“Such a disappointment”

Ranked #6 of 14 Hotels in Paradise Island
Atlanta, Georgia
“Such a disappointment”
Reviewed 12 March 2014

My husband and I spent Christmas 2013 here. We would not return to this hotel and would be hesitant to recommend it to friends. The price of the hotel is too high to justify the lack of service offered, and to be honest, the rooms are a little shabby...

There is a lack of urgency about the service here. After being shown to our room, we waited an age for our luggage to be delivered and when I returned to reception to collect the bags myself, they were still sitting on the steps to the hotel, with several staff members standing around chatting. This was to set the tone for the entire stay. Like a previous reviewer, we were told we had a personal butler, who consequently proved so elusive, I think we glimpsed him once....

According to the hotel information; room and suite amenities include the following:

24 hour butler service (the invisible man)
Welcome beverage (glass of lemonade)
Unpacking/packing luggage service (had to retrieve own luggage from lobby)
Garment pressing, one per guest (?)
Fresh fruit upon arrival (yes, and it was very nice)
Champagne and strawberries each afternoon (this happened on the first day only, each subsequent day it arrived later and later - after we had left the room for our 8pm dinner - and arriving back to the room at 11pm to a glass of warm, flat fizzy wine, somewhat defeats the purpose. The last night of the stay it didn't appear at all)
Pillow menu (no clue)
Mineral water (yes)
One&only ocean club caps (yes - very nice)

The food standard is actually very good, but the slow and seemingly begrudging service really made every dining experience slightly stressful. I don't want to be seated and looking at a menu for 20 minutes before anyone approaches to even offer us a drink or ask if we have any questions about the menu. This is a minimum level of service at any restaurant in the US, so receive such poor service at a supposedly high end resort is more than a little disappointing.

We have just returned from Cabo San Lucas and based purely upon our experience at the Ocean club we chose not to stay at the One & Only, Palmilla. I doubt we would risk a One & Only resort again....

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
9 Thank Airhostess85

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
  • Polish first
Middletown, New Jersey
Reviewed 7 March 2014

Let me start by saying that in our 3rd visit, things aren't as rosy as in past trips(more on this later). But this place is pretty darn peaceful and classic. Grounds are impeccable and the staff is second to none. Everyone is genuinely interested in your having a good time. Location is the best. Lovely jogging thru the paradise island area.
We were upgraded to a larger ocean view room. Our butler, Valentine, was fantastic and was right on top of ensuring we were getting comfortable. However, after we found out that the hotel was purchased by Brookfield properties(a mall mgt company) we started to understand that they seem more interested in cutting costs than putting something back into the resort. Rooms are getting a bit dated. Our mattress had to be replaced. Rug needed replacing. Some of the little benefits like use of beach bags no longer avail. Beach chairs getting a bit worn as well. Now, with that said, we still loved the resort and overall there were way more positives. Dune restaurant is still terrific. Some light music would be a good idea in the bar area. Overall employee service is second to none. But they better watch out now that Baha Mar with rosewood and others coming in and likely will take some customers. Frankly Brookfield needs to find a buyer that knows hotels. Will we go back. Time will only tell.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
8 Thank mmonch
Woodbury, Minnesota
Reviewed 7 March 2014

While an oasis away from the frantic crowd that is Atlantis, we were somewhat disappointed in our stay. We had to wait nearly two hours past check in time for our room, which was NOT clean. The view was of some exhaust vents, not a "garden" by my definition. Stepping onto patio, we were greeted with a strong smell of cooking food coming from those vents. On a positive note, the staff like most Bahaman natives were very friendly. The restaurants on property and at Atlantis were extremely over priced. (I had forgotten how expensive Paradise Island is). All in all, this was probably our last visit to the property and Nassau for that matter.

