“So much potential here”

Ranked #7 of 37 Hotels in Nassau
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
“So much potential here”
Reviewed 6 May 2014

Nassau Bahamas is one of the most beautiful Caribbean destinations and
Cable beach is a prime location. Gorgeous white sand and blue waters! The weather was just right. However, the level of service and hospitality at Melia needs significant improvement. Checking in took 3 hours in our case due to a large group being there the week prior and checked out the day we arrived. We settled for a room with double beds because we were tired of waiting.

OK this is what everyone checking in is confused about, you purchase an all inclusive package and receive a special bracelet, however every single drink, meal requires a signature on a bill with an automatic 15% gratuity to the server, and it makes guests weary of additional billing. No extra charges are made and the bills are waived if you purchased all inclusive, it makes no sense because it really slows down service and makes guests uncomfortable.This shows
poor management with little consideration for the guests. Melia needs to sort this out. Also because there is an automatic 15% gratuity I'm sure this is one reason service is poor.

Can't explain why but most of the staff were very slow, sluggish, and
arrogant. The bartenders act as if its an honor to be served once every 30 min. If you're seated in the lobby bar you're lucky to get checked on once an hour, they had one waitress servicing 63 people in the evening and yes I counted. No exaggeration either.

Overall, the food was excellent at both the buffet and Aqua restaurant, I recommend the lamb at Aqua.
Unfortunately they do not serve coffee outside of the restaurant and
they do not have an espresso machine at any bar which is unheard of
and substandard, however there is the strategically placed Starbucks on site which you pay for. So if you purchased an all inclusive package there isn't coffee/espresso available at the lobby bar, bit inconvenient..

One big downfall is the wait times to be seated at buffet make it less enjoyable,There are plenty of tables available but they
make you wait in line to seat you, which looks disorganized and is an
unpleasant.On the patio there are several diseased-looking stray cats that
beg while you are eating dinner. . Furthermore, if you want an omelet for
breakfast you have to wait in a 10 minute line and deal with employees that don't seem to like their jobs.

The gym is very modern spacious with adequate equipment elliptical
machines, treadmills , bikes, weight rack 5 to 50 lbs, and a few machines
for legs and upper body. They were going to relocate it in the week that I was there and the gym will be turned into another restaurant on the 4th floor. They have only one a la carte restaurant Aqua at the writing of this review and a second restaurant is in the making.

Awesome wifi access virtually everywhere on the property including the
beach and in rooms as well. This was pretty cool if you want net access virtually everywhere.I was laying on the beach and taking photos and uploading them on the fly. First time seeing that for me.

Room Tip: Ocean view is a must but there is a premium on this. the other side faces the street and there is a...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Avesta H
GExperience_MeliaNB, General Manager at Melia Nassau Beach - All Inclusive, responded to this review, 13 May 2014
Hello Avesta H,
Thank you for choosing the Melia Nassau Beach Resort for your stay. I am sorry you did not receive the passion for service that we stand for here at the Melia Nassau Beach. However I am happy to know that you enjoyed our dinning options and fitness center. You will be happy to know that there will be three new restaurants added to our inventory for our guests to enjoy with the ongoing renovations. I do hope you visit us again so that you have a chance to enjoy them. We appreciate you taking the time to leave your comments as they help us to ensure our guests receive the best service available.

Andrew Tilley

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,286)
  • Polish first
Montgomery, Alabama
Reviewed 5 May 2014

My husband and I were celebrating our anniversary and were upset upon arriving because our premium ocean view room was not available. The hotel staff was pleasant and provided us with 2 pool cards and wrist bands as part of our all-inclusive package so that we could take advantage of the amenities while our room was being prepared. Upon our return the front desk, we learned that our room was still not ready and was given a room on the 7th floor. We still had a king size bed and an ocean view, but there was not refrigerator neither was there a microwave in the room. My husband I were also disappointed that only one elevator worked on the entire 7th floor. BIG disappointment. The view was lovely so we decided to keep the room and begin our vacation. My husband and I always participate in many excursions, but this time we decided to take advantage of the resort and all that it offers. The food was good and the beach and pool were always kept clean. The employees of this resort are spectacular and very nice. My husband and I even received a special anniversary song by the employees of the Aqua Restaurant. A very special waitress/server by the name of SHANISKA was also very pleasant and provided us with over-the-top service. From her kind and sweet spirit, to her swift service and friendly smile. She made the trip extra special. Not only did she provide service to us beachside which we absolutely loved, she also gave us quality and sufficient service in the lobby bar area where we hung out frequently. Thanks again SHANISKA and may God continue to bless you. Hopefully when we return, we'll see you again and the hotel won't be under construction. All in all, we enjoyed our trip and will definitely travel to the Bahamas again. Thanks Melia family for an over all job well done!

