“Great service, great location, adequate amenities”
Review of Nassau Palm Hotel

and 1 more site!
Nassau Palm Hotel
Ranked #27 of 37 Hotels in Nassau
Reviewed 2 March 2009

This hotel is perfect for the budget traveler who wants instant access to the beach and downtown. The hotel room itself is nothing exceptional, but is perfect if you're looking for a convenient place to stay without spending too much money.

As for the hotel itself, the service is excellent. The front desk reception and manager (Irene) really care about the hotel and resolve any issues immediately. They work hard to meet all your needs and make you feel welcome. Perry (the porter and greeter) is very friendly and always offers a warm hello as you're passing through the lobby. The cleaning staff do a great job keeping the rooms clean. The rooms are adequate--everything is clean, but the carpeting is extremely dirty. I didn't want to go barefoot in the room. An important note about SECURITY: be sure to use the safe, and be sure to make sure the door is COMPLETELY locked when you leave. The locks are magnetic, and when we first left our room, we closed it firmly, but I was able to push the door open without using the key just by giving a few hard pushes on the door. You can avoid this by slamming it closed extremely hard and by double-checking before you go. The hotel knows about this and a security guard goes around to all the rooms and tries to push them open during the day (I was surprised by my door flying open one afternoon while I was in the room). If he finds the door open, he supposedly closes it properly for you. Another complaint is the central air conditioner in the courtyard--it makes a lot of noise, so you'll hear it the whole time you're in your room (and sadly, you won't hear the waves on the beach over this noise). The continental breakfast is nice- muffins, pastries, toast, cereal, fresh fruit, porridge, and sometimes grits and corn beef. We usually went first thing at 7am, but one day noticed more variety later on around 9am. Aside from the dirty carpets, the security issue, and the noisy central air, everything else was great at this hotel, and for the price we paid, I would stay here again.

The Western Esplanade beach is directly across the street and is ideal for swimming, snorkeling and sunbathing. There are bright, exotic fish swimming around the end of the piers and along the beach. You can bring a pair of goggles or rent snorkeling equipment from the public beach stand. You can also rent chairs and buy drinks if the stand is open (no hours posted and it opens and closes at random). Watch your step on the beach, as there are bits of broken glass in some areas. Aside from that, the beach is perfect for sunbathing--plenty of sand, palms, turquoise water, and an amazing view of the incoming cruise ships. You can see the Atlantis in the distance when there are no cruise ships at port. There is also public access to the beach at the British Colonial Hilton 3 minutes away (through the courtyard).

You're a 5 minute walk from downtown (where everything closes at 6pm). There are plenty of affordable restaurants between the hotel and downtown (Imperial, McDonald's, Sbarro). There are 2 internet cafes between the hotel and downtown, which are much cheaper than the internet at the hotel.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tyler T

Reviewed 2 March 2009

if you are looking for somewhere basic and good location , this was perfect, rooms are pretty crap with old carpet and dodgey wall paper, but the bed was clean and the shower worked fine,
after all i wasnt planning on spending much time in the hotel, the location is great , opposite the beach and a short walk to taxi boats for paradise island ( amazing), try and go to the fish fry on wkds ,its about 10 min walk from the hotel , food is great and people are friendly,
if you are looking for glitz and glamour DO NOT stop here, its a great place to crash with pool and thats it, i wanted to do bahamas on a budget and i did with nassau palm

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 February 2009

We stayed here 2 seperate nights ( a departure and arruival between flights)because we were catching a boat out the next day and needed a place to sleepand didn't wantto sspend a lot of money. There are definately nicer places to stay.We were treated very good by the staff. The lobby is clean and pleasant. The exterior corridors to the room could be kept cleaner. The rooms had carpeting which has to go,I have bever seen a tropical hotel with carpet,,They need to tile.The bathrooms were nicely redone and tiled, hopefully they will get to the floor in the rooms soon. The carpeting was dirty and stained.You an see that they are trying to make improvements in renovating. The breakfast was a dissapointment.The first morning thet did not even have coffee ready. There was only one other couple, felt like we had the place to ourselves. The 2nd night a week later the next morning it was packed. I was very upset that all of the cups for coffee had chips in them. No hot food except grits. The pool was clean, but toocold to get into. The hot tub was aslo cold, I did not even bother to complain because we were not staying.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 February 2009

An OK hotel. It was the cheapest I found when I was booking my stay. I stayed for 4 days. Staff was friendly. Expensive internet, but I found a cheap internet cafe just down the street. As for safety, it is a good idea to use the safe in the room. The hotel has an unwatched backdoor that was usually open. I didn't like that.

