“What a relief,”

Ranked #6 of 37 Hotels in Nassau
Weeki Wachee, Florida
“What a relief,”
Reviewed 26 March 2014 via mobile

After booking this hotel we started to read the negative comments and were concerned about our choice.
We arrived for our long week end saturday night, and were greeted by very friendly staff, our room was not ready how ever we were offered alternative rooms, I choose to stay with my king bed with ocean view. The room was a short walk about 3-4 mins form the elevator but the view was worth it. The room was very clean, we requested our room cleaned the next day and it was done, the buffet breakfast was $25 each including tax and tip, there was a good selection and it was all fresh too. Most evenings there is entertainment in the main bar area, typical of what to expect on vacation . The drinks are around $10 for a mixed drink, this is the same where ever you go on the island, remember you are in the Bahamas and there for every thing is done on island time ! The grounds were well kept and the pools were very clean,and you can walk straight on to the white sandy beach,from the hotel pool areas there is also a wet bar, I never experienced a long wait for any thing, of course with the volume of people there you may wait a couple of minutes for service, but all in all very nice, all the staff were friendly and we checked in and out in no time. The bus stop is right out side and will take you into town for $1.25 each way, but the buses stop running at 6.30 , and a taxi will cost you around $20 for the same ride. There is a daiquiri shack across from the hotel and well worth the visit, all drinks are made with fresh fruit and come with or with out liquor, they also sell water at $1 compared to the hotel $2.75. The casino was quite for most of our stay but has a nice bar, so if the main bar is busy, go to the casino and there is no wait, again great staff with lots of local knowledge, I am just so pleased that my experience was not the same as some of the other reviewers it does seem the management have taken note of problems and are working to correct them, I would come back for and longer stay !

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank richard g
GExperience_MeliaNB, General Manager at Melia Nassau Beach - All Inclusive, responded to this review, 27 March 2014
Richard g,
Thank you for choosing the Melia Nassau Beach Hotel and for taking the time to share your experience. I am thrilled you enjoyed your stay with us and I am so happy to hear that you will be visiting us again. We cannot wait to welcome you again for another memorable vacation in the beautiful Bahamas.

See you again soon,

Andrew Tilley,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,228)
  • Polish first
Cumming, Georgia
Reviewed 25 March 2014 via mobile

we like many others booked at Wyndham and was put in the Melia. The hotel seemed newer and the rooms nicer so we did not mind. When you check in, plan to wait and wait unless you are the lucky few. The service at the front desk was pretty bad but the maintenance guys were great. The bar and resturant poolside are ok but very expensive. There is a strip mall about 10 minutes walking from the hotel. They have a burger king, dairy queen, and a deli. There was also a great italian place across the street that has great food and well priced. The rooms were pretty nice and very clean so no complaints there. The views from all rooms in the Melia seem good and they all have a nice balcony. No fridge and super small ice bucket so get a cheap cooler (or bring a soft side cooler) so you can buy drinks at the store located downstairs by the casino, or at the gas station. At the bar, sodas are $3 for a can. There was a vending machine on the 5th floor, but it would only take coins. I searched for another one since it would not accept bills and could not find one. I went to the front desk and asked her which floors had vending machines. She told me she was not allowed to tell me where they were located and to buy one at the bar for $3. That upset me pretty bad when they seemed to not care about their guests, only the money. All in all, it is not a bad place to stay. The pool at the Wyndham with the slide is closed so if you have kids be aware. The only heated pool is the one with the bar on the end. I would recommed reserving at Wyndham, and you should get put at the Melia which is nicer. They share all the same ammenties and casino. If you gamble, i highly recommed waiting until you get to the Atlantis. The machines at Casino Palace do not pay out near as well as the Atlantis. Remember, they do not have gambling laws over there so they set the slot machines at very bad odds. Just set your limit and have fun! Also read other reviews about taking a bus vs a cab. If you plan some, it is not that bad. Be firm with the locals and they won't bother you too much.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Stustravels

Travellers are raving about these Nassau hotels

Grand Rapids, Michigan
Reviewed 25 March 2014

I just had my wedding here on 3/22/14 and it was the perfect place for a beach wedding. We had our wedding on the west beach which was right outside of our amazing first floor suite. A Great place for me to getting ready for the wedding and for our friends and family to visit. We had our cocktail hour and reception at the West Beach Pavilion, with the Falcons live music. I highly recommend using wildflowers for decorations and flowers everything looked amazing, the falcons also did a great job for the live band. Yasmine was our wedding coordinator and did a fantastic job, she made sure everything was perfect for our wedding.
My overall impression of the hotel was that the price was reasonable, the hotel could use some improvements in the hallways but the rooms were clean and well kept. There were long lines everywhere in the hotel, this did not seem to bother us much as we did not pay for the all inclusive. They had entertainment every night, great music in the lobby bar and dancers so I am not sure what these other people have complained about in the recent other reviews.
We ended spending the rest of our vacation at the Breezes All Inclusive and we wish we would have stayed at the Melia the entire time.
I think you get what you pay for so if you are expecting 5 star service then spend the extra money to stay at the Sandals.
There are several good places to get daquires outside the hotel, I would recommend taking the bus downtown. The J W Distellery was a fun quick trip. It was nice to check out Atlantis for the day it rained, but you can tour the main parts and the aquirium for free do not pay for the $45 per person tour.
I would recommend the Melia and I plan on returning

Room Tip: First floor room with walkout patio west beach.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Liz B
Liz B,
Thank you for choosing us to share your special day with you. I am so happy to hear that your wedding day was in fact a perfect one. It is also great to know that you had the chance to explore the rest of the island. I will be sure to share your praises with Yasmine, I know she will be happy to hear that you were pleased with everything.

I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you and your husband again for your anniversary!

Congratulations!

San Francisco
Reviewed 25 March 2014

If I had paid full price for this hotel, I would have been really upset (Groupon deal). I was solicited on the beach the entire stay, multiple times an hour. Management was nonexistent. In fact, there is not a manager on staff at night, which I think is a major liability. The staff would often try to offer me better deals when their managers were not around. Their towel policy is super annoying (you can't get a towel without a card, which the front desk did not give us). Front desk is a super slow check-in process (we waited 45 minutes). Pools are not heated, which is a bummer in March. Some of the hotel is pretty cool, like the Aqua restaurant and the bar rocks on the main level (live music at night, we met some great people, etc.). If you don't do the all inclusive trip, then expect to pay $30+ per meal for 1. I often would walk away from dinner having a $160+ tab for 2. It is a beautiful stretch of beach. The outside bar is nice. The hotel wasn't infested with Spring Breakers, like some of the others in Nassau, which was nice. The building looks like they tried to paint to cover up poor craftsmanship. The biggest heart ache is the people. They came off lazy and angry and not interested in serving the guests. After staying on Nassau, it seemed the consensus of the locals and guests that Nassau was not the greatest island in the Bahamas (maybe the worst), and we should have picked another island. Despite that, the Bahamas is beautiful, the sun is gorgeous, the salt water is healing, so we had a good time. If Melia corporate reads this, send some 24/7 management to the hotel to get on the right track. It is a nice piece of property and has potential.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Melia Hotels International

6 Thank Ian K
Ian K,
Thank you for staying with us and for sharing your experience. Please know that we do have managers on duty 24/7, however I am sorry that you did not receive the most welcoming service possible while you were here. Your comments will be shared with our management team for discussion and improvement.

Reviewed 24 March 2014 via mobile

We have stayed in the Bahamas before but this was our first stay at the Melia. Having stayed in Melia hotels elsewhere, we at least expected good service and good value. This was sadly not the case at Melia Nassau. Our hopes were high when we first arrived as the hotel location is fantastic, the lobby is lovely and the outdoor pool areas are impressive. After arriving early in the day and waiting over 40 minutes to check-in, we went to the beach until our room was ready. We "checked back" after lunch and were told room cleaning was "in progress" and that our room would be ready within the hour. We came back at 3:30, waited in line for another 15 minutes and were told that they did not want to give us a key "just in case" the room wasn't ready. As it was now almost 4:00 pm, we said that waiting longer was not acceptable and were given a room "upgrade" on the ground floor. The room was okay (nice but nothing special) but the carpeting (yes, carpet in a beach resort - probably needs an update?) was torn in several places. The room did have a lovely terrace but did not have patio furniture so that it could be enjoyed. We ended up borrowing chairs and a table from an obviously empty room next to us. The other issue with the room was the unpredictability and often unavailability of hot water in the shower! The buffet restaurant, in my opinion, offered tasty food and a good variety of options although nothing is hotter than lukewarm. The real problem with the buffet is the service. One morning for breakfast, we waited for 35 minutes to be seated. 20 minutes of that time, we stared at no less than 6 tables that were unoccupied but not yet cleaned. Even when seated, we usually had to wait to have a drink order taken, although they dropped off the bill before we had even started our salads. Dinner service is definitely much better but breakfast (especially when you wait 25 minutes for coffee) was very frustrating! And the waiting continued at the pool bar, where a 15 minute drink is the standard. They only have one side of the u-shaped bar stocked so there is a lot of running around and not a lot of customer service happening. Also, although there was usually 5-6 men behind the bar, only 3 of them actually seem to make drinks. Part of the problem with this hotel is that even when you are all-inclusive, you have to wait and sign a check for each and every drink or meal, slowing things down even more. Seeing the prices, I am not sure how anyone could afford anything other than the all-inclusive plan. Examples of prices include $21.85 for a hamburger at the beach BBQ (with no sides), $25 breakfast buffet (including gratuity) and $3.00 water (500 ml). Seeing these ridiculous, obnoxious prices did not make me feel like I got a good deal, rather it made me feel that the hotel really is just trying to take advantage of their guests. Finally, we booked this hotel in part because we enjoy the Crystal Palace Casino for night-time entertainment. It was therefore extremely disappointing to find that all of the table games were closed for the week - no explanation, just closed. 2 blackjack tables in the Melia lobby were no alternative as they were packed and the lobby itself was extremely noisy. While the Bahamas is a beautiful place to visit, Melia Nassau is not. The service is atrocious and waiting for absolutely everything is a constant frustration. I expected more from the Melia chain and was very disappointed. We will not stay here again.

