“Pretty decent honeymoon. It is what it is.” 4 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Sandals Royal Bahamian Spa Resort & Offshore Island
Ranked #1 of 37 Hotels in Nassau
Pittsburgh, PA
“Pretty decent honeymoon. It is what it is.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 September 2010

My wife and I recently spent our honeymoon at Sandals Royal Bahamian. I didn’t know a great deal about the chain, or this specific resort before booking here. What I did know came from the advice of our travel agent, and from the resort’s web site. Because I’m a somewhat picky person when it comes to food and drink, I was initially hesitant to choose an all-inclusive resort. There were ups and downs.

I want to put this near the top of the review, since it is long: The tap water here is NOT drinkable, but other than the fact that they give you bottled water, and that there are water coolers scattered about, there’s NO direct indication of this. I specifically asked and they told me “No,” while giving me this look that screamed, ‘Oh my God, I hope you haven’t been drinking it!’ Be warned.

Obviously included dining is a major selling point for all-inclusive resorts. I would say that overall the food was acceptable, but not great. None of the meals wowed me, but none of the meals were particularly regrettable either. Some of the restaurants on the property require reservations, others do not, and on a couple of nights there were event dinners of some sort.

We ate at The Crystal Room which is their standard American ‘date night’ restaurant. In the States, this place would have been a rung above chain restaurants like Outback or Friday’s, but a rung or two below a Morton’s or a Legal Seafoods. The atmosphere was pleasant, but the food was average. Their menu didn’t have anything particularly interesting; I got the chicken, my wife opting for the vegetarian linguine in cream sauce. The linguine was tasty for being the vegetarian black-sheep of the menu, and the chicken was edible but a bit dry.

We were able to eat at both of the reservation-only restaurant properties, Kimono’s and Baccarat. Kimono’s is a Benihana-inspired hibachi place, and was, again, fine but not outstanding. At hibachi places, half the appeal is in the cooking performance, but our chef seemed kinda bummed out and spoke very softly, robbing us of that part of the experience. Chefs at other tables were obviously more energetic, as we could hear their performances raging from our quiet perches. Food was on par with other hibachi places I’ve been to in the States.

Baccarat, their “French” option, had it’s ups and downs but was the best of the dining experiences. They served me a remarkably tender, flavorful filet mignon cooked perfectly to medium rare. My wife tried their Lobster Thermidor, which was fine, but a bit chewy and unremarkable compared to the steak. The desserts at Baccarat were nigh to inedible - a boozy tasting apple tart drowned in Grand Marnier and a chocolate ‘cheesecake’ which sounded lovely on the menu, but bore no resemblance to anything I’ve ever known as cheesecake. Both desserts left the distinct impression that they had been prepared days earlier, and not particularly well to begin with. At the end of our stay, we concluded that every dessert at every restaurant shared these problems, and were entirely missable across the board. If you vacation here, skip dessert - it’s not worth it.

As for drinking, there are many bars across the resort, all free of charge and tipping, that will make you whatever non-specific drink you care to quaff, seemingly in any quantity you wish, from about 11am until 2am. Every Concierge-level room is also home to a charge-free “mini” bar sporting full fifths of standard glass-bottle-but-no-name Vodka, Gin, Scotch, Rum, regular and light beer, red and white wine, and a few mixers.

With few exceptions, you’re relegated to what one might call ‘generic’ drinking. Most bars make drinks with no-name alcohol, although not plastic-bottle ‘gasoline’. There’s one ‘full-flavored’ beer and one light beer, and a house Chardonnay, Merlot and Cabernet. There is an upper echelon of guests, called ‘butlered guests,’ who, if feeling particularly demanding, can dispatch their personal butler track down a more specific beverage choices. That level of service, however, comes at considerable additional up-front expense.

I was entirely certain before arriving, that the resort would be a parade of inebriated jackasses. However, the flip-side of the ‘meh’-quality of the alcohol seems to be that people drink either for flavor, with frozen concoctions that mask the “flavor” of the underlying liquor, or they drink just as much as they need to reach whatever level of intoxication they desire. (read: weak drinks) Also, since Sandals resorts are couples-focused, no one’s really trying to prove anything or drum up liquid courage. People seemed pretty well behaved.