Room Tip: Ocean views are the best on the higher floors.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank HaleysComet39
Hello HayleysComet39,
Thank you for choosing the Melia Nassau Beach Resort and for taking the time to share your experience with us. I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us! I will be sure to share you praises with our associates, I know they will be very happy to hear from you. Once again thank you for staying with us and I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you again very soon!

San Francisco
Reviewed 5 May 2014

The front desk did noting to help our checkin situation. It took over hours before the could finally check us in as a group of five into 3 rooms. To make matters worse we were spread all over the hotel on different floors and wings in the hotel. One of the rooms even had a lady underwear on the bathroom floor after we all checked in. We also booked for 3 king size bed rooms but was placed in 3 double occupancy rooms

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Melia Hotels International

4 Thank Jr R
Dear Jr R,
I do apologize for any inconvenience caused due to the issues you have mentioned. I can assure that our associates work very hard to ensure that all of our guests requests are accommodated but sometimes due to circumstances beyond our control we are unable to meet those requests. While this is in no way a excuse I do hope you can understand. Once again I am sorry for the disappointment and I do hope you visit us again and give us the opportunity to win your confidence in the resort. Thank you for staying with us.

Washington Dc, District Of Columbia
Reviewed 5 May 2014

Very disappointed with overall stay. The hotel lobby was about the greatest part of the hotel. Resort fees? Provide me resort service if you charge resort fees. Room service...yeah great it only takes an hour to get your food. Fridge? Only if you wanna pay extra!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Melia Hotels International

4 Thank Jackie B
Dear Jackie B,
Please accept my apologies for the disappointments with your stay. I am sorry that we were unable to meet and surpass your expectations. I do hope we have a chance to welcome you again so that we have to opportunity to regain your confidence in the resort.

Thank you for choosing the Melia Nassau Beach Resort we appreciate your business.

Pennsylvania
Reviewed 4 May 2014

My husband and I were pleasantly surprised when we arrived only 10 minutes to check in and our room was ready. The room was clean with a king bed that we requested and also on the 7th floor and the view from our balcony was spectacular. We were all- inclusive the buffet food for breakfast was our favorite and the staff were very attentive. The dinner buffet had different entries every night with enough variety to please everyone. The beach cafe was good for lunch. The pool bar service was fair to good depending on crowd size with 1 nights exception when there were 50 customers and 4 bartenders you just had to be patient and wait your turn. The bartenders were hustling all the time to get your drinks & I watched 1 person get his drinks & he tried to order more drinks & bartender said you have to wait As It Should Be. Be patient they are not magicians. The entertainment was amazing from music to movie night. Also 2 barbecues by the pool with a band and the Junkanoo parade stopped by. You have to sign for everything you purchase again be patient . We snorkeled off our beach we saw very pretty fish and the beach was beautiful but they need more beach umbrellas the sun is very strong. We went into town on the 10 bus $1.25 each way and on the way back stopped at fish fry "Oh Andros" and had fresh conch salad and grouper sticks it was delicious definitely a good stop. All in all great vacation staff were very attentive and friendly, the rooms were clean and the view amazing and the cats on the property put smiles on everybody's faces. Can't wait to go back to see the improvements planned with the renovation. We stayed 4/28 to 5/2.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank 428maureen
GExperience_MeliaNB, General Manager at Melia Nassau Beach - All Inclusive, responded to this review, 5 May 2014
Hello Maureen F,
Thank you for choosing the Melia Nassau Beach and for taking the time to share your experience. I am so happy to know that you enjoyed your stay with us! I will be sure to share your comments with the team.

We anticipate your return for another wonderful vacation in the sun.
See you again soon!

Reviewed 3 May 2014 via mobile

Ok - major problems with reservations overbooking--- we we were sent to Breezes, horrible, construction, decor very dated, from the English colony rule...could not stay there...bright spot Tinisha, she is wonderful, in a sea if indifference, she will go far!!!! She is high end And will go far...Lastly, would hesitate to stay her again.

Stayed May 2014
4 Thank Rita M
Hello Rita M,
Please accept my apologies for the inconvenience caused during your stay. Please know that this is not a normal occurrence for us and we are truly sorry. I am happy to know that you still were able to enjoy your stay. I do hope you visit us again soon.

Prince Albert, Canada
Reviewed 3 May 2014

My husband and I visited the Melia from April 23-30th for my 40th bday. It was our first trip to the island and it won't be our last. We read the reviews prior to going and we were a bit nervous to visit this property but after being there i wonder what exactly people are wanting from this resort. Let me start with the location. It has by far the most beautiful ocean and beach on the island. We have been to Dominican, Mexico, Jamaica and even Hawaii and none of them in my opinion compare to what this island has to offer. The ocean is so beautiful it can almost make you speechless. We had a bit of an issue upon check in BUT that was due to 600 rooms checking out that day and the staff having to deal with a massive turnover of guests. The staff were very apologetic and even sent up a bottle of wine to show their regrets of the situation. Yes there are a few cracks and signs of age but you have to expect that when you are right by the ocean. The salt air and moisture does take its toll. While we were there we saw hallways being painted and heard about plans being made to continue with the on going renovation of the property to make it even better for their guests. The property is big enough to provide lots of options without making you feel you are lost. We visited Atlantis for the day and although it is grand and a sight to see i would never stay there, it is just way too big. We could go from our room to the beach, restaurants or lounge in 5 minutes. Our room was big with a very comfortable king size bed and offered everything we needed. The best part was waking up in the morning, pulling back the curtains and seeing paradise. The restaurants offered lots of choices and everything we ate was amazing. In fact so amazing i am going to have to spend a lot more time at the gym now that i am home. The entertainment was also amazing. The VIP band had my husband and i (a husband who doesn't usually dance) dancing the night away. The other entertainers in the lounge also helped us enjoy our drinks and our evening. I was also very impressed with the other options for entertainment. Such as a movie on a huge projector screen shown outside by the pool under the stars. 2 delicious BBQ's by the pool and my favorite the Junkanoo parade that danced and played their way thru the property 2 times. We were all inclusive so tips were included but we always reward good service and let me tell you unlike the other places that we have been who seem to expect it, our tips were greatly appreciated. We also had to sign all of our receipts as we were all inclusive, this is not a big deal. In fact it made us realize and appreciate just how much our trip would have cost if we had not gone with the all inclusive option. Now back to the ocean. We went on a snorkel trip with Captain Fox....even the name offers adventure. On the Melia beach there are numerous options for additional fun such as jet ski's, fishing or snorkeling. These are not affiliated with the Melia but offered on their beach. Captain Fox took us snorkeling for $50 a person and it was the best snorkeling experience i have ever had. Not only did he take really good care of us, as although i love the ocean i am a bit timid when it comes snorkeling unlike my husband who is a human fish but he took us to a place not far from the resort where we got to see lots of star fish and we found huge beautiful natural conch shells. They cleaned them and shone them up for us and we were able to bring them home as a wonderful reminder of our trip. I really can not say enough about the island or the resort. Is the resort perfect, no. Is the service perfect, no. But i have never stayed any where on vacation where things were perfect. The only things i would recommend are more umbrellas on the beach and more tables and chairs in the lounge. I haven't even been back in Canada for 48 hours and i have already been online looking at flights to plan my next trip to the Bahamas and the Melia. I am so excited to see what changes and renovations they we will do until our next visit. I commend the new owners and the staff for working hard to bring this property up to its full potential. We will be back and will recommend our friends and family to this island and to the Meila. If you are planning on visiting there go with an open mind knowing it is a work in process. Nothing beats Bahamian hospitality :)

Room Tip: The premium ocean view is worth the extra money.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Melanie2014bday
Hello Melanie2014bday,
Thank you for choosing the Melia Nassau Beach hotel. I am always so happy to hear when our guests have had a great time. I will be sure to share your comments with my team, I know they will be thrilled to hear about what a wonderful time you had. We cannot wait to welcome you again for another exciting and memorable vacation.

See you again soon!
Andrew Tilley,
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nassau
Atlantis, Royal Towers, Autograph Collection
Grand Hyatt Baha Mar
Grand Hyatt Baha Mar
#2 of 37 in Nassau
Sandals Royal Bahamian Spa Resort & Offshore Island

Been to Melia Nassau Beach - All Inclusive? Share your experiences!