“Horrible - Should have stopped after the first 4 letters of the name - JUNK!”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Nassau
Junkanoo Beach Resort
Ranked #22 of 37 Hotels in Nassau
Reviewed 17 July 2014

Bizarre.

Stars give off light that travels over millions of miles and still reaches our eyes. So intensely powerful and bright that their distance traveled is best measured in years rather than distance.

I didn't expect that two and a half stars would not register a SINGLE BRIGHT SPOT.

Our visit to the Junkanoo "Beach Resort" was probably one of the worst hotel experiences of my life. Whether it be the disheveled shanty of a building that the hotel was located in, the laughable state of the rooms, or the completely ambivalent staff, this hotel would have to pay me top dollar to spend another night here. I will recant my experience.

We arrived at the Junkanoo around 9:30pm, after a surprising $30 airport cab fare. We were leaving the next morning at 6:00am, so we just needed a place to crash for the night. The cabbie let us off in a back alley that reminded me of a Rio de Janeiro favela. We stepped into the lobby and knew that this $140/night hotel was not what we had hoped for. The place smelled, was damp, and the front desk staff was less than happy to see us. We checked in and were handed a key for a room on the 5th floor.

We hopped into the elevator in the lobby and it lurched upwards and sounded like it hadn't been serviced since the dawn of time. We left the elevator and proceeded to our room which had an outside entrance on a balcony. A few scantily clad individuals were out having a smoke a few doors down. We hustled inside the room and noticed a few pieces of something on the bed. My girlfriend lead the way, and remarked that the bed "looked wet." At the same moment, her shoe sunk into the tile. Yep, the floor was flooded. The roof had fallen in, and the bed was soaking wet. "Hell no," I said, and we went back downstairs to change rooms.

The desk staff didn't seem surprised or care that our room's ceiling was leaking water and falling. They almost seemed disappointed that we had returned. I wondered how many times they had tried to pawn off that room that night. They set us up with a key to room 101. "Wow, this should be close," I thought. Indeed it was. RIGHT OFF OF THE LOBBY. We yanked the door open which had been painted shut. Dragged our luggage in, and turned on the light. It appeared to be a more luxurious room than the one we were just in, but in reality, it was more like a converted maintenance room.

The shower looked like a plastic bin that you'd find in the back of a 1950s motor home. There was rust all around the bathroom. The room seemed clean, but small ants covered the floor. The window opened up to the main walkway into the hotel. The phone didn't work, so I phoned Dominoes from the front desk. We weren't about to leave our stuff unattended with sirens wailing down the street every 15 minutes. Upon arrival, the delivery man didn't have far to walk to knock on the door - "the front desk tried to call you, but you didn't answer."
"I know, and they know that my phone doesn't work."

We stripped the bed of the comforter not knowing when the last time it was attended to. Slept with one scratchy sheet for our brief 6 hour rest before our next flight. Sirens and traffic horns serenaded us to sleep. Our blissful rest was only interrupted every 30 minutes by screaming people in the lobby who apparently had just left the pool (this was after 11PM). We got out of there early in the morning. We felt bad for anyone who had to stay there any longer.

REVIEW:
-This is NOT a RESORT. It is a DUMP. Do NOT stay here unless you have to stay here briefly.
-DO NOT believe the pictures. I don't know who took those, when they took them, or what other hotel they bought them from, but those are NOT the inside of Junkanoo!
-Please don't swim in the pool. Just don't.
-If you have ear plugs, nose plugs, and a blindfold, you may want to bring them
-If you have a HAZMAT suit, you will need it.

BOTTOM LINE

Please don't ruin your trip by staying in this dump of a hotel. If this is the only way you can afford Nassau, go somewhere else. If this is just a layover stop, prepare for the worst. This hotel is disgusting, makes no effort to be presentable, and preys on tourists in a pinch.

Please, if you value your health, your possessions, and your peace of mind do NOT stay at the Junkanoo "Beach Resort."

