Coral Harbour Beach House and Villas
US$631
US$552
US$399
US$372
No availability for your dates from our partners
  • Pool
All reviewsrental carminute drivebreakfast was includedsmall hotelclose to the airportworked fineexcellent staythe ritzstarfishprovidenceislandbahamascigar
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 15 September 2013

We all understand that cultures, societies, and circumstances have undeniably made each of us into different people, with common needs, wants, and desires. I get that, and I would never suggest to anyone that my opinions are better or more superior than theirs... However, in the case of reading the reviews of this hotel, I am left confused, bewildered, and dumbfounded by how much hate can come from or be inspired by something so close to simple perfection.
In many ways expectation is something of a curse. Without it, even the most base elements of satisfaction or enjoyment can be savored individually, as if nothing that has been or has yet to be as good as the moment of now and the bliss that it can provide. This curse, I believe, is caused by over-stimulus, and perhaps a slight notion of self-aggrandizement, and drives us to think of things not in the context of what they are, but instead in a way that refuses to see them as anything separate from the all important "me". So, if you are one of these "me's" and your life has taught you to experience things through pretense and the curse of expectation, then I can say to you honestly and with unabashed certainty that you will not be pleased with any of your experiences, much less this hotel. We, however are not "them", and found this place to be effortlessly inspired and haven't yet stopped talking about our stay.
Admittedly, the buildings are very much like many of the apartments that I have lived in throughout my life.... worn. This being said, they provide an atmosphere that is truly indicative of what turns out to be Bahaman culture. Things are shared amongst the community, and the quality comes from many different avenues, and these avenues throughout the day and well into the night can bring a spectrum of experience that can color your stories for months and years to come.
The days can be spent lounging in the many hammocks, and down on their virtually private beach drinking beers or classic cocktails of the islands. Or for those who like to mix their slight intoxication with activity, bring a snorkel. From break wall to break wall is yours, with all of the nature in between to witness. And with the waters only being about six feet deep, offer to those willing a different look at what lies beneath the crystal clear waters.
The nights seemed to be filled with the banter of locals and ex-pats, all set to the far off sounds of thunder further out to sea. For this exceptionally phenomenal vistas, I would highly recommend bringing a high quality camera.... maybe even with video capabilities. After all, sunsets and lightning where the world meets the water are never something that should be forgotten.
Honestly, we found there, a place that we can't wait to run back to. It won't be for everyone. It is far away from the rest of the world, and I can imagine that taking a twenty dollar cab ride into the city isn't worth it to some, having the hotel arrange to rent you one of their cars for surprisingly low rates is too much of a hassle. But for those wanting their own little piece of something, who want a delicious fish taco, a good story of a family owned hotel, a way above par Bahama mama made by Jay, a practically private beach or a beach long enough to find your own little nook or two, or just simply a room with a view, this place serves as one of the better ones I have experienced through my travels.

Room Tip: Ask for a room closer to the ocean.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
9  Thank samj3k
Reviewed 14 July 2013

I've stayed in some decrepit hotels over the years, but, considering this was $132/night, this might take the cake. It really deserved a 0-star rating, but, unfortunately, I’m limited to giving it a generous star.

It really is in the middle of nowhere, but not in a good way. I’d describe it’s location as the epicenter of a neighborhood dedicated to misfit toys – unfinished luxury developments, run-down group housing, and neglected landscapes. It’s a solid 20 minute walk to the nearest convenience store and a 20-25 minute drive due south of the airport.

My 7-month pregnant wife and I got out of the cab and attempted to check in, but found the front desk unattended. After several minutes of waiting idly, the front desk attendant/bar tender saw us and said she’d be with us “in a minute.” She went back to her cell phone to resume texting and continued to ignore my wife and I for 10 more minutes. She eventually came over to the front desk, and, after another 10 minutes of texting, started the check-in process.

Red lights were beginning to go off in our minds. This girl showed us our room, which was up a somewhat hidden passageway of narrow, unventilated steps that led to an unnumbered door. It was shockingly hot as we stepped in, probably somewhere in the 105-110 degree range. An odor of unknown putrefaction hung in the stale air. The in-room A/C unit read 17 degrees Celsius so we figured it had just been turned on.

That was around 3pm. By 10pm, it was still 85 degrees or so.

