“Still a great hotel -- our fifth time here in 4 years”

The Ocean Club, A Four Seasons Resort, Bahamas
Ranked #3 of 14 Hotels in Paradise Island
Reviewed 24 February 2014

You can see my earlier reviews but we came for 3 nights, this time in a suite in the Hartford wing downstairs. We were very pleased. There were some maintenance issues but they were dealt with after we reported them. The shower in the room has a wide fluctuation of hot and cold water and doesn't keep its temperature well. We like the food and grounds and the ability to go to Atlantis and have the kids take to the slides for a day to break things up. The menus stay the same from year to year but they have things down pat here so why change it? Spa was very good as well, but I would be happier if they would add some spa facilities such as a sauna and jacuzzi. One nice thing about being a returning guest is that a good number of staff people remember us from year to year. I've noticed various reviews stating deterioration of the property and service but frankly I didn't find that to be the case. I saw people working at night to restore hammocks that fell and I didn't notice anything wrong on the property. That would be unfair to the many people on staff who really do appear to enjoy their jobs and guests and do them well.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank 649ic

Reviewed 23 February 2014

We were shocked by the lack of service at this….supposedly the most upscale hotel on Nassau. What a shame as the property itself is lovely and well situated next to the bustling Atlantis resort.

Upon our arrival we were told proudly that we would have not one but two butlers at our disposal, 24/7 ….we actually rarely saw them. In fact when we only had two bath towels in our room for the three of us (my husband, myself and our daughter), we called our butlers for more bath towels and after waiting an hour we had to call AGAIN and ended up waiting an additional 1/2 hour to get towels from the butler? No… housekeeping. The housekeeping staff did do a good job and when it came time to leave and we wanted to make sure that our housekeepers got the tip that they had earned. They told us to leave it in an envelope for them at the front desk otherwise, guess who would claim it? The butlers.

But that's not all…. our first breakfast in the hotel we waited forever to be served our coffee and the entire breakfast took over an hour and a half. We ended up ordering our breakfast to our room so that it would come on time. But it took hours for the leftover room service trays to be collected. The meals at the restaurants were very expensive and the tuna that my husband ordered actually came to the table cold.

When we approached the tennis court personnel to try to book a pro for an hour in the late afternoon, we asked if there was anyone available to teach at 5:00, 5:30, or 6:00 only to be told "no". Not… I'm sorry they're all booked then, let me see what we can work out… Just "no". When we kept probing for the next day's availability, the answer "we're totally booked".

It seemed as though everyone had their hand out constantly for a cash tip despite the fact that we were charged an additional almost $200 per day for service and taxes on top of our $1,050 per night room rate. For $1200+ per day we expected to have much better service than we received.

After expressing our displeasure to the manager in person the night before we left and again when we were checking out, the concierge staff promised that someone would be calling us to apologize but…. it's been a week and we still haven't received that call.

Needless to say we will not be going back to the One & Only Ocean Club EVER.
And we would not recommend that you go there either...

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the restaurants so it won't be so noisy
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
10  Thank nomad579
Reviewed 20 February 2014

This is a truly beautiful resort - the grounds, gardens and the beach are gorgeous. The library/main lobby and restaurant is modern, clean, luxurious and make you feel as if you are staying at a wealthy friend's estate in paradise. Comfortable, well-decorated and lush. However, the rooms in the older section of the hotel need to be updated. After taxes, gratuities and all is added in to the $850 a night price tag (for the cheapest room) it comes to over $1,000 a night. For that, you expect luxury, you expect to be "wowed" and "wooed" by staff. Unfortunately, that is not what we received. In my opinion, the Ritz Carlton (St. Thomas, Grand Caymans) or the Four Seasons are so much better and are truly luxurious. This hotel would have been worth it at $500 a night, but not at $1,000.

That being said, there were a lot of positives:

The Pro's:

- the grounds and gardens (particularly the terraced Versailles gardens) are beautiful and it has a rather "old" feeling to it since it was once the private retreat of Huntington Hartford II and dubbed his "Shangri-La." I loved this bit of history.
- Complimentary coffee in the morning is excellent, however, some muffins, croissants, etc. would have also been nice given the exorbitant price tag. We just felt "nickeled and dimed."
- service was a bit lazy, but I brought $200 in $5 bills and tipped everyone all the time, so they were nice to us. (But again, should we have to do that on top of the $6K we spent to stay there 4 nights? And the 20% gratuity added into the bill?)
- we were upgraded free of charge to an ocean view room, which was spectacular!! Probably the highlight of our stay was sitting on the large terrace each night enjoying the ocean views.
- the crib was set up for our 15 month old baby upon our arrival, as we requested.
- the food was sometimes very good, and the drinks were too. Don't expect any decent wine though...only by the bottle and very over-priced.
- the butler went out and got us more baby food and brought it to the room in an hour, so nice!
- beach chairs with umbrellas attached, water, magazines, little tables, towels and free suntan lotion at beach and pools...although the chairs were showing their age...
- complimentary private car to and from the airport and a shuttle to Atlantis
- gorgeous kiddie pool that my baby girl loved
- the resort is large, so it is not crowded and you feel as if you are in your own private paradise

The cons:

