“Grandkids swam with a Movie Star!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Blue Lagoon Segway Safari Tour
Ranked #3 of 123 things to do in Nassau
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: These trained dolphins are playful and friendly, specializing in giving visitors a ride on the "dolphin surf," where one of these gentle creatures pushes you through the water with their snout.
Charlotte, North Carolina
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 106 helpful votes
“Grandkids swam with a Movie Star!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2012

We took a cruise and arrived at Nassau at 7 AM. We opted for the 10:30 trip, which meant that we had to be over at the Paradise Island docks on Paradise Island at 10 AM to check in. We took a taxi for $4 per person from the docks over and the ride only took 10 or 15 minutes at most. When we arrived, we checked in and waited, and at 10:30 the double decker boat took off for the island. The ride over to the island was about 30 to 35 minutes long. Upon arriving, you see a silo and a cannon at the entrance to the lagoon, which was neat for the kids. Once there, they tell you to go to the right if you are swimming with the dolphins, and to the left if you are there for the beach day. We were then asked to go into a room and sit down on benches, and given a short 15 minute orientation about the dolphins and where to, and where to not touch them and so on. Then they have lockers that you can put your valuables in, and then told where to go for your dolphin swim. Our Grandkids swam with Jake and Stormy. One of the dolphins was a movie star and had starred in the movie "Flipper", but I can't remember which one. They petted them, danced with them, hugged them, kissed them, and then at the end the two dolphins pushed them across the lagoon. The Grandkids had the time of their lives. Afterwards, you are given the oportunity to view the video and purchase them or pictures if you want to. They have packages that group different things together that save you money, if you want that much. I had not swam with the dolphins and had taken lots of pictures with my digital camera, but I still bought 2 of the DVD videos ($59 per video), and 3 pictures at $16 a picture. I'm not sure if you can burn extra copies of the videos once you get home, but we wanted 2 of them so I didn't want to take a chance. Then we proceeded to the beach and found out that if you just want to lay on the beach and get in the water it's free, but they have these "Wipe Out" type blow up slides and inflatables in the water, and if your kids want to play on those its another $15 per child. I thought that was well worth the money. Also, the lunch is an extra $15 per person, and it includes a hamburger/cheeseburger or hot dog with french fries, and an ice tea or lemonade to drink. Kinda expensive at $15, but you gotta eat, right? Anyway, the kids just loved this place, played on the inflatables all day long until it was time to go back to the ship, and wished we could have stayed longer. On the trip back, they get on the loudspeaker and point out different homes of the stars on Paradise Island. They pointed out Oprah Winfrey's house, Nicolas Cage's house, Tiger Wood's house... I mean Tiger Wood's ex-wife's house now... and others. Kids loved it. We had a blast at the Blue Lagoon Island and would definately do it again if we go back. I would only recommend going on the 8:30 boat instead of the 10:30 one if possible, so you get 2 extra hours of fun on the island. Thank you Blue Lagoon, for memories that will last a lifetime.

9 Thank Dan_N_NC

• Greek first
Chadds Ford, Pennsylvania
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“Just ok.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2012

Stayed at blue lagoon after our sea lion encounter. It was a nice time but my review could be based on the fact that it was unbearably hot. we prepaid for the "beach time" which worked out well as I had no idea it included lunch and use of the waterpark which was worth the $32 fee

Visited August 2012
6 Thank momofmombo
Eugene, Oregon
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“Very private, loved the dolphins”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2012

We docked in Nassau at noon and stayed overnight, so we went to Blue Lagoon to swim with the dolphins. We absolutely loved the experience. It was so private, not many people there either.

Visited September 2011
2 Thank iturn2dj
Somers, New York
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“The best $15 bucks I spent all week”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2012

We were on Blue Lagoon Island for a Dolphin Encounter (additional expense) but afterwards spent the whole day on the island. $15 bucks will get your kid a wrist band to spend as much time as they like on the water floating inflatables. Kind of reminded us of the show "wipeout". We took the 8am ferry to the island and the last boat back to Paradise Island. Not to be missed.

1 Thank yankeegirl13
Harleysville, PA
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 135 helpful votes
“Loved the Dolphin Swim at Blue Lagoon (lunch, not so much…)”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2012

My 13-year old daughter and I recently went to Blue Lagoon as part of a Disney Cruise excursion while we were in port at Nassau, Bahamas. Although I have been to Nassau many times, this was our 1st visit to Blue Lagoon. We booked the “Dolphin Swim” which includes a brief classroom orientation followed by a generous amount of in-water and hands-on interaction with trained dolphins, capped off by a thrilling “dolphin push” at the end (where a dolphin or two propels you across the lagoon – really cool!).

Disney did a great job with the logistics. Participants met on the ship to get the needed IDs and info, and then proceeded out to get a “water taxi” to Blue Lagoon. This taxi was in the form of a large double-decker catamaran. We made a brief stop at Atlantis to pick up a few passengers, and then proceeded on to Blue Lagoon from there. Total taxi time was about 30 minutes. The ride was very pleasant, while we caught glimpses of numerous eye-popping yachts, beachfront mansions, etc. not to mention simply enjoying the azure blue waters of the Bahamas. It certainly beats most “taxi” rides I would say…

Once we arrived at Blue Lagoon, we were directed to various areas depending on the type of activity selected (in addition to the Dolphin Swim, they offer other types of dolphin and sea lion experiences). For the dolphin swim, we were divided up into 4 groups of 10 people each; each group was assigned 2 dolphins and 2 dolphin trainers (while a 3rd staff member videos the session). Each participant is given a life vest, and hops in the lagoon where the water is about 25’ deep. Thanks to the vests, it is very easy to stay afloat.

Our dolphins were named Princess and Nina, and they were delightful. We each got to stroke the dolphins, and then in pairs interact with them as they performed “behaviors” such as kissing us (on the lips!), hugs, dancing, feeding, etc. After we all had our turns, the trainers had the dolphins do flips, play basketball, catch footballs, and more. Finally, we each took our individual turns getting the dolphin foot push, which is something you just have to experience for yourself to believe. Great fun!! (TIP: Search YouTube for “Blue Lagoon Dolphin Push” to get a glimpse of what’s in store with this). Our group ranged in age from about 5 to 70 I would say, and we each had a blast.

After the Dolphin Swim you exit to the changing area where you can preview the videos that were shot, and then proceed to the gift shop where you can buy the video / photos as well as a nice assortment of souvenirs.

Return water taxis were scheduled for 1:00, 2:00, and 4:00 p.m. We opted to stay until 2:00 p.m., so we headed over the foot-bridge to the Blue Lagoon beach area. We didn’t have a whole lot of time to explore, but my overall impressions were good. The beach/swim area is lovely, and they have numerous picnic tables scattered along the beach where you can relax in the shade of the palm trees. There was a beach volleyball court, a water inflatables area (for an extra charge), beach bar, restaurant, and more. In addition, there were a few “straw market” type stalls, hair braiders, etc.

My only complaint about Blue Lagoon regards the beach bar and restaurant. To get lunch at the restaurant you either need to present a voucher (which was not part of our package), or go to the beach bar to pre-pay for the lunch and then bring the receipt back over to the restaurant to pick up the buffet-style food. This would be fine except that the “service” at the beach bar was dreadfully lacking. They were moderately busy, but clearly had no idea who came in when, and it took more than 10 minutes for them to even acknowledge me. By that point I’d decided I’d just order lunch for my daughter (thinking I’d just grab something when I returned to our ship), and I’m so glad that I did because the bill for 1 hot dog, 1 soda, and 1 beer came to over $23! Nothing like spending that kind of $$ for warmed-over cafeteria quality food… If we had it to do over again, I would have just bought some cold drinks in the gift shop, enjoy their beach for the next hour, and then plan for a late lunch on the ship where the food is so much better (and already paid for).

Bottom line is that I would give the Blue Lagoon Dolphin Swim 5 stars, their food service 3 stars (at most), with an “overall” rating of 4 stars for the attraction. I do heartily recommend Blue Lagoon for the Dolphin Swim (or other animal experiences) and for the quality of their beach area. It’s well worth the visit for those!

6 Thank Luv2Travel_19438