“5 stars?? not in my opinion”
Review of Graycliff Hotel

Graycliff Hotel
Ranked #9 of 37 Hotels in Nassau
Guelph, Ontario
“5 stars?? not in my opinion”
Reviewed 9 June 2014

Well, what can I say, I had expectation which I'm sorry to say were not met.

I stayed overnight at Graycliff as I reintegrated myself back into the world (I was in Bimini for 6 days, and it is a world unto itself). I chose Graycliff based on the reviews I read here - an old world hotel set away from the hustle and bustle of Nassau proper. That part is true. A short walk down the street takes you to the main shopping strip in Nassau - at this time of year make sure you take an umbrella, I got caught in a downpour and came back to the hotel soaked (it was cooling at least).

I was lead on a circuitous route through the gardens to my room (Corona) above the Brazilian restaurant. A lovely suite with a couch, bar fridge (sans price list so I couldn't gasp at the prices for all the goodies), large king bed (someone else posted the bed sloped in the middle - alone in it I was fine). The room itself had that musty, old house smell which seemed present in most of the hotel. This is something that comes with the territory and is pretty much unavoidable in a building of this age, and in the tropics no less. The bathroom was marble, with jacuzzi tub, shower and a bidet. Yet the functionality of the room should have been thought out a wee bit more. The lovely pedestal sink had a wee little shelf above and THAT WAS IT. I don't have lots of creams, lotions and potions in my toiletry bag and I was hard pressed to find a place for things (around the rim of the tub perhaps??) The shower was tiled in marble as was the rest of the bathroom, but it was rather small, and SERIOUSLY - a room that is priced at $340 for the night (and I got a special deal) should have a REAL shower curtain made of fabric that can be washed to prevent mold and completes the elegant look I can tell they were going for. The cheap vinyl curtain with the dollar store hooks just doesn't cut it in my books. And there had to be a better option for a shower caddy than the wire thing that was there (again looked like it came from the dollar store). The A/C did work great and drowned out the car and street noise.

The grounds and property are in need of more love and attention than the sparce crew that I could see were able to give. Leaves on walkways needed sweeping, chairs around the smaller pool needed fixing/replacing, buildings needed attending to. I get that the warm, moist sea air is extremely hard on buildings, but if you bill yourself as a 5 star hotel with all the ambiance and bells and whistles that go with it, then you had best provide a 5 star setting.

As my room did not have a balcony, it would have been nice to have some COVERED outdoor spots to sit and read a book. I suppose I could have sat in the bar area adjacent to the cigar factory but it seemed rather desolate. Umbrellas are needed to walk from the far end of the property to the restaurant if it is raining (there was one in the room).

I ate at 2 of the 3 restaurants. A pizza for lunch - I'm afraid was not up to snuff (I had a better pizza at Compass Point the week before), and I received a discount on the price due some issues I had with it. Hoping to give the hotel a chance to redeem itself, I chose to stay in and have dinner in the "fancy" restaurant. I knew in advance that it was going to be a pricey dinner. The attention from the staff certainly wasn't lacking - I was served by at least 5 waiters (I lost count). I will say it was tasty, but it didn't "knock my socks off" and after having a Kir Royale, a steak, 3 side dishes (the steak is ALONE on the plate), and a souffle my meal was $138 with tip. I packed up the left over steak (I was not about to attempt to eat 14 oz in one sitting) and added it to a takeway caesar salad for my lunch the next day. I had to laugh at the supplies I was given (no fault of the wait staff) - Wendy's has sturdier forks than the plastic fork I was given.

So, in a nut shell. It is secluded, has an amazing liquor cabinet (1888 was on a bottle I saw), and the staff are attentive. HOWEVER, the i's aren't dotted and the t's aren't crossed. If you are billing yourself as a 5 star hotel, you had better come with your A game. I'm afraid B+ isn't enough.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
7 Thank CG_Guelph

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 26 May 2014

We spent two nights at the Graycliff but wish it could be more!

The Pros:
- NO kids. Unlike the mad house at the Blue Lagoon, here you can actually have the very beautiful, very-Hurst-Castle-like swimming pool all to yourself. A sign of relief!
- Friendly staff.
- Excellent drinks! Try the Millionaire.

The Cons:
- They should've done a better, more consistent job of telling us about their three on-site attractions: the chocolate factory, the cigar factory, and the wine cellar. We missed all three! ...Because they didn't tell us the two factories/tours are both closed on Sundays. Sigh. The wine cellar, the 3rd largest in the world, is only open during dinner hours. Make sure you check these out! And PLAN better. Don't do what we did. :)
- They only offer an American breakfast. But I didn't come to the Bahamas to have scrambled eggs!

As a consolation prize, we bought some chocolates from the gift shop directly across the street from the hotel entrance. The BACON chocolate was sooooo good!