- very, very over-priced
- the butler did not unpack, bring fresh fruit or replenish ice as they said and as advertised. I think he brought us ice twice in 5 days - once when we arrived and once when I tipped him $15 for getting $25 worth of baby food.
- I inquired about a boat and the lady was nice but in the end, unhelpful. I go to the Caribbean every year and always charter a private boat for a couple hours - nothing fancy- and it is anywhere from $700 to $1,000 in St. Thomas, Grand Caymans, Mayan Riviera, St. Kitts, Aruba...you get my drift, everywhere. Well, the lady told me she could not get me a small boat for an hour for less than $2,700?!?!?!?! Okay...
- the facial I received was very expensive and I give it a 4 out of 10 stars. The lady kept the bright lights on the whole time (blinding my eyes although closed - no little cucumbers or pads to cover them and cut down on the glare), I felt a bit uncomfortable in the "private villa" as she left me there - alone---for 15 minutes to let the product soak in (came back in to the villa noisily), no sauna/steam room nothing to use before and after treatment....but the worst was that my lady was not calm and soothing, but rather, she banged about with products and was loud and clanging things around the whole time...definitely not relaxing. It unnerved me. Oh, and it was about $300.
- some of the food was mediocre (don't get me wrong, a lot of it is excellent) and for $30 salads and $60 entrees, that is just unacceptable.
- the shop on the resort was extremely expensive and not that great. They had a couple of things you might need but we had to go to Atlantis (which is a horrible Vegas-like monstrosity nearby) to get forgotten items like tampons, baby sunscreen, diapers, etc. I would have also liked to have purchased a new cover up or something there --- sorry, not for $500 for a pool caftan.
- we were nearly out of bath products (which are lovely Molton Brown) before they were replenished

I think that if we stayed in the newer wing we might be more enthusiastic about the rooms (since they are new and remodeled) but what would we have had to spend to get that? Nearly $2,000 a night. Again, not worth the money.

Overall, it was beautiful... the beach is just a pure white sand and the water is bright turquoise (simply stunning) and it is truly a gorgeous property. I am glad that I went. It felt special when you strolled around the lawn, had a drink at the beautiful seaside bar, or walked through the Versailles gardens. However, I would not go back again due to the high rates, which are simply not a good value for what you get.

We stayed at Little Palm Island just off of FL a couple of years ago and that had a similar price tag. HOWEVER, that property, the rooms, food, restaurant, spa....all of it was just amazing and totally worth the money. Sadly, the Ocean Club needs to do some serious upgrades and spiff up the service level (and the food) to even come close.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
9  Thank Madi1
Reviewed 19 February 2014

You immediately know that things have changed at the Ocean Club when you are greeted with a valet parking charge of $16 which is a $6 increase on last year. My car was parked 10 yards from the front door so not a great start. Seemed short sighted to us to give such a mercenary first impression which , although its only an additional $6, it has deterred a number of locals who dined regularly at both Dunes and the Courtyard restaurants. We had the most superb evening in the courtyard last year but this year the menu was such a disappointment. One of our guests simply couldn't find an appetizer that they liked and the ones who chose the melon and mint soup wished they too had passed on this course. The salads looked more like a typical garnish but the entree's were fine. But only just . All in all the evening was a great disappointment after such excellent evenings in the past. Nevertheless Dunes still represents the best location in the Bahamas for lunch .

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Ian T
Reviewed 15 February 2014

For Valentines and my anniversary, I decided to send my girlfriend to the spa for an experience of a lifetime. I surprised her with her with this, so she had no idea what to expect, seeing that this is her first time. The surprise was on me when she was done. She said she enjoyed a massage and a facial, but I bought a spa package, and she never got the experience of having a relaxing ceremony. She was rushed into a massage, then a facial, then told that it concluded her time at the spa. I paid a lot of money for the ceremony promised under "Spa Collections", and my girlfriend received something she could have got to any local spa in the New Providence/Paradise Island area. Furthermore, I called the spa to express my disappointment. I was immediately put on hold, and hung on the phone for nearly 10 minutes. Then after calling back, I got a voicemail. When booking the spa appointment, they said their "system was down", hence the reason why I had to go in to purchase the "Recharge". The service I got was subpar and anything but polite. This spa is a great spa, but to have this happen was a surprising disappointment. Now my girlfriend is extremely sad to learn of the experience that I paid for, that she never received.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank TeejGrant
Reviewed 14 February 2014

Having visited 16 years ago, I always wanted to return to this exclusive luxury hotel.
What a shame the staff are now totally disinterested in their jobs, service was NOT with a smile.
Meals were slow, and a feeling that the staff resented the guests was extremely evident.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Walkingdudes24
Reviewed 13 February 2014

My husband surprised me with a trip to One and Only Beach Club for my 40th birthday. I have to say this was one of the best vacations we've gone on. We were taken care of from the moment we got through customs. He did call the resort and arranged for transportation. Something I recommend doing or else you will be waiting awhile for a taxi as there are lots of people arriving. We also upgraded to the crescent wing with beach view. These rooms are newer and beautiful.
The Dune was great for breakfast. Anthony took care of us every morning with his smile and exceptional service. Our favorite place for dinner though was Café Martinique down at the marina. Our butlers Jason and Raquel made all of our dinner reservations. The night of my birthday they decorated our room with rose petals and candles. Upon leaving at 8 am we found out that our flights were cancelled due to bad weather. Tayana the concierge put us in our same room at a discounted rate for the night. We got an extra day and it was wonderful. I cant forget to mention the guys on the beach. They saw us coming and immediately got our chairs ready.
This was definitely a vacation to remember. The grounds are beautiful and well kept. We can't wait to go back!!

Room Tip: Choose an ocean view room on the crescent wing.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Sandals Royal Bahamian Spa Resort & Offshore Island
Grand Hyatt Baha Mar
Grand Hyatt Baha Mar
#1 of 37 in Nassau

Been to The Ocean Club, A Four Seasons Resort, Bahamas? Share your experiences!