“Want to RELAX? Want the beach at your FEET? - YES, then stay at the Sandyport Beach Resort!!!”

Sandyport Beach Resort
Ranked #3 of 37 Hotels in Nassau
Reviewed 31 August 2010

For the first of many future visits...I stayed a full week at the Sandyport Beach Resort with my girlfriend and children (ages 7 & 9), and we had an absolutely FABULOUS time. Despite the fact that there were other guests on the premises, we felt like we had THE ENTIRE RESORT ALL TO OURSELVES!!!...We (especially the children) were able to enjoy the pools from sunrise to sunset EVERYDAY without a crowd of guests. If my girlfriend and I didn't enjoy the beach so much, we could have stayed in there the entire time, LoL. But seriously, we had an opportunity to watch the children play in the pool from our hotel room; which was very cozy - we were Upgraded to a B/C unit which allowed the children to have their own space and privacy for ourselves...(Many thanks to the GM Mr. Vernon Moss, who is simply delightful and strives to exceed your expectations of excellence)...

OUR ROOM - B unit: provides a TV, partial kitchen, Full/Queen sized bed, pull out bed underneath the sofa, kitchenette table, pots, dishes & silverware with a Full bathroom; while the C unit provides a TV, 2 Full/Queen sized beds & Full bathroom.

THE BEACH - is Right and I do mean RIGHT behind the main office. It feels like a Private Beach - full of powdery sands and crystal blue waters as far as your eye can focus.

THE STAFF - Always upbeat and eager to please. Constantly casting welcome and other pleasantries upon you at every opportunity.

NO NEED TO RENT A CAR - The local bus (Jitney) that tours the main strip EVERY 5-10 minutes is only $1.25 per rider, so SAVE YOUR MONEY...

I enjoyed my stay So Much, I'm already planning my next visit; which will be next summer, early February if I'm lucky :D

*** Additional tibits of info ***
The Bahamas is EXPENSIVE All Around for Food/Drinks/Etc due to the import tax of about 45%; so expect that and don't say you were not forewarned.
The famous "Atlantis Hotel" is over-rated, its like a shopping mall on Black Friday or the Christmas Eve --- OVER-Crowded with people, whether your on the beach, waiting in line to ride the water slide, or trying to stroll in the hallways of the hotel to get to the casino. Spend a day or two there (as in a Day-Pass) IF YOU MUST. But its going to cost you $110 per adult & $80 per child over 4. But it is not, and I repeat IT IS NOT a place where you can relax if you have children.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank Vengence
SandyportBeaches, Manager at Sandyport Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 18 October 2010

So pleased to hear you had a FABULOUS time and enjoyed the rest and relaxation that sets us apart. Thank you for passing on many "tidbits" It is so great when guests share their experience. Our team do read the reviews on line and it is so great when our guests mention individuals. Mr. Vernon Moss prides himself on excellence and his guests are at the forefront of his mind. We look forward to seeing you again soon. I do hope you can make it in February it is a wonderful time of year to escape the cold of the North and spend some time on the Beach. Of course anytime is a good time for the beach.

Kind regards

Reviewed 27 August 2010

After reading the past reviews, I was anxious to get to the hotel and inspect the place we would be spending the next four days. I didn't expect that we would be so pleasantly surprised by the welcome we received and the honest friendliness and authenticity of the staff (Cameron and Sharron are amazing!) Once I got to the room- the air conditioner was new and hummed sofly cooling off the room off perfectly, the beds were comfortable and the bathroom was clean. I felt safe staying there and I didnt even use a lockbox (don't get me wrong, I was still cautious but I didnt feel the need to walk around with fear when we left the room). Actually, I felt safe in Nassau overall. Even being out at night walking. The only 2 gripes are the water pressure in the room wasn't great- the water flowed forcefully out of the bottom- but when we pulled the switch it came out like a scared little pup from the top. The second, location. It's further out from downtown than the other hotels like the Wyndham, Sheration, Breezes and while during the day it wasn't so bad because you can go back and forth on the #10 bus- after 7pm when they stop running the taxis charge you anywhere from $15 and up to get to and 'fro. I didn't feel like the taxi drivers were trying to cheat us- the only complaint was we paid $12 from the airport to the hotel- and when we were going back home the taxi driver charged us $18. He wouldn't budge, although I think Sandyport is one of the closest hotels to the airport. Anyways- now that the upgrades and renovations have been made I think Sandyport is a great value. The resort suited our needs- we got peaceful sleep, great information from the staff, and they were very accomodating, even extending our check out time for about 3 hours while we made the best of our last couple of hours on the island. The heated pool was available whenever we wanted to swim- there was no restrictions. We didnt eat at the overpriced restaurant, but it was available and it sits on the hill with a great view of the beach. I would go back there and stay anytime- this time maybe a room with a balcony. I would recommend for solo travelers, families and couples.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TicaMbracingtheGlobe

Thank you for your kind comments about Cameron and Sharron. We pride ourselves on our hospitality. So pleased you enjoyed the A/C units and found everything in your room to your satisfaction. We will look into the water pressure issue.

