“great place with all the basics”
Review of Towne Hotel

Towne Hotel
Ranked #20 of 37 Hotels in Nassau
ottawa
“great place with all the basics”
Reviewed 9 August 2009

After reading the reviews, we were pleasantly suprised. The hotel has a real Caribbean charm to it. Definitely not 5-star, but had all the amenities (fridge, a/c, tv with cable, wifi in lobby as well as 2 computer terminals, simple breakfast, and a parrot!) and the staff was very kind and helpful. It is in a great location with plenty of restaurants around and in the heart of things; it was easy to get to Paradise Island and easy to get to Cable Beach. We stayed from Monday to Thursday, so we didn't experience the loud night club noise as some other guests have written about. The only downside for us was that the rooms were on the dirty side, and there were these tiny ants running around everywhere...That being said, we spent a few nights at the Sheraton Cable beach, and for double the price, we also had ants included, so go figure....I guess they are everywhere! We will definitely stay here again...The money we saved was WELL spent on swimming with dolphins and sharks!

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
  • Polish first
Brampton, Canada
Reviewed 4 July 2009

This place is acceptable for 1 or 2 nights max. - definitely a small time operator with small time attitude.

First - tried to charge me on check-in for taxes (6%) service charges (6%) and tip ($6/day) even though I already prepaid it all. Second - gave me a key to a different room, so was locked out and had to wait about 1 hour for maintenace to change the room lock. Third - they advertised Happy Hour from 4 to 6 pm with "All Drinks $3.75 including 15% service charge" with free snacks ... I order a drink at 4:30 and asked for something to munch on, some snacks ... they reply was to order from the menu ... but what about the free snacks on the sign right above you? Oh, that's for happy hour at 6 or something. I said, no, it says it runs from 4 to 6 pm. He said oh really? He then checked it out and I got some popcorn in 1/2 hour. When went to pay the bill after ordering 3 drinks between 4:30 and 5:30, he charged regular price ... I had to remind him of the Happy Hour special, and then he showed me another sign with the price list ... and I had to remind him of the BIG happy hour sign where ALL drinks are 1 price with tip included ... he studied the sign hard, then talked to management, and finally I got the bill changed. They would not let me charge to my room UNLES I opened up an account for $20 minimum... what's with that? I decided NOT to buy dinner here since they gave me a hard time.

Finally - breakfast from 7 to 10 did not start until 7:30 and the lady setting up was quite annoyed that me and another person were wondering were the coffee was, etc. Anyway - the "breakfast" is a real joke. The coffee is undrinkable, the OJ is Tang-like, and the only edible food is toast with butter or jam. The sausage is disgusting, the cheese slices were melted from heat, the eggs were over-hard boiled ... and that's it!!!! Not really a breakfast at all, so don't expect much here.

The rooms are clean and spacious; 2 free internet stations available. The pool is very tiny, only 2 people max at 1 time. Location is great in downtown Nassau.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled solo
Silver Spring, Maryland
Reviewed 3 March 2009

One block from the main tourist strip of stores, this hotel met the basic needs. The people at the front desk were always pleasant, even when I requested a room change due to the lack of a window. They answered questions, and called a taxi for my return home.
I had a room on the first floor in the courtyard. The room was clean, if a bit worn. Clean sheets on an older mattress. The bathroom was fairly clean, though the walls could have used a wipe down. The tub did not drain well. The windows let in light, but were pebbled so you couldn't really tell the weather from inside. There was a small fridge and a microwave, as well as a table with 2 chairs.
The Towne is one black from the strip and straw market, 2 from the docks and Senor Frogs. In another direction, it was 2 blocks to the British Colonial, which has a small, nice beach. It is another block further to Junkanoo beach. It is on the same block as the Pirate museum, and just up the street from the #10 bus (jitney) to cable beach.
The price includes a basic breakfast- hard muffins, white and wheat bread, butter, jam, sliced fruit, cheddar cheese, hardboiled eggs, and sometimes sausage. To drink, coffee, tea, and juice. There is a toaster for the bread.
There is a small bar with menu service, but I never ate there.

I liked the courtyard with the fountain (it's not really a pool). I also liked the staff. The floors could have been a little cleaner. The noise on Sat night from the club down the street is really loud. THere was little social interaction- not the place if you are looking to meet a lot of people. Depending on season, you may be able to get a better deal at a hotel on the beach.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled solo
Michigan
Reviewed 4 January 2009

I stayed at the Towne Hotel the second week of December 2008. I have to say that I picked an Ideal spot for what I was in the Bahamas to do. Since I was there on business, the hotel was near all of the facilities that I needed to come in contact with. It was in walking distance of everything I wanted see and needed to be. You will be near the downtown area and numerous places to eat if you want somewhere else to eat besides the restaurant located within the hotel ( I had some really nice local meals at the hotel's restaurant ). The hotel is within walking distance to the beach also. If I was unsure about a certain place that I needed to go, the staff assisted me in finding it with no problem. The Towne Hotel staff was a good source of information for me while I was in Nassau. Now, I have read some of the reviews about the hotel and a few were a bit negative but basically if you want a clean and relatively inexpensive hotel to stay at, then the Towne Hotel is the place for you. It's not in any way like some the more expensive hotels but if you want that kind of atmosphere than go to Paradise Island. With the continental breakfast, the use of the internet, having access to the restaurant, inside the hotel, it was an ideal place for me. It is a bit noisy at nights but for the price, it was ideal. Just remember, while you are at the Towne Hotel, don't forget to speak to Max! If you don't he will say, "hello" and stare at you until you answer him! If you are curious about who Max is, you'll have to check out the Towne Hotel! So if you plan to visit Nassau, and you are on a budget, give the Towne Hotel a try!

Stayed December 2008, travelled on business
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed 2 January 2009

My friend and I stayed at the Towne Hotel for 5 nights during the Christmas holiday. It was a good fit for us. It was clean, water pressure in the shower was great. I found the breakfast good because I like a light breakfast with toast, juice and an egg. The location was the number one reason I looked at this hotel. The hotel was clean, staff was friendly and I felt safe. It is not a luxury hotel but when I travel the hotel is used for resting and showering. I also like the fact that the hotel had two computers with the internet. There was noise one night after Junkanoo but that is not the fault of the hotel or management. The people staying at the Hilton was disturbed also. The Towne Hotel worked for my friend and me.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Peace River, Canada
Reviewed 18 December 2008

Nassau isn't cheap, and the Towne is one of two or three budget options left for tourists that won't shatter your travel budget. For $65, we received a smallish room with two double beds, a working television, and a cramped bathroom -- and even got a wakeup call at 5 a.m., as requested! Okay -- there wasn't any hot water, the room smelled slightly mouldy, and I still have no idea how I could have turned on the air conditioning unit -- but these are standard flaws in a Nassau budget property, and not problems unique to the Towne.

We were advised that there was a complimentary "continental" breakfast in the morning, but had to leave before we could sample the fare. Both my parents and sister, recent guests at the Towne, rated the breakfast as "crappy" (but free!).

The Towne has a downtown location very close to some of Nassau's (few) tourist sites, such as the Houses of Parliament, the Bay Street Shopping area, and the Straw Market. It's certainly not a new property, but it is an affordable alternative to some of the pricier options on the tourist market.

• Liked — Price; location
  • Disliked — outdated rooms with old furniture; noise from other trafellers
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nassau
Courtyard Nassau Downtown/Junkanoo Beach
El Greco Hotel
El Greco Hotel
#27 of 37 in Nassau
British Colonial Hilton Nassau

Been to Towne Hotel? Share your experiences!