When we got to our hotel room the curtains to the windows were closed and the room was dark and uninviting. When we opened the curtains we realized this was on purpose as we faced another row of hotel bedroom windows. We hadn't booked a room with a view so no complaints about the lack of view but we had to keep the curtains closed otherwise the guests across the way could see in. Location of the room was very quiet, no complaints about any noise as stated in previous reviews.
Our hotel bathroom was nice and spacious with a walk in shower and tub. Bathroom was great until you turned on the water. The water from both the sink and the shower was brown and had a foul smell. The shower head was dirty and needed to be cleaned. We had a full selection of towels on our first day and the rest of our stay we were left with only bath towels. No hand towels or face cloths. I wouldn't normally be so petty to point such stuff out but when you are paying a $34 per night resort fee you expect service to be above average.
At check in we were told about the Thanksgiving dinner that was being served until 3:00pm. It was 2:30pm when we got to the restaurant. The servers and hostess were all gathered around the hostess stand and even though one of the servers told the hostess several times that we were a party of two, she made no eye contact or acknowledged us and we felt that we were interrupting her. The restaurant was not busy and when she finally sat us it was at a table that was not set and that was in the corner and by the server set up station, even though tables were available by the windows. She then abruptly told us that if we wanted to order from the menu we would have to do so now as the kitchen closed at 3pm. We were not feeling any hospitality so we decided to leave.
The bed was very uncomfortable and you rolled into the middle of bed as it sloped.
On a positive note, the hotel grounds, pool, and beach were beautiful and very clean and the cabana beds are a nice touch. The beach is man made and it is nice to watch the cruise ships come and go, but not sure I would swim in the water due to the pollution that must come from them. Concierge, front desk and maids were always very friendly and great cocktails from the Bullion Bar.
In general we were very disappointed in our stay. We have stayed many times at Hilton properties all over the world. In the past we have always chosen Hilton as we can rely upon the high standards and great customer service this was not the case at the British Colonial Hilton. The entire stay felt like hard work.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Situated on downtown Nassau’s only private beach and the site of Old Fort Nassau, the British Colonial Hilton in the Bahamas has undergone a multi-million renovation throughout all areas of the hotel, and offers a taste of the island’s rich history, along with some of the most modern amenities for both business and vacation travelers. What’s more the hotel is only 25 minutes from Nassau (Lynden Pindling International) Airport. The hotel is a true Bahamian experience with a marble-tiled lobby and is studded with palm trees under a skylight ceiling. There are 288 luxuriously appointed guest rooms with harbor or island views. All rooms are furnished with tasteful decor, complemented by separate shower and bathtub. One-bedroom suites offer a separate living area with sofa bed, and Executive accommodations are also available along with the Executive Lounge, where attentive hotel staff assures that every need and whim will be met during your stay. Recreational activities are convenient and varied for leisure and business travelers alike. A 300-ft long private white sand beach is furnished with lounge chairs and thatched sunshades overlooking the harbor offering a peaceful and secluded access for an ocean swim or a day in the sun. Use of kayaks and snorkeling gear on the beach is complimentary. Bordered on one side by a tropical garden, the hotel's freshwater pool offers harbor views and has an expansive sundeck with lounge chairs and umbrellas. Both the sundeck and beach offer views of cruise ships moored nearby, and of the western tip of Paradise Island, 300 yards offshore. Guests can snooze in hammocks on the lawn adjacent to the pool. The property can also organize trips out reef snorkeling island exploring, boating, golf, tennis and scuba diving. For dining options, Aqua is a fun, casual restaurant serving international favorites with a Caribbean flair, or guests can meet up for cocktails at the Bullion Bar. The new Bullion Bar is the 'place to be seen' for happy hour with great drink specials and tasty snacks. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Priceline, Ctrip TA, Odigeo, Ebookers, Hotels.com, Expedia, Booking.com, Southall Travel, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly, Cancelon and getaroom.com so you can book your British Colonial Hilton Nassau reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- British Colonial Hilton Nassau Hotel Nassau
- Hilton Hotel Nassau
- Hilton Nassau
- Nassau Hilton
- British Colonial Hilton Nassau Bahamas