“They are trying....”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Nassau
Junkanoo Beach Resort
Ranked #22 of 37 Hotels in Nassau
Reviewed 4 August 2014

Really, they are trying to make things better. Renovations going on right now, so hopefully you will have a better experience. But you get what you pay for!!!. Checkin in at 6.00pm, and yet, no towels in the room. The elevator felt like it was gonna fall apart, and while the room was functional, it was just that.... Functional. Make sure you take the remote from the front desk when u check in or else you can't turn on the TV.

I was visited by a cockroach, but fortunately it was a baby....easy to kill.

Breakfast is included, but you only get bread, butter, jam, eggs, pancakes, juice and fruit. That is it.

Room Tip: Pray, just pray.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Alisa W

Reviewed 4 August 2014

Unfortunately there is not much of a resort to speak of here. There is a pool and a restaurant, and a small slice of beach across the street (crossing is a hassle here, and the beach has a lot of broken glass). The staff seemed inconvenienced and wasn't too helpful unless calling a taxi. As far as the room itself, it was one of the worst I've stayed in. There were flies, dirt, a broken phone, a nearly-broken shower, a noisy A/C unit missing a front panel, and a dirty window looking out towards a construction site. The rooms open up to an outdoor walkway which is accessible from street level and doesn't feel too safe. Quite a few noisy and shady characters around the halls. There is security at certain times of the day and you have to wear a wristband to prove that you are staying there. You have to walk about 10 minutes to get to downtown. It's 20-25 minutes from the airport. Spend a little more money and get a nicer, safer place closer to downtown.

Room Tip: Try to get away from the noisier front of the building which faces the street and construction areas...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 29 July 2014

I knew this was not a "resort" and was just looking for a clean, budget friendly place to stay. I regret having to give a poor review since I really liked the staff who were great and made us feel at home. They seem to really be trying hard to do the best with what they have to work with. We liked the location, which is about half way between downtown and the fishfry area. We liked the pool and front area where you can get away from the beach and relax on the property. As stated, the staff was very friendly and helpful. Be advised you have to cross a busy street and go up some steps to get to the beach. It is a smaller beach, often used by the locals, which we also enjoyed. We walked to and from the downtown area both during the day and at night without any major incidents. On to the property -- The hotel is a tired and older property with the typical rust and issues being next to the ocean. I could live with that. However, the property is in desperate need for a thorough cleaning, and a little paint would go a long way to update the place. I did not feel it was a health issue, but clearly a comfort and enjoyment issue. The room floor would turn your feet black walking from the bathroom to the bed. It just seemed that the place has reached such a level of dirty that it is going to take a major effort to clean and bring this back up to acceptable levels for it to be someplace I would enjoy staying. We had a room facing the beach and enjoyed the view. The wifi was usable, but not up to US speeds. The power went out in the whole area, and the hotel did have a generator that allowed us to run our lights and AC. The AC unit was dirty and had broken vent parts, but cooled great. We also enjoy visiting with the Bahamians who were staying there. There is some street noise since it is right by the road leading to down town, but it did not bother me as I expect this noise when I am in the center of the activity zone. I hope they clean this place up because it has a lot of potential for those looking for a budget stay in a nice location with nice local folks, but needs a lot of attention.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 July 2014

Ants on the bathroom counter, both endtables and headboard. Hairs on the bed (not ours) Makeup along with assorted other stains on the pillow cases. No remote control and volume and channel switches missing from TV. (It was explained to us that the remotes are usually stolen) It appeared that tape was never used on any of the painting interior and exterior in the entire hotel. The elevator would not pass inspection for several reasons. The attitude of the front desk and management couldn't have been worse. Bad neighborhood; hotel is across the main drag from the beach and there's a trashy city park to cross before getting to the beach. Loud traffic noise all hours of the night. The hotel sign actually has the beer price on the sign! STAY SOMEWHERE ELSE!

Room Tip: Go to a different hotel.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 July 2014

WARNING, WARNING, WARNING... DIRE WARNING.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Visitors and natives please take heed and stay away from this poor excuse of a hotel. Space would not permit me to list the number of atrocities that have permanent shelter at this dump. Be further warned at the very highest level the GENERAL MANAGER AND FRONT DESK MANAGER are well cloaked in pretentiousness ...after all they are doing guest a favor.....
Careful of the restaurant where sewage seeps into the kitchen...leaks are common throughout the building.....housekeeping services are a often lacking...Seriously this place takes poor service to another depth....real deep!!!

