“A place of contradictions.”

Orange Hill Beach Inn
Ranked #19 of 36 Hotels in Nassau
Reviewed 28 July 2011

Looking at all the reviews of Orange Hill, I didn't quite know what to expect when I visited for 5 days with my family. Some were glowing, some were terrible. And the truth is, they're both correct.
We stayed in the upstairs apartment, which is a good size and has a great balcony to sit on and watch the sun go down over the lovely azure sea across the road. But the two king beds were ancient and tatty, one had worn springs that were so noisy it sounded like a 'gamalan' orchestra had entered the room every time you rolled over. And even though cleaning was regular, it all felt a bit grubby. And although it had a large kitchen area, there was no air con in it, so it was too hot to use so you'd find yourself scampering through it from bathroom to bedroom and back.
It had a pool, but this was unhealthily, cloudy green when we were there, so we never used it. Instead we went across the road to the beach which is lovely and generally quiet, but it has a lot of broken glass on it (some of which had been there long enough to have the sharp edges worn off). The sea was wonderful, warm, clear, and with a reef close to the shore with fantastic snorkelling. We saw barracuda, sun fish, puffer fish, conch, as well as most of the cast of 'Finding Nemo.'
The food in the hotel wasn't great, but it was certainly plentiful and reasonably priced. And there weren't many other places to go (The nearest, 'Traveller Rest', about 20 mins walk, was a disappointment, flacid, tasteless food, poor service and expensive. 'Compass point' a quirky, multi-coloured hotel complex, about 10 mins further on had good food but was very expensive.)
Service swung wildly from ultra helpful and friendly, to disinterested and downright rude. They will run you down to the local supermarket to shop in the morning, for free. And they also dropped us off at the airport, for free. But the locals rarely smiled and if you asked for anything that involved extra effort, it seemed to exasperate them.
You can catch a no. 10 bus outside (just flag them down) and go to Nassau for just $1.25. But there's not a lot to see; lots of huge cruise ships and hugely unfriendly locals. And just outside the town is Cable Beach, where all the unattractive, big hotels squat...unattractively.
Definite plus points for Orange Hill for its location; 5 mins from the airport (yet not really bothered by the noise) and last pick up and first drop off for Stuart Cove's bus (fab. diving, try the Shark Adventure, an amazing hoot!). And it is really quiet (although one time we had an incredibly noisy party going on to the early hours in the apartment below.)
The bar was great too, with some real characters and an honesty scheme, where you are trusted to sign for the beer you drink. Although smoking was allowed.
And there was free internet for customers, but you had to be quick because it was absolutely infested with mosquitos.
The grounds were lovely, well tended, with banana plants, and avocado and lime trees and coconut palms. No down side to that.
Just to finally illustrate the almost schizophrenic nature of the place, we booked a final night and late check out day and the owner promised us a room with a balcony to enjoy the view for our last Bahamian hours. When we arrived late on the night, we'd been put in the bottom apartment (where the party had been) which has no balcony, was full of mosquitos and really dark, dinghy and grubby (avoid this apartment!). It also had the noisiest air con unit I have ever heard, frequently winding itself up to sound like a rescue helicopter hovering outside the room.
When we grumbled about it to the night manager, he said nothing could be done. One sleepless night later, I spoke to Brendan the manager and he moved us into one of the front two cottages for the day, with magnificent views. (These are the newest properties and very nice for couples to stay in.)
So there you go, one thing it certainly wasn't was boring. And given the price and if i could stay in the cottages, I probably would again.....or maybe I wouldn't.

