“Sandals Royal Bahamian- My Savvy Impressions”

Sandals Royal Bahamian Spa Resort & Offshore Island
Ranked #1 of 37 Hotels in Nassau
Nashville, Tennessee
“Sandals Royal Bahamian- My Savvy Impressions”
Reviewed 29 July 2014

As an Independent Travel Advisor and a Certified Sandals Specialist, I am very familiar with Sandals, having visited most of the locations to learn about them and stayed at many as a guest on my time off. I do not have to sell Sandals, but I choose to, because I believe in the product and know that when I send clients there they will have a fantastic time, have wonderful customer service and be wowed!
The Royal Bahamian boasts Winner of the 2013 Five Star Diamond Award as well as the Most Elegant Resort in the Bahamas and it is understandable why. Upon arrival you are greeted in the entrance by an impressive set of statues of Poseidon and Amphitrite, which immediately gives you a sense of the décor of this tasteful and elegant resort. Once known as the Balmoral, it was a 1940s high society club and has entertained such celebrities as the Duke and Duchess of Windsor among many others. Later, the Beetles filmed “Help” on the out island.
The first day of our visit we checked into our beautiful Club Level room in the Windsor Tower
overlooking the pool and the ocean. After getting situated and grabbing a cold beverage from our in-room mini-bar, we headed out to see the resort. The roman columns, statues, murals, waterfalls and fountains throughout the property all lend to the ambiance that has allowed Sandals Royal Bahamian to retain the vote for the Most Elegant Resort in the Bahamas for five years running.
We found the service to be attentive and accommodating everywhere; the staff was truly excited to see us and genuinely invested in making our stay the most enjoyable that it could be. Try smiling at the staff and they will certainly smile back! The resort offers something for everyone, whether that be a quiet, un-intruded getaway or a fun-filled time with lots of new friends. By day the Windsor pool offers water games, activities, music and fun. The swim-up bars are fantastic and the bartenders add a personal touch to your day that you cannot find paralleled anywhere else. If you want a more quiet experience, the Balmoral pool is for you. It also boasts a swim-up bar and hot tub, but the mood is more serene and equally as lovely. The pools are crystal clear and they and the bars are immaculately clean.
The Sandals Royal Bahamian is the only resort in Nassau with a private off-shore island and restaurant, and we thoroughly enjoyed spending time there several days, as they have a complimentary ferry that runs every hour. The Zen Garden and Red Lane Spa on the island are beautiful, tranquil, and inviting. The back side of the island has a lovely, quiet beach that overlooks the gorgeous turquoise waters and beautiful white sand, although that side is a bit rocky and not quite as breezy, the view is stunning and it is a great place to look for seashells! The pool on the island also has a swim-up bar and we enjoyed a great lunch at Stewfish, the island restaurant. I had the conch fritters which reminded me of calamari and was delicious.
Speaking of food, in the main resort there are 10 restaurants to choose from. I am always surprised when I hear people complain of the food, as there are numerous choices from French to Caribbean seafood, and there is something for everyone.
Baccarat, the French restaurant, was wonderful. I enjoyed the escargot and the lamb, which was cooked to perfection. With tables placed in the beautiful bay windows, the sit down breakfast there is fantastic (bring your sunglasses) and offers amazing omelets, eggs benedict, lox and bagels, crepes, fresh fruits, and caviar, among other choices- all included!
We enjoyed the signature crab sandwich at the Royal Café for lunch one day, and thought it to be absolutely delicious. Also try the signature drink, the Comba Smash- you will not regret it!
The pizzeria was a favorite of ours for an after pool snack. They will make it just the way you like it!
Spices offers Caribbean cuisine and I am always surprised to read negative reviews about this restaurant. I wonder if those reviewers are simply not interested in Caribbean style food, as the food itself was great and plentiful. It has a buffet for breakfast and lunch, but it is all freshly made, piping hot, and frequently replenished. They also have an array of salads, fresh fruit, cheeses and sweets. The omelet chef remembered our order from a couple of days before; now that is customer service!
The Crystal Room houses the stunning Baccarat Crystal chandelier, which was originally installed by the Duke of Windsor, who was the island's governor at the time. The food is wonderful and offers Mediterranean cuisine. I had the seafood casserole and my husband had the crab linguine and both were delicious. We headed over to the piano bar feeling very satisfied and pleased.
