who could ask for any thing more.

Our daughter did the Kids Club one morning and had a great time. She loved the Deer (with babies and Donkeys (baby donkey too).

There's nothing like waking up in the mourning and sitting out on our patio, sipping a cup of coffee, hearing waves lap at the beach and watching the sun rise over the mountains. Heaven!

Did the New Horizons Breakaway Charters day trip to Virgin Gorda for the Baths, lunch at Pussers and topping it off with a stop at Soggy Dollar. This is a must do trip. Make sure you bring your passport(s). Michelle and Capt. John were great.

Could go on and on about the great time we had. We love it there. Can't wait to get our daughter's spring break schedule for next year so we can make our reservations.

See you next year.

Room Tip: Last year my wife and I stayed on Scott Beach Rm 86, its at the end of the beach end of the beach, h...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
6  Thank Peter B
Reviewed 5 April 2014

My latest trip here was less than ideal due to GM and office management. I do not think, GM is person to lead Caneel into new, independent phase (post-Rosewood), not welcoming in a professional nor personal manner, plays favorites, even among repeat customers. I feel the daily staff is very welcoming, where upper management does not introduce themselves. I witnessed, GM's family monopolizing waterfront staff time. Kids allowed to fish off dock (in tropical protected waters) and leave fish out of water until dead, I found this disturbing. I believe if a GM is warm and welcoming they become part of the property, this was not the case. I felt like I was at someone's else's home, who tolerated visitors. GM's are critical to a small luxary hotels success, this one subtracts from experience.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
13  Thank talkback100
MDCaneel, General Manager at Caneel Bay Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 11 April 2014

Dear Talkback100,
Please accept my personal apologies for the above experience and for any perceived slight inadvertently caused to you. I do hope however, to have the opportunity to meet and speak with you further, should you choose to visit us once again in the future. As this review is more about my management, and our independent phase, I would like to this opportunity to address our change in management, and how it affects Caneel Bay for our past and future guests.

This past October our contract was up for renewal with Rosewood Resorts, and a mutual decision was made, not to renew. Caneel Bay is now an independent resort, however, our ownership, management and the majority of our staff remains in place, as it has for many, many years. We are also pleased to be a part of The Leading Hotels of the World collection.

As always, we continuously strive to maintain the high standards expected of our guests, and we will continue to improve upon these efforts on a daily basis. Caneel Bay will remain faithful to our founder, Laurance Rockefeller’s vision and many of the traditions that make Caneel Bay a true escape to paradise.

As always, I am available though our executive office at 340.776.6111,or I could be reached by email at managingdirector@caneelbay.com.

Nikolay Hotze
Managing Director
Caneel Bay Resort

Reviewed 4 April 2014

My wife and I stayed at Caneel on Hawksnest Beach. The service at all times was awesome! Our flight was late coming in to St. Thomas, but, Caneel Bay had our driver wait until we arrived and he took us to the Caneel ferry (that also waited for us) that after boarding departed immediately. When we landed, a consierge greeted us and took us to our room. The level of service during our week there was nothing short of excellent. We will definately be going back.

Room Tip: Hawksnest Beach on the ground floor, very quiet, private, excellent snorkeling right off the beach
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Impressed618
Reviewed 3 April 2014

Caneel Bay...you were the best. Having stayed at many high end resorts, I can say without any hesitation that the blue Caribbean waters at Caneel Bay are magnificent. It sure beats Hawaii waters any day. Sure, the rooms need a major overhaul. But, you can learn to accept the rooms as the week goes on by the wonderful time you have outside of your room. We stayed on Scotts Beach, and it was heavenly. The mosquitoes were sometimes the challenging part of the trip. It's hard to keep the occasional mosquito out of the room at night. A suggestion for Caneel Bay would be to provide mosquito netting over the beds. I think that would be helpful!
Pros about the resort: friendly staff, yes, I loved them all. Very attentive and superior service. I never felt forgotten at any moment dining, or getting around the resort.
Beaches -wonderful.
Drinks yummy, but maybe more beach service staff would improve the experience.
Food- delicious. Yes, very pricey, but its no different than Hawaii. Maybe offer lighter fare, since meals were sometimes on the heavy side.
If you are looking for a relaxing, slow, vacation, Caneel Bay is the best.
It was one of our most favorite vacations! RELAXING

Room Tip: Scotts Beach for couples and children over age of 12.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
6  Thank l m
Reviewed 2 April 2014

My husband and I stayed at Caneel Bay for 1 night after being with a group of 18 at Frenchmans in Tortola for the 4 nights prior. We decided it might be nice to try it for one night and get some relaxation for just the two of us after a packed 4 days of boats and bars in the BVIs. I have to say that the water and beaches (especially Scotts and Turtle Bay) were some of the prettiest we've ever seen (including St Kitts, many in Mexico, Hawaii, Greece & Italy). The resort itself is huge and offers a great combo for nature lovers and beaches! The rooms are definitely not the nicest we've stayed in but they were comfortable and we enjoyed the trip. We ate at Zozo's which was great! Overall, we found the staff to be friendly and helpful. My only complaint would be the price. Unless money is NO object, a stay at Caneel will add up FAST! One night in a garden view with 1 breakfast, dinner and lunch and very minimal drinks added up to around $1200+. We've been to much nicer resorts that were not as expensive. I think we'll definitely be back, but it will have to be for a special occasion and would probably include a few days at Frenchmans Tortola first (the villas are much nicer and less expensive) prior to Caneel. The manager's cocktail party on Monday night was a nice touch and was about the only time we didn't feel like it was ridiculously expensive. The real draw to Caneel is the natural beauty of the island and we didn't find the beaches or grounds to be dirty, but rather a plus that there were donkeys and deer all around.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Lindsey K
Reviewed 31 March 2014

Our family just spent five days at Caneel Bay for our spring break. We were really looking forward to it because we have heard a lot about it over the years. But, I have to say we were very disappointed. The resort is in desperate need of a renovation! In fact, I could not believe we were paying that much for the poor quality of the resort. The furniture by the bar was shabby and they did not clean off the bird droppings. That was just weird. The rooms were just ok and the grounds were not well kept. In fact, there were donkeys and deer roaming around, but they did not clean up after them. Also the service was very poor and the people were not friendly. And there was no way to reach the front desk if you had problems or questions as there is no phone in the room. They seem to have only one person serving the beach. We were with another family and finally just had to laugh about it all! Overall it was a general disappointment. We will not go back.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Gallows Point Resort
#2 of 4 in Cruz Bay
4 mi away
The Ritz-Carlton, St. Thomas

Been to Caneel Bay Resort? Share your experiences!