“Reviews not all that inaccurate...”

Melia Nassau Beach - All Inclusive
Ranked #7 of 37 Hotels in Nassau
Long Island, New York
“Reviews not all that inaccurate...”
Reviewed 10 August 2014

Just checked in earlier this afternoon. Check in went smooth...kind of. I was sort of eager to see for myself what the big deal with the check in was all about since I've been reading the reviews off and on for a few months now. Well, let's put it this way...I walked up to registration with just two people ahead of me, so I'm thinking to myself "ok, no sweat". After talking to the attendant at the front desk for two minutes she goes in the back to check something out. This took about ten minutes and then my wife and I looked at each other and started smirking at each other like "Uh oh, those reviews about long check in registrations were right on point." The lady eventually came back out and told us that our reservations were cancelled and that they could'nt find my name. However, she did eventually find it and had to do whatever clerical task she had to do in order to "re-enter" us back in the system. I'll say this much, while we waited waaaay too long to check in, she at least told us about the "minor" problem and the solution when she reappeared. Basically, we checked in with no problem once she came back and I guess it was a good thing she waited until she solved the problem before telling us that our reservations were cancelled somehow.
As far as everything else goes, here's the deal...this hotel is under renovation. It is not on the same level as Atlantis across the way as far as amenities, looks, etc. It definitely won't be on par with the Baha Mar resort being built right next door ( that place will probably rival Atlantis when it's done.)
But for now, it has something that Paradise Island and the Atlantis doesn't have...cable beach. Cable beach is absolutely gorgeous. Warm, clear water, white sand and everything else you'd expect with the Caribbean.
The hotel is just fine and it's worth the money. When the renovations are done, it will be ok. I have zero complaints about hotel rooms, pool grounds etc... Staff is fine. Be nice to people and you'll probably have a good experience. I'm from New York so that goes for me back home too.
One last note, I actually visited this place many years ago when it was the Raddison, so I've seen some changes but nothing crazy enough that I wouldn't recommend it to someone.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank R J
GExperience_MeliaNB, General Manager at Melia Nassau Beach - All Inclusive, responded to this review, 14 August 2014
Dear R J,
Thank you for choosing the Melia Nassau Beach for your stay and for taking the time to share your experience with us. I am happy you are enjoying your stay so far. We are very excited about the updates coming to our resort upon completion of our renovations and I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you again so that you can enjoy them.

Andrew Tilley,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,285)
  • Polish first
Reviewed 9 August 2014 via mobile

My husband and I just got home from our stay at Melia and I couldn't wait to write this review. I have to say that I was actually really scared prior to our trip due to all the negative reviews but we found them to be unfair and unfounded.
My husband and I were celebrating our 10 year anniversary and decided to renew our vows. Lisset, the Romance Coordinator, was a joy to work with. She worked with us to ensure the ceremony was exactly as we envisioned and it was perfect. We had a bottle of wine delivered to the room every night and on the night of the ceremony, we came back to find another bottle of wine, strawberries with chocolate sauce, and a very nice handwritten note from Lisset.
The rest of the staff could not be nicer- everyone had a smile and genuinely wanted to know about how your stay was.
Check in took all of 5 minutes. As for the room, we were in room 903 and it was awesome. It was close to the elevator, which was nice because the hallways are not air conditioned. We always had plenty of towels, wash cloths, etc. The view alone was worth every penny!
The food was surprisingly good. We were on the all-inclusive plan, which was worth it's weight in gold as the food is pricey! The marketplace offered a different variety each morning, with made to order omelets, pancakes, fruit always available. It also had a wide variety to choose from at lunch and dinner and we never got bored. The grill outside offered standard pool/bar food types but it always came out hot. Aqua was just ok, in my opinion, but it wasn't bad by any means. Also, we never waited more than 2 minutes for anyone to ask and serve us drinks anywhere!
The beach was beautiful, but there are people trying to sell you something constantly. I would recommend getting a piña colda served in a coconut from the "coconut man". It was delicious- $8 for the initial drink and $4 for refills. I was also able to get wifi while sitting in the sand!
Off the resort, take a cab to Atlantis for $20- it's a sight to see and there are tons of shops and restaurants for a change of scenery. Also, go to the Fish Fry! We went to Twin Brothers and it was awesome (highly recommend conch salad, conch fritters, and fried grouper fingers!)!
My only suggestions for Melia is to get air conditioning fixed in Aqua- I didn't enjoy sweating through dinner! Other than that, it was such a great way to celebrate our anniversary.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Jennifer R
GExperience_MeliaNB, General Manager at Melia Nassau Beach - All Inclusive, responded to this review, 13 August 2014
Hello Jennifer R,
Thank you for choosing the Melia Nassau Beach to celebrate such a special occasion with you!
We are so happy that you enjoyed your time with us and appreciate you taking the time to share your experience. We love to hear from our guests as your comments help us to ensure we continue to provide our guests with memorable experiences.