The Cricketers Pub has great hot wings, burgers, etc. topped off with a very lively atmosphere. The restaurant is a true English pub with decor brought over piece by piece from a true working pub in England.
Gordon’s on the Pier is an open aired restaurant, and every table has an ocean view. I dined there on my last visit, and found it to be a fantastic experience. The lobster was out of season this visit. With lobster being in season only from August through March, the months of April, May, June, and July do not have lobster available. It is illegal for the restaurant to serve it out of season, therefore if lobster is a make-or-break deal for you, I would advise you to visit during the lobster season listed above. In the summer months, it is not in season and cannot be served; just something to keep in mind.
Another really fun addition is the weekly late night chocolate buffet, which is not to be missed. And
don’t forget to take your white clothes for White Night, the same night as the chocolate buffet, as all of the guests are encouraged to dress in white and it is a very elegant time. There are so many fun theme nights, such as White Night, the Art Show, the Reggae Party, the Lovers Game Show, the All that Jazz show, and more--- and it is all included! The resort reserves the right to move the activities around, and sometimes that might happen. For instance, I have been here before when they had the beach party on the island but this time they had a lively and fun street party outside of Spices, with Caribbean dancers and musicians, a buffet with a wide variety of food, and of course drinks. The entertainers are great everywhere and make it fun for everyone.
Speaking of evening entertainment, you cannot go wrong with the piano bar. Open until 12:30am, it has several pianists who can play very well. They pass out songbooks and everyone sings and it is a great time! Also, the piano bar has several items and pictures from the Duke and Duchess of Windsor, and these items are very interesting to view.
On to the watersports! They have hobiecats, paddleboards, kayaks, water bikes, windsurfing and snorkeling equipment. If you are uncomfortable utilizing the hobiecats simply ask someone to take you out on one- they are more than happy to do so. Also to keep in mind, if you get stranded on the water the resort will come rescue you for free, unlike other all-inclusive resorts that will charge you a fee for such service. We went snorkeling, and it is amazing in the Bahamas. The water is clear and there are many types of underwater life such as fish, eels, sea turtles and coral. I would definitely recommend participating in one of these ventures to experience it all. The dive team is superb and I enjoyed a dive on this trip as well. The team is professional and accommodating. Certified divers can even arrange a shark dive to view reef sharks and participate in other specialized dives. Also for certified divers, you get an included two tanks a
day! Now that is special! I want to give a big shout out to Brian on the dive team, who was very attentive and accommodating and made my dive extra special.
There are photographers that walk around the resort and capture photos of the guests. You can even go into Snapshots and request a photo session, which I highly recommend as the quality of their pictures is excellent! I am always pleased!
Last but not least, I want to mention the butler service. We travelled with two other couples who
happen to be clients and friends and who had butlers. Moral and his team of butlers were fabulous and exceeded all expectations. They even included us in their special treatment when we were with our friends. They anticipated our every need and went above and beyond, even setting up a fantastic dinner on one of our friend’s patios with food from many of the restaurants and drinks and made sure that we had one of the hot tubs to ourselves the whole evening. I cannot say enough about the butlers! I have read several complaints about the butler service and I feel that these individuals do not understand how to utilize the service. They are all trained to the highest standards by the Guild of Professional English Butlers. If you do not communicate your wishes to them, how will they get to know your personal preferences? You must get to know them in order for them to serve you to their greatest potential. Invest the time. They will knock your socks off. Here are some notes on what to expect with butler service, if you utilize them as they want you to.
• Handle your check in
• Unpack your luggage
• Bring you breakfast in bed, or onto your balcony or patio
• Press your clothes two times complimentary
• Handle other laundry needs
• Bring snacks and beverages anywhere on the resort
• Reserve cabanas on the beach and by the pool
• Restock your bar
• Arrange surprises, private dining and picnics
• And much more. This is just a tiny list of what the butler service is happy to provide for you-all
included!

