“Best beach in the Bahamas”

Melia Nassau Beach - All Inclusive
Ranked #7 of 37 Hotels in Nassau
Reviewed 27 March 2014

Stayed at Melia resort march 20th-24th. Our room was 906 and had a great view. We didn't choose all inclusive.we only ate at the buffet at the hotel for breakfast once and it was $25. We took the bus for $1.25 stops in front of hotel to downtown and ate dinner at señor Frogs for dinner 2 nights. The last night we went to the fish fry. I heard from other people that the service at the bars are horrible. Bahamian people are very relaxed and slow paced unlike the states. Can be frustrating but remember your on vacation. We felt very safe and everyone was so nice. Got to visit the daiquiri shack across the street. They make the best daiquiris with fresh fruit for $6 well worth it. The beach is beautiful. The pool temp was a little cool. The hot tubs were hot and the ocean was warm.we had a great vacation and can't wait to go back. Definetly will stay at melia again.

Stayed: March 2014
3  Thank yankeegirl81
GExperience_MeliaNB, General Manager at Melia Nassau Beach - All Inclusive, responded to this reviewResponded 29 March 2014

yankeegirl81,
Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to share your experience. I am thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and I am even happier to see that you plan to join us again.

We cant wait to welcome you again for another great vacation in the sun.

Reviewed 27 March 2014

Melia was a pretty good hotel for the deal that we got. I did read the reviews before going and was a bit hesitant to stay at this hotel. I have stayed at the Melia hotels before and enjoyed my stay at the Los Cabos one, so I thought we would have the same experience here. It was quite different and the customer service was not that great at this hotel. When we first arrived the man at the front desk (forgot his name) was not welcoming at all, and was extremely rude. This is not what you want to experience when you are first entering the hotel. The man tried to tell us that there were no rooms available, when my friend and I had booked it a month in advanced and we came an hour after our check-in time, so the room had plenty of time to be ready. The man was not helpful, and was being extremely rude when we began to complain about our rooms. He finally gave us our room but was not welcoming whatsoever. The room we got was nice, and the hotel itself was pretty nice, just nothing compared to the Melia resort in Los Cabos. We had all inclusive, and I definitely recommend getting it, since you will save a lot of money on food and drinks. The customer service here was really rushed and the people didn't really seem to care.

What really made our trip and made Melia worth staying was the water sports area. This was the first time where I felt like the customer service was outstanding. My friend and I went sailing twice and had to have an instructor take us out. We had Dino take us on our sail and he was extremely kind and very helpful. We were a bit scared going on the sail, so he made us feel comfortable and we had a great time out on the sail. There were also a few other people that worked at the desk that were extremely polite and helpful. We had Taj and Eugene who were always friendly with us and helped us with kayaking and paddle boarding. It was nice to be able to have people that worked on the resort actually help each person instead of rushing all the time. Make sure you guys go do water sports when they are working because they are extremely friendly and helpful!

Overall I would say this resort was a pretty decent resort for the price. The beach here was amazing, and the food was pretty good as well. I do think they need to work on the customer service inside the hotel, because that is what made me not really enjoy the hotel. The service at the water sports was great, and the service at Aqua the restaurant was great as well (Daryll was our server). I'm not sure if I would stay at this hotel again because of the customer service I experienced, but the service from Aqua the restaurant and the water sports made my experience much better.

I also hated that the rooms didn't have wifi. That was another bummer. Sometimes I needed to check my emails, or contact my family and I would always have to do it in the lobby. They really need to get wifi that reaches into the rooms. (I was always outside and not in my room much, but when it was time to check emails at night, I could not do it in the comfort of my hotel room, I always had to go downstairs into the lobby)

Room Tip: We got 7th floor and had an amazing view. We went into a second floor room and the view was of a bui...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank haheartsyou

haheartsyou,
Thank you for choosing the Melia Nassau Beach Hotel for your time here in Nassau, Bahamas.
I am glad you enjoyed our hotel but I do apologize that the service you received was less than extraordinary. We will continue to train and work with our associates to ensure our guests receive the passion for service that the Melia prides itself with. I do hope you visit us again soon.

Reviewed 27 March 2014

We just finished our stay at the Melia and really enjoyed our stay. I traveled with my two best friends and we had a great time.

