“Vacation at the Sivananda Ashram Yoga Retreat”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Paradise Island
Sivananda Ashram Yoga Retreat
Ranked #1 of 14 Hotels in Paradise Island
Tel Aviv, Israel
“Vacation at the Sivananda Ashram Yoga Retreat”
Reviewed 24 March 2014

Last February I went for a two weeks yoga vacation at the Sivananda Ashram Yoga Retreat in Nassau Bahamas Paradise Island.
The atmosphere at the Ashram is wonderful, and it is located right by the beach. The Ashram offers morning and evening satasangs (meditation, chanting and lecture), morning and afternoon yoga classes, different workshops, concerts and inspiring lectures from different guests of the Ashram. The Ashram also offers two rich vegetarian meals a day. For accommodation you can get a dormitory, tent hut or you can bring your own tent and camping equipment, and stay at the tent space.
This is the perfect vacation for relaxation and spiritual inspiration.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (226)
Miami, Florida
Reviewed 23 March 2014

While on my way to leaving a very grateful review(really the least one can do after experiencing the Yoga Retreat) i was shocked to read some comments, but its a free world, so ill just share my AWESOME experience and hope others get a chance to experience this wonderful Peaceful Retreat Center!!! This is my second time already at the Bahamas Yoga Retreat Ashram, Im So grateful to have been there again and im hoping for a 3rd and 4th (Gotta bring the whole family) !!!!.The Island's name speaks for it self, but really the jewel of it all is this wonderful retreat where time simply stops, and you are given a space and place to leave all worries and preconceived notions behind, were you are nurtured with very healthy,very real and very fresh food everyday, were you are encouraged to lead a healthy lifestyle, taking care of your mind and body and every night after a great day full of activities, including 2 yoga classes, talks and courses, beach walks you get to listen to great artist from arround the world, to speakers of many scientific and religious backgrounds also from all over, and you end your day not only nurtured in body but also mind and Soul.Life in community was a great experience for me, you get to share many spaces, not only in the dinning areas, the karma yoga(volunteer help) or the yoga platforms but there are Bathrooms which are close to each other were you also get to meet alot of very interesting people, and the area is always filled with mindfulness , respect and cleanliness. I have been lodging in 2 types of accommodations and have friends who have stayed in the suites by the beach, really there is variety to choose from , from bringing your own tent, or staying in a room to having your own suite with private bathroom. I encourage anyone to give themselves a chance to experience this awesome getaway and to get filled with the peace, tranquility and mindfulness this place kindles.

Room Tip: Theres acommodations for all tastes, adventurous souls who love tenting to the suites by the beach...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
New York City, New York
Reviewed 22 March 2014

The beach is gorgeous and the speakers are very good but the accommodations are lacking. I have been to numerous yoga retreats so I am familiar with simple accommodations. This was not just simple it was dumpy. The bathrooms are gross and shared by too many people. It would not take a lot to make the place nicer. They bring in about $1000 a week per person so they have the resources to make improvements.

Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
11 Thank Melissa H
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 14 March 2014

I have been at the Ashram quite a few times, before the Israeli Swami took over and I do see a bunch of changes before he arrived and after. First before they were more generous no doubt now they charge you for everything even the mat!!! At the same time, before it was not as organized as it is now. Food is very good still but now they serve less of it compared to before. Now here comes the main problem: I HAVE HEARD WITH MY OWN EARS AND SAW WITH MY OWN EYES AT THE SWAMI (the Israeli big shot) who is supposed to be a calm person SNAP at another Israeli guy (an important guy in the Ashram, the second in command), the second guy did not respond and really acted like a real Yogi. In my last trip, I saw another Israeli employee snap at a volunteer (who was not Israeli) I HEARD AND SAW HIM screaming his lungs out and scolding at the poor guy who was a volunteer and quite adorable. I love Israelis but quite honestly, you guys are not in Israel, you are in a very calm and relaxed Island and a beautiful place. You should not be leaders there unless you act and live the YOGA LIVE and I cannot forget seeing the Swami out of control. That to me was very shocking!!! To me he seems like a great manager of the Ashram rather than a real spiritual guide.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
11 Thank barredani
ShankarBr, Guest Relations Manager at Sivananda Ashram Yoga Retreat, responded to this review, 21 March 2014
Hi barredani,

