“Be prepared to wait....and wait”

Melia Nassau Beach - All Inclusive
Ranked #7 of 37 Hotels in Nassau
Reviewed 24 March 2014

We have stayed in the Bahamas before but this was our first stay at the Melia. Having stayed in Melia hotels elsewhere, we at least expected good service and good value. This was sadly not the case at Melia Nassau. Our hopes were high when we first arrived as the hotel location is fantastic, the lobby is lovely and the outdoor pool areas are impressive. After arriving early in the day and waiting over 40 minutes to check-in, we went to the beach until our room was ready. We "checked back" after lunch and were told room cleaning was "in progress" and that our room would be ready within the hour. We came back at 3:30, waited in line for another 15 minutes and were told that they did not want to give us a key "just in case" the room wasn't ready. As it was now almost 4:00 pm, we said that waiting longer was not acceptable and were given a room "upgrade" on the ground floor. The room was okay (nice but nothing special) but the carpeting (yes, carpet in a beach resort - probably needs an update?) was torn in several places. The room did have a lovely terrace but did not have patio furniture so that it could be enjoyed. We ended up borrowing chairs and a table from an obviously empty room next to us. The other issue with the room was the unpredictability and often unavailability of hot water in the shower! The buffet restaurant, in my opinion, offered tasty food and a good variety of options although nothing is hotter than lukewarm. The real problem with the buffet is the service. One morning for breakfast, we waited for 35 minutes to be seated. 20 minutes of that time, we stared at no less than 6 tables that were unoccupied but not yet cleaned. Even when seated, we usually had to wait to have a drink order taken, although they dropped off the bill before we had even started our salads. Dinner service is definitely much better but breakfast (especially when you wait 25 minutes for coffee) was very frustrating! And the waiting continued at the pool bar, where a 15 minute drink is the standard. They only have one side of the u-shaped bar stocked so there is a lot of running around and not a lot of customer service happening. Also, although there was usually 5-6 men behind the bar, only 3 of them actually seem to make drinks. Part of the problem with this hotel is that even when you are all-inclusive, you have to wait and sign a check for each and every drink or meal, slowing things down even more. Seeing the prices, I am not sure how anyone could afford anything other than the all-inclusive plan. Examples of prices include $21.85 for a hamburger at the beach BBQ (with no sides), $25 breakfast buffet (including gratuity) and $3.00 water (500 ml). Seeing these ridiculous, obnoxious prices did not make me feel like I got a good deal, rather it made me feel that the hotel really is just trying to take advantage of their guests. Finally, we booked this hotel in part because we enjoy the Crystal Palace Casino for night-time entertainment. It was therefore extremely disappointing to find that all of the table games were closed for the week - no explanation, just closed. 2 blackjack tables in the Melia lobby were no alternative as they were packed and the lobby itself was extremely noisy. While the Bahamas is a beautiful place to visit, Melia Nassau is not. The service is atrocious and waiting for absolutely everything is a constant frustration. I expected more from the Melia chain and was very disappointed. We will not stay here again.

Stayed: March 2014
8  Thank Connie O
GExperience_MeliaNB, General Manager at Melia Nassau Beach - All Inclusive, responded to this reviewResponded 27 March 2014

Connie O,
Thank you for choosing the Melia Nassau Beach Hotel for you stay in Nassau, Bahamas and for your continued loyalty to the Melia brand. I am sorry that you did not receive the passion for service and memorable experience that you have come to know and love from the Melia Hotels. We are continuing to work with our associates to ensure that our guests get the best service and experience possible when visiting us.

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you again in the future.

Andrew Tilley,

Reviewed 24 March 2014

We spent 8 days at Melia. It has some pros and cons and overall is an okay place to stay. If you're expecting the Ritz, you will be disappointed. If you're looking for a great location, great beach and a clean room, you'll be fine here.

Pros
Great location
Awesome beach
Some great staff members
Aqua- great restaurant

Cons
Towels and washcloths- they seem to be in short supply
Entertainment- nonexistent. They had 2 shows while we were there but they weren't much to speak of. The spanish singer in the lobby 7 of the 8 nights we were there has got to go. I understand that it's a spanish chain but you're in an english speaking country.
Food- hit or miss, didn't get much Bahamian food
Drinks- Bartenders are not versed in cocktails.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank CTmacan

CTmacan,
Thank you for choosing the Melia Nassau Beach Hotel for your Bahamas vacation. I am glad you found our awesome beach, Aqua restaurant and great location to be enjoyable. I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you again in the future should your travels lead you back to Nassau.