Good to hear that you found the resort to be great value. We are continuing our special rates through the end of the year. The One Bedroom Suite (with the balcony and view) is a wonderful choice of room for your next stay. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Please note though that our pool is only heated by the sun.

Kind regards

Reviewed 23 August 2010

Sandyport is a very nice place to stay. They have a nice property, which includes two pools (one expertly built and designed for children with slides etc.). They also have recently done work on all of their rooms and air conditioning system to give it a very updated and relaxing experience for their costumers.
They keep the rooms nice and clean with their cleaning crew, and went out of their way to accommodate us, even with things they didn't have to. In fact, my friend and i stayed their for about a week and had some issues afterwards, but the hotel was very quick to clear them up. Thank you Sandyport for giving us a very pleasurable and relaxing time in Nassau, i would definitely stay there again!

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank whywhyk
SandyportBeaches, Manager at Sandyport Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 24 August 2010

Thank you very much for your kind comments regarding Sandyport Beaches Resort. We are working very hard to improve our guest's experience and are so pleased that you are experiencing the difference. We look forward to welcoming you back to Sandyport in the future when we hope we will be even better.

Reviewed 1 August 2010

This was a last minute trip and I didn't check trip advisor until after it was already booked. I agree with most of the feedback given about this "resort".The first night I was locked in my room due to a broken lock. If I left the room I had to bring my property to the front desk to be secured!! I was a single traveler looking for relaxation by the pool with a nice adult beverage. However the "resort" had no restaurant or bar on grounds. What others are saying is true if you want peace and quiet then this is the hotel for you. My room was clean at all times however the couch had stains on it from age. The staff was very friendly. Some of the units had no ac and that's a big problem. They had no activities and to be honest this is a hotel not a resort. Not a good idea for families or single travelers.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled solo

Thank you very much for your feedback regarding the resort. We do pride ourselves on our hospitality and I am so pleased to hear that the staff was very friendly and thank you for pointing out that if you "want peace and quiet then this is the hotel for you." We are certainly a great property for rest and relaxation. We are however close to the Cable Beach strip of hotels where a wide range of night life and activities are available. Sarah is in the process of reinvigorating our concierge and guest activities program and would be happy to assist you before or during your stay with organizing your trip. Almost all activities will pick you up from the resort.

We are not the right hotel choice for spring breakers. Kids do enjoy our slides and the beach that dips into the main pool. We do not have many hotel bedrooms. The majority of the resort is One Bedroom or larger Suites. The Suites are ideal for families as you get a lot more space and a full kitchen for preparing meals. The Studio has a mini kitchen.

I am currently looking into your comment regarding the lock on your door. This should not have happened. I will do a full review of all door locks. Thank you for bringing this to my attention.

REFURBISHMENT

A little update on the refurbishment. The Exterior work on blocks 1-4 is complete as is the A/C project with all A/C units in these buildings brand new and working very well. The Sand on the lagoon beach has been topped up. The volley ball net is up and the pool, pool deck and area are now complete.

We are conscious of the older couches. We are currently awaiting the arrival of new sofa beds and flat screen TV's. We hope to have them in the rooms by the end of the year. Our Hotel Bedroom and the Bedroom in the One Bedroom Suite are each getting a 32" flat screen TV. If these are well received we hope to add them to the rest of the rooms next year.

RESTAURANTS

The resort does not operate its own restaurant but there are many excellent choices at Sandyport. Please note though that at the moment none of the restaurants offer breakfast. There is a supermarket nearby and a convenience store. Here are some details, I have left the web sites out as they are not permitted but most do have their own sites with menu details:

The Beach Club Cafe at Sandyport's ambiance is South Beach modern meets Island Rustic. Stunning Ocean views on the Resort's East Ocean Beach are the backdrop for excellent local seasonal upscale food in a relaxed seaside setting. The fresh pizza from the Wood Burning oven is also a highlight.

The Provence Restaurant is one of the finest restaurants in Nassau under the personal direction of Chef Mark Innocenti; located on the canal front at the Olde Towne in Sandyport. Provence features elegant French Mediterranean cuisine and a Tapas Bar. A hot spot for locals and visitors alike.

The Poop Deck at Sandyport is located on the west Ocean Beach and specializes in local cuisine and fresh seafood. Hog snapper wrapped around baby shrimp, spinach and scallops with a caper butter cream sauce or try their classic "surf and turf" The Poop Deck at SandyPort offers the same hospitality as its older sibling out east in a more elegant atmosphere.

