“It is Better in the Bahamas”
Review of Nassau Palm Hotel

Nassau Palm Hotel
Ranked #25 of 36 Hotels in Nassau
Reviewed 19 July 2010

My Husband and I have stayed at the Nassau Palm Resort.In addition to the convenience of the hotel to the island's varied cultural and scenic venues (walking distance to the Fish Fry (Arawak Cay)--seaside restaurants serving the local cuisine, the Botanic Gardens, and downtown Nassau, the staff is also exceptionally warm and helpful.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 15 July 2010

Visiting the Bahamas had always been an activity that my husband and I always dreamt of doing. We arrived on Thursday July 8 and were lucky to get an early check –in. Upon arriving at the hotel we were already disappointed by the condition of the building and the lobby. We decided that we were not going to judge a book by the cover.
After taking a filthy elevator to the fifth floor we got to our room. The carpet was dirty and the room smelt horrible. We had to get air fresher. The curtains had holes and the bathroom walls were black. We had an opened soap bar in the bathroom (Guess they are on a contingency plan… last guest did not use it so lets save it for the next guest). Again we were determined to have fun so we decided not to complain to the “so called” front desk.
We were out of towels and had call for housekeeping to bring some up. Two days before we left I called the front desk so they could make a reservation at a nearby restaurant. I was told that by the front desk agent that he could not make it so he would call the restaurant and transfer the call to the room so I could make my reservation.
The outlets were not working nor was the iron. The ironing board was filthy dirty. We had to use one outlet. The last morning before leaving we decided that we wanted to have breakfast in bed. (Keep dreaming) There is a room service menu but when I called place an order I was told that this service was not available and the restaurant that used to provide that service is closed. Wow!!! Were we supposed to know that? The information on the wed site is misleading and the photos are photo shopped Big time!!!!!
We also reserved two welcome cocktail but never received them. There is no security at the hotel. People who are not guests’ com in and park in the TEN care Garage and guests are left with no parking. All of the positive things that I experience were away from Nassau Palm Hotel. I will not even suggest this hotel to people I don’t like.
DO NOT STAY AT NASSAU PALM HOTEL. PAY A FEW EXTRA BUCKS AND STAY ELSEWHERE!!!!

4  Thank Lushee
Reviewed 10 July 2010

Having read the negative reviews I was prepared for the worst, including transfer elsewhere. But from my check-in I found this to be a fine hotel and a superb bargain. It is conveniently located midway between the heart of downtown Nassau and Arawak Cay, and the walk is easy--½ mile either way. Dangerous? Come on--the drivers actually will stop to let you cross the street (that's Bahamian courtesy; you won't find that where I live, New York City). We saw not a single roach or any other kind of insect or bug; the room was clean and the view lovely; the staff courteous and helpful and friendly; the pools had bath-temperature waters, not icy cold; the gym was fine, with two state-of-the-art treadmills, a fine multistation resistance unit, and a rack of (heavy!) dumbbells; and the suggestion that the people we ran into around the hotel are homeless or "bums" is simply insulting. The clientele for this place are genuine Caribbean peoples and various internationals, who know a value when they find it (and would rather explore the island and the city on their own than be hauled around and "entertained." In sum, just as I was embarrassed at the rude behavior of other Americans during my stay, I am shocked to re-read the whining reviews. If you want to be pampered and spend your holiday with other pampered Americans, go spend your dineros on Cable Beach; but if you want a taste of the cordial, authentic Nassau, come to the Nassau Palm.