Room Tip: Just don't stay here, haha.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Bryson S

Reviewed 15 July 2014

The Junkanoo is not my idea of a resort. I do not stay at 'resorts' so this of little consequence to me but if you do and you expect to stay at a resort I think you will be disappointed. They do have a pool, and towels and lounges are available on the beach but that is as close to a resort as it gets.
This establishment is more of an average hotel. Everything from the grounds, to the lobby. to the rooms is average. The elevator and the weather exposed corridors could use some upgrading but they function as intended. The beach is also OK but not stellar and definitely not up to the standards of the out islands. It is an urban beach and strewn with bits of garbage, the most disconcerting being bottle caps. The city would do good to employ people to clean the public beaches.
There are a couple of things that could use some maintenance. First there are no locks for the in room safes. We stayed in two different rooms and neither had a lockable compartment. Second and this one is a MAJOR safety concern. The fire escape and only secondary exit had red "danger" tape across every exit on every floor. Upon further inspection I am not sure I would step onto the escape, it is made of metal and completely rusted out. If a fire were to block the main stairs it would be a long jump to the ground. This should have been rectified long ago and is now something that needs immediate attention.
The billing is a little deceiving. We were quoted a price on line which looked good and then when you follow through several 'surcharges' are added increasing the price by about 30%. First there is a 'resort' charge, as I said I would not consider this hotel a resort, next there is a housekeeping surcharge, most hotels it is up to the client to leave a tip for the housekeeping staff, and finally there is an electrical surcharge, last time I checked electricity is a cost of doing business and should be included in the price. Anyway be aware.
My last concern is that there is one of the front desk attendants that is grumpy. We stayed here twice in two weeks and ran into this lady twice. She is in complete contrast to the other employees and the rest of the people we met in the Bahamas but she is there just don't judge the other folks by her demeanor if you happen to run into her first.
We also dealt with Kimberley and Shavette at the front desk and both were absolutely super. They were pleasant to talk to and extremely helpful even in the midst for a deluge of patrons in line to check in. Co-dos to both of them. There was also a very helpful maintenance fellow that fetched us all towels when we entered the lobby dripping wet after walking home in a Caribbean downpour.
The rooms were perfectly adequate and clean. We do not normally use AC but the windows are now sealed and there is no fan so AC was the only option. We were able to set it to a reasonable temperature and it did it's job, we were comfortable the entire time.
Breakfast was included in the price of the room. It was a buffet with eggs, waffles and hash browns, toast and bagels, coffee and juice. More than adequate fuel for the morning.
The hotel is nicely situated, close enough to downtown to walk and far enough away so as not to be in the middle of most of the hub bub. The other direction you can easily walk to the Fish Fry. A good place to eat dinner or party till all hours if you so desire.
Both stays we had a room that faced the water and it was nice for us prairie dwellers to wake up to a view of the water, beach and palm trees.
Now, completely aware of what to expect; Would I stay here again? I would phone to see if the fire exit had be replaced and if yes I would stay again. I would just use it as a stopover on my way to one of the out islands and not a long stay but I would have no problem booking here.

Room Tip: The view from the rooms that face the water is nice.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank MurTheExplorer
Reviewed 14 July 2014

My fiance and I went in Nassau to celebrate her birthday. First resort we booked was breezes but i cancelled it due to its location from downtown. Second choice was the hilton, but my fiance stopped me as it was really expensive for you to just sleep in and not really staying on room for a day. So I found junkanoo hotel and stayed in this resort for 6 nights. When we arrived the check in was fine not really busy on that day as we arrived around 5pm. We were assigned in room 205. Upon entering our room the ving card was not working, luckily there was chambermaid and could be a supervisor on the hallway who helped us to get in. When we enter, being a Housekeeper (Sr. Hk Supv. Of prestige hotel in Turks and Caicos) I normaly check the room from every corner, top to bottom, etc. I truly understand that the resort was not a five star hotel but there are some things to improve of.
*Terry linens was set for one person only.so i have to request. "Could be a reason of having shortage as they are doing in house laundry".
*There was a ironing board but iron was missing. So i have to ask for it. Staff was helpful to gave it and it was Tracey in front desk seems to be very commited to her work and professional. She always informed us of what is happening in town or in the hotel as they have lots of activities on that week.
*There was no dnd sign.
*There was no ac remote. (But next day i recieved it without requesting it) nice attention to detail of the housekeeper. (Well done)
*One extra pillow on closet do not have pillow case. (I actualy leave tip and notes on our bed upon leaving the room of all the things i need and when we arrived things are all there) Not saying that you have to give tip to get everything but being a housekeeper i appreciate of what the housekeepers do and great feeling when you recieve something.
*in general the room was really fine. Complete of amenities. Ac working good, hot water was hot enough, only the floor was really need some attention.(scrubbing using the single disc machine needed to use to remove the stain.)