Stayed March 2014
8 Thank Connie O
Connie O,
Thank you for choosing the Melia Nassau Beach Hotel for you stay in Nassau, Bahamas and for your continued loyalty to the Melia brand. I am sorry that you did not receive the passion for service and memorable experience that you have come to know and love from the Melia Hotels. We are continuing to work with our associates to ensure that our guests get the best service and experience possible when visiting us.

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you again in the future.

Reviewed 24 March 2014

We spent 8 days at Melia. It has some pros and cons and overall is an okay place to stay. If you're expecting the Ritz, you will be disappointed. If you're looking for a great location, great beach and a clean room, you'll be fine here.

Pros
Great location
Awesome beach
Some great staff members
Aqua- great restaurant

Cons
Towels and washcloths- they seem to be in short supply
Entertainment- nonexistent. They had 2 shows while we were there but they weren't much to speak of. The spanish singer in the lobby 7 of the 8 nights we were there has got to go. I understand that it's a spanish chain but you're in an english speaking country.
Food- hit or miss, didn't get much Bahamian food
Drinks- Bartenders are not versed in cocktails.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank CTmacan
CTmacan,
Thank you for choosing the Melia Nassau Beach Hotel for your Bahamas vacation. I am glad you found our awesome beach, Aqua restaurant and great location to be enjoyable. I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you again in the future should your travels lead you back to Nassau.

New York City, New York
Reviewed 24 March 2014

Stayed 3/17- 3/22. Check in was easy. Arrived early around 10:30 am, no lines to deal with. Got room right away. Had all inclusive option and room with fantastic pools and ocean view on 6th floor. Other than worn out carpet room was great. Great Wi-Fi access in lobby, pool area and out on beach but not in rooms which was a bother. Nicely kept grounds and excellent beach. Loved the beach!! Service was fair. Room didn't have a coffee maker and it took 4 phone calls to front desk and number of conversation with maids on floor to get it after two days. Buffet was good with Vegetarian options. Service at Market Place, Grille Restaurant and Pool Bar varied from warm and friendly to being ignored on occasion. The beach was easily the best part of this resort.Easy trips to downtown with the bus which we availed from front of the resort. All inclusive is way to go based on bills and charges for meals which we signed off on. A couple more specialty restaurants would have been nice. No information on Spa, Casino or Gym was in the rooms or provided to us when we checked in. I would rate our overall experience better than other reviews left here earlier this year. Seems like the management has been paying attention to make better some of the negative issues mentioned on prior reviews. We enjoyed our time on the island and the resort.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Melia Hotels International

3 Thank Anasua R
GExperience_MeliaNB, General Manager at Melia Nassau Beach - All Inclusive, responded to this review, 26 March 2014
Anasua R,
Thank you for choosing the Melia Nassau Beach hotel for your time in the Nassau, Bahamas. I am happy to hear that your enjoyed our comfortable guestrooms, beautiful beach and pool, and buffet. I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you again should your travels lead you back to the beautiful island of Nassau.

Andrew Tilley
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nassau
Atlantis, Royal Towers, Autograph Collection
British Colonial Hilton Nassau
Hotel Riu Palace Paradise Island
Hotel Riu Palace Paradise Island
#13 of 14 in Paradise Island

Been to Melia Nassau Beach - All Inclusive? Share your experiences!