“Without Peer”

One & Only Ocean Club
Ranked #3 of 14 Hotels in Paradise Island
Reviewed 17 August 2013

As of this review, The Ocean Club is currently rated 7 out of 14 on Paradise Island by the reviewers on Trip Advisor - and that speaks to the outrageous inadequacy of this system. To suggest that the Comfort Suites may be two spots higher in rank? ABSURD. Not only is Ocean Club easily the finest hotel in The Bahamas but it is one of the best hotel experiences I have found on the planet to date.

From the very second you arrive on property, your serene escape is assured. Every detail has been thought of, every tradition upheld, every staff member completely committed to your comfort and every comfort provided. It is 'fantasy island' in the very best sense of those words. I encountered the warmest smiles, the MOST delicious food at Dune Restaurant, the perfect beach experience, exotic gardens, bedding beyond perfection and thoughtful amenities around every corner. Champagne delivered to the room at sundown daily? Wow, that's a beautiful touch.

I have a VERY hard time relaxing. Anywhere. The Ocean Club transported me to a place of tranquility that I rarely experience. They took care of everything with the perfect balance of casual and very proper and attentive. It was always welcoming, gracious and sincere. When it was time to check out, I genuinely hated handing me keys over to the front desk. That's what I call a successful hotel stay.

The fact that it is connected to Atlantis with complimentary Ocean Club shuttle made dining and entertaining very easy to charge and experience before 'escaping' back to my private retreat. I CANNOT wait to return and only hope that absolutely nothing changes because this was one perfect hotel stay. There may be a genuine reason it is called the 'One & Only' Ocean Club - because in my mind, that is absolute truth in advertising.

Room Tip: Ocean view rooms are more expensive and likely worth it to many, but having stayed in a Garden view...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
6  Thank sfdann

Reviewed 16 August 2013

Everything was excellent, great and helpful staff, great rooms, toilets and bedding.

Everything is very, bery pricy. Basically for the same level of 'luxury' found at some of the really top hotels worldwide, the Ocean Club is twice as much. Worth it? Up to you but not in my opinion, but then Nassau has little of anything else to offer IMO, so park yourself at the Ocean Club and spend a lot of $.

BTW the center city has little to offer except for the cruise shippers daily port visit and shopping stops {and is dangerous at night. Not that there is anything to see anyway.} Expats and Businessmen told us that they all have to live in gated protected communities. Too much unabated crime.

The Ocean Club is way apart from this, on an island away from the town center, no real reason to leave. There are two good restaurants, one casual on the ocean with some out-door tables {and a separate bar structure} and another finer restaurant in the hotel, more formal.

One annoyance was encountering often the odd marketing slogan 'The One and Only' Ocean Club. Seemed silly. Someone's idea of a catchy slogan I guess. Bad idea.

They do offer a very well run kids activity program. There is a private pool area for kids and families. Very much appreciated as is the light lunch restaurant located nearby.

There are free shuttles to Atlantis, but why bother- its very over-crowed {and the little casino doesn't not have a poker room}. BTW one of my kids got separated from the family in the Atlantis water park and after calling out for help the unconcerned staff said, "It will be OK, they always get found eventually". !!! Really!!! Very comforting when a 8 year old who doesn't speak english is lost. We were crazy with worry and they said that! After 1hour 20 minutes he was found by us, no help from anyone. We were all furious over this but just wanted to get away from that place instead of raising the issue with top management.
So go to the Ocean Club, spend outrageous amounts of money and enjoy the place. Nothing wrong that I could find.

Room Tip: Ocean view ones are great
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 August 2013

The resort is set in the most beautiful grounds with manicured gardens, a huge (adults only) pool and easy access to a magnificent beach.

We stayed in the the Hartford wing on the ground floor and the room was super, very well appointed.

Dune restaurant overlooks the ocean and the food is good as is the The Courtyard.

Because the resort is so spread out you never feel crowded and compared with Atlantis (which you can visit via their complimentary shuttle) it is a place of tranquility; the kids club and kids pool keep children out of sight although I cannot understand why you would bring kids here when there is so much more for them to do at Atlantis.

The negatives are the attitude of the staff: the reception lady was offhand and their much vaunted butler service is a joke; on arrival you get a big speech about how they will refresh your fruit, bring ice and take care of your every need. The reality is that they are entirely reactive vs proactive and have to be chased for any kind of service. You also feel that the staff perpetually have their hands out for tips despite the 15% added to all bills. Failure to tip results in a scowl!

4 nights is plenty and mid week is better if you can avoid weekends when there is more pressure on facilities and restaurants.