This hotel was a mile away in downtown. Although they do have free breakfast if you want to eat to dunkin or McDonalds you need to walk for 5mins. The server in restaurant need some trainings on how to interact with guest. (Need to greet the guest upon arriving, and give them some information on what you have. Do not eat infront of guest (so many times i saw her eating on the small window next to kitchen interacting with the lady, you cant do that in front of your guest.)
They do offer free internet and 24/7 coffee and tea in the lobby. They do have microwave also in the lobby just in case you wanted to heat something of your take away foods. Ice machine is located at third floor.
They do have booth on junkanoo beach which you can borrow beach towels and sun beds.

Despite of having a long review on this hotel, I will still recommend it for those people who are on a budget vacation and not picky/demanding.

I will visit again this country and stay in this hotel next year.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Jerry L
Reviewed 28 June 2014 via mobile

For the one something per night prices i paid i was really expecting top quality. How ever, from the second i stepped into the shaky elevator i was uneasy. When i opened the room door i was utterly dismayed! THE ROOM WAS TINY!!! Not to mention the smell was terrible. It was as a musty dirty room not cleaned in years smell. You can literally see the dirt on the floor. May i add, there was not a telephone nor an iron and ironing board. There were towels on the room and when i went down stairs to get some i was told there were non left. I WILL NEVER STAY AGAIN!

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank GlennKyle27
Reviewed 13 June 2014

We got mucked around by one of those online booking agencies and ended up staying at the Junkanoo. Well the first night was like Faulty Towers! Only one queen bed to share with my brother! He had to sleep on 3 pillows on the tile floor. No towels, I was requesting them at 10.30pm! Then I couldn't get the shower to work as I turned the knob and it was a pull one!! My fault. Anyway the helpful staff placed us in a lovely corner room with great views and two queen size beds! There are no coffee/tea making facilities or microwaves in the room. There is a very basic breakfast included and a self service coffee/tea making facility in the foyer. There is a lovely pool and you can use the deckchairs on the beach. The position is perfect. Straight across from the beach and only about 1 mile to walk to the centre of town. All in all, for the price I would recommend this hotel, and the staff were helpful and friendly!!

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the corner or facing the beach.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Happycats3
Reviewed 26 May 2014

My review is a bit late, stayed here may 8th to 11th. The location is great just across from the beach and getting beach chairs was not an issue. The beach was nice and calm very relaxing, on the beach like a 2 minute walk is Fat Tuesday if you want that extra buzz. The beach vendors was not at all pushy.

The hotel staff was very friendly and helpful, always smiling and ready to help. I lost my cell phone in an "unofficial cab"one night there took my info in the event someone returned it. It was also safe. We left passports
and money in the room nothing was stolen. The attendants was great.

The breakfast was also good it was real food lol.

Lastly it is not the sandals resort but it had everything we needed and the price value was excellent I really enjoyed my stay and will return again. Also try the Friday night barbecue it was delicious a nice hang or spot with music and freshly made food. They had wifi too signal was good.

Thank you to the staff for a good get away see you guys again soon.

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank Diana2685
Reviewed 6 May 2014

We stayed here last weekend after getting stuck on the island due to bad weather and not being able to fly out. There were a couple events on the island that sucked up all the rooms at the better hotels and we were forced to take a room here. We were a little nervous, checking in especially when the front desk guy gave us the remote for our TV. The rooms were very simple, but here's the thing. Walking in the door, you kind of knew that you weren't at the Atlantis. But the next morning, I told the front desk girl, the room was clean, the AC ice cold and it never made a single rattle usually associated with a unit of that age, the tv worked, the toilet, shower and sink all worked. The sheets were clean, the bed a bit firm and the pillows instead of taking on the impression of my head, left their impression on my skull (in other words, they could have been a bit softer), but otherwise, it was everything a low end hotel should have been and more. And...and, breakfast came with the room and was pretty darn good. Fresh Bahamian bread and a toaster and I'm happy as a clam. There were other offerings, including Trix cereal which I didn't realize how much I missed, as well as tuna fish salad? Also both our rooms came with an ocean view and it's walking distance from señor frogs and fish fry row. So to be brutally honest, if you're looking for luxury, pay and stay at the Atlantis. If you're looking for a room for the night and have $79 plus tax and want to be cool and comfortable, pick the Junkanoo.

Room Tip: Get a room on the 6th floor it's a great view.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends