“Bahamas in September”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of West Wind Club II

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Nassau
West Wind Club II
Ranked #11 of 37 Hotels in Nassau
Ohio
“Bahamas in September”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2013

Myself and a girl friend went to Nassau, Bahamas the last week of September. We intentionally stayed at Cable Beach, away from the hustle and bustle(and inflated prices)of Paradise Island. This was our 1st ever trip to the Bahamas and Caribbean in general. In short, we were very happy with our choice and the weather was excellent.

The beach was very nice as that and the ocean were highlights of the trip.
Even though the forecast was for 30% chance of rain every day, we only had 2 hours of rain for our entire 5 day stay. During the day it was 85-88 degrees, and about 70 at night. We stayed right on the beach and had a breeze the entire time which helped a lot during the day.

We rented a condo, The West Wind II right on the beach. We were very satisfied with it. The reviews online are pretty accurate so I wont go into too much detail on it. But excellent location, great beach, and good price. It is right next door to the Sheraton and Wyndam hotels. But it offers much more privacy and more of a vacation feel. The last thing I want to do on a beach vacation is take the elevator to the 15th floor and stay with a thousand other guests. There are only 54 units at West Wind, on 2 levels. We had unit #8 on the 2nd level which had a great view of ocean from living room and balcony. Has 2 pools and an outdoor bar/restaurant. Had a good breakfast there at a great price of $6. The bar was convenient to drink poolside. The inside was clean, but dated. Could use a fresh coat of paint. Kitchen is fully stocked and came in handy for lunches. Staff was friendly and helpful.
Seemed like all of the other guests were repeat guests while we were there. I would stay there again.

Cable Beach info: The Bahamas are expensive so here is some info on dining/shopping/getting around. The #10 Bus will take you everywhere except Paradise Island, only taxi's go there. The bus is $1.25. Taxi's are pretty much $15-20 to go anywhere including the airport or downtown Nassau.

There is a full grocery store on West Bay St at Cable beach. Yes the prices are more than back home. We just bought the necessities and some food for lunches. Making your own lunch did save money and TIME rather than going out every day. There are 2 liquor stores near this grocery store. The local Kalik beer is fantastic. And Curly's a local bar sold real Cuban Cohiba's. There's nothing better than smoking a cigar at night on the beach. Also there are local shops, restaurants and a couple American fast food joints all in this same area as the grocery store. All walking distance.

We had a great lunch at local Skyline Deli. They have sandwiches, salads and a few entrees. Good European meats, cheeses and olives also. The best dinner we had was at Compass Point, which is about a 15 minute taxi ride West. Great outdoor seating overlooking the ocean with a cool breeze. Amazing food, but fairly expensive ($87 dinner for 2 people and 4 beers) I recommend the Conch or Salmon. We went to the local Fish Fry area near downtown. It was kind of a seedy local area, but a good experience. We had fish at Twin Brothers. Good meal, $46 for 2 and 2 beers. We had a great breakfast buffet at the Sheraton. Very high quality food, but $25 a person.

The downtown area was a disappointment to me, and I am glad we didn't spend much time there. Same goes for Paradise Island. I would recommend the Blue Lagoon Island(Salt Cay)Day trip. It is a nice boat ride from Paradise Island to an exotic uninhabited island. Very good views from the boat of Nassau and paradise island.
Overall I was happy with my 1st visit to the Bahamas and would return.

Room Tip: Even # rooms are on 2nd level, great views of ocean
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
11 Thank mike p

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Jennings, Louisiana
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 September 2013

The location is great. Walking distance to restaurants, liquor stores, and grocery if you are a walker. Beach area is fantastic. The condos are small and outdated. I am glad we were just two because four of us would have been on top of each other. Staff was fantastic and the food at the snack bar was very good. The Monday night barbeque was a disappointment though. We were in the units closes to the road and away from the beach. Don't need a car because the buses will take you everywhere. Plus people drive like crazy and being on the wrong side of the road would be confusing. All in all though we had a great time and the resort served its purpose. They did call us spoiled when we mentioned the types of condos we are use to staying in. Don't expect luxury here and you will be ok.

Room Tip: If you are just sleeping it won't make a difference which units you stay in. If you are going t...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
WI
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 September 2013

I've been conflicted in how to approach this review. My family of 4 (2A, 2 kids aged 12 and 6) stayed here for a week through an RCI exchange, and we knew that it would not be a perfect resort. At the beginning of our stay, we may have given it a 2/5 rating. The two bedroom condo really was dated. While there had been some lipstick put on the pig, so to speak, it just did not feel all that clean, and there were so many things that could have easily been done to make it feel better. We were particularly blessed to be given a condo very near the beach which was so convenient with the kids.

However, the location was fantastic. We loved Cable Beach, and even enjoyed the snorkeling right out in front of the Sheraton. We visited the Daiquiri shack across the street regularly, and we also walked to other shops and restaurants in the are. The jitneys were fabulous for getting around and we felt no need to have a car.

