“it was great”
Review of People to People

Ranked #147 of 305 Tours in Bahamas
More attraction details
Owner description: A tour program sponsored by the Ministry of Tourism intends to give visitors an informal view of Bahamian hospitality and way of life as they truly are.
Reviewed 12 May 2014

ive never been away from scotland the mighty scotland it was great it was fantastic here in scotland

1  Thank john e

Reviewed 18 March 2014

We were connected with Albena and had a great time with her. This island is so full of friendly people; quite refreshing. Albena was stopped by many young adults all over the island, and hugged. That gives you an idea about her. We saw the sights and learned a lot from her. This is a great program and ... Thank you Albena!

2  Thank wahinisis
Reviewed 19 February 2014

my 3 friends and i (women, ages 49/49/50/53) were in nassau in january 2014 as part of a 3 night cruise out of miami. this was the 6th time we had done this cruise so we wanted to try something different in nassau. we tried People to People on recommendation of a friend. i exchanged emails with bridgette at the ministry of tourism and then with mauricio our guide. we're weren't matched up with mauricio until the week before the trip - and being a neurotic planner, i had thought bridgette had forgotten about us!

we didn't have a particular interest - like the beach or golf or fishing - we just wanted to see more of the island. and we had limited time, being in nassau for just part of one day.

mauricio called on friday as we were boarding the ship in miami and we made a plan to meet the next day in the little building you go through to get into nassau town. he led us through the touristy madness to a quieter side street and went to get his car (an SUV).

he listed a few options and we picked seeing the forts and some caves. on the way out of nassau, he pointed out some buildings and gave us some history and facts and figures on the island and the bahamas. we went to fort montagu near the harbor - i think it was $3 to get in - then we went to mauricio's house and met his wife and mother and his three beautiful kids.

then we went to watlings distillery for a tour and tasting. it was great but surprisingly quiet there.
cconsidering how many ships were in port, you would have thought there'd be a lot more tourists around. this was free but we bought t-shirts.

then we went for lunch in arawak cay. i wish i could remember the name of the place - it was on a corner and had an upper floor with tables on the porch. it was very good and reasonably priced. we treated mauricio but it took some convincing - ha!

then we went to the caves. that was pretty cool! i think there was a fee but it was obviously cheap enough that it didn't register with me.

in between the stops, mauricio rode us around the island and so we saw the 'hood and the new construction on the western side of the island and learned a lot about how the locals live. when he dropped us back at the little buildilng in nassau town, we gave him a hug and also some gas money. i'm sure he used up plenty joy-riding us around.

i have to admit i was a little anxious about how it would go but it was a terrific experience. we might do it again next cruise!

5  Thank jody02145
Reviewed 30 December 2013

My children and I just returned from a cruise to Nassau where we participated in the People to People program for the short time we were in port. I began communicating with Bridgette at the Ministry of Tourism office a couple of months ago. Shortly before our cruise date, she contacted me with the name and contact information of our host. Her name is Antonette Nesbitt. We were able to communicate with each other via email and also through an app on our phones called WhatsApp. We were able to share a lot about ourselves and also tailor our tour before our arrival. When we finally arrived in Nassau and the Ministry office, Bridgette was very helpful and delightful. She contacted Antonette to let her know we were there and while we waited to for her to pick us up, Bridgette launched us into our cultural awareness and education of the island and it's people. We were so so excited! Antonette was there to pick us up very shortly and we began our adventure. We only had about 6-7 hours for our tour so we got right to it. She and her 10 yr old son took us to a famous fish fry restaurant not to eat but to go behind the scenes to see how they cleaned the conchs for the daily dishes. We then went to a fruit and vegetable stand to buy some ingredients for the dishes that she and her sister were going to prepare for us later in the day. We got to see and taste some very unique and tasty foods. We then drove through some beautiful neighborhoods where Antonette pointed out where some famous people owned homes such as Eddie Murphy and Sean Connery just to name a few. We then visited "The Caves" which were very cool!! We climbed around there for a while and took some great photos. Finally it was time to meet up with her sister and her children for lunch. Her sister works for a family who owns a very nice home in an exclusive private golf course community and was granted permission to host us for the afternoon. OMG!!! This place was amazing!! While Antonette and her sister were preparing our lunch, the kids took us out to the beach for a long walk. Breathtaking!! We then had our amazing home cooked meal of conch salad, fried fish, rice and peas, cooked plantains and conch fritters. They even cooked extra conch fritters for us to take back to the boat with us :) Finally it was time to say bye and we were all sad. I have to say that this was so much more than I ever expected and I strongly encourage you all to take advantage of this wonderful opportunity to meet some new friends and learn about these amazing people!!!! I have to admit that I had second thoughts about meeting up with someone I didn't know and venturing out 'there" into the unknown but I can tell you - I was wrong and I am so glad I did this with my kids. Since we have been home I have gotten a message from Antonette that this went so well that they want us to come back over the summer to be their personal guest for a Junkanoo celebration! Oh - by the way - we were her first host family!! So it was first for all of us!!

10  Thank Tina V
Reviewed 19 December 2013

My girlfriend and I took part in the People to People program and were partnered with a first time volunteer named Donyale and she was awesome! She picked us near the main fountain once you get off the cruise ships and drove us around the island to take in the sights, stop for photos, and explore some of the more touristy things too. It was great as we did not expect to be driven around which help save us so much time and allowed us to see a ton of stuff.

She brought a cool son along as well and it was nice to learn about growing up on the islands, school life, and what to do for fun around the place.

To wrap up our adventurous day, Donyale took us to her favorite restaurant on the island where we had the most amazing food (though I'm blanking on the name at the moment). The conch fritters were delicious!

All in all the People to People program seemed to be a worthwhile investment (It's Free!) and if you are visiting the island I strongly encourage you to look into the program.

5  Thank djbool