Happy Anniversary and I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you again soon!

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 9 August 2014

Stench in the hallways . Bathroom Bathtub . Prices do lunch hot dog $13
Internet was bad.people were friendly
Lunch buffet was pretty good. Pool bartender refused to give me a cup of water
Jacuzzi was filthy

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Melia Hotels International

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Thank you for choosing the Melia Nassau Beach and for taking the time to share your experience with us. I am happy to know that you enjoyed our buffet and friendly associates.
I will discuss your concerns with my team for discussion and improvement.

Please visit us again soon!

Malibu, CA
Reviewed 8 August 2014

Yes - the price was right but boy do you "pay' for it in the lack of decent hotel accommodations. Well decent was just about all it was.
Check in was good - but I assume after reading reviews and hearing first hand from others in our party were just timed it right!

The room - GREAT VIEWS! I could end there but that would not give the full picture.

Start with the "NO's"
No wash cloths
No hand towels
No bath mat
No hand SOAP
2 bath towels for 2 ladies which means either you share, or use 1 towel for both you body & hair
No cushions on the chairs on the patio (ouch)

The room was sort of clean if you don't count that the clock radio was on the floor when we checked in, or that fact that there was a layer of dust on the bed frame (which I actually showed the staff and it still wasn't cleaned up in the 5 days we stayed), nor the stopper in the tub was hanging out, rust on the coffee maker. That's all for the room.

The grounds were beautiful but be careful for all of the chunks of concrete (no wheelchairs, crutches or walkers). No where near enough decent lounge chairs on the beach - I'm talking about the ones without broken pieces, and very few shady spots. This is even on off-season!

After countless calls to housekeeping, front desk even the General Manager -great lip service but nothing was ever resolved. Says a lot about the management - didn't seem to actually care.

After 3 days I stopped a housekeeper to inquire IF i could get an extra towel - and was even offered a bath mat AND hand soap- I truly felt I'd won the lottery.

We took the all inclusive - the price was right and the food decent (eat at the pool area - much better selection). Not enough choices for 5 days of eating the same food. Breakfast was boring and I would have been very angry if I had to pay for the "buffet" - it was that bad. I even saw a server taking pre-made store bought guacamole from a carton and putting it in a bowl. Really?

When we checked out I realized we had left something that had no value but was 100% sentimental - a pillow made of my Mom's sweater - who had passed last year. I immediately called the hotel and explained and told them exactly where to find it. I was told they would contact housekeeping ASAP. I followed up with an email before boarding the flight. 3 days later I received an email from Security saying they are looking now. Really? By then it was useless.

The BEST part of the Melia Nassau was the STAFF (not management). They were friendly and always happy. If it wasn't for them I would have left after 24 hours. They made all of the horrible things something to laugh at.

I would probably go back due to the location, views and staff - but not pay more than $40 per night!

I understand they are renovating the place but until then.. beware!

Room Tip: High floor, beach front. Check the room out before you unpack !!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank 4kona
Dear 4kona,
Thank you for choosing the Melia Nassau Beach and for taking the time to share your experience with us. I am so sorry about the disappointments with your stay and I will share your comments with my team for discussion and improvement. Please know that we do value you as a guest and I am sorry you did not feel that way during your time here.
Its great that you found our associates to be welcoming and friendly and that your stay with us was not completely ruined. I hope you have a change of heart and visit us again giving us the opportunity to regain your confidence in the resort.