Here are some quick tips about this resort for your consideration:

• Butler Level rooms have 24 hour room service

• Only a 15 minute drive from the airport

• Nassau’s only resort with a private island

• 10 dining options

• Free wifi for Club Sandals and Butler guests; while it is sometimes spotty at least it is there! I

used it a lot during my stay (I was even able to check my Clash of Clans and fight battles several

times!).

• Fabulous spa services

• The weekly late night chocolate buffet and specialty coffee

• Scuba diving included for certified divers in authentic PADI dive centers

• Sandals Royal Bahamian has earned the Green Star Award

• Check out Sandals Earthguard, the new environmental programme of Sandals and Beaches
resorts

• Check the Sandals Foundation, a nonprofit that gives back to the Caribbean- I am so impressed with this program!

• Beautiful Azure Waters of the Atlantic

• There is something for everyone!

Room Tip: The rooms in the Windsor Tower are near the lively pool and water sports area. The new Swim Up Cry...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
5 Thank SavvyVacationLady

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,041)
  • Polish first
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 29 July 2014

Just returned on Sunday from a 5-nights stay in an oceanview Club Level room in the Balmoral building.If you don't read the whole review, just know that the beach, ocean, island, resort grounds, service and food were all amazing!!!

Check in at the Club lounge was quick and easy. Upon arrival I asked about dinner reservations for some of the restaurants I knew needed them, and really appreciated that the ladies in Club Sandals had already made my reservations for the whole week, with room to edit if needed. Within 10 minutes (mostly spent sipping champagne) we were up at our room, with our luggage waiting there for us. No complaints about the room, it was spacious and modern, definitely renovated not too long ago.

I'm an avid scuba diver and was especially looking forward to the opportunity to dive during this vacation. The dive team was friendly and helpful. There were lots of big colorful fish and even saw some sharks, sea turtles, and most dives included a shipwreck. While I was there, they were offering a 2-tank shark and blue hole dive for an additional $105 per person, on top of the normal daily 2-tank complimentary dives for certified divers.

The beach in front of the resort has a nice sandy bottom and clear water. We saw stingrays and eagle rays swimming around near shore a couple of times. Most afternoons were spent on the resort's offshore island. It's just a quick 5 minute boat ride that leaves the mainland every hour on the hour. Plenty of shade palapas and gazebos were always available. We never had a problem finding a spot with shade, though it may have been nice to have a butler to take care of it for us instead. There are several different parts of the island but our favorite spot to relax was on the back side in a cove with great snorkeling. We saw sea turtles grazing on the sea grass everyday (once we knew where to look) and even a barracuda. The snorkeling was the trip highlight for my non-diving travel buddy. The color of the water here is truly breathtaking...so clear and perfectly aqua.

I went in a pool once during my vacation...what can I say, I'm a beach person and this beach was amazing. I can go to a pool at home. However, the pools seemed like a popular option with other guests and the swim-up bars were definitely kept in business.

Most all-inclusive resorts aren't known for food quality, but I was very impressed with all my meals. I think my favorites were my dinners at Spices (Bahamian cuisine) and the Crystal Room (Mediterranean). I had a Bahamian foil steamed fish at Spices that was so simply prepared and delicious. At the Crystal Room, I had a sinfully rich crab linguine that I'm still dreaming about, and a molten chocolate cake for dessert. My travel buddy really loved the duck entree at Baccarat (French). Soups were all-around surprisingly good as well..from creamy seafood and conch chowders to seafood bisques..I think we ate soups everyday because they were just that good!

If you are thinking about Sandals Royal Bahamian, please don't hesitate to book your stay. I can't imagine not having an amazing time at this resort. Do speak to a qualified Sandals travel agent (like me!) in order to pick the right kind of room for your stay...looking at all the options might be confusing and a good travel consultant will know the specifics on room location, view, and other important considerations.

3 Thank ThreeWishesAmy
Cypress, Texas
Reviewed 29 July 2014

My wife and I just got back from a 5 day stay (M-F) at the Sandal's Royal Bahamian for our 5 year anniversary. We stayed in the Royal Village Luxury in a nice 1 room w/seating area and patio (No Butler). I do have to preemptively state that our honeymoon was taken at the Four Seasons Maui, so that's all we have to compare it to besides domestic stays at Holiday Inn, Hampton, La Quinta and the like.

Summary (Out of 5 stars):

Beaches - 5 star, especially the beaches on the private island. You can tell Sandals did a lot of work to upgrade the beaches and make them nicer compared to anywhere else on New Providence Island (Nassau)

Resort Activities - 5 star. A bunch of sports (tennis, basketball, sand & pool volleyball), games (table tennis, table pool, shuffle board, croquet), water sports (paddle board, sailing, water tricycle, scuba, snorkel), and also board games for check out. I don't know what else you could want. They are very near a golf course if you like that.

Resort Amenities - 4.5 star. 2 main pools, a bunch of small pools/hot tubs located throughout the Royal village. Bars and towel stations throughout.

Room Amenities - 4 star. The beds and seating areas were very comfortable. Updated large LCD tvs, nice fridge and bar that was fully stocked. Iron and board. It was missing a hair dryer, even though it states they are included. My wife always brings her own, so it did not bother us.