PROS: the beach is beautiful, our room was comfortable and clean, and the staff was very friendly. We didn't spend any time at the pools but they were well maintained. The entire hotel is very clean and well kept - we didn't notice any of the mildew smell mentioned by other reviews. We arrived super early on the 23rd and were able to check in early and got a lovely room - check in staff was very helpful.

CONS: as mentioned by other reviews, the service is sub-par. You can stand at the bar for 15 or 20 minutes before anyone even notices that you are there. However, we are from NYC, and recognize that the NY standard of service does not extend to other places. Furthermore, this is not a 5 star resort. We tried to be understanding and did not get stressed out about it. I think the Melia is building up their staff and still working out some of the finer details. That being said, when you did get someone's attention, they were extremely nice. I prefer slow-but-nice to fast-and-rude.

That being said - the food was decent, but not something to rave about. If you're not all inclusive it is really expensive - the "beach grill" burgers (which include a bag of chips and a pickle) cost $21!!! We were fine with about one meal a day, but if you are traveling with anyone who needs 3 meals a day, go with the all inclusive option.

• Stayed: March 2014
5  Thank sarapscott

sarapscott,
Thank you for staying with us here at the Melia Nassau Beach. I am glad to know that you enjoyed our beautiful beach, comfortable guest room, and friendly associates. I hope you visit us again soon.

Reviewed 27 March 2014

After reading the many reviews about this resort, my husband and I went in with pretty low expectations and a little nervous. But from the moment we arrived, we were very pleasantly surprised at how beautiful and well kept it was. When you are coming from the winter we have had; the beach, sun and drinks were really all we needed for a little R&R! I can't stress enough how happy we were that we went with the All Inclusive package. The drinks and food were really pricey, so we felt it was well worth it. The food was AMAZING!! We loved it, and thought it was very high quality. Our only complaint is that it took too long for drinks at the pool bar, and the customer service could improve a little. A smile could go a long ways from the staff, and we often felt like they were not the happiest at their job. All in all...wonderful vacation, and it was exactly what we needed to escape the cold!!

Room Tip: Definitely opt for a "pool view" room or an "ocean view" room. The "classic...
2  Thank Ktuiny

Ktuiny,
Thank you for choosing the Melia Nassau Beach Hotel for your vacation. I am so happy you enjoyed your time here and escaped from the freezing cold. I hope you visit us again for another enjoyable and warm vacation.

Reviewed 27 March 2014

We stayed at the Melia from March 18-26th. We did NOT chose the all-inclusive package. I read a lot of reviews prior to booking here. I did not expect a 5 star resort but I was pleasantly surprised at how nice the hotel and grounds were despite the negative reviews. The rooms were clean and comfortable enough. Every room has a balcony. Coffee maker is provided. Negatives: no fridge and no chairs on the balcony.
The beach was beautiful and there were a lot of lounge chairs, not quite enough umbrellas. TIP- bring your towels down to "save" your chairs by 8-830am. They fill up quickly! If you want a shady location - place your towels by 730am. There were 3 separate pools and beautiful grounds. Again, chairs fill up early.
Food and drink is very expensive at the Melia -so we decided to avoid it as much as possible. We only purchased drinks at the pool bar Day One of our vacation. A can of Sands beer was $8 and a mixed drink, Bahama Mama (in a tiny cup) was $9. The resort automatically adds a 15% tip. Again - we did not get all inclusive so we weren't about to spend so much on alcohol and food for 9 days. TIP- there is a corridor from the lobby that connects to the Crystal Palace Casino, part of the Wyndam Hotel next door. In that corridor is a great little liquor store. We purchased a large bottle of Absolute Vodka for $$22.50 and a case of SANDS beer for $67.00 (that's is less than $3 per beer of which the hotel charges $8 for the same one). We bought bottles of water here and soda/mixers for cheap. We mixed drinks in our room and sipped all week out of our own Nalgene bottles. The housekeeper was kind enough to give us a styrofoam cooler to keep our beer on ice. Voila!!! Food TIPS! We brought gronola bars with us and had one for breakfast every morning. There is a Starbucks in the hotel lobby where we occasionally purchased lunch sandwiches for $8 each. There is also a shop in the corridor across from the liquor store, called Sunny Eskimos. They have sandwiches for $5 and empanadas for $3. Also ice cream! But one of our FAVORITE finds was the Daiquiri Shack across the street from the Melia. They make delicious cheeseburgers with lettuce and tomato, $6 with a bag of chips. If you want fries it's $2 extra. Keep in mind - the Melia beach bar sells burgers for $19ea!!! The Daq Shack has AWESOME daiquiris for $6 and they are twice the size of the Melia's drinks and with twice as much alcohol! It's a great place to sit and people watch and the bartender makes all the daiquiris with fresh fruit right in front of you - any flavors you want!! We also ate several times at the Fish Fry a few miles down the road. You can catch the 10 bus right in front of the hotel and it will bring you anywhere on the island for $1.25 per person. Great deal. It runs only til 6pm. At the Fish Fry we recommend Oh Andros - get the Fried Grouper dinner. It comes with peas and rice and a couple sides. A huge portion that can easily be split by 2 people for $10. We got food packed to go and brought it back to the hotel as well.
We spent an hour or so each night at the Crystal Palace Casino. TIP - get a rewards card. You get points for the time you spend gambling. My husband got $200 and I received $50 cash prior to departing, for the points that were on our cards. Monday through Wednesday nights from 8p-12 they have drawings each hour for up to $200 - but you are only eligible if you have a players reward card. Its free and very worth it!
As for service at the hotel - it did lack. We arrived for check-in at 230 which was a busy time for them and it took 45 minutes. I had expected this from other reviews. Wait staff at the pool and bar lounge was very slow- we ate at the bar lounge and it was a 15 minute wait just to see a menu on several different occasions. On a positive note, we tried the lunch buffett once and the waitstaff there was very attentive. The food was great there as well.