We attended two events put on by the resort. The day of our arrival we hit the Island Party, over on their private island, Sandals Cay. It proved to be a great chance to meet other couples. A buffet-style dinner introduced guests to some island cuisine, and a nearly-mandatory conga line got everyone in a dancing mood. We also attended their Junkanoo Street Party which also featured lots of local flavor including food, dancing and fireworks. Food at both events was decent, but again, unremarkable.

If you look hard enough, or ask, there seems to be policy for almost everything that goes on at Sandals. My advice to any future guests would be simply not to look for it and not to ask. For instance, the pool closes at 7pm, but if you’re in the pool after 7pm, no one will tell you to get out, and indeed, we saw couples sporadically frolicking in the pool throughout the night. It seems it’s a pretty permissive environment as long as you don’t ask, and what you’re doing isn’t impinging upon anyone else’s good time.

The staff is another big part of the experience at Sandals. In the beginning we both found the staff interaction very awkward. Everyone was hyper-outgoing and very friendly, and every staff member you pass will say, “Hello!”, ask you how you are doing, and if you’re having a good time.We grew accustomed to it over a day or two. Also, as time passed, we saw flashes of normal humanity peek through the presumably mandated hypomanic veneer.

Also adding to the charm were the cats. I suppose one might not be as thrilled if one were allergic, but the resort has three cats which are ‘owned’ and cared for by the resort who wander the grounds charming interested guests, eating table scraps, and lying in the sun for hours on end. I’ve read other reviewers who hated the cats, but we liked them.

As many cynics might expect, all-inclusive is not always ALL-inclusive, and some extra-cost items and activities can be billed to your room and others require cash. Wines beyond house wine, available only at reservation-restaurants, was additional. Similarly, jet ski rentals are cash-only, and strange to boot, as they appear to be administered by shady locals, who don’t actually work for the resort, but whose presence is merely tolerated at the far end of the resort beach. Likewise, other resort activities that involve gasoline/diesel, like tours, parasailing, SCUBA diving classes, or deep-sea fishing are all extra cost items. Generally, this stuff creates a brief, transient moments of bitterness every time something costs extra where you think to yourself, ‘All-inclusive... except THIS!’

Things we would have done differently:

We would have signed up for snorkeling immediately on arrival, since it was often cancelled.
We would have made restaurant reservations on the first day, since they filled up so early.
I would have brought a bottle or two of top-shelf liquor with me (or bought in town.)
We would have spent more time on the Cay (their private island).
We should have remembered to enjoy a sunset from the fitness center balcony (best view at the resort - not to be missed.)

This that were unexpectedly great:

We were really grateful to have a north-facing room. Balcony was always shaded throughout the day and had a great view.
We were grateful for one of their boat captains, Stefano, who was a real pro. Other pilots we rode with scared the crap out of us; This guy was clearly very skilled.
We were grateful for Playmaker “Crazy Ray.” He was, quite seriously, the one single staff member who had the biggest impact benefitting our good time.
We are grateful that we didn’t pay for the Internet service, and simply went a whole week without using the TV, Internet or cell phones even once.

All told we had a great time. I don’t know that we would go back again to this specific property, but we’ve had a pretty great time. Partly this hesitation to return is wanderlust - why go to the same place twice? That said, we are considering returning to another Sandals resort in another location. In our case, a large part of the appeal of a resort like this was that we didn’t have to do a bunch of planning to orchestrate our honeymoon. In my opinion, it’s all about expectations. Having been to one, I can say for certain, this is NOT a 5 star resort (but isn’t priced like one either), so if you expect that, you’ll be disappointed. If you expect a 3 star resort, you’ll be thrilled. If you expect a 4 star resort, you’ll be in the ballpark. I would say that nominally, if everything went perfectly, this resort would be 4 stars. Practically speaking, it was around a 3.5. I’ve rounded to 4 to give the benefit of the doubt.