2 Thank SFOO7
Winter Park, Florida
Reviewed 20 May 2014

We just came from a three-night stay and we had an excellent experience at the Graycliff. I can easily state that this hotel is not for everyone, but if you are looking for the alternative to the beach hotels and what Paradise Island has to offer, then you will find this to be an exceptional place. We had a suite facing the street, but it was entirely liveable with the street noise and the dining and drinking crowd of the evening. The suite was large and clean and had all the modern accoutrements that you would want. The service is very friendly and helpful wherever they can be, but it's not a Four Seasons or a One & Only where they will wait on you hand-and-foot. It's also a quiet place despite the fact that it's in the middle of Nassau but that's due in large part to the fact that there aren't a lot of rooms and very few children as guests. As you will no doubt find from the other reviews, the restaurant is excellent but pricey, the wine cellar is extraordinary, and the cigars and chocolates are very good. There are two pools on the property and the main pool is especially nice with it's floral tiling and both are set into the lush gardens of the property. What strikes you about the place in its entirety is its uniqueness and that is best seen at night when you are having a cocktail, sitting deeply into one of the leather couches in the "living room" listening to the excellent pianist. In the evening there is a real electricity to the place which you can easily slip into and then, at the end of it, walk up the creaky stairs to your very comfortable room. The only negative that I would state is that you can probably find a better and more reasonable breakfast down the street, but that would hardly keep me from coming back to this wonderfully unique hotel.

Room Tip: Our room was in the main house and upon my return I would ask for the same room.
2 Thank MJCOS
Willemstad, Curacao
Reviewed 20 May 2014

We went to Nassau for a long weekend and we decided to stay in town at the Graycliff hotel . We had the "pool cottage " beautifully decorated , in a lush garden adjacent to the amazing swimming pool . But there were a couple of things very disappointing : the poor quality and expensive breakfast and the invasion by a group of young people from the cruise ships taking completely control of the swimming pool , so no long chairs avalable for the hotel guests . The main building needs some attentions , as well restaurant chairs and table cloths , but the cuisine is excellent .
Worth while to taste the exquisite chocolate from the Graycliff chocolate factory and a must to visit the wine cellar . By the way the staff is very friendly

Room Tip: We had the " pool cottage" that was beautiful ! Old fashion bathroom , very big with authe...
2 Thank Barbara-van-B
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 9 April 2014

In January we visited the Graycliff while in port from a cuise. After viewing their website and reading the cigar reviews, we made it a point to visit. While the interior of the property is beautiful, the exterior leaves much to be desired. Also, the bridges over the ponds, etc are wet and become a safwty hazard....I slipped and fell on one, throwing out my back. The hotel wner witnessed this and only offered to get me a drink. The cigars are god, nut order them online and save the trip.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Andy R
Tennessee
Reviewed 27 March 2014

The Graycliff hotel is a hotel feel with a B&B size. The hotel was the 18th century residence of the Royal Governor to the Bahamas. We stayed in the Woods-Rogers Room, facing the ocean. Huge room, in which the king size bed looked small, large modern bath, and front porch just steps from the room. Because of the thick walls, the room was quiet, even being in downtown Nassau. The gardens and tiled pools are a luxurious experience and provided a relaxing afternoon.

Room Tip: All have high ceilings and thick walls. Ocean facing rooms have exterior windows.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ed VV
Kentucky
Reviewed 24 March 2014

Been to Nassua many times and while we have eaten in the restaurant we had not stayed in the hotel until this Feb. Great experience and we would do it again. Beautiful pivately owned and very unique hotel and restaurant. Built 260 years ago as a private home it has expanded to take over virtuall a city block in Nassau two blocks off Bay St. Stay in the main house - very historic and enormous suites.. It is old but well kept so while the stairs might squeak the rooms are beautiful and modern with all usual amenities. Two pools, gardens,cigar factory, small chocolate factory on the grounds and the best restaurant by far in the Bahamas.Very few children so the pool areas were quiet and well served. The entire stall isf extremely accomodating. Tour the wine seller while there - over 275,000 bottle and absolutely incredible. Restaurant is $$$$ but worth every dollar for the sevice, food, and wines.There is also a more casual restaurant on the propery. No beach but they arranged a day at a small out island for only the cost of cab fare to the dock. We later found out that others paid in excess of $50 a piece to go there - free if staying at Graycliff.

Room Tip: we had a suite on the street side in the main house - very large and comfortable - street noise is n...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nassau
Atlantis, Royal Towers, Autograph Collection
Sandals Royal Bahamian Spa Resort & Offshore Island
One & Only Ocean Club
One & Only Ocean Club
#6 of 14 in Paradise Island

Been to Graycliff Hotel? Share your experiences!