At Barnacles restaurant you can dine out over the water in a simple, fun, casual environment within the Olde Towne and the Cozy Corner Pub and Sports bar makes for an enjoyable evening and casual fare.

Dominos Pizza delivers.

The restaurants of the Cable Beach area are all just a short bus or Taxi ride away.

On Sunday Mornings we also offer a welcome briefing where we tell you about available activities and offer complementary donuts and coffee etc. This briefing is followed by a complimentary return bus trip to the food store.

Thank you for your feedback, we are working very hard to continue to improve our guest experience and appreciate all of our guests thoughts.

Reviewed 6 July 2010

Sandyport Beach Resort was okay, overall the exterior of the resort was kinda run down and they are currently renovating the big pool. The room was great, AC was working beautifully and was very clean. Staff were also pretty wonderful minus some inappropriate come-ons from select staff.

Sandyport itself is a little weird, quiet and gives you the Village of the Dammed Vibe with not much to do. I probably wouldn't go back but for the $100 summer rate it was well worth it :)

• Stayed: June 2010
SandyportBeaches, Manager at Sandyport Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 13 July 2010

Thank you very much for your feedback regarding the resort. I am pleased to say that as of today the Resort's main pool is now back open and looking fantastic.

The exteriors of the building are undergoing major work. We have completed the replacement/ repair of all wood work; are halfway through the masonry and have started to paint the exteriors. We are also topping up the sand at the pool/ lagoon beach area and the toilets by the pool have had a makeover.

On Saturday we re-hired a fabulous employee to reinvigorate our concierge and guest activities program. I hope that you will find that we will continue to retain our quiet, serene feel while offering a lot more for our guests to do. On-site the Volleyball net goes up this week in its new spot and the outdoor table tennis and games area will be set up.

Regarding our staff making inappropriate comments I would appreciate if you could contact us directly. I would like to make sure that we take appropriate action so that this does not happen again.

So glad you found value in our Summer Sale and that your room was great. We are really pleased with the new A/C units. Last building being completed as we speak.

Reviewed 5 June 2010

We were a little concerned when we booked our stay at the Sandy Port because of such mixed reviews. We stayed at this cute condo May 22-29, 2010. The only negative comment I will make is the maid service could spend more time wiping down cupboards (felt sticky) and walls (a couple of dirty spots). The big pool was being remodeled but we used the two smaller ones. Some of the cement on the pool rim was broken, this was not a big deal. The pools were clean and never crowded. FYI- the pools are too shallow for slides...be careful to hold your legs up !! Air conditioning worked well and plenty of ice for our tropical drinks ! I would recommend this hotel if you like a nice quiet place to stay after being in downtown Nassau all day.
The buses quit running around 7pm - 8pm. This never posed a problem for us. If we stayed out late, we just caught a taxi back for $10.00 (for all 3 of us). I used the computer in the main lobby to check my email..no problems. The staff was friendly and there is a security guard at the entrance and a security person driving around in a cart during the evening. One of my friends has a disability and the person driving the cart was so nice to pick her up each evening we returned and take her to the room (including groceries)..very nice and helpful each time. There is a little store around the corner from the resort..basic things. The bigger grocery stores you can reach by bus #10...great bus system by the way... $1.25 each way.
We had a very pleasant stay at this resort. The grounds are maintained and nice. New flowers planted and plenty of palm trees. This is not a fancy place but very nice. I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with friends
SandyportBeaches, Manager at Sandyport Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2010

We are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for all of your positive comments and for noticing the improvements that are underway at the resort. We are under going an extensive refurbishment program and trust and hope that we will continue to improve. Thank you for your comment regarding the pool rim. We will have this rectified as part of our Pool refurbishment which is happening right now.

Reviewed 17 May 2010

We did not have air condition for almost 3 days and thermostate showed 83 degrees inside. I felt like not enough effort was put into getting it fixed right away. Unit furniture was old and worn. The adult pool did not have stairs to climb out. This resort is in need of lots of repair and upgrades.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank rsmithsos

We would very much like to apologize for any inconvenience experienced during our guest's stay. We are listening and I can confirm that Sandyport Beaches Resort is currently undergoing an extensive refurbishment program. We are 75% complete with replacing the air-conditioning units. We have closed down the main swimming pool for a complete refurbishment and will re-open the pool in early July. Many items have already been replaced with more underway. The children's pool and slides have already re-opened and look great. The whole property is getting a makeover inside and out. We would like to thank our guests for their detailed comments which are all being attended to. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future and exceeding your expectations. Stay now and ask for a refurbished room.

Sandyport Beaches Resort

Also consider these accommodations in or near Nassau
Compass Point Beach Resort
Grand Hyatt Baha Mar
#2 of 37 in Nassau
Melia Nassau Beach - All Inclusive
British Colonial Hilton Nassau

Been to Sandyport Beach Resort? Share your experiences!