“service”

Melia Nassau Beach - All Inclusive
Ranked #7 of 37 Hotels in Nassau
Reviewed 28 July 2014

There was never enough towels in the room had to call everyday for towels which was brought to room around nine or ten o'clock at night. Ice machine was never working. Check in service was very slow lines was to long no where for elderly to sit when lines long and slow.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Melia Hotels International
GExperience_MeliaNB, General Manager at Melia Nassau Beach - All Inclusive, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2014

Dear Frances B,
Thank you for choosing the Melia Nassau Beach for your stay. Please accept my most sincere apologies for the issues you incurred during your time with us. We appreciate you taking the time to share your comments with us as they help us to ensure we continue to provide our guests with the best service possible.
I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you again should your travels lead you back to Nassau, Bahamas.

Reviewed 28 July 2014

The hotel is made to look beautiful online, however it is not what you expect. There is no wi-fi service unless you want to spend $35/day to get it. The only wi-fi was in the lobby or the gym and you had to stand still hoping it would connect. Getting clean towels was a drag. The bed is extremely uncomfortable and staying for a week, made for soreness returning home.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Danielle C

Dear Danielle C,
Please accept my apologies for the disappointments with your stay. Please know that we are actively working to make our resort one of the best on the island. I do hope you visit us again so that you can experience our continued growth.

Reviewed 28 July 2014

This hotel could be so much better , Don't expect to much and you won't be disappointed . The beach is nice and the area is not to bad . All you have to do is get out of the hotel and explore the real Bahamas the people are beautiful.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Lisa D

Dear Lisa D,
I am so disappointed to know that we did not meet and surpass your expectations for your stay with us. We are currently undergoing renovations and we are very excited about with is in store for our resort. I hope you visit us again in the future so that you have the opportunity to enjoy all of the beautiful upgrades and additions coming our way this year.
Thank you for staying with us.

Reviewed 28 July 2014

We were originally supposed to be married at the Wyndham in Nassau. In about March (before our May wedding) we found out the the Wyndham was bought out, and our wedding and stays were transferred to the Melia. We were obviously very nervous to plan our wedding all over again a few months before, but we tried to make it work. However, we had a difficult time communicating with anyone at that hotel. It could take a week to receive an email response.

My fiancee and I were already going to stay at Atlantis before everyone else arrived for the wedding, so we decided to ask them about having a wedding there. It was a tad more expensive, but they were very quick and professional. Long story short, we cancelled the Melia wedding and went with the Atlantis wedding. Everything went perfect with the wedding itself.

Back to the Melia. The night we were driving up to Phoenix to fly out to the Bahamas, we decided to give Melia a call to make sure everything was good with our stay. I had already done this, but by this point I understood that the customer service was very very poor. They told me that my name was not in the system, but they had my confirmation number with attached to my dads name. They also had my fiancee staying with my dad, and no record of my mom. I asked them to fix this for me, and was told that only the reservation department was capable. They would not be open until the next morning. I might have overreacted, but by yelling and making a fuss, I eventually got everything smoothed over.

We arrived, stayed at Atlantis for four days (which was very nice), then came to Melia. Although the wedding had been switched to Atlantis, we did not want to ask our guests to pay the higher Atlantis price. All guests still stayed at Melia. Food was cheaper than Atlantis. The beach was the best part of the hotel. Free rentals on different boards and kayaks. When we snorkeled 50 feet off the beach, we found sea turtles, barracudas, star fish, lion fish, sting rays, and lots of schools of fish. It was amazing! And the ocean was so calm and warm, it made for a very positive snorkeling experience. Cuban cigars and coconut drinks were sold right on the beach.

Everything outside the hotel was very nice. The facilities inside were also decent. No real complaints about the hotel itself. The staff is a very different story. It is important when going to the Bahamas to understand that their customer service is very different. Everything moves very slow and leisurely. In the whole island, it is not uncommon to wait an hour for food. Melia is no exception. However, the Melia is different than the rest of the island (in my opinion) in that the workers are very inconvenienced by customers. If you ask almost anyone for anything, you will get a very cold, short response. Eye contact is usually avoided. At the casino, I spent a couple minutes trying to learn a new game, but quit when I was not getting cooperation from the dealer. I would have spent more money, but did not want to inconvenience her.

Although the long waits are universal in the Bahamas, that type of rudeness by the staff is not. At Atlantis, people were eager to answer your questions. At different restaurants downtown, the staff was always very friendly. I do not understand why this entire hotel suffers so badly with customer service.