The staff was friendly, and we had a lunch at the grill which was tasty and reasonable. We also did the Monday night BBQ, which may have been the worst meal ever. So overpriced, not well cooked, and the FLIES!. I would definitely skip that.

We also spent three nights at Atlantis, and admittedly, we missed the little condo at the end of that experience, so I would probably consider returning for the wonderful location and beach, and I'd probably give a 3.5 rating if I could, but I want to be realistic about the condition. We had a great stay, but we had to "get over" our condo unit a little.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank trirae
McHenry, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 September 2013

We just came back from our vacation in Nassau Bahamas at Westwind II. we had an excellent time overall, and would like to thank the ladies in the office for booking us in an upper villa with a most spectacular view. it was our 35th wedding anniversary, so it was very special to us. the customer service at this resort is excellent. the only thing i would suggest is to up the game as far as housekeeping goes, to go along with all the other great features of this place. the grill makes delicious and very affordable food, the bar drinks are great, the grounds and beach are beautiful. there is great snorkeling around the rocks off the beach, so much so that one of my fellow divers was filming all the great fish to be found. If you want great food at great prices, go to Montague Gardens. we found this gem 2 years ago when we vacationed here, and it hasn't lost a thing. a driver, Oscar, picks you up from your hotel and drives you to the restaurant, then drops you back off after dinner, at no charge. we had their seafood, steaks, and pasta dishes, and all were equally good. the wait staff are great, and the atmosphere (in an old bahamian mansion) is very charming. Oscar knows a lot of the history, and is quite knowledgeable about places to visit. thanks oscar! p.s. the mud pie is awesome!

Room Tip: we have stayed on the ocean side both times we were here, and were very happy with both the upper an...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Chris C
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2013

We took our three boys to the Bahamas at the end of July to celebrate the oldest's high school graduation, and we stayed at the Westwind Club II thanks to a rare RCI exchange with my brother-in-law's membership. I say "rare" because WCII almost never has availability for an exchange. It popped up one night six months and I grabbed it; I haven't seen a week available since. From other reviews here and from folks we met down there, it seems most people who own here go back again and again, rather than exchanging to go elsewhere. That says a lot.

As it was my kids' first international trip and first trip to a tropical destination, I requested an upper floor unit with views of the water, but not too close so that we could enjoy the balcony without the wind (thanks to the tips on here!). We knew the boys would love the loft bedroom, and they were able to fit a rollaway bed up there so all three could be together. It was tight with the rollaway, but they would have cluttered the floor with their clothes otherwise, so it forced them to be neater. ;-)

We were in unit 21, which was on the corner of the pool and close to the bar/cafe. We had a great view (see the pics) and it was quiet (the teens next to us cranked the TV one night at midnight, but a call to security took care of that). We had been told by the person I was emailing with that unit 21 was renovated, but it was not. As of August, none of the units with an ocean view have been renovated, only those farther back. I tried to glance in as we passed those units, but I saw the same furniture, so I'm not sure which ones were renovated and what was done.

We had some maintenance issues the first day or two, and a repair that one guy did actually made things worse...the tub faucet in the upstairs shower was leaking, and he didn't properly secure the replacement to the wall. Water came down the walls into the unit below us, and we could see it in our ceiling in the lower bathroom too (luckily, I heard it dripping!). They fixed it right away and no harm was done.

Despite the unit not being renovated, it was a nice space and while it was a bit snug for five, we enjoyed our stay. The beds were comfortable, although the frame for the queen in the main bedroom was kinda noisy when one of us moved. There's a good-sized safe in the bedroom that's wide enough to hold a 17" laptop. It held all of our electronics and valuables. The futon and chairs are at right angles to the TV, so that made viewing it a bit of a challenge. We were able to hook up our laptop to the TV to watch movies we'd brought. The kitchen was well-equipped, and the office had more items if needed (we saw one guest carrying cookware to his room). Everything worked well. The only real problem we had was tiny ants getting inside. This is the Caribbean, though, and that's very common. They leave ant spray for you and we made good use of it. Make sure you don't leave ANY food out and that you immediately wash or at least rinse dishes, utensils and glassware (there was no dishwasher, but you need to wash dishes daily anyway, since there's service for 6). We brought plenty of bag clips and Ziploc bags and kept most items in the fridge.

All of the locals seem to drink bottled water, and you can buy the big 5-gallon jug at the resort for $7 or at the grocery store a mile down the road for $4 (I don't recommend doing the latter until you're able to hop the bus or take a cab, but if you take the bus, you will still have to walk 100-200 yards with it when you get back to the resort). It was very hot when we were there, and we went through 3 or 4 5-gallon jugs.