As you can see from the pictures, the place hadn’t been renovated since it was built in the 1970s. A tourist map attached to the entranceway with packing tape, really? The whole room was dirty. Rust, dirt, grime, you name it. What about the promised kitchenette? Oh, I guess that meant an unplugged refrigerator with some tile work in the general vicinity.

We headed outside for a bit to check out the fabled beach and get away from the heat, meaning the heat in our room. The property’s “beach” would be pathetic on the US East Coast. Maybe 30 feet wide, murkier than a clogged toilet, and it was ridiculously small.

Apparently Saturday night is karaoke night for the locals, from 8pm to about midnight. Our room shook from the vibrating sound system for nearly FOUR HOURS. Did I mention my wife was pregnant? Or that we assumed we’d be staying in a quiet hotel? Tried to switch rooms but no one was around. No big surprise there.

Cleaning crew was making a ton of noise well before 7am on Sunday. The continental breakfast was not hygienic. I wouldn’t trust anything that could spoil since the room it was hosted in was probably hotter than our own room.

We checked out early. I will say the gal running the front desk that morning was actually competent and very apologetic for our miserable stay. Nevertheless, you can only make up for so much. We took a taxi to the airport a few hours earlier than normal so we could escape.

The accommodations would have been less horrendous if we were paying $40-50 a night, but, at more than $130/night, we would have been better off staying at a clean hotel somewhere else on the island or even just camping out in the airport terminal overnight.

OK, so hopefully you get the point. Don’t be fooled by the nicer reviews.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank jardfich
Reviewed 9 June 2013

This is the most difficult review I've ever written as some aspects of the Coral Harbour are very good whilst others are disappointing, hence the overall rating I've given as being average.
I will begin with some of the things that I think other people should be aware of prior to booking this accommodation, and then offer some positives later in the review.

My husband and I stayed here for a few nights in early March and our main issue with the accommodation is the way in which it is misrepresented in terms of the amenities nearby. There are none! In the Coral Harbour beach house and villas leaflet that I picked up in reception, and which includes various claims also made on the Web, it states that "Coral Harbour abounds in fun and adventurous things to do...enjoy by bicycle or on foot...scuba diving and snorkelling 5 mins away, horse back riding on the beach, guided kayak tours, kayak rentals, nature walks, bird watching tours, biking, tennis". It also claims that it is "only minutes from our new shopping centre with grocery store offering all the supplies you'll need".

I envisaged my husband (who is very active and not much of 'laying on the beach' person) being able to wander down the road and get involved in water sports while I laid on the beach reading.

Upon arrival we got a fairly expensive taxi from the airport to Coral Harbour and were surprised at how isolated the property is. We had not arranged a car rental as we were under the impression that there was a range of amenities in the vicinity.

Having checked in we thought we would go to the grocery store to purchase some snacks and beers to enjoy on our balcony overlooking the ocean, and some supplies to cook on the barbecue that was allegedly available with the 'one-bedroom villa' (more on this later) we had booked. It was a 20 minute walk to the store, which offered a fairly limited selection of provisions and did not sell alcohol.

We always prefer to book self-catering accommodation as it allows flexibility over meals. However, far from the "well-equipped kitchenette" described online, there was actually next to nothing in the way of kitchenware. My husband took photographs of the virtually empty cupboards and I will try to upload these later. However, aside from a few plates, cups, glasses, a couple of knives and forks, and one pan, there was nothing.
In addition, when we enquired about the barbecue, we were told there was a communal barbecue that we could use near the restaurant but it clearly was not something that the owners expected guests to do.
Consequently, with the limitations of both the grocery store and the catering facilities, self-catering was not an option and this meant that all meals had to be purchased from the on-site restaurant.