Room Tip: Go for ground floor in the Hartford wing.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank hesiod58
Reviewed 12 August 2013

I just returned from a stay at the O&O.... The staff goes out of their way to be helpful. When spending this type of money for a room, I appreciate the small complimentary treats - tea, coffee, fruit, hats, water etc... I moved to the Atlantis after a few days and the move made me appreciate O&O all the more.
The grounds are beautiful, view stunning, food tasty. The rooms need updating but are clean and spacious. The tranquility of O&O can not be matched. I think I might prefer O&O over The Cove. It gives you a real laid back relaxing feel.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank demboys
Reviewed 11 August 2013

We booked 3 ocean view suites at $1475 each per night. It is important to understand that on top of this rate is added 20% tax and an automatic gratuity. The $1475 becomes $1760 before you begin. We had booked last minute and had booked the room category that would be available for our early morning arrival. On arriving at the hotel at 7.30am all appeared good with this plan as the receptionist told us that the rooms were indeed unoccupied and Housekeeping would arrive at 9am to give them a 'check over'. As suggested we went over to Dunes Restaurant for breakfast.
Dunes is right on the waterfront and there is a choice of open tables with beach view, tables inside the airconditioned restaurant or inside tables by open windows. The food and the service on that morning was superb albeit expensive at $24 for a plate of fruit and $10 to $12 for a fruit juice. We went back to reception at 9.30am but then had to wait for many hours to get our room. The weak link of this hotel is the reception and office side and this became apparent early on. Having said that the rooms were beautiful, the resort is stunningly beautiful. The gardens are very well maintained. The staff are very vigorous about maintaining the exclusivity of the resort and on your first day you will be asked for ID everywhere you go. After the first day the staff remember you and you feel welcome. The restaurants at the resort are limited to just 2 in the evening. The Dune is superb but very busy, you definitely have to book. The other restaurant is the Courtyard but that is only open from Thursday to Sunday. It is a nice setting but the food is not as good as The Dune. Everything at the resort is horrendously expensive and there are no coffee machines in the suites. However, there is free coffee available at the Library bar from 7am to 11am and lemonade is available after that for most of the afternoon. The hotel provides the use of 2 SUVs for guests and these are worth using to get some additional value from your stay. My best advice would be to recommend that you check your bill carefully at the end of your stay. It took them 3 times to get the bill right and all of the errors were in their favour. If your room rate includes continental breakfast you need to make sure that when you have breakfast you deduct the value of the continental breakfast before you sign the bill otherwise it is quite a fight to get the bill corrected afterwards. Having moaned about the Admin this hotel is very good and people are friendly and welcoming. We will definitely go again when we need to stay somewhere in Nassau.

Room Tip: If you are booking as part of the Amex Centurion Promotion (as we were) book each night seperately...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
6  Thank mhbeowner
Reviewed 7 August 2013

Our family of 4 including two children in their 20s went to the Ocean Club in early May 2013. I read the reviews on Trip Advisor carefully, as it always helps to know what to expect. The recurring theme I found in the reviews was that some people felt that the place was overpriced and the service was below par unless the workers were tipped. With that in mind, I took about $200 in five dollar bills on our trip. I decided that the trip was expensive; if a few dollars in tips made it more enjoyable, then it was worth it to me.
So here are my impressions:
The physical hotel- absolutely perfect for me. We couldn't afford the rooms in the newer wing of the hotel, but we were upgraded to them upon checkin. What a wonderful surprise. The hotel is only 2 stories high, which I love. I hate crowded high rise hotels. The Ocean Club is spread out, so nothing is ever crowded, and the grounds are peaceful and beautifully maintained.

Service- was impeccable. I don't have any complaints at all. Everyone was friendly and helpful and made our stay very relaxing and peaceful.

The ocean- we've been several places in the Caribbean, and I have never seen water prettier than this.
The only thing not perfect was the onsite restaurant, and I will do a separate review on that.
By the way, I only spent about $100 on tips during our 5 day stay.
I recommend the Ocean Club highly!

Room Tip: The newer wing is the way to go
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank MamaCarlon
Reviewed 7 August 2013

Much less busy than the nearby atlantis, but this worked perfectly for me as my girlfriend and I could enjoy a really romantic stay at the ocean club, and then head over to the atlantis if we wanted to party. Breakfast overlooking the ocean is one experience we will never forget. Nothing was too much trouble for the staff, even had my butler organise an emergency dentist appointment for me and then he drove me over in his car and waited outside until I finished. I love this place.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Sandals Royal Bahamian Spa Resort & Offshore Island
Grand Hyatt Baha Mar
Grand Hyatt Baha Mar
#1 of 37 in Nassau

Been to One & Only Ocean Club? Share your experiences!