1  Thank peregrinus777
Reviewed 6 July 2010

This hotel was the worse experience that I have ever had in my life. For starters, I arrived at the hotel—and by the way (HO-TEL) (partial homeless shelter) at 9:30 a.m. I was not able to take possession of the room until after 4:30 p.m. This was a trap—while you are in the lobby waiting; they offer you a roundtrip around town and free lunch—ok fine nothing else to do anyway. I immediately questioned “is this for some time share event”? I was told no—ok fine. I get in this dirty no air conditioned van and the tour starts. After about 10 minutes, I arrive at the Comfort Inn hotel. Let me add, prior to getting in the van, you must show a valid CC without the [debit] logo on it. If you don’t have that card correct, you can not go. Ok once in there you are greeted by people selling time shares. They try to drill you to death—If one sales person can’t get through to you they send another and then another. This SSS went on from 11:00 a.m. until 3:30 p.m. If you don’t buy you are told “I don’t know if they told you, but the trip is just one way”. I told them if they don’t send me back the way I came I will immediately contact the embassy as I was armed with this information. One young couple did not return to the hotel until after 6:p.m. Anyway, The girl scooted around the place to scrape up cab fare for my return to the hotel. Another couple gave up and took a city bus as they were somewhat aware of the area.

The only good thing about this is that the gift certificate for 100.00—you will get it. You must however spend it at select locations. One being across the street and a couple of feet up the road.

I get back to the hotel after 4:00 p.m., and the room was still not ready. Eventually when I got in the room after bending over backwards to be nice to the clerk with an attitude—the room was horrible. Clean but horrible. The tub needed glazing, the cheap rugs on the floors were stained terribly, very nasty and dirty, the beige cover on the bed had a dried roach on it. After I returned from an outing the bed was made, fine. But, it had two big stains on the sheets.
The hallways are dirty with cock roaches and I mean big ones. I came in meeting roaches and left with the roaches (only larger) waving later. If you have ever been in a NYC shelter this is what this place looks like as I work through the system in a capacity. The hallway walls doors were filthy.

I met two families who were attacked by bedbugs. One had to have a room change in the wee hours of the morning because they were all over the bed.

The continental breakfast was more than anticipated. The one guy who works all day and night is very nasty attitude—probably over worked. There is no entertainment. The bar is hardly ever open, the drinks in a plastic cup are 7.00. Let me also add, when your change is returned-you are given Bahamas bills in between regular bills in the hopes that you won’t notice it.

DO NOT USE THE PHONE CARD THAT YOU BUY FROM THAT HOTEL! This is a rip-off—they do not work! The phones in the room come with a very high charge even if you use the phone card with them. The cab fare is 30.00 from the hotel to the airport or visa versa. Some of the people who reside in the hotel are nice if you land upon one and will take you for a cheap rate. That is up to the individual and at your decresion.

The beach has bums hanging all over the place collecting bottles from the trash. The sand has so many pebbles and grains that you can not walk bare foot.

There are no near by restaurants. The Twin Brothers and the vicinity restaurants are equlivent to walking about six NYC street t blocks. The straw market is about 12-15 blocks. Most of the times you are walking in the streets as there is not much side walk. A police officer told me a different and safer route, but that way really had no side walks it was all street.

The meals served at dinner time are carelessly brought from the back if you purchase. And anyone can serve you there. The mats on the dinning tables are wood or straw and are just wiped off. In this case who knows how much germs are breeding in between the groves.

Over all, this place needs to be closed down. I can not understand anyone giving this place a good review. The place is dirty from the time you walk in the front door The rooms were clean but...

2  Thank Ladyzion
Reviewed 9 June 2010

The advertised rate would have been okay but with over $20 per night per person in additional hidden levies (energy, maid and resort!) you may as well stay at the British Hilton just around the comrner with a private beach and have a much better vacation, with no hidden fees (I checked).

We were so pissed off by the fees we went to the Ministry of Tourism office near the pink Parliament buildings and complained. The people there we not amused either and convinced the hotel to come clean. After much arm twisting, the hotel management took one night of our stay.

Reviewed 31 May 2010

We wanted to give it a shot, since the pictures seemed nice...but they must be from 30 years ago. The location by the beach was OK, except that the beach isn't very well kept in that area, and you don't feel particularly safe in that area. Will not return.

2  Thank juniorsluckyone
Reviewed 27 May 2010

While the decor is a little tired in places, this is more than made up for by a very friendly and helpful staff who really demonstrate their tag line "Here to help". The complimentary breakfast is the best I have had in medium budget hotels across the US, Caribbean and Europe.

1  Thank dl15man