The pools are both heated and the beach is great, very quiet. They have plenty of lounge chairs by the pool, along with some umbrellas, and more lounge chairs on an elevated area overlooking the beach. There are no chairs on the beach, though, but they have plenty next door at the Sheraton and you can wander over there and use their pool and hot tub as well. Be sure to bring goggles or swim masks...my boys swam out to the rocks that border the roped-off swimming area (there are jet skiiers beyond the rocks), and they saw brain coral, puffer fish, and even a sting ray. The sting ray later glided right by my 16-year-old in the shallows, but he was too quick for me to get a picture. So cool! Be sure to also bring an underwater camera bag to get pics; we got great ones during our water sport activities.

What else? The staff is hit or miss with the friendliness, but they are largely pretty helpful. They have a ping pong and pool table, but the ping pong balls often went missing and weren't in great shape. Bring a pack if you're determined to play. Two of us wanted to play tennis, but the only rackets available were in very bad shape. The pool table was great fun. They have books and games in the office that you can borrow for free. You need to get tokens from the office to do laundry, but if it's after hours, a security guard can get them for you (the dryers didn't work as well as the washers, so you may have to run things through twice. They're very big, though). They charge it to your room, along with food from the bar and the water jugs. You won't use cash at the resort for anything. They also have bathrooms with showers next to the bar, so if you want to swim on your last day before catching your flight, you can take a shower before you go.

The #10 Jitney bus is across the street from the Sheraton. It was $1.25 each way for adults and, something I didn't discover until after our first trip, $1.00 for kids 18 and under. Some had the AC on and others didn't, and they will pack you in, especially at rush hour. So try to avoid coming back from downtown at that time.

There is a grocery store about a mile walk to the right of the resort, along with several restaurants. We loved Wok n Roll and Milano's. Domino's and Sbarro's are there too if you need a taste of home. The Daq Shack across the street has $6 daquiris made with fresh fruit. There's a mini straw market there with pretty persistent vendors, but we got some great deals (if you want a Bahamas, dolphin or pirate picture frame, buy it there before you come home, because you can't find them in the U.S.!)

I'd strongly recommend bringing food with you to cut down on grocery costs. We packed a cooler full of easy-to-prepare frozen foods (homemade spaghetti sauce, breaded chicken patties, ham steaks, deli meats, bacon, sausages, waffles, syrup, bread, cheese, butter, etc. We also packed dry goods into our carry-ons: peanut butter, granola bars, coffee, pasta, cereal, microwave popcorn, etc. Send me a private message if you'd like the full list! It was so great to come back to the room after a long day of running around, and just make a quick, easy dinner that we could eat outside if the boys were still swimming. We capped off every night with a pool or ping pong game, and some nights, the boys swam until 9 or 10 pm.

If you want to stay on Cable Beach, I would definitely recommend the Westwind Club II. We really enjoyed our week there; my boys had the time of their lives on the island and we loved that there was both a beach and pool right there for them to enjoy while we relaxed in the villa. There is excellent security and we felt comfortable enough leaving them alone in the villa with Domino's (ages 12-18) while we walked down the street to have a quiet dinner for our anniversary. We never worried about a thing. It's a very relaxing place to be. No one bothered us about a timeshare presentation, and most guests pretty much kept to themselves. The only drawback about being in Cable Beach is that it is expensive to take a cab to and from Paradise Island. We never did so, and only went there as part of an excursion to Blue Lagoon Island. If you do an early enough excursion, you can go back to Paradise Island in time to explore there a bit before taking the last shuttle back (you prepay, so decide before you go). Or you can take the shuttle one way and then take a cab back. No buses go over to PI, a big bummer. We didn't explore it because the cab fare would have been pretty high for 5 people. If we return to the island, we'll likely stay on PI so we can better explore that side.

Hope this helps. PM me if you have any questions! I've uploaded some low-res pics of the views!

Room Tip: The upstairs villas have lofts for the second bedroom. The ocean view rooms (by the front pool) are...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
5 Thank lilheathen
Bound Brook, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2013

We travel here every year and every year it's like coming home to family. We love the location and the friendly service. Very family oriented. The villas are a good size with a fully equipped kitchen. The casino is next door and shopping is just a short walk or jitney ride away.

Room Tip: Upstairs villas have a better view of the ocean
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
6 Thank janicehunter
toronto
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2013

We stayed next door at the Sheraton but after discovering the restaurant here, we walked over most days. On Tuesday and Thursday, they have cracked conch or grouper, peas and rice and coleslaw. Great price. Lovely, the cook even made my hubby his favourite Bahamian breakfast a few mornings.....nice touch.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank TorontoBahamagirl
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nassau
Compass Point Beach Resort
Sandyport Beach Resort
#3 of 37 in Nassau
Sandals Royal Bahamian Spa Resort & Offshore Island
Breezes Resort & Spa Bahamas

Been to West Wind Club II? Share your experiences!