“ok but not worth the price at all”

Orange Hill Beach Inn
Ranked #19 of 36 Hotels in Nassau
Reviewed 25 March 2014

we chose this resort as it was recommended by West Jet, sadly it was not worth the cost we paid. The rooms were tidy but very dated, run down and drab. The shower was warm but not enough pressure to wash hair. the staff was friendly and the plus was the honor bar in a place where bar drinks are $$$. However it was not a 3 star when we moved to the Melia and paid 25% less for 100% more ammentities, service and style.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 24 March 2014

My family of 3 stayed here for 1 night before leaving Nassau. This property is in a very pretty stretch of beach front Nassau and near the airport. The Inn sits on a hill, is nicely landscaped and has a good restaurant with a a varied menu at good prices. We stayed on the other side of Nassau at the start of our trip which was fine (if you are a birder you want to check it out as there are more native birds on the far side of town, especially at the National Trust Garden on Village Road), this area is more upscale. The proprietors are super nice and accommodating and the pool is lovely. Not touristy, a slice of Bahamas beauty at a good value!

Room Tip: Many different buildings to choose from, the layout is nice
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank mlnp
Reviewed 13 March 2014

If I could have stayed here for a month, I would have done so. It is not a resort like Atlantis, for which I was grateful. If you want Atlantis or something like it, don't come here. If you like family run hotels that are clean and quiet, with a lovely pool and beautifully landscaped grounds, by all means, this is the place for you. There is a nice beach across the street. Most if not all rooms have balconies, some overlooking the ocean and some the pool. There are several lovely cottages with large porches overlooking the ocean.The buses run fairly regularly to take you into downtown Nassau should you wish to ever go. Every day at 10:30, the staff goes to the grocery store in a van, and you are welcome to ride along for free and do your shopping, as your room will likely have a kitchenette. Birds abound, as do flowers. The food is delicious and inexpensive as the Bahamas goes. If you want to go to dive or to sail or any one of a hundred things, they can arrange the excursion for you. They were friendly and helpful in all areas. If only I were home now and had the means to process my photos, I would upload some pics of this lovely orange concrete complex with its gardens. Don't take the lack of pics to mean it is anything less than lovely. A stay here is like the old Bahamas, before it became a banking and American tourist mecca. If you want to come to a lovely Caribbean Island, and have a peaceful stay at a lovely tranquil place instead of an all inclusive resort where you will only meet other Americans, then come here. You won't be disappointed. If you want gleaming marble or high rises like Miami Beach, or a large all inclusive resort, this is not the place for you, but that does not diminish the wonderfulness of this place - it is simply a matter of what you are looking for.

Room Tip: I prefer to look over the ocean, so if you want that request it when you make your booking. All room...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
4  Thank DcMbb
Reviewed 9 March 2014 via mobile

I was a bit hesitant about the Orange Hill Inn as I had seen many negative reviews. I personally enjoyed it though and plan to go back!
The staff were friendly and made sure I got to my room. The breakfast was wonderful. The ocean was amazing. And the pool looked great! I was only there for one night as it my layover to go to another Bahamian island, so I didn't get to soak it up too much.
The honour bar was very interesting set up and you can catch the jitney (bus) on the road outside into town.
I wish there had been more pillows, but I was solo so that was ok. You just bring your own shower pieces (shampoo/conditioner).
This was definitely a nice and friendly place.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
4  Thank Ooh-de-Lally-91
Reviewed 25 February 2014

My rating of 'poor' for this hotel is perhaps a bit harsh. If there was a 'below average' rating for 2.5 stars, I would've given it that. And in an expensive country like the Bahamas, I am realistic that the $125/night I paid is only going to get you so far, but this place had too many frustrating flaws that couldn't be ignored.
Firstly the pros. Very nice location - directly opposite a secluded and quiet beach, and only a $12 taxi ride from the airport. The grounds of the hotel itself were nice - spacious with lots of greenery. The no.10 bus to downtown Nassau goes directly past the front of the hotel - costs $1.50 and takes less than half an hour. The restaurant was good and there was a nice bar/lounge area. Staff were generally friendly and efficient, although they did forget to tell me that my luggage had arrived in reception (it was delivered late by the airline having failed to make it to a connecting flight)
Now, the cons, which were primarily in the room. The kitchen was poorly equipped - I had planned to do some self-catering but it would've taken a miracle to cook a decent meal with the utensils that were available. The TV only had five channels - I appreciate that most people don't come to the Bahamas to watch TV but I was there alone on business so it would've been nice to have something more than just CNN and TNT in the evening. The WiFi connection regularly disconnected. I know internet connections are never perfect in the Caribbean but here it was terrible. On my final night the connection disappeared at 9pm and still hadn't returned by the time I checked out at midday the next day. (Although there was a separate connection available in reception that was fine). And in the pool area, only three or four of the deck chairs actually had cushions.
This hotel certainly wasn't unpleasant and having never stayed anywhere else in the Bahamas, I have no point of comparison as to what else you could get for $125/night. Perhaps it represents very good value, but I can only report the place based on my experience there.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
4  Thank 308Saint_John
Reviewed 4 February 2014

We visited Orange Hill Beach Inn again enroute to Crooked Island, Bahamas. It is quaint and close to the airport which is very convenient for an early flight out. It still has the same honor bar set-up and the food was quite good. We had an upgraded room (larger with kitchen) due to having the reservation and the hotel being almost full. Unless you need the kitchen, I don't recommend it because it was on the corner at the walkway and everyone must go by going in or out. The windows are, of course, open. The room I had two years ago overlooking the pool was much quieter. Still, it is run by a very nice, efficient bunch of folks. I understand that they are, for the most part, family.

Room Tip: A regular room overlooking the pool is quieter.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank JohnB57Jonesboro
Reviewed 27 January 2014

I love this place. I was so glad to find it. It exceeded my expectations. Right across from the beach. Off the beaten path so you have a lovely beach that isn't too crowded. Friendly people. Convenient restaurant on site. Bus service nearby to go to stores and the busier areas. I loved it here and prefer it to the tourist stretch.

It is simple but terrific. Lovely garden. Simple clean rooms!

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo
4  Thank SedonaRedRocky
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nassau
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Nassau
Towne Hotel
#20 of 36 in Nassau
7 mi away
British Colonial Hilton Nassau

Been to Orange Hill Beach Inn? Share your experiences!