All in all, go for the beach and the price. Just understand that if you want anything done, you need to stay on the staff.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sean w

Dear Sean W,
Thank you for choosing the Melia Nassau Beach and for taking the time to share your experience with us. I am sorry that we were unable to meet your expectations for your time in the Bahamas. I am happy you enjoyed our beach activities however I do sincerely apologize that you did not receive the Passion for Service that you deserve. We appreciate your comments and I hope that we have the chance to welcome you again and have the opportunity to regain your confidence in the resort.

Congratulations on your recent nuptials.

Reviewed 27 July 2014

We stayed for one week and we had a great time. The hotel used to be the Sheraton and was kept in great shape but you can tell that it needs some touch ups, but overall a solid four star. The staff was great all the time. Very well pleased with the service. One of the best things this hotel has is the artificial reefs for easy snorkeling. No other hotel has this. Now some tips. There Are No Water Fountains or any complimentary free juice like in Punta Cana. Take your own snorkeling gear as the hotel has very very limited amounts. Places to eat are to the west of the hotel. 10 minute walk or easy #10 bus route for $1.25 per person. There are no vending machines so take a ride to the city market and buy some snacks and drinks to keep in your room. One thing I think is needed is to have security guard presence in the pool area at night because the younger crowds get loud. They need better entertainment for families at night unless they only want to cater to adults. Also the the rooms don't have fridge or microwave included. For the money, this is a great value with some very minor issues. Please do not turn into a hotel inspector when you go. You will find what you are looking for. Get early, take the number 10 bus to downtown, eat breakfast at cafe skans, spend the day visiting downtown and paradise island, then take the number 10 bus back to fish fry. The Take The Number 10 Again Back To The hotel. Try not to go downtown after 6pm. It gets a bit scary. Enjoy the wonderful Bahamas.

• Stayed: July 2014
2  Thank carmen0010

Hello carmen0010,
Thank you for choosing the Melia Nassau Beach for your stay in Nassau, Bahamas. I am so happy you enjoyed your time here! Our reefs are actually natural! Its great that you enjoyed snorkeling around them. We continue to add new exciting entertainment to our schedule and I hope you visit us again to enjoy them.

Reviewed 27 July 2014

I was lucky enough to stay at this resort on a recent trip to Nassau. There are so many things pro and con one can say about any resort, that I want to share the best items first. The staff are amazing, the food is great and cleanliness is fantastic. The hotel as the rest of this area of Nassau is undergoing a huge transformation which will make it "the" play destination of the Caribbean. And the Melia is in a prime position to be a part of that.
I would venture to say as 30+ year travel professional if you have never been to a resort in a transition time, then don't ever, ever judge a small short stay at the resort and write off the whole resort because of it. That seems very small minded. Granted that time you spent was valuable to you, but don't always believe it is indicative of what another person's experience will be.
I think a lot of people still think that if they can click a few buttons on a computer and always pick their resorts by cost alone that they are travel professionals, sorry that isn't the case. I would recommend this hotel to guests knowing exactly what their experience would be. The hotel is currently changing from an EP (European Plan, no meals included) hotel to and all-inclusive hotel, and just imagine having to honor the guests who have booked in each way, equally.
They have a great beach, pools that are more plentiful than one would expect for a resort of this size. And they will be one of only two nearby hotels that will be all-inclusive when the huge new Baha Mar complex opens next door at the end of 2014.
Would I go back, absolutely, I can only imagine the transformation that is taking place in this resort and would love to see what it becomes.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank TravelGoddess77
Reviewed 27 July 2014

I spent six days at Melia Resort and I had a wonderful time. The hotel lobby was beautiful and spacious. My room was sparkling clean with an amazing view of the beach and pool area. I went for long walks on the beach almost every morning. There are dance exercise classes every morning by the beach. I found the staff to be outstandingly friendly and courteous. The hotel's location is very good. There is a small craft market and an outdoor bar (great fresh fruit drinks!) across the street and for $1.25 a quick bus ride will take you into town or to "Fish Fry" (Oh Andros serves the best fish with rice & beans - huge portions!) My overall experience at Melia was amazing! That being said, I will suggest that it would be nice to have a microwave oven and Wifi as a standard for each room. Also some late night entertainment-somewhere to dance, have a drink, or just hangout for a while would leave an even more amazing impression! Thank you so much Melia management and staff!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank svassel

Hello Svassel,
Thank you for choosing the Melia Nassau Beach for your stay! I am so glad to know that you enjoyed your time with us. Please do visit us again for another memorable Bahamas vacation.

Andrew Tilley,

Also consider these accommodations in or near Nassau
Atlantis, Royal Towers, Autograph Collection
British Colonial Hilton Nassau
Hotel Riu Palace Paradise Island
Hotel Riu Palace Paradise Island
#12 of 14 in Paradise Island

Been to Melia Nassau Beach - All Inclusive? Share your experiences!