Restaurant Selection - 4 star. A nice assortment of various food and dining options.

Why only 4 stars overall?

It's the quality (3 Stars) (My wife actually said it was Days Inn quality). The biggest turn off was the maintenance/upkeep of the property and attention to detail. The lawn care was perfectly maintained, they mowed twice when we were there. What I'm talking about is the appearance of the buildings and statues/columns/signs. It was obvious the buildings on the outside needed to be power washed and some parts re-painted. Our room had poor attention to detail. There was bad tile/wood work and rotting wood. Horrible paint/caulk jobs. This probably doesn't matter to most people, but it takes away from the "luxury" feeling. The Four Seasons was so meticulously maintained and quality built you felt like you were staying in a million dollar mansion. In the Royal Village room I felt it was very much a "DIY" upgrade. (it may not be true of the other rooms of the facility, but the outdoor buildings everyone can see).

I kind of figured that choosing this resort, because the pictures of the bathroom on the website showed an older type bathroom. However, the pictures of the outside of the resort can be mis-leading, the buildings are not as well maintained.

We love the Sandals concept of all inclusive (of course it means its already paid for). I know I want to try another Sandal's resort that is a more "luxurious", but this wasn't it. As far as value is concerned, it depends on the price you put on convenience. We paid nearly $700/night for both of us. They probably have a pretty premium for all the included premium drinks, however, my wife and I hardly ever drink. We did not feel like we could get our money's worth. Our stay at the Four Seasons Maui during high season was $500/night. I feel like for the $200/night difference we could have easily paid for all our meals.

I know for the most part their staff was very friendly and helpful. Now this may be a cultural difference, but both my wife and I noticed that the males were much more friendly, conversational and fun (even in town). The women seemed to be much more straight forward, not necessarily willing to go out of the way to help (especially the bar/waiter and front desk staff). Also the barstaff were not so friendly (both male and female). I stood many times with no line waiting to get served and would not receive any acknowledge of my presence till they were done with what they were doing, sometime this was for 5 minutes. This turned us off. I'm use to people at lease acknowledging you are there with a "Hi, I'll be with you in a minute". These bar staff would see you and then look away and converse with the other staff and finish what they were doing before they even talked to you. At the Four Seasons, everyone knew us by name without even having meet us. It made me feel like it was a requirement of their staff memorize who were the guests and what they looked like.

Overall we had a good experience, however, we would not come back again, as there are far too many other resorts and locations we would like to visit first. I would like to try the Sandals concept again, maybe the Beaches resort, (especially for all inclusive for the kids), but next time for couples only we may just stay a 5 star rated resort and pay our way for food. However, some of the other Sandal's resorts look very grand!

Concerning some of the negative reviews on here. I don't think a Butler is necessary to have a good experience. We would never use it, maybe because we don't drink much. We did not have any trouble finding a shaded canopy, however, you probably won't get a big cabana. We did have trouble getting dinner reservations at Stew fish, Baccarat, Kimonos (all booked for the week), but we were able to try two at lunch and breakfast. We never had trouble getting any bath towels (they always stocked extra), and there were plenty of beach towels always available.

Room Tip: We loved the location and tranquility of the Royal Village rooms. Small little pools/spas and romant...
2 Thank OilManSam
Barrie, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 29 July 2014

We won this trip through the local radio station which was super exciting. We dealt with a woman named Grace at Sandals in Toronto...she was not overly friendly or helpful...we had no idea what was going on half the time and we had to almost pester her to get the trip booked...she actually had to change the date on us twice because she waited so long to book the trip.
Once we got to the hotel we found out that we had a very basic room with no balcony and no spirits in the fridge...we were also treated quite differently then the guest that were at club level. Had we known we would have upgraded to a club level room...I was really looking forward to a balcony. This didn't seem to be an option for us to upgrade or if it was we had no idea.
The room was nice and clean...we did have a fridge with pop, juice and water. It was only filled maybe 3 or 4 times throughout our 8 day stay.
The resort itself was beautiful! I had never seen the ocean so I loved sitting in the cabanas on the ocean....we were only able to get a cabana 2 days out of the 8 days....people would go and leave a towel and a magazine or book in the cabanas to reserve them and then wouldn't even return so there sat an empty cabana all day. That was a little frustrating.
We ran out of towels quite often and we had to phone down to get more....we also ran out of toilet paper twice.
The food was so so...Baccarat & Kimonos were awesome....Chef Tiny was awesome! We went to Komonos twice cause the food and the chefs were great! Baccarat had the best tasting duck ever! The other restaurants were so so and the food all tasted the same at all the others. The fish and chips at the pub were quite yummy as well!
The entertainment was fun...I loved the junkanoo! Bee, Kendall, Bullet, the artist and all the other guys were great! They did a lot of the same things but we stilled enjoyed it...we went to the entertainment every night! They all seem to work so hard to make things fun!
I am VERY thankful for winning this trip but I think if Sandals is going to give away trips they need to treat the winners the same as the other guests! I was excited to have won this dream vacation and I was hoping I would enjoy it so much to make this our new vacation destination every year but I am not sure I would ever pay money to stay at this resort.
I would LOVE to try out other Sandal resorts but now I am extremely hesitant after staying here. If I am going to pay out thousands of dollars on a trip I want good food and awesome service and I am not sure if Sandals can offer that :-(

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Clifton, Virginia
Reviewed 29 July 2014

we really enjoyed our 5 nights at sandals with 2 other couples with the same wedding anniversary. It was a perfect setting to renew our vows. we said them in a gazebo on the beach with huge angels on each side. The piano bar was fun each night :) i loved the floats for the pool. the island was beautiful. the food was good. the SERVICE was excellent. Everyone working there were friendly and helpful. RICARDO went above and beyond. my husband lost his expensive prescription sunglasses in the ocean while stand up paddle boarding. Ricardo went out with googles and did not give up until he found them. WOW....that was like finding a needle in a haystack. we really appreciated his concern and efforts!!! Keep your eye out for "nate the great"
he is everywhere and very sweet . All the wait staff in the restaurants AND bars were wonderful, especially jason that made us our favorite martinis at night. From tiffany B. greeting us until we left,
it was a great experience. Shayla was a joy. the pretty lady in white dress that sang at the scb
party was interested in our feedback ...listened, made a change, and then followed up with us.
The list goes on :) VERY pretty property .

Room Tip: we liked the balmoral building.
Charlotte
Reviewed 28 July 2014 via mobile

My husband and I booked this long weekend simply as a quick get away to refuel our gas tanks from our corporate America life. We have traveled to numerous adults-only, all-inclusive resorts before and we're not expecting perfection.....just a few days in the sun, beautiful ocean, good drinks and no drama from resorts with children around: that's exactly what we got.

I agree with the other comments I've seen, the food isn't great by any means. Some meals I left hungry because I didn't like my food. That being said, Baccarat restaurant was great and the service from Vincent, was the best we had in the restaurants. But again, we didn't go to the Bahamas to have 5-star dining experiences....we could have stayed home for that. Remember the crystal blue waters?? Yeah.....THAT, AND they have a private beach island that is a 2 minute boat-ride away, with cabanas, swim-up bar and restaurant. That's why you go to the Bahamas.

The best part of the trip (outside of the ocean) were our butlers......getting a butler suite was WELL worth the price. Serente, Orlando and Moral were assigned to us and were amazing, professional, hysterical and made us feel like we were royalty. A special thank you to Vincent, the butler who was not assigned to us, yet treated us like gold every time we saw him.
Why butlers you ask?? Private transportation to and from the airport (if you are like me, I don't handle crowded, smelly buses very well), assistance with luggage, a person assigned to you that can get you anything you want and ANY time (complete with small cell phone given to you for such requests) reserved cabanas on the private island and they can walk you to dinner so that you get to eat in whatever restaurant you want, even if no reservations are available.

Bottom line is besides the beautiful crystal blue waters, Serente, Orlando and Moral (and Vincent) made our trip well worth it......thank you guys for being so fun, so welcoming and, although my husband does a pretty good job of it, you made me feel like a princess. Sandals.....don't lose these guys, they are contributing to your bottom line more than you know!

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Roggiegirl
Saffa in London
Reviewed 27 July 2014

My wife and I are independent travellers and were hesitant booking an all-inclusive for our honeymoon. The Sandals brand speaks for itself and it did not disappoint us at all.

The service, restaurant choice, entertainment, staff and water sport options were excellent. The offshore island has a good restaurant, swim up bar, nice beaches and secluded huts.

We also caught a bus into Nassau from outside the hotel and visited Atlantis as a daytrip.

We highly recommend Sandals for your honeymoon and it is worth every penny as there is not much more you could ask for once you arrive.

To be honest, it spoils any other future all inclusive holidays…

Room Tip: Any room will do
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank 30Before30
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nassau
Atlantis, Royal Towers, Autograph Collection