During my stay i didn't use the pool, as it had plastic garbage floating in it and was not cleaned.

I would reccommend this hotel to budget-travellers, but there are probably nicer alternatives around Nassau.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled solo
1  Thank Rijnswand
Reviewed 25 January 2009

I was due to stay here for a month but after 10 days the wee niggly things that I thought I could live with just ended up annoying me to the point that I found another place.

The room itself was a decent size and had a large glass door overlooking the central courtyard. The main airconditioning unit for the hotel was in the same courtyard so it meant that you could hear a constant whirring noise if you chose to leave the door open.

My room smelled a bit like a wet dog, I think at some point it had got flooded and it damaged the carpet. It wasnt too noticable at first but after a while it got on my nerves and it wasnt pleasant to stay in the room.

Breakfast was interesting purely because you never knew what you were going to get. Some days the selection was pretty wide (fruit, Grits, cereal, pancakes, various muffins & danish pastries) while other days it seemed like they forgot to go shopping the night before.

This used to be a Holiday Inn (locals still refer to it as such) but since its changed hands clearly nothing has been done and its fixtures and fittings are really starting to show their age. I dont understand why hotel owners find it so hard to give their places a lick of paint every now and then - it would make such a difference to this place.

The rooms had everything you needed, airconditioning, fridge, alarm clock, TV, Ironing board, Iron, Coffee machine which was pretty good considering the price ($142.04 pn) in the Bahamas.

One thing to watch if you are staying in any hotel in the Bahamas is the additional charges that are added on (various taxes). Make sure the price is the total.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank Scott_Grant
Reviewed 21 January 2009

I have been to Nassau quite a few times and I have always stayed at the way overpriced Sheraton but this time I was on a budget and decided to go with Priceline.com and stay at Nassau Palm. When I booked through them my whole stay PLUS my round trip ticket was about the same as 1 night in the Sheraton. The Nassau Palm had some terrible reviews but when I got there I was pleasantly surprised!!! The staff was nice. the room was clean and neat...no wholes in the sheets or curtains like some others said. Of course it was not the Sheraton but WHO SITS IN THE ROOM FOR THEIR ENTIRE STAY IN THE BAHAMAS?? I had friends in Nassau so I was barely in my room anyway. I ate home cooked food so I didn't get a chance to complain about that. However I did have a little problem but I did not want to kill anybody. While taking a shower the shower head popped off but I just screwed it back on...there was reason to throw a fit or ask for my money back. What really made me soooooooo happy at the hotel was I needed to make a call back to my bank in the States...a 1800 number and they let me use the front desk phone!!! That made me smile. I would go back there even if I can not get a rate through Priceline.com. I really enjoyed myself.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled with family
2  Thank nahyeera_1
Reviewed 12 January 2009

I travel to Nassau a lot! I pretty much call Nassau my second home, and thought I would try something different for a change and stay at the Nassau Palm Resort. Yes the location of hotel is very convienant and SOME of the staff are friendly but other than that my experience there was unforgettable in a bad way! The continental breakfast in the morning will make you throw up the only thing I ate was the fruit salad because everything else was literally repulsing. Then one night a fire set out on my side of the building I had to call down to the front desk to even let them know the fire alarm was going off. They then said they would call me back. I called back 3 times until i got an answer at the front desk and at this point smoke had filled the hallways and the power had gone out. They then told me to get out of the room. How am i supposed to leave my room when i am trapped and the hallways are totally smoked, and I cannot see anything to even to try to make my way to a staircase as i was staying on the top floor. I quickly packed all my items and threw my suitcase over the balcony side and waited for somebody to come and rescue my friend and I. Luckily someone off the street heard us screaming and ran up and helped us out of the building. I will never forget that, what an experience and for 2 days after that cable was not working . Then I began to get really mad because at this point the staff should have atleast given my stay there for free with all these negative things going on. But no only One night free and a new suitcase bag as mine was in two peices after having to throw it over board. So trust me when I say this take your business elsewhere. QUALITY INN is right next door, check it out!

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled solo