Room Tip: The 2 cottages are nicest and newest properties.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
9  Thank HRFC

Reviewed 23 June 2011

Orange Hill Beach Inn is a quick ride from the airport. (I confirmed first with the driver and paid only $10.) Upon arriving, I was pleased to see a quaint resort with well-kept, small grounds and a private feel. After wasting an hour in immigration, I was happy to quickly get checked in by a very friendly and helpful employee. The hotel is showing signs of age but was clean and comfortable. My room floor was a little sticky from the humidity but closing the windows a little fixed that. The bed was comfortable. The TV only had about 6 channels so I didn't place a deposit for a remote and was fine with that choice (I didn't come to watch TV.) I didn't try the pool but I had a lovely view on my balcony of it and the beach beyond. The beach, only a 2 minute walk across the street is gorgeous, calm and WARM and was deserted on the weekdays. My first night, I threw caution to the wind and decided to walk to the 24-hour grocery store. The girl at the front desk said it wasn't within walking distance.. it ended up taking about 1 hour and 15 minutes to get there. This being the Bahamas, I didn't regret it! I was also offered some rides, but declined since it was dark. It was a pleasant walk but I was glad to relax at the hotel after it was over. I used the room minifridge and microwave to prepare dinner and store my food. I took a local bus into Nassau the next day and had a walk around. Lots of construction, some dirt, not much to do so I took some pictures and headed back to the beach. I had been a little wary after reading other reviews, but I was really happy with Orange Hill, and I would return. I made use of the free computer with internet, and never even had to wait for it. The hotel guests seemed ready to relax, no loud partying or annoying people. After seeing Cable Beach, I'd take this place over an all-inclusive any day. The hotel called me a cab for a ride back to the airport, this time it was $15 (confirmed prior to riding) but the guy had one arm, I didn't protest. If you aren't high maintenance, I think this place delivers the right location, price and comfort level

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank primerstar6
Reviewed 1 June 2011

We stayed over night at Orange Hill as a layover coming home from Exuma. We really wish we would have had more time here. Upon arriving, they gave us an upgrade without asking to an apt. We didn't have transportation and got there about 6pm and had a very early flight out at 4:30am the next morning. We ate at the restaurant. Everyone there was very accomodating. I would go back for future trips.

Room Tip: Not fancy, but quaint!
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank gonewr
Reviewed 21 May 2011

I have fallen in love with this place. My older son & his bride are staying at one if those expensive all inclusive places & I would not trade places with them for anything.
Everyone from the management/owners to the maintenance person are friendly & helpful. The room is clean & neat, the food is good & the cook may have a stern look on her face, but she makes everything with pride & love for her craft. I have food allergies & I know I am difficult to feed. She took the time & effort to make sure I got a good meal tonight & plans to have things on the menu for our next evening in.
The locals are engaging and friendly & don't mind helping us new comers & tourists navigate everything from the bus routes to books on the history of the region.

If you really want a peaceful relaxing vacation away from the tourist trap, do yourself a favor & come to Orange Hill.

• Stayed: May 2011
1  Thank TigsFlyer
Reviewed 5 April 2011

Our cab driver from the airport didn't even want to take us there!
When we got to our room it was so dirty and shabby, rundown we immediately went back and asked for another room. The second room was the same, Disgusting bathroom, rusty AC, filthy floors, so we knew this was just how it was. If the people giving good reviews want to trade dirt for a place away from everything then I guess that's why they like it. The proprietors were rude.
The beach full of rocks, not even enough space to spread a towel if you wanted to.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
6  Thank nellybelle_9
Reviewed 8 March 2011

Great little spot in a quiet area of Nassau! We spent 4 nights here and it was great! We had one of the little rooms down by the road, balcony, little kitchen and nice big room overlooking the ocean. Loved that you could grab the bus and head downtown! The beach was nice, didn't spend anytime at the pool. Liked the honor bar as well. You can walk up to Compass Point or Traveler's Rest for some food/drink. If you choose to dive through Stuarts Cove they will pick you up and drop off. If you are looking for frills and a resort experience this isn't for you.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank travelerjp
Reviewed 1 March 2011

Nice quiet and clean room. Close to beautiful beach - beautiful view overlooking the ocean from the front of the hotel. Particularly liked the Honor Bar. Not so far from the airport, thus not so expensive to hire a taxi to catch your flight. Nice pool.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank RocketMan352
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nassau
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Nassau
Melia Nassau Beach - All Inclusive
Grand Hyatt Baha Mar
Grand Hyatt Baha Mar
#1 of 36 in Nassau

Been to Orange Hill Beach Inn? Share your experiences!