Reviewed 24 March 2014

Stayed 3/17- 3/22. Check in was easy. Arrived early around 10:30 am, no lines to deal with. Got room right away. Had all inclusive option and room with fantastic pools and ocean view on 6th floor. Other than worn out carpet room was great. Great Wi-Fi access in lobby, pool area and out on beach but not in rooms which was a bother. Nicely kept grounds and excellent beach. Loved the beach!! Service was fair. Room didn't have a coffee maker and it took 4 phone calls to front desk and number of conversation with maids on floor to get it after two days. Buffet was good with Vegetarian options. Service at Market Place, Grille Restaurant and Pool Bar varied from warm and friendly to being ignored on occasion. The beach was easily the best part of this resort.Easy trips to downtown with the bus which we availed from front of the resort. All inclusive is way to go based on bills and charges for meals which we signed off on. A couple more specialty restaurants would have been nice. No information on Spa, Casino or Gym was in the rooms or provided to us when we checked in. I would rate our overall experience better than other reviews left here earlier this year. Seems like the management has been paying attention to make better some of the negative issues mentioned on prior reviews. We enjoyed our time on the island and the resort.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Melia Hotels International
3  Thank Anasua R
GExperience_MeliaNB, General Manager at Melia Nassau Beach - All Inclusive, responded to this reviewResponded 26 March 2014

Anasua R,
Thank you for choosing the Melia Nassau Beach hotel for your time in the Nassau, Bahamas. I am happy to hear that your enjoyed our comfortable guestrooms, beautiful beach and pool, and buffet. I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you again should your travels lead you back to the beautiful island of Nassau.

Reviewed 24 March 2014

We stayed at the Melia 3/21 - 3/23 for our anniversary. We booked the all inclusive and had an excellent room, great food at the Buffet and enjoyed our whole vacation. The buffet's chefs cooked excellent food. We experienced great service. Occasionally had to wait a 10 or more minutes for a table but it was well worth it. We didn't to the Italian restaurant because the buffet had the best selection. Pools clean and enjoyed the whirlpool. Service at pool wet bar could have been faster but otherwise, great. There was generally music playing most of the time. We will book our next Nassau vacation at the Melia.

Room Tip: Get the all-inclusive booking otherwise, meals are very expensive.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank salsop54

salsop54,
Thank you for sharing your experience with us here at the Melia Nassau Beach. I am happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and that you plan to visit us again. We cannot wait to welcome you again for another memorable experience.

Reviewed 24 March 2014

My husband and I (in our late 50's) booked a premium ocean view room through Cheap Caribbean. We had room 801 in the East Wing. We arrived at the hotel 15 minutes after catching one of the many taxis at the airport ($20.00 for 2 people plus tip). We arrived at the hotel at 12:30 pm. There were 4 parties ahead of us and check in took 15 minutes total. The bellman took us up to our room (stepped off the elevator and our door was the first one in line) and showed us how to work the sliding glass door. The view was tremendous! The room was very clean, but we did notice there was no mini fridge, just a coffee maker and some warm bottled water. We checked and discovered that we did not have ANY towels. We also had a nice balcony with a table but no chairs. Room was very clean with modern furniture, but pillows were very lumpy. We returned to the lobby to speak with guest services on our way to lunch. We asked for 2 chairs for the balcony, all towels, and 2 extra pillows. When we returned to our room, we were fully stocked with towels and facecloths and two wicker outdoor chairs but no pillows. Two phone calls and several hours later we did receive our extra pillows.

The interior of this hotel is mostly updated and in decent repair. The exterior, while not horrible, is definitely in dire need of maintenance and upkeep. Cracked plaster, chipped and missing tiles and the landscaping need improvement. This could be a 4 1/2 star hotel with the right management. It is a well know fact that any facilities with long term exposure to salt, sand and weather take some grueling punishment and need constant attention. This needs to be addressed asap here.

As to the service, as many have said here and applies to pretty much all of the Caribbean, there way of life is slower. As Americans, we should not expect the native people to behave as we do or as we would like them to. That being said, we did notice many of the staff whispering to each other or outright berating each other in full view of guests. This may be a result of the change of ownership, and will become less noticeable as the transition winds down. The staff's attitude ranged from genuinely friendly to fake smile and greeting. Service at the beach bar was very slow despite 5 to 7 bartenders. This leads me to my one and only very large complaint with this resort.

At every single bar and/or restaurant, I was very dissatisfied with the drink selection. My first encounter was with the beach bar. I asked for a menu or listing of the mixed drinks. I was told they did not have one, and never saw one there for my entire stay. I asked for a Hurricane, which I was told they did not know how to make. At the lobby bar, I found a menu with a drink listing. I ordered three different drinks, and each time could not get the drink I ordered! First excuse was they were out of one of the ingredients, second was they did not know how to make it, and third was they did not carry one of the liqueors needed! Really?!!! It is on the menu and you don't carry it or know how to make it??? This was repeated in the Italian restaurant, buffet and grille as well. In my opinion, there is no excuse for this!

The restaurant meals ranged from average to very good. Some items on the buffet were not kept hot enough, and the Italian restaurant was mostly seafood, which neither my husband or I care for. The bread with the oil dipping sauce was delicious! The steak at the grille was excellent. The buffet had many stations empty (as in nothing being prepared there, not as in running out of food) that would have provided some much needed variety. As mentioned before in many reviews, no top shelf liquor or any beer variety at all other than the local Kalik. Not a big problem for us, we are not big drinkers anyway. The signing of the check when you have a (paper) bracelet must be some sort of food and beverage tracking for the parent company, but is a pain when you have to wait for the staff to bring it, even when you are just getting a drink. There is a Starbucks in this hotel that is not part of the all inclusive. We aware when you check out at 11 am if you have a later flight as we did you cannot eat after you check out. We used the computer and printer across from the Starbucks to check into our departing flight and print our boarding passes (free).