Room Tip: Stay away from room 208. All staff from top to bottom need to have refresher course in hospitality...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 27 July 2014

Our family was traveling last minute for a funeral and chose this resort due toots close proximity to Christ Church Cathedral. This older hotel was obliviously newly remodeled and the rooms were decent but the service was horrible. Not only did we have to ask for fresh towel several times, the room was not serviced until very late in the day and often interfered with our return to the room after along day. The toilet was clogged and it took over two hours to get maintenance and when we needed fresh towels due to the over flowed commode, it took more than four hours. I would not suggest this facility if you are looking for good service, the staff seemed Unengaged to do anything and when you would ask the answer was always the same. I have called and you're next, I heard the front desk tell several guest the same answer when asking for the same things, like an iron.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 July 2014

Bizarre.

Stars give off light that travels over millions of miles and still reaches our eyes. So intensely powerful and bright that their distance traveled is best measured in years rather than distance.

I didn't expect that two and a half stars would not register a SINGLE BRIGHT SPOT.

Our visit to the Junkanoo "Beach Resort" was probably one of the worst hotel experiences of my life. Whether it be the disheveled shanty of a building that the hotel was located in, the laughable state of the rooms, or the completely ambivalent staff, this hotel would have to pay me top dollar to spend another night here. I will recant my experience.

We arrived at the Junkanoo around 9:30pm, after a surprising $30 airport cab fare. We were leaving the next morning at 6:00am, so we just needed a place to crash for the night. The cabbie let us off in a back alley that reminded me of a Rio de Janeiro favela. We stepped into the lobby and knew that this $140/night hotel was not what we had hoped for. The place smelled, was damp, and the front desk staff was less than happy to see us. We checked in and were handed a key for a room on the 5th floor.

We hopped into the elevator in the lobby and it lurched upwards and sounded like it hadn't been serviced since the dawn of time. We left the elevator and proceeded to our room which had an outside entrance on a balcony. A few scantily clad individuals were out having a smoke a few doors down. We hustled inside the room and noticed a few pieces of something on the bed. My girlfriend lead the way, and remarked that the bed "looked wet." At the same moment, her shoe sunk into the tile. Yep, the floor was flooded. The roof had fallen in, and the bed was soaking wet. "Hell no," I said, and we went back downstairs to change rooms.

The desk staff didn't seem surprised or care that our room's ceiling was leaking water and falling. They almost seemed disappointed that we had returned. I wondered how many times they had tried to pawn off that room that night. They set us up with a key to room 101. "Wow, this should be close," I thought. Indeed it was. RIGHT OFF OF THE LOBBY. We yanked the door open which had been painted shut. Dragged our luggage in, and turned on the light. It appeared to be a more luxurious room than the one we were just in, but in reality, it was more like a converted maintenance room.

The shower looked like a plastic bin that you'd find in the back of a 1950s motor home. There was rust all around the bathroom. The room seemed clean, but small ants covered the floor. The window opened up to the main walkway into the hotel. The phone didn't work, so I phoned Dominoes from the front desk. We weren't about to leave our stuff unattended with sirens wailing down the street every 15 minutes. Upon arrival, the delivery man didn't have far to walk to knock on the door - "the front desk tried to call you, but you didn't answer."
"I know, and they know that my phone doesn't work."

We stripped the bed of the comforter not knowing when the last time it was attended to. Slept with one scratchy sheet for our brief 6 hour rest before our next flight. Sirens and traffic horns serenaded us to sleep. Our blissful rest was only interrupted every 30 minutes by screaming people in the lobby who apparently had just left the pool (this was after 11PM). We got out of there early in the morning. We felt bad for anyone who had to stay there any longer.

REVIEW:
-This is NOT a RESORT. It is a DUMP. Do NOT stay here unless you have to stay here briefly.
-DO NOT believe the pictures. I don't know who took those, when they took them, or what other hotel they bought them from, but those are NOT the inside of Junkanoo!
-Please don't swim in the pool. Just don't.
-If you have ear plugs, nose plugs, and a blindfold, you may want to bring them
-If you have a HAZMAT suit, you will need it.

BOTTOM LINE

Please don't ruin your trip by staying in this dump of a hotel. If this is the only way you can afford Nassau, go somewhere else. If this is just a layover stop, prepare for the worst. This hotel is disgusting, makes no effort to be presentable, and preys on tourists in a pinch.

Please, if you value your health, your possessions, and your peace of mind do NOT stay at the Junkanoo "Beach Resort."

Room Tip: Just don't stay here, haha.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple