El Greco Hotel
  • Breakfast included
Sandyport Beach Resort(Nassau)
US$318
  • Pool
British Colonial Hilton Nassau(Nassau)(Great Value!)
US$282
HotelsClick
TripAdvisor
  • Breakfast included
  • Pool
All reviewsfish fryminute walkrooms are bigloved this hoteltiki hutjunkanoo festivalstraw marketconch salad5minhilton
Reviewed 1 July 2014

I chose EL GRECO after checking out 3 other "low cost" establishments in the downtown area (Towne, Junkanoo, and 2 others whose names I can't remember). At $110 - $115 per night I still felt it was overpriced for what it was (picture a 50-year old "motel 6") but it was DEFINITELY the best of the lot in this price range for the area. Be prepared: *NOTHING is cheap* in the Bahamas!

Plusses: You could not ask for a friendlier, more attentive staff. Sean & Jason were especially wonderful. The courtyard and lobby are simple but clean, well-kept, attractive and appealing. The pool sparkles. The ac works well. It's a small hotel, so you'll have the opportunity to meet nice people from all over the world. The location is great- right across from the beach (which could use some cleaning up) and an easy walk to downtown attractions & shops, good restaurants, etc.

Room for Improvement: As mentioned by another reviewer- a hammer, nails & some caulk, a good scrub brush & a few gallons of paint would really work wonders here. At first glance, the average American will be appalled at the room condition. Be prepared for shelves falling off walls, broken closet doors, discolored tiles, etc. But once you realize that the rooms actually *are* clean (they just don't look it), you get used to it. Think of it as camping out- but with air conditioning.

I found it to be quite peaceful and quiet (except one weekend night when a few rowdy people took over the pool for a brief period but were silenced by management), and I had no issue with the internet. I also felt very safe.

Conclusion: With minimal work, this could be a *really* pleasant place to stay! The addition of a little continental breakfast - just some juice, bread/jam- would be a welcome addition, too and would add to the sense of getting a good value for your money.

All in all, I loved my stay b/c of the *wonderful people*- and even though the rooms are in definite need of some TLC, I would definitely stay at El Greco again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
4  Thank E G
Reviewed 14 May 2014

I stayed at this hotel last week, a single white female traveling by myself which is somewhat unusual in the Caribbean. I felt so at home at this hotel and made friends with the lovely staff there who all looked out for me and loved hearing my adventure stories (swimming with dolphins, snorkeling with sharks!). I would highly recommend this hotel in terms of location/ rooms are perfectly adequate and clean/ small but refreshing pool and as already mentioned - the lovliest staff :) For me it was the perfect place to stay to be close to the action of Fish Fry where I could mingle with the locals and eat delicious food every night!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
6  Thank AliveOProductions
Reviewed 26 March 2014

Though the location is very good, as it is right next to the beach, the rooms are not up to standard.
No shampoo or other toiletries except two thin slivers of soap. The shower head in my room was stuck and only directs the water towards the other side of the tub, so I could only wash with what trickled down from my hair! Had to manipulate with three taps to get the water.
Hair dryer was not working.
My colleague's room had no phone. Tried to reach him through the reception...first time he hung up on me...the second time he asked me to dial 40 when my friend's room was 30, the thrird time he said he would send someone to check on the room, the fourth time he said there was no phone in my friend's room.
Requested extra pillow from Housekeeping...never got back to me.
Only saving grace is the good strong wifi. And the female reception staff who were very friendly.

Room Tip: Look up Hotel Junkeroo....that was my first choice, but it was full.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank Persimmone
Reviewed 28 February 2014

I was able to appreciate the friendliness of the staff of this hotel during my stay in Nassau.
The place is nice, friendly and clean, and most importantly it is also frequented by locals, which I think is the most important thing. Just outside the hotel there is a very pretty beach with many kiosks and live music. If you want to stay away from the boring European style this is your hotel!
Riccardo

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank richi b
Reviewed 8 January 2014

El Greco could be a lovely hotel if the owner made the effort. The rooms are spacious, but that's pretty much all it has going for it. It's run down and in need of a thorough scrubbing and new bed linens. We spent one night in a 'junior executive suite' after a sailing holiday. We just wanted a place to lay our heads before returning home, so we didn't really mind. However, if we'd booked several nights or an entire holiday here we'd have demanded our money back. Two minutes after showering, my feet were black just from walking on the tiled floor from the bathroom to the bed and back again. Our friend had booked 3 nights and had a terrible room with grungy carpet (?!) and broken bathroom fixtures. The pool looked dirty and uninviting. The beach across the road is loud and unappealing, and very close to where the massive cruise ships that come in to Nassau every day are moored. On the positive side the hotel is near the main drag and the staff were courteous, as long as you didn't complain about anything.
We weren't expecting luxury, but even the most basic hotel can be clean and in good repair. The owner apparently doesn't care about his/her customers or the hotel.

Room Tip: If you must stay here, pay a little extra for the junior executive suite. We stayed in Room 12, which if properly cleaned, would be okay for a night or two.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Debra69
ElGrecoBahamas, Manager at El Greco Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 February 2014

Thank you for your comments. At El Greco Hotel we take all guests comments very seriously. We have recently completed significant upgrades to our facilities to serve you better.

It is unfortunate that you did not fully enjoy your stay with us. We pride ourselves on meeting guests expectations and addressing any concerns as soon as brought to our attention. We were not made aware of any issues or concerns.

Thank you for staying with us and we can assure you that should you choose to stay with us again, you will not be disappointed. We have shared your comments with our staff and assure you that at El Greco we are committed to providing a pleasurable experience to each guest.