“Not For Everyone”

Ranked #4 of 14 Nassau B&B and Inns
Dillon, Colorado
“Not For Everyone”
Reviewed 12 May 2013

This place is not for everyone. It’s old and run down and the cleanliness is lacking, but it’s inexpensive and within walking distance of down town. I paid $80 for my one night stay. The proprietors Ann and Lloyd, are very sweet. Ann replied to my emails promptly and Lloyd was very pleasant and helpful. It cost $28 for a taxi ride from the airport and they knew where it was at. I was worried about the reservation as they never took my credit card as a deposit. But Lloyd was expecting me and I checked in about 9pm.
I stayed in the Exuma Pad, which had two beds (Queen/Twin), kitchenette, small dining table, shower (no tub), and. The AC cooled down the room within a half hour, but it never reached the bathroom area. The fridge in the kitchen was cold and I didn’t use the kitchen other than the fridge. One of the ceiling tiles in the main area had water damage looked as though it could fall.

Pro’s:
AC worked
Free WiFi, but only in the guest lounge area
I didn't see any bugs or reminisces of bugs in the room.
The bed was Okay and sheets were clean.
They do take credit cards, but give a discount if you pay in cash.
A restaurant, The Bahamian Grill, several doors down has excellent BBQ, and open late.
About a 20 minute walk (1.25 miles/2.15 Kilometers) to downtown, walking by the fish fry and Junkanoo beach.

Con’s:
The cleanliness of the bathroom was in question. There were whiskers on the sink and it didn’t look as though it had been cleaned in a while.
The shower just had a trickle of water coming out of it. And I mean a trickle.
The TV didn’t work, and the remote control’s batteries were dead.
The patio area that is shaded was old and really needed a deep clean. The chairs were a little dirty and hadn’t been wiped down in a while.
Many broken cars in the large lot, besides the Rolls.
There were several blankets on a rack in the bathroom, but had flakes of peeling paint all over them. I don’t think they had been cleaned in a very long time and would never use them.

I was there only one night. Would I stay again? Well the price was right, but there are too many other islands to visit in the world and not enough time. This inn must have been a gem in it's day and is still quaint. If you can tolerate lower quality standards, this is not a bad place or location for the price.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Windsor, Canada
Reviewed 17 February 2013

This Inn is old but serviceable.
The room had 2 beds; the single one's springs were gone and there were hairs on the sheets, the double bed was firm and seemed to be clean.
Over all it looks shabby and dirty and I was glad I stayed there for 1 night only and would not go back there.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank marijke w

Travellers are raving about these Nassau hotels

Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 28 January 2013

Usually spend time in Nassau with spouse's relatives and this time not possible. Looked for a reasonable, clean, convenient place and this was the cheapest overall. Couldn't tell much from the internet photos, so took a chance. Turned out to be a very good place for the amount of money. The room was shabby chic, and fairly clean. The kitchenette was sufficient, and the bathroom served the purpose. The TV worked and the bed was ok and very clean. The towels were fresh daily and quite big & thirsty. The outside areas were clean, pleasant and tropical. The location was good with quick access to the Arawak Key Fish Fry. Mr. Lloyd was personable although his dog was a little off-putting but did not stay outside much. There is NO pool nor fitness center. The little beach across the road is quite scenic but not a good swim.

Room Tip: ask for the beds you need as each room has different accomodations.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
Torquay, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 November 2012

I stayed with Ann and Lloyd Gay at the Arawak Inn in 2000 and am hoping to return again next year after some time spent in Europe, however I miss the beautiful colours of Caribbean Blue and the hospitality and sheer joie-de-vivre of the Bahamian people. We experienced real Bahamian life and I will never forget the welcome we received from the local people, not only in their street party but being served by the beautiful little people in the shacks next to the quay. Must try Conch salad again and of course Bahama Mama!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
South Florida, Florida
Reviewed 24 November 2012

My husband and I were in Nassau for two days on a bureaucratic mission. Our preferred form of accommodation is definitely not the big resort type and so we went for the low-budget Arawak Inn, located on the edge of downtown. It's actually only a 5-minute drive from the centre of town.

The inn has fewer than 10 rooms. Our room had one double bed, one single bed, a little kitchenette and a bathroom. It was not brand new but it was in decent condition. Likewise, it wasn't eat-off-the-floor clean, but neither was it dirty. Service was very good and friendly, check-in and check-out was simple and you can't beat the price.

If you aren't looking to spend a long time in Nassau and you don't want the big anonymous resort feel, consider the Arawak Inn.

Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank globetrotter42France
Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed 5 October 2012

As an American who travels frequently I am used to the more crisp and clean appearance of at hotel 6 or even a Hilton. The Arawak Inn is not that and that's one of the reasons I GO BACK...three times in fact. Yes the water has a sulfur smell whatever its and island and the road is just feet from your door, but if peace and quiet is what you want go to Atlantis for 400$ a night. This is a locals spot for the visitors. I lived in the Bahamas for a few months in my twenties and every time I go back to visit I fly to Nassau stay here and then fly on to Staniel or Eluthera and come back before my flight back to the states. Also the taxi's in the area are extremely punctual even at 4 am.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
Key West, Florida
Reviewed 24 April 2012

I made reservations here about 6 weeks before arrival and then re-confirmed then 2 weeks before arrival. We were staying 2 days before and 1 day after our cruise on the Liberty Clipper (which is AMAZING!). When we arrived the 1st night, we were told that they were full and that we did not have a reservation. The man then did some checking and told us that, because we did not show up on our first night they cancelled our stay. THIS WAS OUR FIRST NIGHT! He did find us a "nicer place" around the corner. It had the look and feel of a crack house. One bed, a TV that was snowy and no shower curtain. If this is what the guy at the Awawak said is better, WOW! We stayed one night and moved to the Towne Hotel, which is great!
Would not recommend at all. I still have the emails from Ann at the Inn to back all of this up!

Room Tip: Go somewhere else!!!!
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank wc901
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nassau
Towne Hotel
Graycliff Hotel
Graycliff Hotel
#8 of 37 in Nassau
Atlantis, Royal Towers, Autograph Collection

Been to Arawak Inn? Share your experiences!