“Beautiful but lacking”

Ranked #6 of 37 Hotels in Nassau
Cleveland, Ohio
“Beautiful but lacking”
Reviewed 10 May 2014 via mobile

Spent 5/4-5/10 at Melia. We were first given a room on the 2nd floor with an Awful view, went to front desk to request a different room and had to pay extra $240 for Ocean view. We did NOT do all-inclusive, as calculated we spent around $700 on food and drinks, we ate out a couple times..and we're not huge drinkers during the day. All inclusive would have cost more than double what we spent. As you've been told upgrades are underway and necessary in hallways and rooms..however beautiful beaches were our main concern, and Melia did not fail here. We did have to call for towels and had no soap..we ended up buying a bar of soap. The bed was comfortable, air conditioning ice cold which was nice. We spent almost every evening at the only bar-in the lobby area..nice atmosphere with the live music and to watch sports..we ordered a burger and chicken fingers and waited an hour..I'm not complaining, just fair warning if you expect speedy service. My boyfriend and I are not picky when traveling..but a smile from staff while waiting on you goes a long way.. Sometimes we almost felt like an inconvenience. However, we find the positive in everything while vacationing :-)

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank OliviaTravelsAlot
GExperience_MeliaNB, General Manager at Melia Nassau Beach - All Inclusive, responded to this review, 22 May 2014
Hello OliviaTravelsAlot,
Thank you for choosing the Melia Nassau Beach and for taking the time to share your experience. We appreciate our guests comments as they help us to be better at what we do. I do apologize that the service you received did not meet your expectations. We continue to work with our associates to ensure they make our guests feel special and at home when staying with us.

I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you again once our renovations are complete so that you enjoy our new upgrades, restaurants and amenities. Once again thank you for staying with us and I hope to see you again soon.

Andrew Tilley,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,194)
  • Polish first
Reviewed 10 May 2014

My friend and I wanted to visit Nassau so we called my travel agent Lisa Zwissler with Beach Bum Vacation to book our trip. We chose the all inclusive option and there should be no option but to do the all inclusive. For example, if you are paying as you go and order 2 drinks at dinner, your bill for food and drinks will be over $90 for 2. Nassau is very expensive and you will do yourself a huge favor by booking the all inclusive. There are some exceptions to the all inclusive that you need to be aware of. For beer the all inclusive only includes the local beers such as Kolik, Kolik Light, Sands, & Sands Light. For alcohol the all inclusive only includes your regular liquors such as Jim Beam, Captain Morgan, etc. If you order a Grey Goose drink you will have to pay and drinks aren't cheap. The biggest thing that you will have to get used to is signing for food and drinks every time you order them. It's not a big deal and it's immediate gratification because you would see what you would have paid if you did not book the all inclusive. After a few drinks and food orders you get used to signing for it. Also, please remember that you are on vacation and to relax because no matter where you go in Nassau, service is just okay and a little slow. So, order 2 beers or 2 drinks when it's your turn to place your order and you should be good to go. There is an Italian restaurant on site that is included in the all inclusive but they it is by reservation only they say. If you are hungry and don't have a reservation, it may be worth your time to ask if they have availability because they never turned us away when we asked without a reservation. This resort is also very close to go into town if you are craving American food (such as McDonald's, Burger King, & Dominoes) or need to go to a grocery store. The walk into town is about 15 minutes or you can take the local bus from the resort for $1.25 one way. I recommend taking the walk and stopping by the first liquor store and buying a beer. Nassau allows you to walk around town with a beer in your hand. Oh and the night lift at the Melia is awesome! The main area turns into a night club and they have a band that plays. If you are doing this I recommend getting a seat at the bar around 8 or so because you will get the best service there instead of being at a table. If you are into gambling the casino looked nice and it had a night club above that area as well. There were some kids here but mostly adults. They have beach volleyball, ping pong, by the beach bar. Also they have free Wi-Fi throughout the main areas, bars, and restaurants in the resort. After being here we went to Paradise Island for a few days and within 24 hours wished we were back at the Melia. Thank-you Lisa Zwissler with Beach Bum Vacation on recommending this place. I will definitely be going back to this resort on my next trip to Nassau.

Room Tip: Definitely get a view of the ocean if you can because the view is amazing!
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
21 Thank Daniel W
Hello Daniel W,
Thank you for choosing the Melia Nassau Beach and for taking the time to share your experience on Trip Advisor! We are always so happy to hear when our guests have had a great time with us. Our associates are dedicated to ensuring our guests are satisfied and I know they will be happy to hear about your awesome stay. We anticipate your return for another great vacation on the beautiful island of Nassau, Bahamas.

See you again soon,

Staten island new york
Reviewed 10 May 2014

We stayed for a week may2-9 at the melia! Our first room we didn't like it wasn't ocean view which we paid for, next day we switches rooms it was beautiful ! 952 ! The room is big and clean they cleaned everyday no problem with that. It's a regular room noting special. The staff at the resturants and bars are not the that friendly ! Hilbert was our waiter at aqua, everything single night he was beyond amazing ! Really nice guy we loved him ! Aqua was a really nice resturant the food was pretty good coming from picky New yorks and I have dairy and gluten issues! They were good on that for me ! The beach is amazing but it was crowed plenty of beach chairs, pools looked nice and clean never went in I was in the ocean th whole time. Bar outside you wait a long time for a drink ! We did the day pass at Atlantis diff worth it! Also something I wish I knew is that the melia is pet friendly ! The lobby is very big and nice ! They have Starbucks inside ! I never went downtown ! No night life but after spending 12 hours on the beach and dinner that was enough for us ! They were families older people ! All mixed we were one of the youngest couples ! Overall it was a nice hotel decent food the Buffett sucked big time ! They are opening 2 more resturants down the road ! I would come back to the melia next year it's beautiful ! With my dogs of course this time! Also it's 10 mins from the airport !

