Sandals Royal Bahamian Spa Resort & Offshore Island
Ranked #1 of 37 Hotels in Nassau
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Good value”
Reviewed 15 September 2007

This was our first time at an all inclusive resort hence we did not know what to expect. Initially we were a little doubtful since we do like to stay at high end hotels and luxury resorts. First when we walked in it felt a little different from places that we usually stay at.
But after we got to experience all that Royal Bahamian had to offer we thought it was an excellent value. We are very active, we like sports and excercise. There was free tennis lessons, yoga, pilates, aerobics lessons. There were some water sports activities every day like volleyball etc.
Pools and the facilty bars were awesome. Liked the food too. Not exceptional but was good. Liked Baccarat for breakfast and dinner. Staff at Baccarat was great.
Service in general was spotty. In some bars the service in the evening was great but our concierge that we met with first was extremely difficult. But over all great stay. Would do it again.
One thing is we would loved to have watched the US Open tennis at an open air sports bar. There really was no provision for that indoors or outdoors so we mostly had to go back to our rooms to do so. Royal Theater needs severe updating and clean-up.
Rooms were fine. Nothing spectacular or luxury but nice size. even a westin has more comfortable beds.

• Liked — Activities and ease of all inclusive stay
  • Disliked — Look or resort and rooms
3 Thank SangeetRajan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,039)
  • Polish first
Cherry Hill, New Jersey
Reviewed 12 September 2007

The food and service were amazing, and the price was pretty reasonable. We stayed in the Manor on the sixth floor, and other than some small amount of mildew in the bathroom, everything was very clean and wonderful, and they restocked the water, soda, and juice in the free mini bar every day.

Make your reservations for both Baccarat and the Crystal Room a couple of days in advance, at least. Although Baccarat seems to be all the rage, we actually enjoyed our dinner at the Crystal Room more, largely because of the service. Spices has impressive breakfast and lunch buffets, although I recommend going to the cooks for eggs benedict or an omelet rather than trying the scrambled eggs from the buffet line.

The island restaurant was okay, although we went on an extremely warm and humid evening and were overheated, attacked by bugs (despite being provided with bug spray by our very apologetic host), and disappointed that there were no cold dessert items to help cool us down. However, this seemed to be an unusual experience, and we would give it another shot.

The scuba diving was wonderful overall, but one or both of us had problems with our regs and/or BCD and/or tanks every single day. The staff was knowledgable, and everything was clean, but it seems as though they didn't have the budget for replacing basic parts as frequently as should be done. Nearly every diver had at least a slow leak every day, including our instructors.

The most impressive part about our stay was the amazing service. Everyone went out of their way to assist us and simply chat with us about our stay.

We now plan to go every year, although we will probably bring our own diving equipment in the future.

• Liked — We were able to relax and enjoy the week without having to worry about money or food
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5 Thank NJdivecouple
nj
Reviewed 11 September 2007

Just got back from Sandals, and after reading many bad reviews,before we went, I was a little nervous as I had made all the arragements. Well, all I can say is we had the time of our lifes, I wondered if I was at the same resort as those people who complained. We stayed in the Windsor building, conceirge level, a beautiful room, no mold, believe me I looked. Baccaret was our favourite restaurant, but you must make reservations upon arrival as we did, Crystal room was also very good, nice ambiance, Cassanova was also good, but being from the Northeast we are spoiled by so many good Itilian restaurants, but I really have to say all restaurants we received outstanding service, they really want you to enjoy yourself. Most mornings we went to Spice for breakfast, which has a very good buffet, Cafe gombay had a great lunch menu, they serve the best miami vice, also try the signature bahamiam bread, sinful ////. My husband and I love the beach so most days we went to the private island which I loved, so relaxing, and the water is beautiful, other days we stayed at the other island and enjoyed taking out the hobie cat and the canoes, we had a lot of fun with those. Night life, there was something every night, but most nights after dinner , we would head to the piano bar, which was alot of fun, the guys who work there are a lot of fun. We were there for six nights, and this is the first all inclusive we never left, normally my Husband gets bored and has to venture outside, not this time. We had such a good time we are already looking in to another Sandals resort for our next vaction. If you are lucky enough to be going to this wonderful resort, disregard the bad reviews, for those of you in the service industry, you know, some peopleare never happy , no matter what you do. Just some last advice , do bring bug spray, and Ladies pack your nice cute little outfits, as most people were dressed very nicely, also for the Gents, long pants and nice collared shirts, and just have the time of your lifes.

• Liked — clean and comfortable
6 Thank bossladyNj
Naperville, IL
Reviewed 11 September 2007

My husband and I stayed @ the Sandals Royal Bahamian Resort to celebrate our 9th Anniversary.
I booked this "surprise present" for my husband and because we have 4 kids I wanted this "our getaway" to be amazing.
So I booked the "Royal Windsor Suite" with the Butler service. I'm telling you that I can't imagine not having a Butler service. They were AWESOME! They made our stay better then even I expected it to be. From reserving pool side chairs every morning for us, to rose pedals on the bed @ night (which was a surprise to even me) since I was the one that booked this whole trip as a surprise to my husband.
This was the MOST romantic trip we have ever been on. This trip even topped our honeymoon 9 years ago. From dinner @ Gordon's (where they brought us dessert on a plate that said "Happy 9th Anniversay") I assuming our butlers told them that it was our 9th Anniversary. To laying in a hammock with my husband all night looking at the stars listening to the waves. We had a couples massage on the pier listening to the ocean underneath us. We planned a "private candlelight dinner on the beach" which was so romantic. Also spent the day over at their private island which was so private it was amazing.
I'm telling you that this vacation was money well spent!
If you are looking for a romantic vacation with your spouse or loved one GO ALL OUT and book the suites that have the butler service it is so worth the money.

Stayed August 2007
6 Thank Momma4Naperville_IL
Springfield, MA
Reviewed 9 September 2007

I went to Sandals Royal Bahamian for my honeymoon. I did extensive research about Sandals and I found that most reviews were very positive. I had some concerns from negative responses that were posted. These concerns were dismissed from the minute we got there. I will highlight the different aspects of my stay.

Room
I chose the Royal Honeymoon Suite with concierge service. The room was very clean and the housekeeping staff was very good about respecting the Do Not Disturb sign. The mini bar was refilled daily and the breakfast room service was a nice luxury. It provided a little extra relaxation for us. The concierge service was also a nice amenity.

The food was out of this world. By far, the quality of the food exceeded my expectations. We were able to try every resturaunt with the exception of Baccarat. This was due to our last minute decision to go there. We were unable to get reservations. I had read about the difficulties to get reservations but I was not concerned. It was not a big problem because we were able to easily eat in one of the other resturaunts.
We did eat at the Crystal Room and getting reservations was not a problem. I think that the Crystal Room and Baccarat are busier on the weekends so if you are going to dine there, make your reservations early. Other than that, every meal we had was phenomenal! We particularly enjoy the lunch buffet at Spices.
The service at every place was excellent. I was particularly impressed with the service at the Crystal Room. We did not find ourselves waiting for long periods to be waited or to recieve our order. I had read about poor service online but we did not experience this at all.

Bars/Drinks
I had read a lot of complaints about the swim-up bars and the service. I found that the service at the swim-up bars was very good. It was not difficult to find a place to sit and the bartenders were very quick to serve. Occasionally, I would see someone taking orders on the beach but this was not a reliable way to get drinks. The drinks themselves are good but small. This is not a big thing due to the fact that you can have as many as you wish. The beer selection was limited to Budweiser and the local brew Kalik. Some of the resturaunts did have additional beers available. For example, the Cricketer's Pub had Guinness and Boddingtons in addition to Bud and Kalik.

Activities/Entertainment
Our whole goal was to simply relax so we did not partake in many of the activities. I did notice though that there was an ample amount of activities throughout the day. We did go to some of the shows in the evening and they were very enjoyable. We chose to avoid the night activities on the island due to the fact that we heard a lot of the guest complaining about the sand fleas there. We talked to several couples that got bit all over from the "Survivor" night on the island. I guess that they did provide insect repellent but it was not 100% effective.
For the water activities, a few words of advice for certified divers. If you are going to do any scuba diving, be sure that you have dove within 6 months of your trip and have your dive log. You are allowed up to 2 boat dives a day but if you have not dove within 6 months, you have to do a dive verification which costs $70.00. I chose not to dive because of this. I am a rescue diver and I thought it was insulting to have to pay $70.00 because I did not have my dive log to prove that I have dove within the past 6 months.
Other than that, there were plenty of water activities that were enjoyable. There are snorkeling trips that included and the snorkeling equipment is provided. I had read that it was not so we brought our own equipment. Most of the equipment at Sandals has been extensively used but it appeared to be functional. We took out a Hogie Cat (mini sail boat) which was a lot of fun.