Everyone we met from the waitstaff to the housekeepers, to the lifeguards, were extremely friendly. Everyone had a smile on, always.
TIP! We walked over to the Wyndham hotel which is right next to the Melia (the beaches are connected) and used their pool and waterslide. There was no one else there as the Wyndham is under construction and they only have a few rooms available for guests. The Wyndham's pool bar was closed but there was a lifeguard on duty.
Overall we had a great time staying at the Melia. We loved the beach and pools and the people were so nice. We figured out how to enjoy AND save money which is a huge bonus for me. Keep an open mind, relax and enjoy!!

7  Thank Karen G

Karen G,
Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to share your experience. I am so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. Our associates work hard to ensure our guests feel welcomed and at home. I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you again should your travels lead you back to Nassau, Bahamas.

Reviewed 27 March 2014

The hotel itself is absolutely beautiful. The pool and beach areas are the best on Cable Beach. The service leaves a lot to be desired. Since 15% gratuity is already included in everything they charge you for, the staff does not feel they have to earn it. I complained about the slowness of room service to the server who brought our food and she proceeded to tell me "We have other orders besides yours!" Mind you I only ordered desserts. Nothing that needed to be cooked, yet it took 50 minutes. There is a lot of luxury building going on at Cable Beach and I will certainly be looking at some of those other options on my next trip.

Room Tip: Definitely pay the extra money for the premium ocean view. Well worth the money!
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank sjhawthorne

sjhawthorne,
Thank you for choosing the Melia Nassau Beach for your stay. I am glad you enjoyed our beautiful property and relaxing beach and pool area, however I do apologize for your service experience. We are continuing to work with our associates to ensure that all of our guests receive the passion for service that the Melia brand prides itself with. I do hope you decide to stay with us for your next trip and give us the opportunity to give you the unforgettable experience you deserve.

Reviewed 26 March 2014

Rave reviews and unfavourable reviews are usually based on a pre-set expectation. I felt prepared (and thankful) that I had read all of the previous reviews prior to our stay. We figured we'd take our chances since we're pretty self-sufficient.

It is true; the Melia has a great spot on the BEACH, and it was kept clean during my visit. (Mind you, it is our responsibility as visitors to pick up after ourselves and not litter in the first place). But I did notice while walking the beach, those at other resorts were not nearly as tidy. Could really use extra palapas on the beach!! There are not many, are highly coveted, and people seemed to be laying towels out the night before to secure them. We had no complains with the 'quiet' POOL, which was the only one we utilized. It was not heated, but we didn't expect it to be. Many lounger chairs at the pool and beach need replacing. Hope they'll be brought in soon.

COMMON AREAS areas of the hotel could use a little sprucing up. We were hoping to use the stairs for exercise, but had to give that up after door handles fell off and pieces of plaster from the ceiling were noticed on the floor. The hotel ought to conduct a safety inspection.

EVENING ENTERTAINMENT (MUSIC) was a bit repetitive over the course of a week, but of good to very good quality. Many of us stood around until our feet were too sore, as there is a significant LACK OF SEATING. It would be nice for the hotel to arrange to bring more seating to this area for the evenings. There is a large wraparound deck just off of the lobby bar, but absolutely no seating out there either. This would be a nice spot for guests to hang out in the evenings.

The only MAJOR COMPLAINT (as with many others) would be the lack of SERVICE. Although we did not experience a long wait during check in, that being our first impression of the hotel was poor. Wait staff at the pool = sometimes poor and often terrible. Wait staff at restaurants was very hit and miss. Housekeeping = very random, sometimes taking into the evening, sometimes not done unless you have the front desk contact housekeeping for you.

ANOTHER DISAPPOINTMENT; I had communicated with the Revenue Manager in advance of our arrival. I made our OCEANVIEW ROOM request and advised we were visiting for our honeymoon. The first room I was assigned was on the 5th floor, was more of a pool than oceanview, and had a strange smell. After I returned to the check-in counter and spoke to a different employee, we were offered a room which met expectation (8th floor, no mildew smell). Melia advertises when travelling for a honeymoon or birthday, a complimentary bottle of wine will be gifted. We thought maybe they're waiting until our last night to deliver - but it never showed. Not a make or break, of course. We were travelling on the all-inclusive package and could order a glass whenever we liked. However, it is small touches that can make a difference.

We took time to voice our general concerns over the lack of service to managers during our stay. We made our comments respectfully, accepting their apologies and promise that they are working on things - it will be a process, possibly more so because the employees are unionized. (I am an employee of a union as well, and while I appreciate that it ensures employees receive fair pay, know that it can be difficult to motivate or reprimand the staff who display less than desirable behaviour). They seem to be implementing some new processes based on the negative reviews - such as better organizing the check-in line and sending what appears to be supervisors around the restaurants to check that things are going okay.

I'd like to mention staff who provided great service, because they exist! Cindy at (2nd time) check-in, Moses at the Aqua restaurant, and Shane at the lobby bar. Thank you; you are appreciated!

We REALLY ENJOYED this destination! Spent lots of time off resort exploring...Downtown Shops and Government Landmarks, the Rum Distillery, Fort Fincastle, Queen's Staircase, Atlantis, Snorkelling Excursion, Fish Fry. In case we decide to rent a condo or hotel with a kitchenette, we checked out prices at the local grocery store and transportation options. Jitney and taxi drivers were friendly, some making for great unofficial tour guides!

We look forward to returning to this destination, and would consider returning to the Melia IF service improves substantially. It has been several months since Melia took over from the Sheraton. And soon, they will not be able to use the transition as reason for what is currently lacking. I will continue to follow the reviews.

Room Tip: Room 806 was great; oceanview and furnishings are in relatively good shape. Interior closed-in hall...
3  Thank Trvllbugg
GExperience_MeliaNB, General Manager at Melia Nassau Beach - All Inclusive, responded to this reviewResponded 27 March 2014

Trvllbugg,
Thank you for choosing the Melia Nassau Beach Hotel and for taking the time to write such a detailed review. We are continuing to work with our associates to ensure our guest receive the passion for service that the Melia prides itself in. There are many projects that will be happening throughout this year that will solve or help a lot of the issues you have mentioned.

I do hope you decide to visit us again so that you can see our continued progress in making the Melia Nassau Beach reach its full potential.

Andrew Tilley,

Also consider these accommodations in or near Nassau
Atlantis, Royal Towers, Autograph Collection
British Colonial Hilton Nassau
Hotel Riu Palace Paradise Island
Hotel Riu Palace Paradise Island
#12 of 14 in Paradise Island

Been to Melia Nassau Beach - All Inclusive? Share your experiences!