“Very Nice People”

Ranked #18 of 37 Hotels in Nassau
Iowa
“Very Nice People”
Reviewed 21 August 2014

This is a quaint place; I felt like I was in a novel. The people who manage Orange Hill are wonderful characters. It’s a bit run down but charming. We had a room with one queen and two twin beds which worked well for us and is not easy to find. It's not fancy; we had maybe 2 towels, but we didn't see any bugs in the bathroom. The pool is clean and felt great. The beach is close. The ‘honor’ bar was a riot. We enjoyed meeting other travelers there. We had dinner as well as the self serve breakfast in the dining room. The decor is cozy; possibly obtained at flea markets. We chose Orange Hill because of the price and location to the airport and we would definitely choose it again.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank IowaTravelers13

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
San Francisco
Reviewed 20 August 2014

Had a layover in Nassau en route to family islands and was very happy with Orange Hill Beach Inn:
VERY close to airport (10 minute ride, $15 each way including tip);
VERY friendly, welcoming, helpful. You know how some hotels are beautiful but bad service can ruin your stay? at this hotel the service makes you glad you came. Front desk, bell hop, night manager, cook, driver... everybody really trying to make your stay better. The bar is on an honor system for drinks - that shows you what kind of family atmosphere there is!
VERY nice and clean: room, bathroom, kitchen (big full kitchen with my room! bigger than my kitchen at home!), swimming pool (I am very picky about hotel pools: this one was sparkling clean, delightful), restaurant.
If you wanted to go to the beach, which I didn't have time for, it's right across the street.
They say there is a gourmet grocery store within walking distance, in case you want to stock your (full size) refrigerator or do your own BBQ in the big grill area; didn't have time to check that out. Only caution, the kitchen doesn't have much in the way of dishes/pots/pans, maybe they could lend you more if you needed them.
Very satisfied!

Room Tip: Tell them what you prefer - near pool, upstairs or downstairs, etc - they will try to match you.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank lroden
Iowa City, Iowa
Reviewed 18 August 2014

I stayed here with my family before moving into a villa we had rented. This hotel is quite close to the airport and across the street from a beach. The accommodations are plain and a bit dated but the price is very low. I thought the staff was quite friendly and welcoming. Orange Hill strikes me as an authentic Bahamian kind of hotel as many of our fellow guests were from the islands. The rooms are functional and we spent most of our time in the honor bar that was a charming place to have a drink after a long travel day. We had both dinner and breakfast here. The food was good (Grouper for dinner-excellent). In my view, Orange Hill beach is an outstanding place for a short stay on Nassau and delivers a high value for the money.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank Scott319
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 2 August 2014

My husband and I recently stayed at Orange Hill with our family and friends while we were in Nassau for our wedding. There were about 24 of us all staying here together and we all had a wonderful time. The office staff were all very accommodating of the needs of our group, setting up larger tables so we could eat together, when we needed extra ironing boards they went out and bought an extra one to make sure there were enough, and were always available to answer any questions we had. The pool and the grounds were clean, the buildings could use a little face-lift, but the wear and tear is fairly typical for a hot sunny place, and everything is still functional. The restaurant is low key, not a 'sit down for a romantic meal' kind of place, but works very well when looking for a relaxed meal between snorkeling or exploring the island. The beach across the street is the true gem of this hotel. The beach was never packed, no more than 5 or 6 other people around at one time. The sand is nice, and there is snorkeling right off the beach. We felt like we had the whole beach to ourselves the whole time.
The only complaints I have are 1) before arriving they were not very good about answering e-mails. of about 5 e-mails I sent, only one was answered. Otherwise I had to call whenever I needed some information. And 2) the walls are a bit thin, and one night we had to ask our neighbors to keep it down. I know others in our group had the same problem.

Over all we all had a fantastic time, and all of us would certainly stay here again if we return to Nassau. If your looking for a small, non-touristy hotel outside of the fast paced city center of Nassau, and are looking to spend time on a quiet beach, I highly recommend Orange Hill.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank zeubeegirl5
Illinois
Reviewed 26 July 2014

One great thing about the Islands of the Bahamas is that there is a "flavor of tea" to match anyone's preferences and needs. That being said, this hotel was not my "cup of tea". I was there for one evening, just for an overnight stay while on business. But please do NOT get me wrong, this hotel is not without its amazing charm!

As much as this was not for me, I met another American couple at dinner who could not be more happy! The price is right, the food is great, there are no frills, its a real get away, etc. They came to dive and explore the wonders under the sea. Apparently, this is the place to stay if that is you! This couple captivated me and as a Marketer by nature (and job classification) I couldn't help but consider who this hotel is good for.

For the no frills, great value, this is a good place. The food was great (except the pineapple upside down desert). The rooms come with 3 beds, so its great for families or college groups who are on a budget...you can share a room and still get your own bed. You also get a refrigerator and microwave oven, which many of the expensive resorts do NOT provide. The bar (alcohol and non-alcohol) items are on the honor system... if you take something out of the refrigerator in the bar area, just put a check or x next to your room number. These "down home" places still exist...at least here.

Once I understood what "Fawlty Towers" was (for my American readers, try searching here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fawlty_Towers or check YouTube ), I then understood the positioning and theme of this Beach Inn. From my understanding...this inn is an example of the experiences on the Family Islands (Outer Islands) without leaving Nassau/New Providence.

This quaint hotel option is worth a consideration if you don't want the resort hustle and if you are coming to dive.... it can't be beat according to the visitors I bothered who were trying to eat. So I want to thank my fellow American visitors who were from Montgomery Alabama! I thank them for sharing their experience with me and I thank you for reading mine.

For great details about the island and its options, check out the website I found ...Bahamas.com and chose the Places to Stay link for accommodation options on any of the 16 major islands. I hope this helps! Don't forget to ask about the People-to-People program where you can be matched with a local ambassador from the Ministry of Tourism. It is free and you get GREAT details that others are paying for on the tours.

Happy Travels.

Room Tip: Ask about the circular bungalow options (not pool side LOL)
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
9 Thank DenaPhD
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 12 July 2014

Nice place with friendly staff. Is a little run down and tired but the rates are reasonable. Had a fabulous meal there - roast chicken was sensational. Honour bar was unusual but does create a relaxed atmosphere with people standing around having a chat. Very convenient distance to the airport and if you book the taxi through the hotel was only $12 which is unheard of in the Bahamas so was very pleased about that. Very quiet beaches around here, that are easy to get too which i prefer to the craziness of town. Is a great little stay if you don't mind that it is a little old.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Kelly B
Saint Paul, Minnesota
Reviewed 4 July 2014

We only stayed 1 night and stayed in C1 oceanfront suite with a kitchenette . The room had high ceilings very clean ,nice view. We enjoyed the beach and collected a lot of sea glass. Dinner was good and breakfast was Ok. The hotel is very tiered. The staff nice. For a budget traveler it would be easy to stay in our room no problem. I did not see the other rooms but building was v.old. Pool had no atmosphere.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank jakjara
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nassau
Compass Point Beach Resort
British Colonial Hilton Nassau
Sandyport Beach Resort
Sandyport Beach Resort
#3 of 37 in Nassau

Been to Orange Hill Beach Inn? Share your experiences!