There appeared to be at least three different menus, with the same dishes listed on each at different prices. We ordered a couple of dishes more than once and received very different meals each time! That said, the food was mostly good, especially the cracked conch. We did have to wait nearly two hours one evening for our meal, and I suspect that the prices were set on the basis of guests having no other dining option.

in terms of the accommodation, when booking I had originally looked at the 'king studio with kitchenette' but as the price quoted for the 'one-bedroom villa' for our five night stay was only £42 more, and the description of this sounded much better, I decided to opt for that instead.
The description, which I printed out when booking, was as follows: Featuring sea views, this air-conditioned villa offers 1 king bedroom, a living area with flat-screen cable TV and a well-equipped kitchenette...It also has a sofa bed and a safe. Villa Facilities: balcony, sea view, garden view, TV, radio, air conditioning, iron, desk, seating area, fan, beds, carpeted floor, private entrance, sofa, soundproofing, tiled/marble floor, hairdryer, toilet, bathroom, bath or shower, additional toilet, tea/coffee maker, refrigerator, microwave, kitchen, dining area, stove, toaster, barbecue, wake up service/alarm clock.
Very few of these facilities were atually provided. When I showed the staff the printed description they said it was incorrect and the 'one-bedroom villa' has either a balcony (if upstairs) or a seating area with sofabed (if downstairs). The picture of the villa shows two storeys, and together with the description is somewhat misleading. Interestingly, the picture that accompanies the description of the 'king studio with kitchenette' was clearly taken in the bedroom area of the accommodation in which we stayed. Despite pointing this out we were still charged the price of the villa.
The bed was comfortable but accommodation overall is fairly basic. The TV did not work but since we don't tend to watch much television anyway, least of all whilst on holiday, this was not really a problem. In addition, you get what you pay for and, despite being charged for an accommodation type that we did not stay in, this is a cheap place to stay on the island.
There is a service charge of $19.50 per day, and the room was cleaned thoroughly with all bedding being changed every day except for the day before we were leaving. That night I got bitten all over my feet and ankles by something in the bed.

As the property is so isolated it was difficult to pursue any complaints as we had made an arrangement with the owner's son to be taken to the airport on our departure day (for a price, of course) and we did not want to end up being unable to get to the airport.

In addition, we were told when settling the bill that there was an extra 6% charge for paying by card (credit or debit). There was no sign displayed anywhere that indicated this or we would have gone to the bank when we visited downtown Nassau. Since there are no amenities nearby, and hence no way of withdrawing cash, this seems like yet another way of taking advantage of a 'captive audience'.

I realise that it may sound as though we did not enjoy our stay but in fact we had a very nice time. The beach was deserted most of the time, offering the scene that is so often pictured in holiday brochures but seldom found, and the lack of amenities was actually very relaxing. The sea is warm and clear so that it is possible to see many starfish on the ocean bed. The decking area overlooking the sea is lovely, and the staff are pleasant. The bar was good fun, with a friendly crowd of locals and ex-pats, and the barman Ricky is great.
The Bahamians are delightful and we met several people who were really helpful and kind, including Lutz who saw us walking back from the grocery store with heavy bags and gave us a lift despite it being out of his way.
The pool table has seen better days, and to call the room it is in a 'games room' is a bit of an exaggeration, but it was fun to play a few games of pool with some of the locals.

We caught a bus to downtown Nassau one day and actually returned to Coral Harbour immensely pleased to be staying there instead, away from the crowds and in a peaceful environment. The bus was a great experience, and we had lunch in a lovely Greek restaurant in downtown Nassau which we would highly recommend.

Overall, our stay was relaxing but I think others should be aware of the ways in which this accommodation is misrepresented.
We would not go back because of the misrepresentations but for a tranquil short break on a budget, as long as you know what to expect and what not to expect, I would recommend the Coral Harbour. Just don't get duped into booking a one-bedroom villa, when in fact you'll be paying for a villa but staying in a king studio, and don't expect to be making use of the kitchenette or barbecue!

Room Tip: The location is great if you want to completely get away from it all or for those who are island-hopping, but perhaps not ideal for longer stays without a car. The king studio with kitchenette is probably the best choice if you want a fridge to keep water or soft drinks in.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Alison C
Reviewed 18 May 2013

We stayed at Coral Beach for a night and we really enjoyed it. Warmly welcomed by Jay on our arrival, we felt very comfortable in this place. Our room was clean and cozy with a nice terrace viewing the beach. Breakfast was fine, enjoyed the waffles.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank lubval
Reviewed 11 April 2013

We recently took a trip to the Bahamas, and due to bad weather, had to spend an unexpected night in Nassau. The Coral Harbour was extremely accommodating, we arrived late in the evening after not being able to get a flight and the host was very kind to us. We were only there for a short time, but felt very welcomed. They offer a free breakfast where you can make your own waffles, so that was a good way to start the day. They have a nice beach area and it's in a peaceful part of the island...

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple