“Nice when you know what to expect”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Nassau
Junkanoo Beach Resort
Ranked #22 of 37 Hotels in Nassau
Reviewed 16 March 2007

I read some poor reviews before but decided to give it a try anyways - the rate was too good to pass up. The location is not bad and definitely has a local flavor, which was OK with us, but if you want to be in the centre of all the tourist areas (ie paradise island or cable beach) this is not the place to be.

There is a beach right across the street that we enjoyed - it was great to watch the cruise liners coming in and out of Nassau harbour in the morning. There are a few restaurants within walking distance, the restaurant in the British Colonial is great for breakfast and is a couple of minutes walk away. The bus to the fish fry and cable beach is very convenient and cheap; the fish fry is 5 minutes away. Take a cab to paradise island, it is about 15 minutes away in traffic. The straw market and shopping area of Nassau is next to the British Colonial, again very close.

The hotel staff are very friendly people but you must first show them respect (I found that with all Bahamians) otherwise they might appear cold.

The area of the hotel is apparently not good to walk around at night, but this is also the case for the entire island. If you stick to taxis you will be fine.

We were very happy with the stay and the money we saved. Enjoy and relax - that is the island way!

• Stayed: February 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
6  Thank Stevester_M

Reviewed 12 February 2007

First, we stayed for free..PLUS we knew it was 98.00 a night on an expensive island. Right up front, we knew what it was going to be.

Took a pretty darn cold shower every morning..Not the CLEANEST place I've ever been but not the dirtiest by a long shot. Had a view of the harbor and saw the cruise ships coming and going every day. Was on the bus route, took it to Cable Beach for $1.00 each way. Was not hugely impressed with Cable Beach, by the way,we had an OK beach right across from the hotel. I thought the buses were great.

NOT the best area of town at night. I would suggest a cab, We didn't feel real safe walking from Chez Willie's, which is only a 2 block walk..but we are not night-owl partiers so it was OK, with us to be in at night.
We found the front desk staff very nice, but we had to be nice first. After that, eveyone there was exteremly pleasant

(We found all through Nassau, that if we were nice, they were nice. But we had to make the first move, to smile and be polite. Worth it to be nice,always but makes you wonder WHY, I guess tourists must really suck there!)

In short, people, you DO get what you pay for but if have a loving spirit and are not embarassed to let it show, sometimes you get more. I guess it depends on your expectations. We got more than we expected.

• Stayed: February 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
7  Thank dee2673
Reviewed 6 April 2006

We decided to stay here because of the proximity to the fish fry and the shopping area. We only needed a room for one night, so it seemed like a good idea. The reception area was decent, we went to our room and found everything to be dirty and run down. The smell in the room was something that cant be described. I refused to take my shoes off and walk barefoot in the room. The bed creaked and sqeaked everytime you moved, it was hot in the room although the very noisey air conditioner ran the entire night. I would have chosen to skip a shower in the morning if I could have gotten away with it, but I took one anyway. At first there was no water, it rains harder then the water that was coming out. I had my husband look at it, and it seemed as though he fixed it. Little did I know that he didnt really fix it, it just temporarily worked. About the time I get nice and soapy I lose water COMPLETELY!! I turned off the water and waited a few minutes and tried again just to get enough water to rinse before it went out again!!! Oh, brother. As I am drying my hair the light fixture falls off the wall above the mirror. There are hairs that aren't ours everywhere in the bathroom, I was so disgusted, I could not get out of there fast enough. It must be the local hot spot or place to crash for the night-there were doors slamming all night long, at 6:30 in the a.m. a group of Bahamaian girls went down our hall singing a very loud song. And the night we checked in-we went out to dinner and returned around 8:00 p.m. to find the parking lot filled the people from town, partying and drinking. Our flight didn't leave until the evening, so we asked if there was luggage storage and the receptionist hands my husband a key and points to a closet. We open the closet and discover that it is a storage closet for their Christmas decorations and other long forgotten items and it was disgustingly dirty as well. It was the worst experience I have ever had. I would not recommond staying here, even if it is for only one night!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: April 2006
8  Thank travelinfamily
A TripAdvisor Member
Washington DC
Reviewed 27 March 2006

I just got back from Nassau on Saturday (3/25), and I stayed at the Quality Inn my last 2 nights. My first night I stayed at the Comfort Suites on Paradise Island.
Here’s what I did and it worked PERFECTLY -
The Quality Inn is located right in downtown Nassau, within walking distance to the market and bars/restaurants in town. It's a helluva deal for the $99 a night I paid. But what I figured out was that if you stay at the Comfort Suites on Paradise Island you get FULL access to the Atlantis (which is an unbelievable once in a lifetime experience), and you get this access with a very special shiny wrist band that they give you, which is good for the WEEK. SO, I coughed up the dough ($260) for the ONE night at Comfort Suites, and then stayed the last 2 nights of my trip a little ways away at the Quality Inn, and used Atlantis for the remainder of my trip.
The only sucky part of the whole deal was that we had to take the ferry in the morning and a cab at night from downtown to Paradise Island and back, but even that was only $15 a day.
The Comfort Suites is really nice, with huge clean rooms and a free breakfast. The Quality Inn's rooms are MUCH smaller but very clean and the staff was very helpful - no problems whatsoever.
With a little scheming and a pair of $60 round trip tickets on Spirit Air, my girlfriend and I had an AWESOME time at Atlantis for practically peanuts.

• Stayed: March 2006
10  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Rockville Centre, NY
Reviewed 12 February 2006

I do not know how this place could be #12 of 50.

I was assigned room 506. I emerged from the elevator to a dimly lit corridor. There was trash in the hall. I entered the room to find furniture that seemed like it would crumble to the floor upon one touch. The lobby furniture was broken as well. Should have seen this as a sign.

After a long day of travelling, I needed a shower. Well, the shower was not working.I tried to call the front desk to let them know. There was no dial tone. I got really scared at that point.

In the morning, I told Latoya at the front desk about the problems with the room. She was very rude and unprofessional. The maintenance man was fixing the pool when I told her about the problems with the room. She said when he finishes, I will tell him. On the last night, I was moved to another room. This room had an infestation problem, roaches and some unknown bug.

The manager, Shamika Munnings was also rude and unconcerned. Sonya at the front desk offered great service.

10  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 4 January 2006

My husband and I stayed at Quality Inn after Christmas 2005. We found the location to be wonderful because we were able to walk to all the touristy places. The beach in front of the hotel was wonderful, clean and gorgeous. The hotel room was fine for us, small, but clean and very functional. The bathroom was clean as well. The pool was clean and looked very nice, however we did not use it but went to the beach instead. The staff was pleasant and helpful. There were several extra charges added to our room fee, however, the hotel was very up-front about them and we knew what to expect. It was not the best hotel on the island, but it was enjoyable, reasonable rates and very centrally located.
Couple from Florida

• Stayed: December 2005
3  Thank 68lovesitaly
Reviewed 28 December 2005

When we arrived after a long flight, they told us we couldn't stay there, because they had overbooked the hotel!! How could a hotel make such a grave mistake?! After they sent us to the other side of the island (without cab fare), we returned the next morning and demanded a room, since they had previously guaranteed a room for us. The location was actually great, and the next few days were truly enjoyable. On about the fifth day, however, someone broke into our room (which did not have a working safe) and stole $1500 in electronics. Hotel management and the Bahamian police were not responsive. I refuse to stay in any Quality Inns because of this experience

• Stayed: March 2005