Room Tip: An ocean view room.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Jim B
Upper Brookville, NY
Reviewed 6 March 2014

If you have to take a child to Atlantis then by all means take them here...they are owned by the same company? and will take the children to Atlantis for the action ( and you for the black jack) and you can come back and hide from the madness. Not my first time but I do think the rooms need a kick start ( I was not in a renovated room) but I always find the setting tranquil and beautiful and the staff is fantastic. If you have a problem with the staff here I can promise you it is because they have a problem with you so check the attitude at the door...big fan of Dune restaurant ( for breakfast and dinner...seafood so fresh). Daughter stung by a jelly fish and life guards were right there to treat her and take away the sting. We made the mistake of going off campus to eat one day (I will not name the establishment as it is famous and I don't want to malign anyone) but my husband was so violently ill the hotel brought a doctor to us daily to treat him and hydrate him. They couldn't have been more helpful or concerned....take my advice, stay here and by all means explore other places but EAT HERE...the food is great and trustworthy. I would have given 4 and a half stars but needs some upgrades and make no mistake...this is a very expensive place! There was a champagne station out one afternoon and I was asked if I would like a glass ...I think they charged me 23 dollars for the glass...can't remember because I was in shock! Lovely though...and I will be back

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank amc10
Luxembourg City, Luxembourg
Reviewed 26 February 2014

We liked the gardens and the location. Easy for my friend and his work meetings and me for pure holidays.
The staff were kind and always friendly.
I enjoyed the spot but the hotel could have offered better services.

Room Tip: Ocean view, of course! it makes a big difference
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Caroll G
New York City, New York
Reviewed 24 February 2014

You can see my earlier reviews but we came for 3 nights, this time in a suite in the Hartford wing downstairs. We were very pleased. There were some maintenance issues but they were dealt with after we reported them. The shower in the room has a wide fluctuation of hot and cold water and doesn't keep its temperature well. We like the food and grounds and the ability to go to Atlantis and have the kids take to the slides for a day to break things up. The menus stay the same from year to year but they have things down pat here so why change it? Spa was very good as well, but I would be happier if they would add some spa facilities such as a sauna and jacuzzi. One nice thing about being a returning guest is that a good number of staff people remember us from year to year. I've noticed various reviews stating deterioration of the property and service but frankly I didn't find that to be the case. I saw people working at night to restore hammocks that fell and I didn't notice anything wrong on the property. That would be unfair to the many people on staff who really do appear to enjoy their jobs and guests and do them well.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank 649ic
New York City, New York
Reviewed 23 February 2014

We were shocked by the lack of service at this….supposedly the most upscale hotel on Nassau. What a shame as the property itself is lovely and well situated next to the bustling Atlantis resort.

Upon our arrival we were told proudly that we would have not one but two butlers at our disposal, 24/7 ….we actually rarely saw them. In fact when we only had two bath towels in our room for the three of us (my husband, myself and our daughter), we called our butlers for more bath towels and after waiting an hour we had to call AGAIN and ended up waiting an additional 1/2 hour to get towels from the butler? No… housekeeping. The housekeeping staff did do a good job and when it came time to leave and we wanted to make sure that our housekeepers got the tip that they had earned. They told us to leave it in an envelope for them at the front desk otherwise, guess who would claim it? The butlers.

But that's not all…. our first breakfast in the hotel we waited forever to be served our coffee and the entire breakfast took over an hour and a half. We ended up ordering our breakfast to our room so that it would come on time. But it took hours for the leftover room service trays to be collected. The meals at the restaurants were very expensive and the tuna that my husband ordered actually came to the table cold.

When we approached the tennis court personnel to try to book a pro for an hour in the late afternoon, we asked if there was anyone available to teach at 5:00, 5:30, or 6:00 only to be told "no". Not… I'm sorry they're all booked then, let me see what we can work out… Just "no". When we kept probing for the next day's availability, the answer "we're totally booked".

It seemed as though everyone had their hand out constantly for a cash tip despite the fact that we were charged an additional almost $200 per day for service and taxes on top of our $1,050 per night room rate. For $1200+ per day we expected to have much better service than we received.

After expressing our displeasure to the manager in person the night before we left and again when we were checking out, the concierge staff promised that someone would be calling us to apologize but…. it's been a week and we still haven't received that call.

Needless to say we will not be going back to the One & Only Ocean Club EVER.
And we would not recommend that you go there either...

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the restaurants so it won't be so noisy
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Sandals Royal Bahamian Spa Resort & Offshore Island
Sunrise Beach Clubs and Villas
Sunrise Beach Clubs and Villas
#9 of 14 in Paradise Island

Been to One & Only Ocean Club? Share your experiences!