1 Thank ipmcc

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,949)
  • Polish first
Hollywood, FL
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 September 2010

This was my third time at a Sandals property. The room was excellent, the food was fine. Dinner at the Baccarat restaurant should not be missed; my wife and I feel it was the best meal of our stay. The 2 pools in the main complex and the one on the privet island all had swim up bars. The staff was great for the most part but they could have used a either a few more bartenders or larger glasses. All of the people getting frozen drinks take a lot of time of the bartenders. It would be great if they some of the frozen drinks in slushy machines. Our room was very nice and a good size with a great view of the beach. It had a complementary mini bar with water, soda and juice plus full bottles booze which we never touched as we had plenty to dink at all of the bars. The piano bar was a great way to end the night but I wish they played later. The beach was exceptional. There was one employee Kendall which they call a Playmaker who keeps different types of fun activities for the people who want to get involved. He really added a lot fun for us.

We would definitely go back to this property and I highly recommend Sandals and Beaches (when you have kids) for a fun getaway.

1 Thank mrdlc1
Kent, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 September 2010

My Daughter and I stayed four days and three nights, We wanted to relax and have fun. The staff was wonderful and super freindly.I was worried about the weather based on the forcast, it called for t- storms and rain. Well they rain came and it went. It was warm, sunny, and wonderful.The Bahamian people are so nice I cant wait to go back.We were upgrated to a buitiful room and were treated like queens. My adives would beto book your reservations in advance for meals and activities. Thanks to all the staff and the Bahamian people that made of trip a wonderful experience.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank SUNSATIONAL10
Baltimore, Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 September 2010

My fiancée and I just returned from Sandals Royal Bahamian Resort and Spa. We stayed Sept 9-Sept 12 in a Windsor Grande Luxe Oceanview Concierge Room (#1622). The ride from the resort was pretty quick. We thought it was odd that two buses showed up and they put 6 people on one bus and 4 people on another. When we arrived at the resort we were greeted by Clyde who directed us to Reception because the rain was pouring. We got cool scented towels to refresh us. The rain never stopped, so we ended up walking quickly with Sandals umbrellas to the Windsor building.

Restaurants-Not all the restaurants were open every day, so there was a lot of frustration amongst the guests with the waitlists. We weren’t able to get into Baccarat because the first available reservation was Saturday at 9:30, so we had to pass. The Crystal Room was pretty good. The appetizers were small, but the entrée was pretty good. Ristorante Casanova has a phenomenal antipasti bar, but the entrees were marginal. Spices breakfast was okay, but there was no other meat besides pork. I wish they had turkey or shrimp for omelets for those that don’t eat pork. Spices dinner buffet was pretty good. Café Goombay was good. Do not get the crab salad; it’s just shredded up imitation crab. Yuck! The chicken tenders were excellent. I got dessert at Cricketers Pub and it looked and tasted like a Little Debbie Cake. The Pizzeria was great! I didn’t have to wait long for pizza, maybe 10 minutes.

Beach- There weren’t a lot of chairs on the beach, but we never had any issues getting one with an umbrella or some other shade. Sandals Cay is a must do. It was so beautiful and peaceful over there. The water was so beautiful and clear. Lots of fishes at Sandals Cay.

Room-The room was nice. The TV was little dated, but that doesn’t really matter. We loved the Ipod dock and used it often. We had a fantastic view and a large balcony.

Service-We had to call housekeeping to get more towels and to have our room cleaned. The one time they showed up it was 9:30 at night and we were getting ready for “bed”. Our bar and water was refilled every day without issue.

Drinks-I thought they were watered down. I ended up sticking to wine or making my own drinks. They were delicious, but watered down.

Entertainment-The Junkanoo was excellent and lots of fun. We didn’t see any other entertainment.

Spa/Gym-I got a French pedicure and my fiancée’ got a sports massage. This was the best pedicure I ever had and it was beautiful. My fiancée’ really needed the massage and he enjoyed it thoroughly. We went to the gym every day and there was always equipment. The free weight area was tight. The view from the cardio machines was awesome!