• Stayed May 2014
2 Thank Lolacookie12
Hello Lolacookie12,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. I am so glad you enjoyed our friendly service, comfortable guestrooms and beautiful beach. I am so happy to know that you will visit us again! We anticipate your return to us next year.

Thank you for choosing the Melia Nassau Beach and see you again soon,

Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 9 May 2014

I stayed at the Melia in April and was skeptical due to reviews. My room, which was on the 9th floor had an incredible view and WIFI unlike other reviews. We did not have a fridge, they were all out. But this was because a Passover group was there and it was understandable. The beach was wonderful. Especially the men at the water sports desk. This included eugine, taj, Shawn, and Kendall. The were incredibly helpful and friendly and made the beach experience that much better. Expect pricey things as it is vacation, but overall I would definetly go back here

• Stayed April 2014
Hello and thank you for choosing the Melia Nassau Beach and for taking the time to share your review with us. I am happy to know that you enjoyed your stay with us and I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you again soon.

Be well,

Edgewater, New Jersey
Reviewed 9 May 2014

PROS:
- Beaches are beautiful. Ocean is gorgeous and warm, sand is soft.
- Crab cakes at inside bar are delish!
- LaKendra was our waitress for the few days we were there and she was AMAZING. Funny, personable, timely, went out of her way to say hi to us around the hotel.
- Great views of pools and beach from

CONS:
- Needs to be updated. Cracks in pool amenities
- Poor service at pool bar
- No updated/dance music at pool bar
- Casino is small and expensive
- No night life unless you take taxi into town
- Staff was very rude upon departure
- VERY SLOW service at Aqua (restaurant in hotel)
- Only one restaurant at hotel

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank dbunny29
GExperience_MeliaNB, General Manager at Melia Nassau Beach - All Inclusive, responded to this review, 20 May 2014
Hello dbunny29,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us on Trip Advisor. I am glad you enjoyed our beautiful beach, and views. I do apologize that you did not receive the passion for service you deserve and I hope you visit us again and give us the opportunity to win your confidence in the resort.

Thank you for staying with us and I hope to see you again in the future.

Venetia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 9 May 2014

My daughter and I were in Nassau for the day with a cruise ship. We just wanted a nice safe place to enjoy the beach. Melia was wonderfu the $30 day pass included: beautiful pools, beach towels, lounge chairs, free floats, kayak, stand-up paddle board, and snorkel gear. We chose the $50 pass which included lunch (includes 1 entree and 1 drink off the menu) at O' Grille-- a mistake! O-grille food was delicious and reasonably priced so the extra $20pp ended up costing us more on the all inclusive package. I got the grouper ceviche (superb) and water ( $15 menu price), while my daughter got chicken fingers and coke ($15 menu price). But I would definitely recommend the day pass for anyone not interested in paying the $150+ for the Atlantis excursion, but get your own lunch separately and save a few dollars. The #10 Bus ($1.25) passes right by the resort, or you can get a cab (I was charged $17).

Room Tip: $30 day pass not $50 pass which includes lunch
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
73 Thank LSseetheworld
LSseetheworld,
Thank you for choosing the Melia Nassau Beach for your day in Nassau Bahamas! I am glad you enjoyed your short visit with us and I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you again soon for a longer stay.

Safe travels,
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 9 May 2014

My brothers and I recently took our mom and dad, along with our spouses and one baby to stay for 4 nights at Melia Nassau beach, upon arrival we were greeted very happily by a busy front desk team who had us checked in an to our 4 rooms within 30 minutes. We booked ocean view king rooms and all were as advertised except my little brother who got a room with two fills on the far side of the hotel. This was remedied the 2nd night S an ocean view opened up. We were there over Easter weekend and the guest activities coordinator Rommel organized a great church service on the beach with the apostle Paul Butler from a local church. It was a small turn out because the majority of the hotel guests were celebrating the Passover week...but Rommel made sure the celebration was wonderful and went the extra mile to lead the singing in spite of his nerves! Great job! We also enjoyed several organized activities like Zumba- with an incredible instructor...she was moving and keeping everyone in the zone. If she were my instructor in Atlanta, I'm sure I would weigh only 90 lbs! The team that served breakfast and lunch was wonderful. Tamara always remembered the baby's name and made a special point to make sure she was comfortable. The door men were jolly and lovely especially mr. Nash. We appreciate that our family time was supported by courteous staff, friendly people and good food and service. Hats off to Alexander Smith an exceptionally friendly bartender who shared my name! We will be back!!

Room Tip: Beach view is worth it!
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank HelenL0vesTravel
Hello and thank you for choosing the Melia Nassau Beach. It is great to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us! Our associates work very hard to ensure all of our guests leave with memorable experiences and I see you have left with just that! I am excited the see that you plan to visit us again and we cant wait to have you. I will be sure to share your praises with the associates you mentioned as I am sure they will be happy to hear from you.

See you again soon,
Andrew Tilley
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nassau
Atlantis, Royal Towers, Autograph Collection
Hotel Riu Palace Paradise Island
#13 of 14 in Paradise Island
3.5 of 5 bubbles 4,708 reviews
British Colonial Hilton Nassau

Been to Melia Nassau Beach - All Inclusive? Share your experiences!