Overall
The overall experience was excellent. The resort was very clean and the service was great. The dining experience was fabulous and the service was A-one. We were very lucky weather wise, on average it was over 90 degrees. As a fair skinned person, I burned easier than usual. Sunblock is a must if you burn easily.
I only experienced a few bad things during the trip. These are very miniscule things that I figured I would mention. While the resort is supposed to be private, some beach vendors do find their way on the beach. Everyday, there would be women peddling necklaces and guys selling Cuban cigars. I found this to be the only annoying thing about the beach. Once you said no though, they did not continue to bother you. They were very respectful. There were also a few guys with wave runners who would peddle everyday. The wave runners are privately owned and have no affiliation with the resort. I think they charge about $70.00/half hour.
Those are the only bad things that I can think of and as you can see, they are very minimal. There is no need for money at all on the resort. The gift shop does not even take cash. They give you an ID card that charges everything to your account. The hotel places a $400.00 hold your creditcard for an incidental charges that you encounter. This includes phone calls and gift shop purchase. If you are a smoker, you would be wise to purchase cigarettes before you arrive at the resort. A pack of smokes is $6.00 and the selection was very limited.
I am definitely planning to go to other Sandals to check them out. I will also definitely go back to the Royal Bahamian again. I really had a great time and I was able to relax a lot.

Stayed August 2007
10 Thank Hillboy
NJ
Reviewed 7 September 2007

We just got back from a 5 night stay in the Bahamas. We spent 3 nights at the Sandals in Cable Beach, and 2 nights at The Cove Atlantis on Paradise Island, so our review will be a good comparative for those people considering both. Overall, we enjoyed splitting the trip and would plan our next vacation here so that we can again experience both places. More on that later.

ARRIVAL / CHECK IN:
The transfer from the airport to the Sandals is easy and convenient. The shuttle ride took about 15 minutes. Once at the Sandals, there is a brief orientation and you are then told that you have to wait until 3 PM to get your room. We arrived at a quiet time and the place was not crowded - expect to wait until 3 PM regardless of whether there is availability. They do allow you to take your bathing suit, etc. and you can change in the spa so the wait time is not a major inconvenience. In comparison, at The Cove we arrived at 12:15 and were brought to our room immediately, however, as stated, we were not traveling at a busy time, and others complained of having to wait until 5 PM at The Cove during peak travel time.

THE PROPERTY:
The Sandals property is beautiful, and the layout is extremely practical. You do not have to walk far to go anywhere. The pools are gorgeous and only a few steps from the rooms, beach, restaurants and activities (lighted tennis, shuffle board, billiards, watersport center, etc.) The private island was very nice (pretty beach and nice quiet pool), but the boat runs back and forth only once an hour, so it's a little annoying to have to plan your time around that. We got stuck on the island during a brieft thunder storm and fortunately had not eaten lunch yet, so we spent that time eating at Goombay (delicious!) However, there is really nothing else to do on the island so you could literally be "stranded" for an hour. Not a major problem, but we did feel that the boats should run more on a need basis. The lounge chairs at the Sandals really should be upgraded. They often do not snap into place and are a bit uncomfortable.

THE ROOMS:
we booked the cheapest possible room that guaranteed us a balcony (I believe it was the 3rd cheapest overall category.) Our room was on the 3rd floor of the Windsor building and exceeded our expectations based on other reviews we had read. While it was not nearly as nice as the luxurious brand new ocean deluxe room we had at The Cove, the room did not smell, it was very clean, and was a nice size. The bathroom was fine, and the balcony was a nice size. We did not have a view, but that was fine as we did not pay for one. The fully stocked mini-bar was terrific. Though the liquor / beer is not a great brand, the soft drinks and bottled water are - even brand name club soda! Very convenient, and we packed up some of these drinks to take with us to The Cove which saved us a lot of money at a place where we ended up spending over $650 dollars during our 2 day stay! There was one day in both places (Sandals and THe Cove) where we came back to our room before dinner and the bed had not been made. It seems this is an issue that bothers a lot of people. For us, we placed a phone call on our way out and came back to a clean room. Did not impact our vacation at all.