We, at the Yoga Retreat, try to learn from any review on TripAdvisor how we can improve our service and create a perfect experience for our guests, trainees, and staff. Reading your review didn't leave me with any insight on what exactly we could have done to improve your stay.
You've visited us several times which shows that you love the Yoga Retreat enough to return again and again. This pleases me greatly and I hope to see you with us again soon.
I do have to say that I don't quite appreciate your obsession with nationalities. Our staff are ALL volunteers who come (at present) from not less than 17 different countries. Anyone who wants to join us and serve our fellow beings is welcome here without discrimination of any kind. It is unfortunate that you make the country-of-origin of the director of the Yoga Retreat the center of your review.
Besides, knowing the people involved, I'm sure you've misunderstood the situation you've witnessed. Moreover, during your visit in May 2013 (as you mention) our director was not present in the Yoga Retreat.

I wish you all the best, and please let me know how we can serve you better in your next visit.
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 14 March 2014

If you do your research and are honest with yourself about where you're headed, it is impossible to leave the place unchanged.

I was there over Christmas. The food was excellent, the yoga classes great (love the option of levels depending on how I was feeling I could do intermediate or beginner), the atmosphere is incredible. My "tent" room was adorable, just right for a week's stay somewhere warm. I thought all the facilities were very well maintained, especially the main bathroom/shower building.

There were things to get used to: long meditation, kirtan – but again, if you know where you're headed, these should not be obstacles. It took a couple of days of some adjustment, physical, mental and spiritual, but in the end, I didn't want to leave.

Can't wait to return.

Oh, and the location is amazing. The beach is great, the yoga beach platform is lovely, the fact that there is Atlantis, love it or hate it, not too far away for some basics also helps. *I got a bit sick, so it was nice to take a walk to grab some cough meds without going to the mainland.*

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank riaskaya
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 11 March 2014

I took the "yoga for beginners course" of 5 days. Loved the teacher, loved the group, loved the approach and everything I learned on the yoga life. I would recommend this course to anybody who`s new to the yoga practice and who wants to learn how to develop in the wonderful world of yoga.

I am so happy to have discovered this place!

Room Tip: Choose the beachfront rooms.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank LStArnaud
New York City, New York
Reviewed 11 March 2014

The ashram was great for what I needed; a getaway with no distractions to clear my head. The food was delicious, it's right on the beach and people are friendly.

The one thing that drove me nuts was that the bathrooms were filthy. I know it's an ashram (I'm Hindu so I'm quite familiar with the concept) but still it was disgusting. The problem is the bathrooms are cleaned in the morning and by afternoon, there are filthy towels on the floor, tampons strewed about, skid marks in the toilet, hair everywhere.

Also if you're looking for spiritual guidance, forget it. I took a tour of the ashram with "Arjuna" (a white guy from Canada) who seemed consistently annoyed with us the entire time. First he snapped at someone for looking at their watch, (she was trying to make a note of the sun in accordance with the time, not because she was bored), then he became irate when we asked a question about something he mentioned in the tour, (that the ashram has a 99 year lease). He then became annoyed when someone else asked about the meaning of the different colored robes. I found it odd that someone who has been practicing yoga and meditation for 30 years could be so rude and snippy.

I also went to take a Bhagvad Gita class. I peeped my head in and asked if I was in the right spot and he just grunted at me. This was someone training to be a priest. I've gone to a million pujas and have been to Hindu camp as a child and the priests are always warm and friendly so I was pretty surprised.

Interestingly the only person with a bright personality and energy was Dr. Amit Goswami who was simply dropping in to lecture about quantum physics.

If you're looking to just be by yourself and clear your head (not being able to drink, smoke, have caffeine, or go out helps) this is a perfectly good spot. Just don't depend on the ashram itself on helping you with that spiritual awakening. If you have the money spring for the rooms with private bathroom.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
One & Only Ocean Club
One & Only Ocean Club
#5 of 14 in Paradise Island
Melia Nassau Beach - All Inclusive

Been to Sivananda Ashram Yoga Retreat? Share your experiences!