A Stones Throw is a gem west of Nassau. A gem with poor management, I´m afraid.
It is a charmig house with a lot of really cool furniture. I really like the style. But that does not help. The place feels worn out all over, broken glass in the windows, broken sunloungers, dirty cushions and actually dirty all over. If this house and garden had been well maintained it would have been just wonderful.
Restaurant? No there is no restaurant. Or? We were told to book dinner in advance so we did. "No need for reservations" was the answer. We arrived and there was no dinner, not even a welcoming drink. "You can go down the road, we have no dinner restaurant" we were told. Our last night, we asked for a sandwich. "Eat dinner instead, we have a restaurant". ??? Really bad communication.
We were served dinner and wine by most charming Colin! He is lightning up this place.
There is no private beach, they take you to Nirvana beach on Love beach. If the driver is available. They have watersports equipment, sunloungers and umbrellas there, they tell you. No umbrellas but four sunloungers is what we found, and we were told to pay for the loungers on the beach, and pay for staying on the beach or eat and drink! And a very few plastic canoes was the watersport equipment. Not at all as the hotel presented it.
Anyway, the beach is just gorgeous. Wonderful. So go there!
Gourmet breakfast cooked outside? No way. The breakfast is nice, good and tasty and the breakfastservant is so nice, he shines like the sun. But it is not exactly gourmet, it is a good breakfast. And not cooked by a nice chef on the deck. The best part is that it is really quiet and nice to have your breakfast here.
You have no safe in the room and no safe in the reception. That felt not so good, but you were told it was safe. Well... Maybe it is so. But we came back several times, and the house was open, but not guarded. Did not feel too secure.
Living here is easier if you have a car. Walking home by this dark road after dinner by the ocean was really scary.
Several of the staff, not all of them, were not very informative. Several of them seemed quite uninterested in you. Not at all the warm feeling a place like this should offer their guests.
It is nice with the bar where you serve yourself, but the warmth and the heart in this house is missing.
My husband felt bad one day, then the manager went to the pharmacy for him. Really nice of him! And John, the driver, is really a kind person.
So it is a gem, it is nice. But I am sorry to say, it is poor.
And for you who are not young and strong, it is an awful lot of stairs to reach the house, it is situated on top of a rock. It definitely is.
The morning we left a cockroach waved me goodbye in our bathroom.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- At the west end of New Providence lies an exquisite hideaway. A STONE'S THROW AWAY is perched on one of the highest elevations by the coast. Here our Guests can indulge in a rare panoramic view of Nassau 's land and sea. The scenery boasts the best of the island's natural wonders, from the native pine forest by Lake Killarney to the brim of the coral reefs that protect the glimmering beaches of west Nassau. The property was recently built to echo the traditions of an old Bahamian home: wood floors and wood ceilings, louvered shutters and a large wrap around porch bring the visitors back to a quieter time long ago when the music of the islands could be heard in the whispers of the trade winds. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Odigeo, Travel Republic (UK), Hotels.com, Ebookers, getaroom.com, HotelsClick, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your A Stone's Throw Away reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- a Stone`s Throw Away Hotel Nassau
- A Stone's Throw Away Bahamas/Nassau