The resort gets 4 stars because our room did not get cleaned every day and you have to pay for internet access. Obviously, everyone had different experiences and we can relate because our stay at Sandals Antigua was garbage. We’ve stayed at Ritz Carltons and low budget bed and breakfasts, so we have some diversified travel also. I’ve noticed a lot of exaggeration and people with obvious ulterior motives. We came to relax and we were relaxed and refreshed.

2 Thank CeeCee76
Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 September 2010

We booked this trip on a voucher. We had gone to Sandals Royal Caribbean in Jamaica last year and were very disappointed. After writing a complaint letter, we received the equivalent of two free nights ($680) at that resort, which we applied toward Sandals Royal Bahamian. Since Jamaica is much less expensive, it equaled out to pay for about a day and a half in the Bahamas. I am so glad we picked the Bahamas for our return trip – it was far better than Jamaica in almost every way!

ARRIVAL
Customs at Nassau airport was painfully slow. In the Bahamas, Sandals has a little kiosk for check in and then directs you to haul your luggage down a long strip to the waiting bus. We had to wait for two buses to fill up before they put us on a bus. (In Jamaica, there is actually a lounge where guests can wait and have a drink while waiting for the bus). The ride to the resort was nice following a road right beside the shore. (Unlike in Jamaica, you don’t pass run-down and really desperate looking areas.)

CHECK IN/CHECK OUT
Since we arrived at 4 p.m., we were immediately able to get into our room. (We booked our flight this way on purpose after our trip to Jamaica, where we had to wait for 4 hours in a muggy open-air lobby getting bitten by mosquitoes.) The reception area is decorated in a very upscale way, and it is closed in and air conditioned. Because we had a voucher, they actually took us right to the concierge lobby and upgraded us from the cheapest category to an oceanfront room with a balcony.

When it was time to check out, the process went very smoothly. They require you to go to the airport 3 hours ahead of departure. The airport was slow, but we still had about an hour and a half to kill at the gate. When you are leaving, the bus circles around one time so all the staff can wave goodbye. It was a nice touch.

THE ROOM
We were in Room 411 in the Manor Building. The room was carpeted and looked recently updated. It had a fully-stocked bar with bottles of rum, vodka, wine, etc. and mini-fridge full of water, soda and juice. There was also a coffee maker and coffee supplies. We had a four-poster mahogany bed. The alarm clock had an iPod hook up. There was a small table and two side chairs overlooking the balcony, which was just big enough to stand on but didn’t have room for furniture. There was a flat-screen TV with a good selection of channels including Showtime, an in-room safe and a hair dryer. In the bathroom, there was a sink in a vanity area and then a separate room with a single sink and shower/tub (which was quite moldy and the only part of the room that needed an update). We were next to the quiet pool and had an excellent front-on view of the beach.

I would be leery of the patio-level rooms that walk out to the beach – there was no privacy at all. Because of the way the building is angled, most pool view rooms also have ocean views. I would not want to be in the Windsor building facing the pool, though, because it was extremely loud there. The main cheap category rooms are in the rear of the resort in the gardens and are a short walk to the pool and beach.

THE RESORT
The layout of the resort is rather compact. It is easy to get around and navigate. There are two main pools, and all of the restaurants are essentially in the same building (we assume the center is a shared kitchen) with entrances along the perimeter. The pools are quite large and get busy during the middle of the day. During our stay, the beaches were not very busy – maybe six or eight couples using them at a time. Overall, it was very nicely decorated and seemed updated and well maintained.

THE RESTAURANTS
Your choices are a buffet for breakfast (Spices or Cassanova, both have the same items – Baccarat had a sit-down breakfast but not the week while we were there, perhaps because the resort was not full). For lunch, you can go to the buffet again (Spices) or have burgers/wraps/sandwiches (Royal Café open-air by the pool or Café Goombay open-air on the island with essentially the same menus) or pizza (little take-out pizza hut by the party pool). For dinner, there was the buffet (Spices), Italian (Casanova), French (Baccarat), fine dining/seafood (Crystal Room), Japanese (Kimonos) or pub food (Cricketer’s Pub). Butler guests can go to Gordon’s on the Pier (open-air fine dining, but it costs $140 for non-butler guests). Note that not all the restaurants are open every night for dinner.

While we were there, we had no wait getting seated at any of the restaurants that didn’t require a reservation. We usually went at 6 p.m. when they opened. If you waited until 7:30 or 8 p.m., other people told us they had to wait 1-2 hours.

Spices – There was a good variety of items for breakfast, including lots of fruit, yogurt, oatmeal, bacon, sausages, home fries, scrambled eggs, pastries, bagels, muffins, etc. There was also a station making fresh French toast, pancakes or eggs to order depending on the day. There was another egg station for omelets or poached eggs to order. There was fruit juice and mimosas available, as well as coffee and tea. For lunch, there was a variety of hot items depending on a theme (we only ate there one day and there was a Mexican theme with fajitas, Spanish rice, etc.). There was also lunch meat for sandwiches, a variety of prepared salads, and a few other hot items that rotated (one day, there were conch fritters and fried conch). One thing to note is that I don’t eat red meat, and a lot of items had bacon or ham added to them. For dinner, it was again much like lunch with the salad bar and hot food items on a theme. We found the beverage service slow or non-existent in here for even just water and coffee. Desserts were mediocre across the board. Small, not too-sweet portions that all kind of tasted the same.

Royal Café/Café Goombay – This is an open-air restaurant open for lunch. Both have essentially the same layout and pretty similar menus. Royal Café has a veggie burger, fried conch, sandwiches, soups, burgers, etc. Café Goombay had a little more American spin to it (which was interesting because I thought it was supposed to be Bahamian). They both had an open dessert bar.

Pizza Hut – The pizza hut made pizzas to order in a brick open with fresh dough and a variety of toppings. You could also have it wrapped and take it back to the room. It was open from about 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. If you asked for a large pizza, though, you got a pre-made crust like from the grocery store. We enjoyed the pizza a lot. It had a sweet sauce and lots of fresh cheese. The only downside was that the dough was crawling with flies if they didn’t cover it up.

Baccarat – This restaurant required reservations and was billed as fine dining. It was supposed to be French but didn’t really have any French items except escargot. I had a vegetable pastry appetizer and a crab cake appetizer. They offered lobster and steak. This was a small, cozy restaurant and we enjoyed it, but the food was probably a 7 out of 10.

Crystal Room – This did not require reservations. I had scallops and Alaskan king crab legs for appetizers and salmon for dinner. It was upscale sea food and was good – probably another 7 out of 10.

Cricketer’s Pub – Yuck. We had eaten there in Jamaica and found the food tasteless and greasy. Same thing here. They have bangers and mash, Shepherd’s pie, etc. We tried the potato chip appetizer with “blue cheese sauce” which tasted like flour and cornstarch, and the potatoes were overcooked. The apple cobbler dessert tasted like a McDonald’s apple pie. 2 out of 10.

Cassanova’s – This was a pleasant surprise! There is a salad bar that is huuuuge. They had grilled asparagus, grilled zucchini and yellow squash, bruchetta with fresh tomatoes, fresh cheeses and Italian meats, white beans and chickpeas, etc. It was an awesome spread. For dinner, our pasta dishes were prepared well and al dente. Dessert was also a bar with cream puffs, tiramisu and a flan-like custard. Cassanova’s was the best by far – 8 out of 10.

Kimono’s – We didn’t eat here because it was only open 1 of the 3 nights we stayed, and we had booked Baccarat for that night.

THE BEACH
The main beach is a good size, and the swimming area that is buoyed off is quite large compared to what we saw in Jamaica. The water was about 80-82 degrees in early September, so it was cool at first but then like a bath. The sand is very smooth and powdery with only a few rocks. There is very little sea grass and no sea weed. On the private island, the beach on the back side of the island is more secluded but also more rocky. There is much less beach area, and most of the huts are reserved for butler guests. We didn’t find the island that impressive, so we spent our time back at the main beach. We also were weary of the sand flies and mosquitoes. We saw a few people who had been eaten alive. The restaurant on the island does carry bug spray if you need it.

