“Nice Safe Stay”

Ranked #19 of 37 Hotels in Nassau
los angeles
“Nice Safe Stay”
Reviewed 9 April 2013

After paying 200 for a nite at the wyndom, and 500 for comfort suites that "came with access to atlantis, we were ready to scale down. A local taxi cab lady driver said the locals looking for a nice retreat come here. My wife, daughter and I checked in with 1 nites reservations.

The owners are on the ball and dont rely on managers to run the place. The bar is self serve honor system!!! The onsite restaurant serves good reasonably priced meals, breakfast included fresh coffee and very tasty fruit juices.

While sipping local beer, I met some very interesting people that have discovered Orange Hill. The place has a very homely atmosphere, not run down as others have quoted. This is an island with salty air, a very corrosive hostile environment that plays hell on metal and paint.

Very friendly helpful staff and appreciative guests looking for something quieter away from the hustle and bustle of downtown and the cruise ship area.

I would not hesitate to stay here again. If you are looking for a quiet place to read or write a book, this place fits the bill! Thank you for having us.

Sincerely dave, joyce and Dr. Lisa Wilson

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank skykingd18

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 26 March 2013

I've stayed there 6 times, overnighting on my way to another island and once for 3 nights because of airline problems. It's by far the best deal around Nassau. I travel a great deal. I'm in western Europe a couple of times a year and South America for 3 months a year. Normally I would never go to Nassau, but I fish yearly on one of the remote islands and must overnight. I used to stay in the gloomy British Colonial until I was introduced to the Orange Hill. It's basically a rambling motel; reasonably priced; the people are nice; it could use some work, but so what. It's cheerful. The food is not so hot, but there are 2 or 3 places within walking distance going away from Nassau. Like I say, it's a motel, a rambling semi-tropical motel. What's wrong with that?

Room Tip: There are stairs but I like the rooms at the back
Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends

Cleanliness: Average
Cost: Good Value
Food Availability: Average
Location: Excellent

We ordered Chinese and it was pretty good. Price of food was the same as the US, with the exception that cans of soda are uniformly $2 everywhere. We went across the street to the beach and took some photos. There was a bit of broken glass and trash on it but overall it was a wonderful beach.

When we left Orange Hill I had to address with the staff that all our food went bad because the refrigerator was either off or not working. When we came in it was cold, so I had no idea. The front desk was quite rude about it. I asked only for a couple of free sodas which was a fraction of the cost of the food we lost, and wouldn’t have been much to the hotel, but instead of taking me up on that offer they sent someone to check on it while we waited and then credited our bill $15 which was a fair amount but I would rather not have waited as I had an anxious child.

The coffeepot was odd. The part that holds the filter didn't seem to really fit. It didn't work very well.

Overall this was a very good deal for us since we needed 3 beds.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 March 2013

We stayed in one of the poolside rooms last year and we had a pleasant enough stay. There were definite plus points and downsides to staying at the Orange Hill Beach Inn. The owners are super nice and friendly, even offering us a lift into town when they saw we were waiting for a bus. The room was a good size and offered a decent range of US TV channels. The inhouse restaurant offered mostly average food but cheap. Breakfast could have been better but we never went hungry.

The staff were mostly friendly though when we first asked a staff member whether they were offering lunch one day, we were told no despite information to the contrary. We then asked Mina who confirmed that lunch was available which was then prepared by another member of staff. A bit confusing and we did feel a bit uncomfortable.

The hotel is far from Nassau city centre and Cable beach but you can take the bus quite cheaply (totally confusing system but that's another story!). The beach outside the hotel is probably nice most of the time but we arrived just after the hurricane and lots of seaweed had washed ashore, making it impossible to spend any time on. Nice for walk though.

I would say that you get what you pay for. Nassau is really expensive and this is a decent hotel for the price you pay.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
Dundas, ON
Reviewed 18 March 2013

Not a bad place to have to stop over and stay the night in between flights in and out of Nassau. There is a restaurant on site - best mac & cheese and jerk chicken I've ever had, free coffee available in the lounge, nice outdoor atmosphere to sit outside and just relax. The little cabins are cute and comfortable - a bit noisy at night with a generator that constantly turns on and off. The rooms are basic and clean. Our window didn't open but since we were leaving the next day it wasn't a big deal. Would I stay there again? Yes I would - good value for the money. And we could hop the #10 bus to go downtown to vist all tourist traps and the recently renovated Straw Market.

Room Tip: Lots of stairs here - so if you have trouble walking or have heavy suitcases ask for a room on the g...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Beth S
Reviewed 5 March 2013 via mobile

Stayed 2 nights in a cottage. Cottages are next door to each other. Cottage itself was cute and has so much potential. I have to give it 3 stars due to the cottage setting as I could see the.ocean from bed! The housekeeping in general was needing attention. Walls needed to be washed. Glasses were not all clean. Stove area needed cleaning. Staff not overly friendly but helpful when asked. Everything is self serve. felt like it was run like a hostel. They have hair dryers that are shared and are to be returned as soon as you were done. Ocean was just across the street. Narrow beach but nice. Bus stopped at the end of the driveway and was very easy to take to downtown. Pool wouldn't be a place to hang out all day but could be a good place for a quick dip.

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank Xscape
Cat Island
Reviewed 4 March 2013

We stay here for a week and the staff treat you like family. My husband and I celebrated our 23 year anniversary with them and Yes will be going back again. The place has a very relaxing atmosphere and the ocean is right across the street and 7 minute from the airport. Which only cost you $10.00 for taxi. It is a Resturant on site the is open with your family in mind.

Room Tip: The back is very quiet
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nassau
Compass Point Beach Resort
British Colonial Hilton Nassau
Sandyport Beach Resort
Sandyport Beach Resort
#2 of 37 in Nassau

Been to Orange Hill Beach Inn? Share your experiences!