THE RESTAURANTS:
Sandals is the big winner here. We were very impressed with the food. Being from NY, we are used to the food not being as good as at home when on vacation. We set our expectations low as we have been to other all inclusives in Cancun / DR and on cruises where the food was mediocre at best. As far as All Inclusives go, Sandals food was far superior to all others - especially the dinners. We found the food in the Crystal Room, Casanova and Baccarat to be excellent. The lunch we had at Goombay on the island was also fantastic. We were not as impressed with the buffet at Spices or the lunch at Arizonas, but the food was at least adequate everywhere we went. We did not have one bad meal at Sandals. By comparison, we spent $200 dollars on a dinner at Mesa Grill in The Cove which was NOT better than the food at Sandals (I don't care that the chef is famous) it was a complete rip off. We enjoy having wine with dinner, and found the Berringer wine at Sandals to be perfectly fine, though we would have enjoyed a Shiraz selection which was only available at a sur charge. My husband enjoyed Kalik, the island beer, though again we felt that for the price there should be a few more alternatives other that Budweiser. That said, it is again hard to complain about the alcohol relatively when the wine we had at mesa Grill was $15 a glass and did not taste better than the Berringer. Similarly, the mixed drinks by the pool at Sandals were great (in line in both service and quality to what we received at The Atlantis.)

THE ACTIVITIES:
Though we are a young couple in our late 20s / early 30s, we are not into cheesy games, and preferred not to participate in a lot of the activities. We did go on the snorkel trip, which is a nice way to break up the time in the sun. We also enjoyed playing tennis which was great as rackets and tennis balls are provided so you do not need to pack these. One major perk about the Sandals is that the pools stay open all night long. We enjoyed swimming at night when the pool was lit - very romantic - and also enjoyed playing the water basketball in the early evening when the pool was less crowded. At night, we ate dinners late (after 9 so we did not participate go to any of the shows - again - not really our thing.) We preferred to have a few drinks and go for a swim before bed.

CHECK OUT:
Though transfers were included to and from the airport, we expected to have to pay the taxi bill to The Cove after our stay at Sandals. What a wonderful surprise when we found out it was included in the All Inclusive Sandals package at no additional cost and arranged for us! Our luggage was picked up at 11 AM and our private taxi arrived at 12 PM sharp. During the hour overlap we could have used the pools, but chose to play billiards and checkers inside at the gameroom by the lobby so we could watch for our cab.

Overall, our trip was amazing. We had a great time at The Cove too and really enjoyed playing on the slides on the Atlantis property, and after 3 days of All Inclusive, it was nice to have a few days to have a change. I think the Sandals scene probably gets monotonous after a while and would not recommend more than 4 nights there, however, given the ease of transfer to Paradise Island (cab took about half hr) and was on a different part of the island.

11 Thank bonkersNj
Scottsdale, AZ
Reviewed 6 September 2007

Let me start by saying that we found the food to be excellent and the drinks were strong. Our issues have to do with the service of the resort. We had issues with our room on the first day so they moved us. To anyone who has a room that smells musty--ask for another one. We were going to just 'deal with it' until a water pipe broke and flooded our room. We also had issues one night at dinner so the food and beverage manager offered us reservations at Baccarat--only he never made them. So we got all dressed up for nothing. These issues and the way they were handled were not acceptable to us. We paid a lot of money for this vacation and did not feel it was worth it.

We did go scuba diving and had a great time. Be warned--you go on dives based on who is on the boat. If there is a student or an employee that is not certified--you do not do two good dives. On half of our 6 dives, the first dive was 40 ft, the second dive was 15-20 ft. The equipment was excellent though and the dive staff was the best!!

If you spend the money on a butler room, expect to be pampered. We did not book that category and it was very obvious to us that we did not. Butler rooms get the best chairs reserved around the pool, get special treatment at lunch/dinner, etc. We didn't appreciate being ignored while the butler guests had staff tripping over themselves to help them.

Without the issues we have, we would have rated this 3-4 stars. We just can't look past the issues and how the resort followed up. Like I said, the food was excellent, the fitness room was amazing, the Cricketer's Pub had bodington's which hubby loved, the scuba diving was amazing...we won't be back to SRB and don't know if we will ever return to a Sandals because of the difference is how guests are treated--butler vs. non-butler guests.

• Liked — The scuba diving and the variety of beer at the Pub.
  • Disliked — The resort's follow up on issues & how staff treats non-butler guests.
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank UOT
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nassau
Atlantis, Royal Towers, Autograph Collection