Potomac, Maryland
Reviewed 8 August 2014

My husband and I loved the resort. The food, service, room and location was great. From our ocean view room, we could see other resorts along with cruise ships coming and going to the ports. Our room was clean, spacious and comfortable. The resort is not huge which is a plus for me.......short walk to the beach, restaurants, and events. We had nightly entertainment to include live music, karaoke, and Junkanoo performers. There are a couple of local domestic cats that roam the beach and resort area, but nothing to be alarmed about. The cats keep to themselves unless you coax them near you to touch or give a treat. The only negative comment about the resort is they do not have a business center. My husband and I took being on vacation seriously and left our electronic devices at home to fully enjoy our trip. You will need a computer to get your airline boarding pass. The front desk tried to assist us with this process, however, getting your boarding pass takes longer with international travel.

The resort is a short bus ride downtown where you will find the straw market, jewelry and clothing stores as well as many places to party like Senor Frog and other local bars and restaurants. You can also purchase fresh conch shells and star fish from fisherman. We took the bus to the Fish Fry Market and ended up getting a lesson from "Joe" at Goldies about how to crack the conch shell, extract the "meat" and how to eat cooked or uncooked conch. We ended up spending almost 3 hours at the fish fry market.

Room Tip: The ocean view rooms on the 5th floor are awesome.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank K R
Guest Experienc... M, General Manager at Melia Nassau Beach - All Inclusive, responded to this review, 11 August 2014
Dear K R

Great Review. Thank you. We pride ourself on excellent customer service and are happy to hear that you had a wonderful stay. To add to your review about our entertainment, we offer mid morning fitness classes (zumba, aqua aerobics, yoga, kick boxing, and dance), we have a kids program, basket ball, volley ball, jumbo size chess, Tuesday Night Beach BBQ, Wednesday night Salsa classes, Thursday Night Caribbean Night with spectacular shows, and nightly musical entertainment in Esta Vida Bar. There are many other entertainment offerings and we continue to add to the list.

Thanks again,
Nassau, New Providence Island
Reviewed 8 August 2014

This is a great customer service friendly hotel, especially Alexis Henfield she has been so attentive for all our needs. All the staff are warm no matter what the request may be. The food is delicious , but somewhat on the expensive side but so much to choose from. Thank you!!

Room Tip: If you want Wi-Fi get a room on the 3rd or 4th only.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Thelma B
I see you are from Nassau. We love being able to offer something for our neighbors in the community to enjoy. Keep coming back. We have lots of exciting new restaurants in the works!

All the best,
australia
Reviewed 8 August 2014 via mobile

We booked the Melia as an all inclusive package and were pretty happy with it overall. Food was better than most all inclusives I've stayed in - though there are only 3 places to eat, the standard made up for this. The staff, on the whole, were pretty good but I think they were a bit worn out from dealing with the tail end of spring break. The spring breakers we saw were incredibly rude to the staff, barking drink demands and generally not displaying many manners. The hotel itself has been refurbished in the last 5 years and I think most rooms would have a decent view. Speaking to locals at the airport on our way out, they confirmed it's definitely one of the nicer places to stay. Cable beach is also very pretty - clean white sand and blue blue water. Would stay here again if in nassau.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank jenfromsunnyqld
Dear jenfromsunnyqld,
Please do return to Nassau. Our culinary team loves to hear when they have made a positive impact on a guest's stay. I wanted to share some additional news which might encourage you to come back as well. By November, we plan to have 3 additional restaurants (Asian,Mexican, and Steakhouse) as well as a few nice bars, all which will keep the same culinary standards to satisfy the distinguished tastes of our many travelers.

Andrew Tilley
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nassau
Atlantis, Royal Towers, Autograph Collection
Grand Hyatt Baha Mar
Grand Hyatt Baha Mar
#2 of 37 in Nassau
Sandals Royal Bahamian Spa Resort & Offshore Island

Been to Melia Nassau Beach - All Inclusive? Share your experiences!