“My favourite spot”

Clifton Heritage National Park
Ranked #13 of 129 things to do in Nassau
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Come to CLIFTON and SEE! Experience Culture, Revisit history, Explore Nature, Enjoy Leisure. Home to the remains of Lucayan villages and plantations, as well as the setting to several movies of pop culture such as Jaws and the Bond series. We boast several private beaches and event area for your day getaway, beach picnic, parties and other event. Whether you are here to connect with the past, nature, yourself or your spirit, Clifton welcomes you!
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Food available for purchase, Activities for older children
Reviewed 28 June 2014

I have visited several times and always enjoy it. There is a $10 charge I think which covers a little tour of the remains of the plantation slave quarters and the big house. It's not much to look at but the guides do have some good stories and you may see some wildlife too. Afterwards there is a trail to walk and some largely empty rocky beaches where you can play at being shipwrecked. There's also a wreck that you can snorkel round (plane from a James Bond movie I think), and finally you get to the beach where Jaws 3 was filmed.
There's a small gift shop, a BBQ on Saturdays and nice clean aircon restrooms.
The only negative is the nearby oil refinery which I believe has fairly frequent crude leakages.

2  Thank LollypopSunshine
"deserted beach"
in 5 reviews
"slave trade"

Reviewed 23 June 2014

We visited the site specifically to look at the Sacred space women which is a representation of slaves staring out to sea! we were not disappointed in terms of the artistry but were sobered by what they represented? Clifton is home to derelict slave quarters and the old house. The area is full of history of the slave trade on the island and we felt we should see this.
Tej site however, is so much more than just this, there is amazing history about the origins of the settlers on the island alongside amazing beaches, nature walks etc.
It is very inexpensive to enter, currently $2 and we feel that this should be increased.

3  Thank Traci T
Reviewed 19 June 2014 via mobile

The idea was good that's pretty much all. This place is nice because of the seclusion and the staff seemed friendly and the history of the place. However, my girlfriend and I snorkled at Flipper Beach. After about 10 minutes of snorkeling we realized that we were covered in oil. When this happened we left and consulted with a staff member and filed a nuisance complaint with them, but who knows if they did anything with the documentation. When I asked why nothing is being done to resolve the issue they said it has to to with "the higher ups". One can only speculate what is going on here and I am sure it has something to do with money considering there is an oil drill close by.

Overall, this place was nice to visit and the oil slick makes for a great story. It is a shame because this place could be a really nice day trip. However, I won't go back.

9  Thank Jake T
Reviewed 16 June 2014

I made my first visit the day after three days of rain. When we arrived it looked deserted and knocking on the office door we discovered that it wasn't really open as they didn't expect anyone to come.

They were however happy to let us in for a very reduced fee and, in fact, the recently appointed Director joined us for a stroll around the new woodland area they are making.

As there was no tour guide we decided not to do the trail and instead tried some of the beaches. It was like having our own private desert island, in the hours we were there we saw a small group of snorklers and one other couple.

The Director very kindly arranged for us to have lunch delivered to us on the beach too. For a bargain $6 we had a big pile of chicken wings, rice and coleslaw.

Although we were lucky to have the place to ourselves, I'm told it rarely gets busy and is always peaceful. There are no cruise tour groups.

Apparently there is a BBQ every Saturday, we will be back for that and the guided tour.

2  Thank LollypopSunshine
See more reviews
Reviewed 13 June 2014 via mobile

If you'd like to go swimming through an oil slick, this is your place. We went on June 12, 2014 didn't notice the oil in the water till it was too late. When we first got there I saw a slight film on the water. I thought nothing of it. Oh Ya and we were in flipper beach, we went out snorkeling. I ist say the snorkeling was good, we saw Stuart cove right out past us with snorkelers so it must've been a good spot. But when we swam in, we swam right through an oil slick. I should have taken pictures. Crude oil was all over me and my husband. It even turned his blonde hair black. When a an came up with what looked like a park shirt I asked him what the neck was going on. He got very mad and angry at me. And told me not to talk about it with anyone. He told us to try further down the trail to a different part of the beach. That it isn't they're fault but an oil digger close by. We did go to a different part, and there was oil there too. I have really long curly hair and it took me two hours to wash the oil out. Hurt like a s.o.b too. I am horrified that this is a national park, and the beaches and wildlife are treated this way. I would never go back.

9  Thank Melissa H