“Beautiful and peaceful retreat”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Paradise Island
Sivananda Ashram Yoga Retreat
Ranked #1 of 14 Hotels in Paradise Island
Silver Spring, Maryland
“Beautiful and peaceful retreat”
Reviewed 31 May 2012

This place was great. The rooms are clean, you're right on the beach, and 2 vegetarian meals are served everyday. The staff is very friendly and helpful. You'll feel right at home here!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Vrinda B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (224)
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 26 May 2012

My husband and I were looking for a different experience to celebrate his birthday, and our experience at this Compound sadly left us with plenty to remember. I relied on their misleading website. I wasn't laughing when I was there because I was so miserable with bug bites, but once we ditched the place the absurdity of our experience became laughable. My husband estimates that I had no less than 50 bug bites - and this despite the fact I doused myself in repellant.
The food is heavy on the carbs.
Our room was spartan, and there was one towel for each of us for our stay. I had to pay and wash our towels myself during our stay.
I was advised to call several days before our arrival to schedule massages. When I called, I was advised that massages services were not available.
There was virtually no contact with the staff outside of the yoga sessions. The instructors keep to themselves. The place appears to be run by karma yogis ~ folks who work for free apart from food and a place to pitch a tent. I overheard constant complaints from the yoga students of mold everywhere.
While we remain very interested in pursuing yoga, after five days we left the Compound (yes, there is a high creep factor ) and made our way to the Atlantis for a clean room free of mosquitos and a good meal. I would never recommend this place.

Room Tip: If you are determined to go, make sure you get one of the few rooms with a shower.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
18 Thank Margaret J
Stavanger, Norway
Reviewed 17 May 2012

I'd never been to an ashram before, nor across the Atlantic for that matter. This little ashram is like a slice of paradise. It's beautifully planted and has a stunning beach right behind it. People are nice and the ashram is just the right size to make new friends, but not too big or crowded that you feel lonely or lost. Food is DELICIOUS! Accomodations are comfortable. I stayed in a tent hut, mind you these are NOT waterproof! There are several bathrooms and showers, so you'll always find one that's available. If you're looking for spiritual replenishment in a beautiful location, his is the place to go! You'll find inspiration and knowledge here to continue your own Sadhana, or spiritual path. If you're considering it: stop considering and just go! You won't regret it!

Room Tip: Tent huts leak. If you choose a tent space, pitch your tent on the south-east side of the camp. Far...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank AlexZ110106
Reston, Virginia, United States
Reviewed 16 May 2012

I can't think of many places that are more spiritually rejuvenating. The Bhakti Yoga retreat was absolutely amazing. Tourists are sure to experience some realizations as they enjoy the company of like-minded individuals on a quest for spiritual advancement.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Wynwood, Fl
Reviewed 16 May 2012

This is the real thing. I had gone there a couple of times before, and had not got as much as I did on this last time.
The Ashram looks beautiful with its new rooms and suites where true undisturbed tropical nature, spirituality and knowledge coexist.
Magnificent sunrises and sunsets, surrounded by a positive yogi environment, infused by succulent lacto-vegetarian cuisine, will make you come back truly refreshed, much younger and clear.
This is not a Club-Med - far from it, it is an Ashram. it is a much basic and simple structure and environment than that, and much healthier at the same time.
The new suites are fabulous, and the rooms are quite cozy.
You can also enjoy all the benefit of the Ashram: from the yoga classes, to world class lectures and spirituality all around, See web for lectures and courses details you might be interested in around the dates of your travelling . www.sivanandabahamas.org
Fly to Nassau and take a $30 taxi to the marina, where they will pick you up on a boat to take you to the island (once every hour- free 10 minute trip).
No Smoking in the property, pure bliss.

Room Tip: If you are a couple I would recommend the new suites next to the crest of the ocean, Beautiful and p...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank chema f
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 14 May 2012

If you want wisdom, this is one of the best places to go on this planet. Atmosphere is very relaxed, friendly and welcoming. Food is delicious. Caribbean sand beaches and sea are amazing. This is a fantastic place to practice Yoga and to grow spiritually in a community
of like-minded people.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
Toronto
Reviewed 27 April 2012

You dont have to be a yogi, you just have to love the opportunity to relax, have lots of quiet time, enjoy the relaxed environment full of peace.
There is accommodation for all budgets and preferences. We had the wonderful Ganga rooms, that are directly on the water, with balconies that have the best views ever. Yes the food is vegetarian, yes i had to sneak away to a starbucks for coffee (10 minute walk on the beach) but we had the most amazing uplifting time.
We will go back again and again.

Stayed April 2012, travelled with family