The beach was very pretty but the water was cold at first. There are several coral reefs to snorkel around, but other than a starfish and the occasional minnows and other fish not much to see. There was a very minimal amount of trees and huts that provide shade. We had no problem exchanging our towels, there was a plentiful supply available whenever we needed them.

Again as others have stated, the No 10 bus stops right in front of the resort from 6:00 am to 6 pm hang on for the ride of your life for $1.25 each way! Lots of shopping in town from straw bags and t shirts to high end perfume and diamonds. Horse drawn carriage rides are $15 per person, cash only. Go to the Queen's Staircase and Fort Fincastle. Check out Ardestra Gardens and Zoo too! We took a taxi to Paradise Island ($26 with tip), gawked at Atlantis and all the spring breakers, saw the beach and did some shopping. We took a taxi back over the bridge for $4 each and the 10 bus back to the resort.

In conclusion, you get what you pay for. I am sure once Melia gets this resort fully renovated and functioning, the price will escalate. If you have a limited budget and want to see this island it might be worth it, as it was for us.

Room Tip: We had room 801, very fast elevator to 1st floor walk right out to beach. Fantastic view from balco...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
7  Thank cbshopper

cbshopper,
Thank you for choosing the Melia Nassau Beach Hotel. I am sorry you did not have the best stay possible with us. We appreciate your comments and they have been shared with our team in a effort to come up with solutions so that these issues you have mentioned do not continue to happen.

Once again thank you for staying with us and I hope you visit us again and give us the opportunity to regain your confidence in the resort.

Reviewed 23 March 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Melia for our Honeymoon/wedding. We received terrible service in every dine in a the resort. Long lines with several clean tables, items on the menu were not in stock, long wait times to receive food/drinks and broken things in our room.

The worst part was the waiting. If you wanted a drink from the pool bar, you would wait an incredible amount of time despite the fact there were 5 bartenders with their backs to you. Room service took close to two hours. We were quoted 40 minutes. We made reservations and even though several tables were clean, we stood for 30 minutes waiting to be seated. Once seated, we waited an additional 25 minutes to get our bottle of beer and a soda.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Melia Hotels International
6  Thank Erica E
GExperience_MeliaNB, General Manager at Melia Nassau Beach - All Inclusive, responded to this reviewResponded 24 March 2014

Erica E,
Please accept my apologies for the service you received. What you have described is certainly not what we strive to provide our guests and I totally understand your frustrations. Your comments will be shared with our management team for discussion and improvement. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience it is truly appreciated.

Reviewed 23 March 2014 via mobile

Our stay at the melia started off great. I was travelling with two of my friends and was very excited when we walked into a very nice looking lobby. We were early for our check in so we were offered towel cards which was great. We went onto the beach and the pool and beach were amazing!

As we were walking to our rooms we could already tell that unlike the lobby the rest of the hotel was very dated and needs a renovation! The elevator was a 2 minute walk from our room which is completely ridiculous! There was food in front of a couple of the rooms from room service and that was sitting in front of the rooms until the next day which is disgusting. I took a shower without looking for towels first since I assume there would be towels there except that when I got out there was only a face towel for me to use. We called downstairs and asked for towels and had to call back 20 min later because nobody came. They told us someone was on the way up and we didn't see anybody for another 15 minutes. I guess it must have been that long walk from the elevator to our room that took them so long. When we decided that we wanted some coffee from the in room coffee machine we opened it to find a dirty tea bag in there. We didn't even bother at this point. We're not sure how well our room was really cleaned considering it really didn't seem like it was cleaned at all except for our beds being made.
There is no wifi in the rooms and for the money that you pay to stay here you would expect that there is at least wifi and a towel to use after a shower.

This hotel is not worth the money and is not up to the standards of the melia brand. The hotel rooms need a renovation and the staff needs a training on hygiene. If you don't care about your room, whether or not you have the necessities there or how clean your room is and only care about a great pool and beach area, then this is the place for you. Otherwise, this place is a ripoff and not worth the money!

• Stayed: March 2014
7  Thank Kaff3in3

Kaff3in3,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We truly appreciate when our guests tell us about their time with us as this helps us to better the services the offer to our guests and resolve any issues we may have. Your comments will be shared with our team for discussion and improvement.

You will be happy to know that the hotel will be undergoing renovations this year and I hope you decide to visit us again once they are done.

Once again thank you for staying with us.

Andrew Tilley

Also consider these accommodations in or near Nassau
Atlantis, Royal Towers, Autograph Collection
British Colonial Hilton Nassau
Hotel Riu Palace Paradise Island
Hotel Riu Palace Paradise Island
#12 of 14 in Paradise Island

Been to Melia Nassau Beach - All Inclusive? Share your experiences!