THE STAFF
We found the Bahamian people to be extremely friendly and helpful. When you said “thank you,” they always replied with “my pleasure.” When our room hadn’t been cleaned by 4 p.m. on the second day, we called the concierge, and they sent someone up with fresh towels immediately, and then housekeeping was there within 5 minutes. The entertainment staff were also very good and wanted to make sure everyone had a great time. There was a high staff-to-guest ratio, and there were always staff coming behind to pick up towels, drink glasses, etc. The watersports staff were very outgoing and fun, as well.

ENTERTAINMENT
Nightlife at this resort is pretty lame. The only thing I would say is a don't-miss is the Junkanoo festival with West African dancing, music and a show by the staff. They also had a sing-along in the piano bar each night, a movie night and karaoke while we were there. The show room is pretty nice with a stage and lots of wicker loungers. Overall, most people went back to their rooms after dinner or hung out in the pub or bars.

WATERSPORTS
The watersports they offer are snorkeling (two trips a day, and they fill up fast, so register a day ahead), scuba diving, hobie cat (we couldn't go out because it wasn't windy enough any of the days we were there), water tricycles and kayaks. We were bummed they didn't have a boat with an inner tube to drag you around like they had in Jamaica.

SPA
We didn't go to the spa because prices seemed high. Expect to pay about $130 for a 50-minute massage.

FITNESS ROOM
This is a must-see. Go up to the sixth floor of the Manor Building. It is a great facility with all new equipment. It is the penthouse of the Manor Building with sweeping ocean views and balconies on both sides for great pictures.

MISC ADVICE
Go to the pier every night around 7:15 p.m. for a sunset photo. We had lots of pictures taken by the resort photographers. You can buy a 5x7 print or get a copyright free image on a CD for $10 a picture. This was not too bad considering that you can have them printed at home if you get the CD. The photos were excellent quality.

Return guests can get a free two-hour boat ride around the island with hors d’oeuvres, wine and dessert. This was a nice touch! We weren’t there on Wednesday, but apparently, they also have a special dinner on that day for return guests.

3 Thank ohxrapture
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2010

At Sandals Royal Bahamian my husband and I stayed in the St. James grande luxe oceanview suite. We were treated like royalty from the time we got there till our departure. After we got off the plane the wait for the shuttle was very brief. Upon arriving to the resort we never had to touch our bags until we had to board the plane again after our vacation was over. The staff is more then friendly and very accommodating. The food is so good and beautifully prepared. There resort provides activites throughout the day that are already planned that you can attend. We took part in the scuba diving and it was awesome! We even went on a shark dive and saw a few ship wrecks. The night life is also a lot of fun with the shows they put on everynight, the piano bar where you can have a few drinks and sing along to the music, the pub where you can meet other guest and have a few drinks, or enjoy some dancing to a band or to a dj. There are several staff memebers I would like to thank and will never forget: Ramon(watersports), Angella (guest services), Calvin (activities director), Kendel (activities), and Ricardo (underwater photographer). This was our honeymoon and our first vacation together and because of the great service, relaxing enviroment, and unforgettable memories we are already looking at booking a Sandals vacation for 2011.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Skyelv83
Calgary
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2010

This place was FANTASTIC. We went there for our honeymoon and just booked our next Sandals vacation and will never travel anywhere else.
After we booked the resort I started to read reviews and was anxious because of the criticism. We booked a butler suite and our trip was truly amazing. People complain about food and their stay. Well if you book the cheapest room possible don't expect the same as the people who paid double or triple.
When we arrived our private transfer was waiting, at the resort our butler took us to our room which was upgrade to a 1 bedroom suite. The beach is great, the off shore island tranquil and secluded. One pool is very quiet and the other has music entertainment etc. Playmakers and staff made this trip even better. Food was amazing I gained 10 lbs in 10 days! Other traveler's were great too and we still keep in touch.
All in all the people who don't like it must have been staying at a different place then us. We loved it and we travel lots so we had lots to compare to and it did not compare to any resorts we had been. HIGHLY RECOMMEND!

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Its_Tina
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nassau
Atlantis, Royal Towers, Autograph Collection